• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Multi socket adapter

quietwun

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (April 2014)
I can't find a better word for it it, but have read it could be useful--one if the gadgets that allow a number of items to be plugged in (to share limited outlet space.)

I was gifted one from Austria but I am sadly thinking it might not be suitable.

It is 3 pronged-- I presume this is grounded and maybe more modern than would be in albergues? My 2 pin adapter actually won't get past the plastic housing even, though I am tempted to alter it, if the 3 would go into the wall. Spacing of the 2 is the same.

Are my assumptions correct? Can you find these "things" but 2 pins readily in Spain?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Could you post a pic of the adapter you have?

What devices do you have? Do they all handle 220V aka Spanish power?

If they all use 220V the simple thing is to get a North American power bar with enough outlets for your devices. Then you only need one adapter to plug the power bar into the wall.

If you need a North American to EU adapter you're much more likely to find it at home. In Europe you'll find ones going the other way.

Back to the devices. Small devices that use USB can benefit from a gang USB charger.

For example

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EJA28ES/?tag=casaivar-21

That's UK so it's the wrong plug. But with one of those you can charge five devices.

Thanks..I will work on posting a pic when it isn't after midnight. I have never done it.

I will probably only take a phone with camera, so USB would be all I would need. I have a North America to Europe 2 pin adapter but am open to other set ups--a combo USB/outlet would be more useful than the straight phone charger.

The 220 wouldn't fry a NA power bar, or do they adjust like a lot of electronics??

Laughing as I have been thinking about walking for years but now that it gets down to being probable, the details are many.

Trying to not overthink this. Somehow defeats the purpose,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If it's just a simple power bar. Very basic. Then all it does is pass the power on.

220V actually allows thinner wire then 110V. So the North American power bar is over built for 220V. Just need to avoid the ones with built in surge protectors or other add ons.

If it's just the phone and you want to share the outlet with somebody elses phone just get a dual USB charger.

Yes, thanks. I think that is a much better solution than the cumbersome way I was headed.

image.jpg ote="NicoZ, post: 181945, member: 25228"]If it's just a simple power bar. Very basic. Then all it does is pass the power on.

220V actually allows thinner wire then 110V. So the North American power bar is over built for 220V. Just need to avoid the ones with built in surge protectors or other add ons.

If it's just the phone and you want to share the outlet with somebody elses phone just get a dual USB charger.[/quote]

Above is a photo of the one I took in May 2013, in use now by my bed and still with my name all over it so it wouldn't jget nicked! Bought cheaply in a french supermarket. Extremely useful and I was often everybody's best friend when they couldn't find a vacant socket!

Karin

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, Nico, it is a French socket - but if you use the flat type plugs then all is OK. Trust me!

Most of the two-pin, European type, "Schuko" style sockets I saw along the way were in older hostals or albergues. They tended to be the two pin - ungrounded type - as opposed to the three pin grounded variety.

You can usually find a three-outlet, two-prong wall tap to share a single outlet with two others at any ferreteria (hardware store) or Oriental / China Bazaar shop in Spain. The first possibility along the Camino Frances will likely be in Pamplona. :)

You can also these devices in St. Jean Pied de Port before you start. There is a Carrefour supermarket (Avenue du Jai Alai, on the north side, outside the town walls, down the street from the train station), and at least one magazin de bricolage (DIY store) "Philippe Garicoix," at Rue d'Uhar #6. I bought a three-way, two-prong tap here last year. It is through the gate, next to the church, across the bridge, first street on the right, then on the left.:)

Most small electronic chargers (Smart Phones, tablets, cameras, etc) come with two-pin chargers. The FIRST thing to check is whether the charger for your device is multi-voltage. That means, check the itsy-bitsy fine print that "folks of a certain age" (including me) must use a magnifying glass to see states: INPUT 100 - 240 VAC, 50 - 60 Hz. OR, it might state 110 - 250 VAC, 50 - 60 Hz, or something similar.

If your charger DOES say this then you ONLY need the converter plug to change the shape of the pinson your charger to the two round-pin Schuko-type European plug. A two-pin EU plug / adapter will fit inside the recessed three-pin grounded socket.

If your charger DOES NOT have this printed on it, then you will need to either: (a) obtain a European charger that works, and already has two-round prongs on it; or (b) bring along a power transformer that converts 220 VAC European current to 110-110 volt North American current. But bringing a second "thing" adds dead-weight.

Failure to do one of these if your charger is NOT a multi-current charger will FRY your electronic gear. The plug shape adapter alone will not work unless the current capacity is compatible.:eek:

My personal solution was to buy an Apple iPad compatible charger in Europe. The ONLY difference between the North American and European chargers is the power prongs - and they are interchangeable. One thing I have NOT yet done is to find out if my local Apple store carries the two-prong European style head that will easily replace my two flat-blade North American power prong head. This would be the cheap way to fit me up.

I also bring a unique, multi-head charging cable I found on the internet. It plugs into a USB outlet (charger, computer, etc.) the multi-head has male plugs for my iPod Touch, micro-USB, and mini-USB devices. So, I bring one charger and one cable for all my devices.

I hope this helps.;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One thing I have NOT yet done is to find out if my local Apple store carries the two-prong European style head that will easily replace my two flat-blade North American power prong head. This would be the cheap way to fit me up.

Generally, Apple wants you to buy its World Travel Adapter Kit at $40, so this is not exactly a cheap way. At least around here you can't buy a single plug head from them. I'd be curious to know if the Apple Stores up your way are more flexible about this.

Most of the two-pin, European type, "Schuko" style sockets I saw along the way were in older hostals or albergues. They tended to be the two pin - ungrounded type - as opposed to the three pin grounded variety.

Both the German and the French Schuko are grounded. The French with the prong in Larazet's photo. The German has a ear (or what ever you call the thing) On one wall of the socket. Both are shown in the link I posted.

I think the German socket is supposed to be the new EU standard for most countries. Who knows if it'll ever take over.

Interesting and helpful.

Looking now at Nico's link, my multi outlet is indeed the Swiss type...quite unique. Was a nice thought by a friend but just not what I need.

My phone voltage will be okay, will go with the basic 2 pin adapter knowing I could get a multi there if it looks like it would be helpful for sharing.

The idea of one that has USB and AC is good too and have sourced one.

Lynda

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As long as everyone understands the important difference between a plug adaptor so your charger fits the wall socket (flat pins to round pins) and a transformer to change the voltage if it is not already multi-current capable, everything should be just fine.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.