• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Muxiana certificate in name of deceased

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances- 2017
Santiago- Finisterre (2018)
yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she would walk the Camino -she was always so interested in people and other cultures) she was an avid hiker and had walked part of the Camino from Sarria - look out for those free hugs she always told me! She loved to hear of my many Caminos over the years. I know that walking into Santiago I can get a name added to a compostella in remembrance of those we are walking for, but I am walking Santiago to Muxia in April and I wondered if it was possible to do the same? I have not picked up a compostella or any other certificate in years of walking ( since my first) With thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Most importantly; I’m sorry for your loss.

I have obtained three Compostelas dedicated to others (only two of whom are human); but nobody actually asked me to prove my name in the first place.

I doubt there is a similar vicarie pro option for what is essentially a souvenir.

The name you state when collecting a Muxiana is pretty much your decision, which might lead you to a solution.

Last edited:
@KRA2018 I am sorry for your loss. May her road be straight. The Vicare Pro addendum to a Compostella is, in my knowledge, unique. You might be able to persuade the staff at the Turismo, or the Albergue, in Muxia to make an annotation on their certificate but I think that that would be unlikely though not impossible. The Muxiana is, essentially, a souvenir and not some quasi-sacred document.

Might I suggest you turn your journey around. If you were to walk from Fisterra to Muxia (a lovely walk) and then to Santiago your walk would meet the requirements for a Compostella and the staff at the Pilgrim's Office would, of course, be willing to annotate that "in vicare pro".

Whichever route you choose I am sure you will take her with you.

Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I completely understand and I thank you. The fact it is a really a tourist certificate is true and I am now rethinking my plans and thinking a reverse trip might be possible to Santiago - thank you - regardless of what I do I will be thinking of her on the way - she was a librarian and an avid collector of people and things and words - she would joy in my walking again however short

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she would walk the Camino -she was always so interested in people and other cultures) she was an avid hiker and had walked part of the Camino from Sarria - look out for those free hugs she always told me! She loved to hear of my many Caminos over the years. I know that walking into Santiago I can get a name added to a compostella in remembrance of those we are walking for, but I am walking Santiago to Muxia in April and I wondered if it was possible to do the same? I have not picked up a compostella or any other certificate in years of walking ( since my first) With thanks
I have worked and lived in both Muxía and Fisterra on and off for 10 years. Never heard of this there but I am sure they will. If it's ok for the Cathedral it will be ok for M and F. If the hospi at the Xunta albergue in Muxía won't do it, Ángel and Celia at Albergue Bela Muxía surely will. Likewise at Fisterra, if Tourist Office says no, ask Begoña at the Xunta albergue.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.