• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mountain Designs - Tellus Cargo Pants - The Search

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
You know how it is............?

You test different gear and finally you find something that is perfect, or close to.

And so it was with my hiking pants. Mountain Designs - Tellus Cargo Pants.

But sadly my pair are now showing a bit too much wear and have a few repairs that might not hold. So I need a new pair.

And guess what?

They DON'T make them anymore :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

We have these new ones Sir. No thanks. Too heavy, won't dry well.
Or these......... No thanks. I don't use zip offs.
I'm short and the zips irritate my knees. (I never wear shorts anyway)

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Will I try the Outlet shops for you? They might have old stock. Nothing there either.........

A global online search found some in the UK and USA. :):):):):)

They arrived today...........

They are both 'knock off' North Face pants not even the right brand! Not even the right size, and they got shipped from some company in China.......
Go figure.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Now in dispute with the online stores. (both seem to have same owners)

OK OK, call me 'rain man'.
But I don't want to walk in any other pants.

I like these pants..... :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Anyone got any? Even 2nd hand? Size XL, grey if possible....... :(:(:(

Note to Mountain Designs............
New is nor always better or improved! :p

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@Robo Tigger and I had a similar experience with Ecco sandals. We wanted, specifically, the anniversary model ('cause they are bright pretty colours....) Apparently that model sold out completely in Australia and the UK and most other places. But we eventually found some, on a site that seemed to offer lots of different shoes. Ordered, paid for (including freight) and they arrived = not Ecco's but a cheap horrible knockoff, not the colours we wanted, nothing like, and they were shipped from somewhere in China....

We contacted Ecco here in Australia and the company confirmed it was a website set up to look like the real thing, but fake. It looked absolutely real, with all the security seals (Verizon, etc) "Official Ecco Site" - you name it. In retrospect I should have suspected "Jimmy's restaurant" (the merchant name that came up on my credit card).

There are bots trawling the internets, watching what we look for. When they find lots of people looking for the same thing - usually something hard to find - the information is used to add a product to a false site. People are so thrilled and pleased because they have not found the product elsewhere, they get sucked in and tend to disregard any warning signs.

So, be careful people! On any website, click on the security seals and see if you click through to the security site (so you know it is not just a static photo), check to ensure the site has the locked padlock, check the url - if necessary check directly with the local distributor or company.

PS - Ecco have heard the demand and brought out more of the pretty multi-coloured anniversary model!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Robo and @C clearly - a site similar to the one that suckered us. Definitely fraudulent! Not a secure site, and note that all the security seals down the bottom are static, just "cut and pasted" photos.

If they are advertising a Mountain Design product, then let the company know. Ecco said they do take action and get the site taken down, if they can. Obviously not always possible.

Last edited:
@Robo and @C clearly - a site similar to the one that suckered us. Definitely fraudulent! Not a secure site, and note that all the security seals down the bottom are static, just "cut and pasted" photos.

If they are advertising a Mountain Design product, then let the company know. Ecco said they do take action and get the site taken down, if they can. Obviously not always possible.

Just cancelled credit card and emailed Mountain Designs.........:oops:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having to register to order makes it seem genuine. I wondered why they bothered sending anything. Weird. Maybe so they can argue. I took screen shots of the website, with the pictures of what we ordered, just in case. My bank refunded me the money.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
All my gear was from Mountain Designs in Joondalup Western Australia, best gear I have ever worn as it was light and quick drying and will wear nothing else, the price is also very cheap compared to their brands

I do have a constructive suggestion. When I am on Camino I always wear REI Sahara convertible cargo pants. They are made of 100% nylon, are water resistant, comfortable, easy to wash and fast to dry even when soaked.

However, I has found a superior non-convertible cargo pant in all synthetic fiber. I wear them here in South Florida whenever I need to wear long pants. I have become very used to having LOTS of pockets...

So, consider Propper brand law enforcement / military styled cargo pants. Here is the direct link for the men's synthetic style that I wear:

https://www.propper.com/mens/pants/men-s-stretch-tactical-pant.html

They are available as shorts, and in women's styles and sizes. Here is the women's version of the above pant:

https://www.propper.com/propper-women-s-stretch-tactical-pant.html

For my particular style and size, I have found them very true to size and the elastic waistband is a very nice touch.

Caution, they also make the same trousers in a poly/cotton blend. These are fine for casual wear, but less so for the Camino as they will not dry as fast.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
All my gear was from Mountain Designs in Joondalup Western Australia, best gear I have ever worn as it was light and quick drying and will wear nothing else, the price is also very cheap compared to their brands

My elder granddaughter was surfing Vinnies and the Sals for an old leather jacket to cut up for a school project. I had a wander around Vinnies and found a virtually brand new Mountain Designs Gortex jacket. I don't like Gortex(my previous three emulated colanders in the rain) but at $20 I couldn't pass it up. The lady said she had only put it on the rack 5 minutes before...

De Colores

Bogong

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You may want to check out https://www.mxmids.co.uk/vintage-mo...o-pants-mens-casual-pants-28bm239-p-5121.html but I am suspicious of the site. The domain mxmids.co.uk passed scamadviser.com but at aglobalway.com things were a little more doubtful. Also, they seem to have a very large quantity of the no longer made Tellus pants (and a large amount for a tuxedo too.)

Here are the registration details for the site - it is located in China. I'd give it a miss.

Domain Registered on:
9/3/2009 (8 years 2 months 22 days ago)
Domain Updated on: 9/2/2013 (4 years 2 months 23 days ago)
Domain Expires on:9/3/2014 (3 years 2 months 22 days ago)

Registered with: HANGZHOU AIMING NETWORK CO.,LTD
WHOIS Server: whois.22.cn
Referred: http://www.22.cn

NAMESERVERS:
F1G1NS1.DNSPOD.NET
F1G1NS2.DNSPOD.NET
WHOIS
Domain Registered on: 9/4/2009 (8 years 2 months 21 days ago)
Domain Expires on:9/4/2014 (3 years 2 months 21 days ago)

ADMINISTRATOR
ADDRESS:
liujun , QQ , 87828
E-MAIL: domainlist@126.com
TELEPHONE: 18659269655
FAX: 18659269655

BILLING
ADDRESS:
liujun , QQ , 87828

REGISTRANT
ADDRESS:
liujun , QQ , 87828

TECHNICAL
ADDRESS:
liujun , QQ , 87828

I would second the REI Sahara Convertible Cargos. I wore mine every day (yes they were washed) from May 16 - June 27 with the legs on and off, mostly off... it was hot. I could tell if I had all my essentials by patting the cargo pockets. They’re durable, comfortable and dry fast. They also have side leg zippers so you don’t have to remove your shoes to take off the legs. You can see them in my profile pic or on line.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Agreed. Hence my reason for trying to replace my current pants. ;)

I have adopted a saying I learned in the mist of time past...

"You remember the value you received LONG after you forgot the price you paid..."

This has become my watchword phrase when shopping for anything from socks to a car...and even to my recently bought and renovated house.

Sometimes, the lowest price is NOT the best value...and vice versa...just because something has a name brand and is outrageously costly does not make that a quality product either.

Over 50 years as a consumer, I have founds that the intersection of price and value is a "sweet spot" defining best value. This is not always the least expensive; nor, most expensive item. Also, "value" is or can be a highly subjective term.

In the Camino point of reference, it could mean lots of pockets and durable fabric in pants. For a rucksack, it could mean back comfort, lots of configuration adjustments, and even color... So, too for footwear. Value is strictly in the eye of the beholder and everyone has an opinion.

On balance, I rather suspect that "Rule One" of the Camino Rules applies here...to wit...

"Everyone does their own Camino. No one has the standing or 'right' to judge another person's Camino. This includes how they choose to plan it, prepare for it, equip for it, or accomplish it."

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.