• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Euro adapter

proudapo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2024
Do we need to bring a Euro adapter for charging phone & watch on the Camino?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last edited:
The one I found on Amazon is an adapter/charger. With that I don’t need to bring any chargers, just cables.
Yes, that's a good choice.

I bring a European plug charger with both USB A and USB C ports, but it's not any bigger than the charger that I use at home.

1000018170.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one I found on Amazon is an adapter/charger. With that I don’t need to bring any chargers, just cables.
True but most of the space (and maybe weight) on that device is for the power adapter. You don't need a power adapter for a charger. Look at your charger at home and you see that it is non-polarized and accepts 100 to 200+ volts and both 50 and 60 hertz, it's good worldwide.

If you don't bring any appliance or electronic device to plug into the power adapter ports it's a waste. Besides I doubt the adapter flips the polarization. The type c plug could be plugged in upside down and this could connect the wall's live power to the neutral outlets on the adapter and vice versa. Possibly the device can handle this swap but, again, I doubt it. Also, type c has no ground so the grounded receptacle is worthless.

Edit: This is worse than I thought. I checked the description to see if it handled the polarization swap. It didn't say anything but then I noticed that it doesn't even convert the voltage (it says this). It will be feeding 220 volts to an outlet that people will assume is going to feed 120 volts to an appliance.

Last edited:
EU type phone chargers are easy to buy in Spain, just don’t get one from a bargain store or probably at the airport before you depart.

True but most of the space (and maybe weight) on that device is for the power adapter. You don't need a power adapter for a charger. Look at your charger at home and you see that it is non-polarized and accepts 100 to 200+ volts and both 50 and 60 hertz, it's good worldwide.

If you don't bring any appliance or electronic device to plug into the power adapter ports it's a waste. Besides I doubt the adapter flips the polarization. The type c plug could be plugged in upside down and this could connect the wall's live power to the neutral outlets on the adapter and vice versa. Possibly the device can handle this swap but, again, I doubt it. Also, type c has no ground so the grounded receptacle is worthless.

Edit: This is worse than I thought. I checked the description to see if it handled the polarization swap. It didn't say anything but then I noticed that it doesn't even convert the voltage (it says this). It will be feeding 220 volts to an outlet that people will assume is going to feed 120 volts to an

Edit: This is worse than I thought. I checked the description to see if it handled the polarization swap. It didn't say anything but then I noticed that it doesn't even convert the voltage (it says this). It will be feeding 220 volts to an outlet that people will assume is going to feed 120 volts to an appliance.
Thank you so much for your input.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you so much for your input.
Something I should have written earlier. That device you linked to in post #5 looked like it did three jobs: charger, plug adapter and power converter when really it only did the first two.

I have one like this that accommodates both my CPAP and my phone charging cord.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FJWLLDB?tag=casaivar02-20
Janet, I hope it is like the linked one (in appearance) because the description for that essentially says that is not a power adapter. It also, like the one linked to in post #5, will pass the 220 volt power through to the American style outlet unchanged and that can destroy equipment. The description says that what you plug into it must be able to handle the higher voltage.

P. S. I was joking about the camo. American stereotype.

If you’re from NA probably. iPhone, watch, iPad power supplies are switch mode power supplies. They automatically switch from 110 volts to 230 volts. For those all you need is a flat blade to round European plug adapter. Anything else you need to check the specs to see if they are strictly 110 or switched mode. 110 volt appliances don’t play well at 230 volts. If you are going to buy a converter, buy a good one. I’ve seen cheap ones flame out!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Something I should have written earlier. That device you linked to in post #5 looked like it did three jobs: charger, plug adapter and power converter when really it only did the first two.

Janet, I hope it is like the linked one (in appearance) because the description for that essentially says that is not a power adapter. It also, like the one linked to in post #5, will pass the 220 volt power through to the American style outlet unchanged and that can destroy equipment. The description says that what you plug into it must be able to handle the higher voltage.

P. S. I was joking about the camo. American stereotype.
My CPAP and phone are dual voltage so no need to worry. I wouldn't use a hair dryer with it though...

Found this one on Amazon.
European Travel Plug Adapter, LENCENT International Type-C Foldable Power Plug with 4 Outlets, USB C Charger Adaptor, US to Most of Europe EU Iceland Spain Italy France Germany, Cruise Ship Approved https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C5DDVFFB?tag=casaivar02-20
As a caution, the listing in this case does not seem to say anything about whether the device has been 'certified' for use in the EU. While Lencent appear to be a reputable maker in this regard, it is worth checking. None of the images in the advertisement show the approval panel on the device, nor is there any compliance statement elsewhere that I could find.

This is what I use. I bought it in Europe. IMO it's great.

Their website has a store-finder feature.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just buy a two-prong USB power supply from a reputable high-street store in Spain. If you’re concerned use an inexpensive ‘power-bank’ as a buffer; charge that then charge your devices from the bank.

My longstanding US friends describe UK 3-pin plugs as the type of kit you might use for connecting two power-stations together in the US. We probably tend to overkill, whilst other countries are more lax. If you’re plugging in a couple of $k’s worth of kit, don’t rely on a China-store euro-adaptor , spend the whole €10 and buy a decent one.

As an aside.
I ordered one from Amazaon Spain for delivery to my Hotel at my start point in Spain.
Worked great.

But I did ask the Hotel first if it was OK to do so.

Of course you can just buy one when you get there.
I just like to be 'prepared' :rolleyes:

I didn't tape my adapter to my charger one year and left the adapter behind in an albergue outlet. Next day I stayed at a hotel and asked at the front desk where I could buy a plug adapter for my charger. The man at the desk told me that it wouldn't be necessary and brought out a small bin of Euro plug chargers that had been left behind and let me pick one out.😊

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I didn't tape my adapter to my charger one year and left the adapter behind in an albergue outlet. Next day I stayed at a hotel and asked at the front desk where I could buy a plug adapter for my charger. The man at the desk told me that it wouldn't be necessary and brought out a small bin of Euro plug chargers that had been left behind and let me pick one out.😊
Same happened to me in Melide same outcome; they had loads!!!!

Found this one on Amazon.
European Travel Plug Adapter, LENCENT International Type-C Foldable Power Plug with 4 Outlets, USB C Charger Adaptor, US to Most of Europe EU Iceland Spain Italy France Germany, Cruise Ship Approved https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C5DDVFFB?tag=casaivar02-20
This one is very good. JUST REMEMBER that only the USB sockets are converted from 220 VAC - 50 Hz to 5 volts, or whatever is needed to charge USB devices. The conventional AC plug does NOT convert voltage.

But if you have a US product that is international voltage, but with two flat blade pins (US/CN standard) you still need a plug pin adapter to go from two flat blade pins to the two round pins present on all European devices.

Have a look at these - or similar. I always bring an extra, as they tend to "walk." https://www.amazon.com/6PKSCHUKO-Grounded-American-European-Adapter/dp/B0038L54ZO/?tag=casaivar02-20

Hope this helps.

Tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I guess my set up is different. I use an Anker super fast charger. This will work with both 220 or 110v.
Then the cord that supplies it can be any length you choose, 1 ft, 2 ft, 4 ft, 6 ft.
If there's a crowded outlet strip, the cord will be able to fit in anywhere.
This also brings the charger closer to the bed/night stand.
I did a short video on this a couple years ago seen here.

Last edited:
My longstanding US friends describe UK 3-pin plugs as the type of kit you might use for connecting two power-stations together in the US. We probably tend to overkill, whilst other countries are more lax. If you’re plugging in a couple of $k’s worth of kit, don’t rely on a China-store euro-adaptor , spend the whole €10 and buy a decent one.
One of the reasons for the size of UK plugs is that they are individually fused. I understand that this is because UK houses are wired using a 'ring main', an approach used in industrial and commercial buildings elsewhere, but not in houses.

I earlier recommended a type C plug adapter and Tom has just done so for an adapter that fits type E and F outlets. Although Spain uses, as standard, type F, either a type C or F will do the job. I'm going to go into detail and say why I recommend type C.

There are a number of plug and outlets in use in Europe and standard plugs from one country might not fit in a standard outlet of another. It turns out though that the type C plug will fit into type C, E, F, H, J, K, L, N or O sockets, this covers all of Europe except those using type G plugs and sockets (UK, Ireland, Malta, Cyprus and some other non-European countries). So a type C adapter adapts better than an E or F. It is lighter, smaller and cheaper (yeah, take a half dozen and hand some out to fellow pilgrims).

There are advantages to using one like Tom recommended though. The hot line from the wall will end up connecting to the hot line of the cord you plug into the non-type C end of the adapter. Also, if your appliance needs a ground that will also be connected.

I really don't like these plug adapters that connect European electrical systems to US appliances without correcting voltage and hertz. In albergues someone might plug in to one and ruin their equipment.

This website shows you the types of plugs and sockets used worldwide:

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Rick of Rick and Peg is right. You don't need anything bulky, nor a power converter. And heed his advice and tape the adapter to your charger.
Ha ha. Had to laugh at this because of what happened to me last June. It was dark in the Albergue when I got up with a few other pilgrims and we didn't turn the light on to disturb the other pilgrims that were sleeping. I reached across and pulled my phone cord out of the socket and shoved it into my pack. When I got to my Albergue that night I realized that when I pulled my phone cord out the adapter stayed in the wall socket and I had not noticed because it was dark. So I guess I should have taped the adapter to my phone cord. Lesson learned. I German fellow said buy one from a gas station, which I did.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I use an EU compatible USB plug, it's all you need with your mobile charger cable. Available via Amazon or any mobile store in Spain.

Also think about longer cables. The plug isn’t always next to your bed/bunk
I always bring a 10 ft/3 meter charging cable. I can only think of two or three nights out of hundreds that I wasn't able to reach an outlet from my bed.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
EU type phone chargers are easy to buy in Spain, just don’t get one from a bargain store or probably at the airport before you depart.
They are available at most airports, but the price will be better elsewhere.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Something like this gives you options to charge 2 items from 1 plug. In some hostels there might be more residents than plugs.

Attachments

• IMG_8117.jpeg
    IMG_8117.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 4
By adaptor, I assume you mean plug adapter and not voltage adaptor. Right? Most electronics these days are capable of handing voltages from countries all around the world, so a voltage regulator is probably not necessary unless you have some sort of specialized equipment. In that case check with the product instructions.

I my 2022 Camino, I took along two small plug adapters, a short 3-foot extension cord with 2 USA plugs at the end. I simply used the adaptor to plug the extension cord into the wall and then the 3 USA plugs at the end to charge my various electronics all at the same time (phone, Fitbit Watch, and backup battery). It worked very well for me and will do the same on my upcoming Portuguese Camino in May/June 2024.

Oh, it was good that I brought along a second plug adaptor because once when I pulled the extension cord from the wall I left the adaptor behind. However, they are readily available in many shops along the way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Something like this gives you options to charge 2 items from 1 plug. In some hostels there might be more residents than plugs.
When i got to my Albergue one day and pulled my phone cord out to charge my phone and then realized I left my adapter in the last Albergue this fellow had a adapter like this and let me charge my phone with his. I was so happy he had a multi charger.

You only need one of these (if you tape it and your charger together so you don't lose the adapter). Much smaller, lighter and cheaper. Look around and you might see fewer in a pack. I brought two with me on my last trip.

Type C power adapter: https://www.amazon.com/European-Adapter-Europe-Travel-Converter/dp/B097GCZWMM/?tag=casaivar02-20
This is what I used on my last 2 trips throughout the EU and they work fine. I took 3 since they are so light and I can use the adapters on 2 items at once. One for spare/loss, pack you fears.

There are also battery packs available that recharge themselves from solar power. I presume that some of them are quality products, but two or three were abandoned at our albergue that turned out to be garbage when I tested them.

Those are useful for wilderness backpacking trips, but are heavier than battery packs that you can charge at a wall outlet.
The ones I have seen/tested were lighter than any of the many plug in ones I’ve used. But as I said, all of those were junk (which explains the pilgrims leaving them behind).

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Cheers, I'm on the last week before my first Camino (frances) and anxiety is rising... I will start from SJPP on apr/30, and understood that maybe on the first section of the Camino, I might...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have about a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. I'm not a super big planner, but I'm...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.