• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Left adapter in wall & can't charge phone

ChrissyOnTheCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2023
I was at A Santiago albergue/Hotel last night snd left my Australian adapter in the wall, so l know have no way to charge my phone. I am in Atapuerca tonight snd Burgos tomorrow. Can anyone offer me any help??
Thank you
Chris

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
If they don't have the right plug adapter (give it a chance!) then buy a standard Euro power adapter. They are not expensive. I gave up on taking my power adapter with a euro plug adapter from home long ago, and just use Euro adapters. I'm surprised it took you this long to leave your plug adapter in the wall back there. I lost three before Leon.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was at A Santiago albergue/Hotel last night snd left my Australian adapter in the wall, so l know have no way to charge my phone. I am in Atapuerca tonight snd Burgos tomorrow. Can anyone offer me any help??
Thank you
Chris
Obtain a EU standard charger in a local electronic or hardware store. Or, try a China store, Oriental Bazar, etc,.

Plug your USB cord into it. Save the EU charger for your next trip to this part of the world. If the charger cord was attached to the list charger, buy another one as well. It is likely a generic USB-A or USB-C cord.

The end that plugs into your phone is likely lightning, micro USB, or USB-C. You can find all of these cords locally as well.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you
Chris
I've done that so many times! Can't get my head around how I can unplug and leave that gadget behind! I always found a place to buy a new one.....ask a local or at Albergue (maybe they have mine!)

Obtain a EU standard charger in a local electronic or hardware store. Or, try a China store, Oriental Bazar, etc,.

Plug your USB cord into it. Save the EU charger for your next trip to this part of the world. If the charger cord was attached to the list charger, buy another one as well. It is likely a generic USB-A or USB-C cord.

The end that plugs into your phone is likely lightning, micro USB, or USB-C. You can find all of these cords locally as well.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Good advice. A couple of years ago I just bought a European plug, and now I just leave my Australian plug at home and never need an adaptor.

The EU plug fits in all planes on the way over and back, and more and more you don't even need a plug as USB outlets are becoming ubiquitous.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good advice. A couple of years ago I just bought a European plug, and now I just leave my Australian plug at home and never need an adaptor.

The EU plug fits in all planes on the way over and back, and more and more you don't even need a plug as USB outlets are becoming ubiquitous.
Yes thats now my plan

Goid suggestions here. I lost two adapters my first trip to France! This last trip I bought some hot pink duct tape and stuck pieces on all my electronics, including cords. Hard not to notice them with that bright pink!

As you stand facing the main entrance to the cathedral in Burgos look over to your left. There is a general purpose store that sells electrical goods. I walked in there after leaving my adaptor the night before. I had to endure a huge amount of shouting in Spanish followed by a lot of hugs but emerged with a flying lead and a "brick" with several USB outlets in it. All for a reasonable cost. ( But not worryingly low, see HenrytheDog's warning )

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Australia and Great Britain are two famous outliers who persist in using the HUGE three prong plug.

All of continental Europe, that I have ever been to, uses the two round pin Schuko type C plug.

In North America, we use a two-bladed, non-grounded, plug (the pins are flat and perpendicular to the floor) for non grounded small appliances.

Many folks accumulate these over their travels. I buy them in bulk, on Amazon. So, I always have one available.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Really, you only need something like what is illustrated on this page:

One end plugs into the wall and one end has one or more slots for your cord, just make sure your cord fits the slot. I recommend that you get one that will power at least two devices at once. These could be your phone and power bank or one of your things and one of someone else's.

If there are multiple slots they may be identical or you can find a charger where they are different shapes. My Android phone uses USB-C cords but my wife's phone uses a USB-A cord so I have chargers that accept both types.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
All of continental Europe, that I have ever been to, uses the two round pin Schuko type C plug.
Not quite.
Switzerland is different. Smaller pins, and an octagonal plug shape. And Italy is different again, three pins in a row.
Others may also be different, too, but I only know these two countries.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
should work in Switzerland - you just use two of the three holes in a type J socket if you are using a standard two-pin type C plug.
Nope. Prongs on my comuter plug (from the EU) were too fat, and anyway the socket was the wrong shape, and inset. My multi-plug adaptor didn't work either. My host lent me an adaptor that did work, made in the US. 🤔

€46,-
The two pin prongs we've been talking about really is not the standard for any country but is something that does work for most European countries. I've even read that it can be used with UK type outlets with a bit of fooling around. Anyway read about the Type C plug that works in outlets of other types here:

I've even read that it can be used with UK type outlets with a bit of fooling around.
I'm a Brit living in a house full of type G sockets. I've just tried lining up a Type C plug with the live and neutral ports of a Type G socket. It looks as if they would physically fit given a bit of a push. But as I don't want to test my fairly recently installed distribution board and risk cutting off my power supply I haven't actually plugged it in! :) Modern British sockets should have a safety device on the earth pin ("ground" for our colonial cousins) which prevents their use with a two-pin plug.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But probably not a two-pin plug and a chopstick.
Yes, you can push the earth pin of a UK socket in with a (non-conducting) implement and plug in a 2-pin plug. You ‘can do’ many things; but it’s not advisable.

My American friends describe UK plugs as the type of thing they would expect to use only to connect two power-stations together in the States.

Hi,

You can look also at the Correos post office, I lost mine also and bought one in Correos (but in Leon)

Thank you
Chris
I often do that. So does everyone else, I found out, when I realized that every albergue Lost and Found box is full of them. Yours for the asking.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I cant buy an Australian to Spanish adapter here (only Spanish to Australian). The iphone has a USB-C lightning cable-the end is small
Many cities (two dozen plus) have a K-Tuin which sells Apple products, including chargers for iPhone. And I would expect lots of other stores (including at least one in every airport) to have a wall-wart with a USB-C port that an iPhone cable could plug into. Also, every airport I've been in (several dozen, three in Spain) has had a store selling "universal" adapters.

Thank you
Chris
Buy a Spanish USB plug from any supermarket or mobile store, no Australian adapter needed, it'll work fine.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.