• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Most effective way to wash clothes

Aldy

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2011), Part of the Camino Interior and Frances (2013) Pamplona to Burgos (2014) - Hospitalera (2013, and 2014, 2016) - returning as hopitalera 2017, and walking Burgos-Santiago
Good day to you all,
This forum has been a true resource of information for me. I appreciate all the questions and answers. Although I've seen a bit of traffic on this question, I'd like to ask you all what turned out to be the best method you used to wash your clothes on the way.
Do you have a specific product? method? lessons learned?
Thanks
Aldy - heading out for my first Camino journey May 13th.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I carried and used Camp Suds, I would wash the shirt I wore walking everyday and my pants every 2 to 3 days, after about a week I realized it was a waste of time to wash the pants everyday. I would usually pool a couple of euros with another pilgrim to use a washing machine about every 7 to 10 days or so, the washing machines were quite expensive.

Here's what worked for me; your milage may vary, as they say.

I washed everything I had on, each afternoon upon arrival at the lodging. This was always the first order of business after showering myself. Sometimes I combined the two (trompling the clothes underfoot in the shower) -- this took a bit longer and was less thorough than using the sink/wash basin.
Since I was using the two sock system (liner + heavy), I always washed the liners and most generally the heavies; however if the weather was damp I did not wash the heavies.

I blotted the excess water using a travel towel. Perhaps once a week I was able to combine with a fellow pilgrim and go for a machine wash and dry. NOTE: European washing machines are built differently than ones in the US; sometimes the difference is just the control labelling, and other times the device is just mystifying. Having a local-language speaker nearby can be very helpful. (I am a mechanical engineer by trade; it galls me no end to confess that I cannot figure out how a machine works!)

I had carried the little packets of soap leaves (50 leaves to a packet) because they were solid and lightweight. This was not a good product; it took 5 leaves to generate enough lather to have a decent wash. I went back to using bar soap, and would prefer the liquid peppermint soap I normally travel with.

Take along a half dozen extra-large safety pins - you can use them to fasten the wash to a line, or damp socks to your pack the next morning.

Washing is a pain; washing at the end of a long and exhausting day is a real pain. But if you wait until after dinner, when you have more energy, the wash will not have time to dry. And dry clean clothes are a true joy!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pretty much the same for me - didn't use washing machines though.

We used the big yellow bar of all-purpose soap and it has always seemed effective to get the clothes clean. (You can wash yourself with it as well). We carry our own clothesline which comes in handy in those places where there is limited clothesline space. And the big safety pins are necessary to pin damp-ish clothes to the pack in the morning.

Some folks take a plug as well, because often there wasn't one in the washing sinks.

When it's raining, and you have a lower bunk, you can hang your clothes on the underside of the upper bunk.

Buen camino.

lynne

I started out with the soap leaves from Sea to Summit and found them completely lacking. Next time I am taking a small bottle of liquid Dr. Bronner's Soap instead. I usually washed by hand everything I wore that day after I took my shower. And, like everyone else, every 5-7 days, when I came across an albergue with a washing machine/dryer, I would wash my clothes that way. I wished I had brought a small brush to scrub out some of the dirt from my pants. I did bring a clothesline and it worked quite well many times when clothesline space was limited. I might bring a sink stopper next time. Basically, you want to wash your clothes as soon as you can after you arrive to maximize drying time.

Washed synthetic walking top, underwear and liner socks everyday, trousers and, when needed, fleece only when machine available (3-4 days) I used shampoo for pretty much every aspect of washing myself, my hair and my cloths-I shared a bottle with my walking partner. The type of shampoo didn't seem to matter. The fact that everything had a slight overlay of synthetic apple/coconut/peach scent helped to compensate a little for the inevitable 'l'eau de pelerin' that permeates your clothes! I did try the washing in the shower technique but this was dependent on the state of the shower tray available and, when washing out the red mud of Rioja, it turned my 'off whites' 'off pink'. On a rest day when I got a room with proper bath (a rare find) I did my laundry in situ, the only downside to this was rather wrinkly skin as it took a long time :? .
Our twisty 'no peg' washing line was invaluable for drying (it also had other applications such as securing backpack rain covers and ponchos in high winds) and though I used a screwed up sock and a bit of clingfilm to improvise a plug it would have been useful to have a plug/more effective plug substitute.
As above try and do your laundry as early as possible this gives it as much time to dry as possible.
On our arrival into Santiago we were met by our husbands who had been instructed to bring 'care packages' of clean clothes for us -of course we were absolutely over the moon to see them.....and it was quite nice to see the Stephen and Chris to :lol:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Aldy...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2011!

As you can see from the insightful responses to your query...keeping clean is a primary consideration along the Way.

Over the years I've found that there are two things that are harmful to your body and your equipment:
Sweat and Grit.

Sweat contains salt and salt can accumulate in your clothes in locations that may severely damage the material. Therefore, washing out your hiking kit each day is important. Body odor is also a consideration, therefore I'd shower and wash clothes at the same time, although this wasn't always possible if the availability of hot water was limited...so a quick rinse was better than nothing.

Grit: sand, gravel, mud, etc is an abrasive and continual friction while walking can also break down your socks, boots and webbing. Again, protecting your feet from needless wear and tear can reduce blisters or limit skin abrasions.

Buen "clean is good" Camino,

Arn

Welcome, Aldy
I too used the same product for hair, body and clothing, but I used a Lush shampoo bar for all.They make a nice lather and are compact and lightweight, with no possibility of spilling in my backpack. I washed underwear and socks daily, shirts and pants if it seemed warm enough to dry them overnight. Many albergues have sinks with a sort of washboard at the top, which helps loosen dirt and grime without using too much soap.
Buen Camino!
Suzanne

When I ran out of soap, shampoo and clothes wash at the same time I bought a bottle of liquid glycerine soap and used that.

My somewhat forthright travelling companion didn't say anything so I guess it was ok.

Lifeventure do an all in one soap-washing up-shampoo and clothes liquid which worked really well for me in 2010.

In 2004 I stripped to my boxer shorts and popped everything else into a washing machine at the Monte del Gozo laundrette. The only incident was when three ladies walked past, looked in and burst out laughing. Two of them came back for a second gawp and went away laughing even more. :oops:

I loved arriving in Santiago clean from top to bottom, layers as well as feet to head.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I went to the hardware store when I got to St. Jean and bought a bar of Fels Naptha soap.
It is very inexpensive and it is MADE for hand washing.

I cut it into about 4 slices, gave 3 away and carried one.
It lasted nearly the entire Camino.
I kept it in a little plastic soap carrier I had brought along.

It did a fine job! Plus I didn't worry about it spilling into my pack.
You just get it wet, rub it on the clothes, and scrub.
It works great in cold water.

I would get a shower as soon as I could when arriving at an albergue.
Then I'd take my dirty clothes outside, wash them and hang them.

The albergues almost always provide a line or a rack to dry clothes.

Occasionally you get lucky and find a washing machine.
You generally pay maybe 3 Euros for a load, and that includes soap that they give you, so you don't need to carry it.

Also, keep your eye out for these really cool little clothes spinners.
You put your wet clothes in there and close the lid and it spins all the water out and almost gets the clothes dry, so they then dry very quickly. They are free and sometimes they have these even if you are hand washing.

Sometimes you are able to do your laundry while waiting for the albergue to open.
I often looked to see if this was possible.

You'll figure it out... you'll get into a rhythm that will work for you.

But I highly recommend Fels Naptha.
YOu can just buy it in Spain in almost any store, or you can also find it here, especially in stores that cater to hispanic communities.

Attachments

• fels_naptha.jpg
    fels_naptha.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 11,063
A tip from a long long long time ago when I was in the Merchant Navy. In the tropics we used to go into the shower wearing our underwear and socks .. get all soaked as usual and soap all over as usual, then strip off the clothing and drop it .. carry on showering but start stomping the clothes as you shower (like crushing grapes) ... this really works them clean, and is a deep cleanse for your feet too! Then offer each piece up to the showerhead, rinse it and put it to one side. When all done rinse yourself, turn off shower, wring out clothing - step out of shower - hang up clothing (don't forget to get dressed)

Works a treat!! :wink:

p.s. You do need a real bar of soap though, those mini hotel type ones are just toooo small.

The stomping of clothes in the shower sounds interesting and like it would be a time-saver, but as nellpilgrim pointed out, how clean is that shower you're using? Many look clean but was it washed out with antiseptic cleaner or just swished with water? And how dirty were the dozen or so pilgrims who used the shower before you? I plan to wear sandals when showering to avoid picking up any nasty fungus or infections, and will wash my clothes in a basin.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If "antiseptic" is a necessary standard in albergues, you will be in for a major disappointment!

One more detail---roll them up in your towel, and wring. They'll dry way faster and you can dry off fine with a damp towel.

When we stay in a room and find good "towel power" such as big towels and a bathmat, we wash all our hard to dry stuff before taking a shower.

I prefer when people do not wash clothes in the shower in order to save on the hot water for pilgrims who have not yet had a chance to shower. I understand that stomping on the clothes is during the regular shower time so it is not using any extra hot water, but the rinsing of clothes does extend the shower time quite a bit. I guess on a summer camino, a cold shower would not be a bad thing, however, for winter caminos and in chillier months it is just horrible.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I guess on a summer camino, a cold shower would not be a bad thing, however, for winter caminos and in chillier months it is just horrible.

You jest :lol:

2004 was a blazing summer on the Camino. At Hornillos del Camino the showers were freezing. I swear that my sweat was frozen on to me and dropped off in lumps. Cold showers any time of the year are unwelcome. (I have walked in the months of May, June, September, October and December so lay claim to being an expert on showers :wink: )

I always wear flip flops in the showers and never walk bare footed anywhere. My last veruca cost a fortune to get rid of.

My second post on this subject, I second don't use the stomping of clothes in the shower, like others have said who knows what type of fungus or anything else is lurking in that shower bottom, And it is rude to use up the time and water doing this, I took an ice cold shower at the alburgue in Najera, even though it was quite warm weather wise this was not a pleasant experience. Some alburgues frown upon washing clothes in the shower room, that's why they provide facilities for this task. I do concur with getting this out of the way early, wash yourself, then your clothes, then you pretty much have all your daily chores out of the way. Plus it gives them more time to dry, in Hontanas it was so hot my clothes were completely dry in 20 minutes, in Rabenal it was very cool and damp and took till sunset and even then they weren't completely dry, so the more time the better in the cooler climates.

I 3rd, 4th, and 5th the not stomping clothes in the shower for all the reasons mentioned above.
The most annoying thing of all is to be waiting in a line of people needing to shower while someone lolligags and uses up all the hot water...

I think it's ok to get the clothes wet in there, if you insist, and maybe even soap them up quickly, but I wish people wouldn't do laundry in the showers?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
oh dear, it was just a tip guys .. :? I was talking about underwear, nothing else, thin vest or shirt, underpants and socks - not a laundry load! and I think you will find that the water is the same water, heated elsewhere and running into the laundry area or sinks and the showers.

HHmm .. try it at home and you will see :wink:

My concern was more about getting things dry in time to put them on in the morning. My worst night was in Astorga, where I arrived quite late in the evening. Decided just to wash my undergarments. After getting as much water out by hand, I put them between my liner and sleeping bag, and slept on them. Woke up during the night and they were dry enough to put on, and nice and cosy the next morning.

I carried a length of nylon cord, and where I could get a bottom bunk would string this up under the top bunk and hang my things on that. There were some places that didn't want laundry drying in the dormitory, and at these I would use the drying room or whatever other arrangements they had.

I also carried eight or so wizzpegs (http://www.wizzpeg.com/). Designed to keep socks in pairs, they can also be used to peg out clothes by gripping a section of the material in the jaws, and using the little hook to hang them out. I don't think they would be strong enough to hang stuff from a pack, and one would still need safety pins for that.

The towel roll method wringing the water from wet clothes has served me well on trips where one stays in hotels, but only used it on the one night on my Camino. Most of the time, I squeezed as much out by hand, and if some things were a bit damp in the morning, they went on anyhow.

Finally, where ever there was good laundry facilities, I used them to get as much done as possible consistent with normal standards of decency about what I left myself to wear while the washing was being done!

DougF

This clothes line is light weight and handy. The suction cups attach fairly firmly to glass, and the clip-ends are perfect for the springs under a top bunk bed. I would not recommend dripping wet laundry hanging over your bunk, but it is a good invention for indoor drying. A piece of cord is almost as good!

http://midatlantic.aaa.com/Store/Travel ... Ojo6OjA%3d

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The old albergue at Astorga had a spin dryer. Worth it's weight in gold. If only every albergue had one. I wouldn't mind paying for the electricity and towards the cost of a replacement. Everything I put in popped out almost dry and an hour on an indoor washing line had them ready for wearing.

Br. David said:
oh dear, it was just a tip guys .. :? I was talking about underwear, nothing else, thin vest or shirt, underpants and socks - not a laundry load! and I think you will find that the water is the same water, heated elsewhere and running into the laundry area or sinks and the showers.

HHmm .. try it at home and you will see :wink:

It may be the same water but I don't think there's a need to wash clothes with hot water. But a cold shower is rarely appreciated.

Geeez...22 posts on how to wash your clothes :shock:

It really isn't rocket science. It seems to me to be just common sense.
1. Wash socks and underware when you arrive at albergue.
2. Use towell to wring them as dry as possible.
3. Hang up to dry.
4. Easy to wash them in basin or whatever is provided.
5. Wash shirts or pants as needed which isn't very often after the first week. :wink:

Use the shower to shower.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The "Most effective way to wash clothes" is in a washing machine! Second is a wash tub or basin with a wash board. Third is a bucket. The floor of the shower or a sink will get some dirt out, but are not the "Most effective way to wash clothes". I agree that Fels Naptha is good. Camp Soap can be used for hair, body, and laundry.

She won't be traveling with me:) :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Two albergues with spin dryers that I know of (I have the feeling that it's a British invention): Refugio Guacelmo in Rabanal and Albergue Aitzenea in Triacastela.
This piece of equipment is worth it's weight in gold, especially if you are faced with a rainy afternoon, it literally cuts you drying time to minimum.
I also agree with several others who ask people not to wash their clothes under the shower. First because you are using valuable hot water for others who would also like to have a hottish shower!
Second because you aren't the only one hoping to have a shower - there can be many people still in line. Thirdly: well, I'm not so sure that I want my clothes stomped on the shower floor - risk of infections. Anne

What happened to 3 minute showers (or even 5?) and water conservation?

I totally agree with All those who say 'please don't wash your clothes in the shower'.... for all of the given reasons, plus the need to conserve water. A small basin of water, using the plug you carry, can be used to scrub by hand, all your washing. IMHO this will use far less water than washing them while in the shower.

My second grouch.... drying wet clothes in the dorm!. No wonder some of the dorms are musty and mouldy... a real health issue!! If clothes are washed soon after arrival, there's usually somewhere outside you can tie up your piece of rope or clothes line and your clothes will generally be dry by bed time. Maybe a final airing inside might be necessary, and if it's raining cats and dogs, that's different, too, but generally, wet clothes can be dried outside .... for me, mouldy dorms and beds are an issue. Would we hang wet clothes in our bedrooms at home?

Boy, am I grouchy today or what? Cheers Carole.

Br. David said:
Surely the truly best way to wash your clothes is to give them to your servant ?

Among the orignal pilgrims, some traveled with a full staff. We don't see that today, but it would be traditional if someone were so inclined! It might not go over so well in the albergue.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In Calzadilla they had an old fashioned crank roller machine for squeezing out the water, an invention that has shortened drying time (and maybe ruined clothes) for centuries.

Crikey! - takes me back.
We had one in East London when I was a child. I used to work it for Mother if she caught me before I could get outside to play on the remaining bomb-sites. Frame was green (I think they were all green) and made of cast iron. You could adjust the closeness of the two rollers via a screw thread at the top. It was called a Mangle.
wouldn't it be marvellous if there was one in every refuge!

Photo isn't of me but is of the same period. (One to leave out of the backpack!).

Attachments

• ww2_2_children_mangle.jpg
    ww2_2_children_mangle.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 10,155
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My grandmother taught me to always tie up my hair before doing laundry. She scared me by telling me about a girl whose long hair got caught in the wringer and torn out of her scalp. Made a lasting impression!~

What we call a "mangle" in the United States is a different machine. It is a large ironing machine my grandmother used to iron all the sheets, towels, and clothes on.

Here is a photo of one like we owned and used.

Attachments

• mangle.jpg
    mangle.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 10,070
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, ours was a pretty fancy setup :wink: with the wringer incorporated into the washing machine, and it was electric which made it very dangerous indeed. Like you, Annie, I was always told the tale of getting one's hair caught in it.

Attachments

• wringer-washer.jpg
    wringer-washer.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 10,052
lynnejohn said:
Yes, ours was a pretty fancy setup :wink: with the wringer incorporated into the washing machine, ..........
My mother had one just like this. Ours was cream and green. Ahh, memories!!!!!!!!

Speaking of memories, this is TOTALLY off-topic but I"m trying to remember the name of a product we used in the 60's as a setting gel to roll our hair. It was in a glass bottle. It was green, and VERY slimy, stringy (not a gel) but once it dried, it made your hair very shiny.

Anybody remember this?

we were too poor for mangles,down to the river for us slapping our clothes on the rocks and leaving them to dry.
Joking apart I have often used the out door public wash houses found along the way more so in Galicia. what I first thought was some medieval relic turned out to be something which was the social hub of the village-washing was a pleasure and after instructions by the laughing elderly women I am now quite proficient,it beats the queue at the wash basins and that fight for space on the wash line moving other peoples stuff tighter to make room for yours,and the free standing ones where people fight for the suns rays and do the evening dance with the sun as it sinks.Plus the spiders web of stuff hanging all over sleeping areas.Modern pilgrims are so caught up with washing on a daily basis it looks like some sort of ocd ritual. I think half the blisters are caused by the constant daily wash of socks ( soap powder bobbles) an old solders prevention of blisters is only to wash your socks every 3 days.
all this talk of mangles has put me in mind of my Nans creel a wonderful contraption that she let me haul up to the ceiling where the clothes spent the day drying over her Rayburn.
Ian

€149,-
We have a mangle in our antique shop (same as one in Br David's pic with the 2 kids)...... maybe I can get my 'servant' to carry it!!

Sister in law in England still uses the "clothes airer" / hoisted to ceiling wrack, over her Rayburn (slow combustion stove). Think ours was a Carmichael on the farm up near Wagga Wagga.

Are we still on topic?? Happy washing everyone. Carole

Aye Sagalouts.. you were lucky... clothes?.. we only had rags!!!!!!

Anniesantiago said:
Speaking of memories, this is TOTALLY off-topic but I"m trying to remember the name of a product we used in the 60's as a setting gel to roll our hair. It was in a glass bottle. It was green, and VERY slimy, stringy (not a gel) but once it dried, it made your hair very shiny.

Anybody remember this?

Annie,

The only thing that comes to mind is ''Brillantine'' or ''Green Brillantine''.

Does it ring a bell?

Jean-Marc

No, that wasn't it. Brillantine was oily. This product was just runny and slimy.
When your hair dried it was brittle as a chip until you ran a brush through it. Then it became very shiny and held the curl really quite well!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Grayland and Annie -

What a riot! Terribly off-topic but I think that you are right Grayland, it's Dippity Doo!!!
OMG, I believe that my mother used this awful stuff, the commercial did bring back memories!

And back to topic - indeed not rocket science: an all-purpose camping gel for body, hair and clothes works just fine. Your socks will never get completely clean but the majority of the dusk and grime will come off.

Cheers,
LT

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nope. It wasn't dippity doo (which was a gel).
This was more runny and came in a glass bottle, not a jar..
you could pick it up on your finger and it would run off like snot ::cracking up:::

It smelled good, actually, and was green.
Someone said they thought it was made from flax - and honestly that makes sense. when I soak flax seeds or buckwheat for crackers, the same stringy liquid comes off.

Someone suggested Jo-Cur and that may have been it, but not sure yet.
Thanks everyone :)

Annie, I remember the stuff, probably the precurser to Dippity Doo, but can't recall the name. My Mom would comb in into my hair then put in wave clamps all over so I would have wavy hair when it dried. I'll see if Mom can remember the name of it. Pal

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No, it wasn't homemade but that is EXACTLY how it looked, except it was green!
I'll bet it was some sort of linseed liquid!

YAY!... One step closer to knowing.

I have to blog this recipe - THANKS!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In Scotland in my childhood I remember something called Liquid Green soap that sounds like that.

I always used soap of Marseille to wash my body, included my hair and also my clothes.
You can buy it in France.
Try to get FABRE trade mark Marseille soap, it is artisanal made and very good.
I think that pilgrims have to use efficient soap against bacteries (very important for body and socks).
André Hospitalet (from France)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
annakappa said:
Two albergues with spin dryers that I know of (I have the feeling that it's a British invention): Refugio Guacelmo in Rabanal and Albergue Aitzenea in Triacastela.
This piece of equipment is worth it's weight in gold, especially if you are faced with a rainy afternoon, it literally cuts you drying time to minimum.

just adding this to the discussion on the topic `` Most effective way to wash clothes´´
quite many albergues have washing machines and dryers (secadoras):

Albergue Yesus Y Maria in Pamplona
Albergue Casa Mari in Torres del Rio
Albergue San Saturnino in Ventosa
Albergue Casa del Santo in Santo Domingo
Albergue Santa Maria in Carrion de los Condes
Albergue Camino Real in Calzadilla de la Cueza
Albergue Jacques de Molay in Terradillos
Albergue St Javier in Astorga (a very nice and cosy one!!!)
Albergue de la Piedra in Villafranca del Bierzo
Albergue Internacional in Sarria
Albergue Ferramenteiro in Portomarin
Albergue Buen Camino in Palas de Rei.
THIS LIST IS NOT COMPLETE.

In Villafranca Ave Fenix had lavadora secadora but out of order (April 2011). One of my most terrible nights there.
El Gaucelmo (April 2011) - it was raining and NO WAY to get the wet clothes dry till next morning...What a bad day of K 30 all the way to Ponferrada in heavy rain in wet boots and wet everything...

I prefer hand washing and use a bar soap and a little nail brush to do it. Sometimes I feel it is necessary to use washing machines and dryers when the odours get unbearable...

I would not put my clothes on the floor in the shower room - so filthy are they sometimes!!!

Many albergues do not allow hot water for the laundry.

Buena suerte para su lavanderia!!!

Last year i was 17, arrived in the albergues at 18 maybe 19 O'clock. And had to wash my clothes by hand and leave them to dry.

Lesson learned: Washing clothes isn't a problem, just an upset.

Both Woolite and Tide make little packets of liquid soap for washing in the sink. I used them to wash underwear, sock liners and shirt every day. Hung up to dry overnight. Worked fine and I always felt like I have fresh clothes to wear.

I went to Lush yesterday after reading about the info given by scikowski on this forum. They had several different types of shampoo soaps for different hair types and I was told by the girl in the store that loads of backpackers had told her after buying the soap and travelling in Asia that it was great for washing hair/body and clothes. One soap bar is quite small, but according to the clerk lasts as long as three bottles of shampoo (never mentioned the size of the bottles though :lol: ).

OK - way off topic! Back to clothes washing.

Best suggestion I got here about 6 months ago and it worked perfectly for me.

Get the large, 3 or 4 gallon, Zip-lock bags. Fill with water and soap and add clothes. Zip close and shake or just move the clothes around. Also could leave to soak for a bit as you shower. Uses less water, soap, and you don't need a plug. I kept the container of soap and clothes pins in the bag so it was all together. The zip locks are also great for compressing clothes for the backpack. We took a couple of extra as sometimes the seal stops working.

lindalou said:
OK - way off topic! Back to clothes washing.

Best suggestion I got here about 6 months ago and it worked perfectly for me.

Get the large, 3 or 4 gallon, Zip-lock bags. Fill with water and soap and add clothes. Zip close and shake or just move the clothes around. Also could leave to soak for a bit as you shower. Uses less water, soap, and you don't need a plug. I kept the container of soap and clothes pins in the bag so it was all together. The zip locks are also great for compressing clothes for the backpack. We took a couple of extra as sometimes the seal stops working.

That's a huge bag of water, seems you could wash a lot of clothes...........

Trying to organise a 'water holding' bag that can be used for clothes washing, shopping & washing/bathing feet, maybe only 1+ gallon.

This is an older thread, but I thought I would throw in my two cents.

As someone else wrote, washing clothes isn't rocket science but strangely, this was something that turned out to be my biggest pain. Turns out I am not good at all(!) at washing clothes by hand. The dirt never seemed to fully come out, I could never squeeze enough water out, and I just genuinely dislike it.

But, in the past month I developed the greatest method ever for washing socks, and only wish I had thought of it when I was on the Camino. Maybe everyone else already knows this, but if there's any cloth-washing-impaired people out there, perhaps this will help.

1) Insert one hand into each sock.
2) Get soaking wet.
3) Put a little bit of soap in sock covered hands, and rub, as though you were washing your hands.
4) Rub, lather, rub, lather until the socks are saturated in soap
5) Rinse.
6) Repeat as necessary until clean!
7) Take out hands, squeeze excess water out, hang to dry!

The problem I have with this method is that you are using hot water for washing clothes when there are wash basins outside for that purpose.

The Albergue A Santiago in Belorado has a whole room with washers and dryers that worked great. They did a great job, specially given the non-stop rainy days this past May. People were waiting hours on line at Santo Domingo de la Calzada waiting for 2 washers/dryers. If you can wait one more stop, the next day at Belorado I almost had the room to myself!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
CaminoGen said:
The problem I have with this method is that you are using hot water for washing clothes when there are wash basins outside for that purpose.

Sorry - I probably didn't explain myself as well as I could have.

My method wasn't so much about using more water or needing hot water, and can totally be done in a wash basin - I was just SO excited to figure out that by putting my hands INSIDE the socks and rubbing that way they would get cleaner than not doing that.

Like I said, I'm a bit clothing-washing-impaired, and thought perhaps there were some other folks out there who might find that little tidbit useful. :)

I'm all for conserving as much water (especially the hot water) as possible!

I think this is a great idea EviAnd and will take it on board when I'm out on The Way, thank you

Every few days there would be an albergue with washer and dryer. It was expensive but the only practical way to get it done.

The weather late October to mid December was cool so I wasn't sweating much. It was possible to wear stuff for a few days.

Washing stuff by hand didn't work well. It was too cool and damp for clothes to dry overnight. Even when there was sunshine it was too weak, particularly at the end of the day, to dry much of anything.

Lots of people draped their stuff over the radiators ... which really contributed to unhealthy damp air in the dormitories.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Back in May is was also too damp for things to dry over night especially in the albergues that didn't have their heat on. One way that works really well to help with that issue is to wring the damp clothes in your bath towel to help get rid of excess moisture. This almost cut the drying time in half.

I am so glad we brought four pair of socks and not the two pair I saw recommended so often. Our socks were wet everyday just from walking in the rain so we washed them everyday any ways.

We also took advantage of the washer and dryers but take note that the dryers don't seem to dry as well as what you might be used to in north America.

I have not yet walked the Camino, but I have washed out a lot of clothes while camping and travelling. I always bring a couple of gallon-sized ziplock bags - each bag acts like a washing machine - I bring a couple so that I can do more than one "load" at a time or if the seal on one breaks.

Add clothes to a bag, a squirt of soap, water, and then seal the bag. If something needs to soak, it can soak. The clothes can be agitated in the bag with your hands for as long as you like - great for coaxing the sweat and grime out of the fabric. Then you pour out the water, wring out the clothes, and repeat with clean water for the rinse. Wring out again, blot in a towel if you want, hang dry. And if a stain needs to be scrubbed, it will come out a lot better after the soak.

With this method, you use a minimum of water and don't have to tie up a sink the entire time you are washing or soaking your clothes.

Washed and dried clothing while walking through Galicia is pretty much an oxymoron. I remember a night in Hospital where I think the humidity in the albergues actually added water to my stuff on the line. I suspect the same is true for most of the Camino so far this year :roll: I use a machine to wash and dry every time I find one and I carry a small bottle of liquid washing soap with me, to hell with the extra little weight on my back!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.