• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My 2.2 Kilo/4.3 Pound CF Packing List

StFina

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, June 2012
CF, July 2012
CF, September 2016
Camino Primitivo, May 2017, followed by Camino Frances, late May, 2017
After three past Caminos, I have managed to get everything I need to bring down to 2.2 kilos, (4.3 pounds), not including my pack for my upcoming May 29th 2017 Camino Frances. I have found in the past that you don't need even a fraction of what you think. I especially hate getting home after a Camino and unpacking things I never used. Rule of thumb, if I am not absolutely positive I am going to use it and need it, the item stays home. Here is the breakdown:

- Several weeks ago, I started using shave cream, bar soap toothpaste and the like, measuring out exactly how much I need for my trip. I add another 5% for spillage, and only take that much, nothing else. I use Dr. Bronner's bar soap for hair, body and clothes washing. I wash three or four items each day now to make sure I am getting an accurate assessment of future soap use as well. I take on disposable razor with one spare head.

- For meds, I take a few Imodium and ibuprofen tablets in a small plastic bag. Pharmacies are readily available if something should go awry.

- Bring one and wear one. Wear one pair of socks, bring one. Same holds true for shirts and other garments. I only bring one pair of ultra-light hiking pants. I wear one pair of light shorts, and a pair of nylon gym shorts to sleep in.

- I took a postage scale to the local REI store and actually weighed the ultralight long pants, socks and shorts, buying the lightest pairs I could find.

- Silk is your best friend. I bring two long sleeve silk shirts, 2 ounces each. When layered underneath a superlight rain parka, I can stay warm down to about 32 F. I have been walking daily with this outfit in the Northeast US at temperatures as low as 20 F in rain and snow with no problems keeping warm. I also bring a pair of silk long underwear, about 3 ounces.

- I use rain chaps under my parka. Only 4 ounces for the pair, and they keep my legs dry if it rains. My parka is ultralight Gortex, 7 ounces.

- No stuff sacks, only large ziplock bags.

- I take labels of everything to save weight, whether it be clothes or any other item.

- I copied my Camino guidebook, compressed the pages and have the entire book on four sheets of paper. Copy maintained in my IPhone as well.

- No electronics outside of my IPhone, cable and superlight USB charger.

- I scrutinize every ounce. If I have three toothbrushes, I will weigh all three and take the lightest one, drilling holes in the handle to save weight.

- I have comfortable very light walking shoes that I have used on past Caminos with no problems or blisters. I don't take a second pair of shoes. I found out that in the past, I normally stayed in my walking shoes even after arriving at the albergue.

- Normally, I only take a silk sleep sack soaked in pemrethrin for night time, 3 ounces. I have relied on blankets from the albergues in the past. Leaving May 29th, I should be OK. If not, I have an 11 ounce down blanket that I can also take.

I scrutinize everything for weight. Anything that might not be used stays behind. People may laugh, but I am that guy who pulls into the albergue with the incredibly tiny backpack and doesn't suffer any worse for the wear. I used method this on my September, 2016 Camino and it simply worked flawlessly. The only wildcard is water. I buy a 2 liter bottle upon arrival from a local market or bar, and simply fill it up each time I find a fountain.

The excitement never dulls. Three months to go and I am as excited as the first time. See everyone soon.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took a tent last time.. an extra 2.4 kgs, seems a lot but very handy if you arrive in a small town with no spare beds which happened many times for me in 2016. I prefer not to plan or boom ahead.. i prefer to make it all unplanned and spontaneous on the trip :) Having a tent that i can put up in 3 mins is really handy.
Then 2 tshirts, i pair of ultralight pants, light sleeping bag (youll need it in the tent some nights) and my Tevas for feet and thats all.. oh and phone plus solar charger.

Goodness, I thought I was good at packing light but you are amazing.
Want to say I completely agree with your view on silk. I love it because it is a natural fibre that is comfortable to wear, lightweight, and dries quickly. If I can possibly get something in silk I do. Apart from rain gear and shoes, both my walking outfits are silk from the skin out. The other exception is socks because I learned from experience that they wear out too quickly when walking the camino. I do however still take one very thin pair to wear in the evenings.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After three past Caminos, I have managed to get everything I need to bring down to 2.2 kilos, (4.3 pounds), not including my pack for my upcoming May 29th 2017 Camino Frances. I have found in the past that you don't need even a fraction of what you think. I especially hate getting home after a Camino and unpacking things I never used. Rule of thumb, if I am not absolutely positive I am going to use it and need it, the item stays home. Here is the breakdown:

- Several weeks ago, I started using shave cream, bar soap toothpaste and the like, measuring out exactly how much I need for my trip. I add another 5% for spillage, and only take that much, nothing else. I use Dr. Bronner's bar soap for hair, body and clothes washing. I wash three or four items each day now to make sure I am getting an accurate assessment of future soap use as well. I take on disposable razor with one spare head.

- For meds, I take a few Imodium and ibuprofen tablets in a small plastic bag. Pharmacies are readily available if something should go awry.

- Bring one and wear one. Wear one pair of socks, bring one. Same holds true for shirts and other garments. I only bring one pair of ultra-light hiking pants. I wear one pair of light shorts, and a pair of nylon gym shorts to sleep in.

- I took a postage scale to the local REI store and actually weighed the ultralight long pants, socks and shorts, buying the lightest pairs I could find.

- Silk is your best friend. I bring two long sleeve silk shirts, 2 ounces each. When layered underneath a superlight rain parka, I can stay warm down to about 32 F. I have been walking daily with this outfit in the Northeast US at temperatures as low as 20 F in rain and snow with no problems keeping warm. I also bring a pair of silk long underwear, about 3 ounces.

- I use rain chaps under my parka. Only 4 ounces for the pair, and they keep my legs dry if it rains. My parka is ultralight Gortex, 7 ounces.

- I take labels of everything to save weight, whether it be clothes or any other item.

- I copied my Camino guidebook, compressed the pages and have the entire book on four sheets of paper. Copy maintained in my IPhone as well.

- I scrutinize every ounce. If I have three toothbrushes, I will weigh all three and take the lightest one, drilling holes in the handle to save weight.

- I have comfortable very light walking shoes that I have used on past Caminos with no problems or blisters. I don't take a second pair of shoes. I found out that in the past, I normally stayed in my walking shoes even after arriving at the albergue.

- Normally, I only take a silk sleep sack soaked in pemrethrin for night time, 3 ounces. I have relied on blankets from the albergues in the past. Leaving May 29th, I should be OK. If not, I have an 11 ounce down blanket that I can also take.

I scrutinize everything for weight. Anything that might not be used stays behind. People may laugh, but I am that guy who pulls into the albergue with the incredibly tiny backpack and doesn't suffer any worse for the wear. I used method this on my September, 2016 Camino and it simply worked flawlessly. The only wildcard is water. I buy a 2 liter bottle upon arrival from a local market or bar, and simply fill it up each time I find a fountain.

The excitement never dulls. Three months to go and I am as excited as the first time. See everyone soon.

Drilling holes in the toothbrush -gotta love this!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey good stuff. I get mine under 5kg including the pack as I don't like buying all the light weight expensive stuff and also take a bivy bag with me now in case I end up sans bed - but saying that I usually end up throwing away all the T shirts, socks and undies after I have finished. That is apart form my classic T shirt that has "Same Shirt Different Day" on the front :) but not so sure how much longer it will last tho!
TBH I don't notice the 5 kg pack at all so for me that's ideal.

Good job! That is fun; the freedom! fondly sandi who is just starting to speak out loud about the possibility of a 4th Camino this Fall :)

To answer some of the above questions:
- For silk shirts, I use Terramar.I buy them through Sierra Trading Post, along with silk long underwear.
- For shorts and pants, I like Royal Robbins or White Sierra. Very light nylon blend. They wash and dry in a flash. Again, Sierra Trading Post.
- Shoes, Oboz Sawtooth walking shoes. I put a high quality insert into the soles after removing the horrible factory insert and they are great. BTW, I hate goretex in shoes. I prefer a breathable shoe.
- Jacket is a North Face Diad, discontinued. Rain Chaps are Sierra Designs.
- Short sleeve shirts are all microfiber, normally bought through a discounter, such as Sierra Trading Post. Great items at discount prices in the US.
- Deodorant is Arrid Extra Dry Cream. It comes in a one ounce tiny jar, half the weight of a stick and lasts forever.
- Shave Cream is Pacific Shave Cream. I put about two ounces into a tiny plastic container, and have enough for over a month. I take one razor, shave every other day and make it last for the trip. Again, I took my scale to the supermarket to make sure I was buying the lightest one available.
- I got my silk sleep sack on EBay shipped from Vietnam for about $6.00. It is better than those at the high end camping stores for a fraction of the price.

On my last Camino, I can't say that I wanted for anything, or thought of something I should have brought or didn't. Your mileage may vary, but my feeling is that every ounce that stays home is one ounce I don't need to carry on my back. - Steve

€83,-
- Deodorant is Arrid Extra Dry Cream. It comes in a one ounce tiny jar, half the weight of a stick and lasts forever.
-

This stuff works? And where can I find it? I can't remember seeing any cream based deodorants in the aisles. I took my stick deodorant out of the tube and stuck it in a ziplock but it still weighs a lot more than 1 oz.

This stuff works? And where can I find it? I can't remember seeing any cream based deodorants in the aisles. I took my stick deodorant out of the tube and stuck it in a ziplock but it still weighs a lot more than 1 oz.
Hi Eve - what about cutting your deo stick in half and just taking half the stick of deo with you? That half stick should last a fair while and you can always buy another stick while on the Camino. You can give the other half of the 'Spanish' stick to another pilgrim who might be running low on their deo.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Eve - what about cutting your deo stick in half and just taking half the stick of deo with you? That half stick should last a fair while and you can always buy another stick while on the Camino. You can give the other half of the 'Spanish' stick to another pilgrim who might be running low on their deo.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Good idea. I will do that. I only need it to last 3 weeks. Half will probably do it.

2.2 Kilograms is closer to 5 lbs than 4 , a small typo I think , this might make some of us feel a few ounces better ; but not much :)
My 10% works out to be 7 Kg, or 15 lbs thereabouts , three times your burden ! If this truly works for you you have my admiration . Unfortunately even after well over thirty years of back packing I couldn't even dream of achieving such light weights .

Last edited:
Smart move to go light .............. you can always get what you need while you are on the Camino. What I saw was people either throwing stuff out or mailing it back home because they didn't need it and could't carry it any more.

Buen Camino

Mark

€83,-
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny
Eve, Jenny and all -
This is overkill, I know, but I bought the Arrid Cream in Walgreen's tonight and weighed it next to my Old Spice "travel size deodorant," which has adhesive tape wrapped around it. Granted you get one full oz. of cream (28 gm) which would easily last more than a month. The travel size stick is .5 oz. so half that (14 gm), and perfect for two weeks (my length of trip). Gross Weight of Arrid Cream is 1.8 oz vs. travel size Old Spice 1.5 oz. Please forgive my ounces - 28 grams to the ounce. So it's not important for this experiment. You get 28 grams of Arrid deodorant cream net weight which is enough for an entire Camino for one month or more. I'm going with the stick in travel size. Easier to deal with and right amount for my particular trip.
upload_2017-2-16_21-34-44.png

2.2 kg does not equal 4.3 pounds
I know that you have already removed the labels, but are there any brands that you wish to mention for the silk shirts or ultra-light equipment?

Remembering back to my airline days and checked in baggage allowances 44Ib = 20kg

2.2Ibs = 1kg.

- I got my silk sleep sack on EBay shipped from Vietnam for about $6.00. It is better than those at the high end camping stores for a fraction of the price.

I did the same. I got the "art silk" one so it is sturdier, easier to maintain, and machine washable. Mine is also a "double" (~9 oz) so I have plenty of room (hate constricting bags), and was just $14.oo. If it's chillier, I can also flip the other half over me for extra warmth. Even chillier, I sleep in my base layer, hoodie fleece and socks. Along with a permethrin treated tyvek undersheet (~6 oz) my sleep system is under 1 lb.

Just shoot me now. My pack is still weighing in really heavy. I know some of it is that I don't have silk gear, and the most ultralight options. But still. :/

Don't worry! From what you've already discussed, your pack does not qualify as "really heavy". You are less than 18 lbs total, right? Yes, there are places still to pare down or replace with lighter choices before you set off. But for your 1st camino, so far, you are in a really good place. An 18 lb pack is not tragic, and it will not kill you. My very first camino 18 years ago, my pack was probably twice that heavy. (I was an idiot at the time. I have since learned, and am still learning.) I made it from SJPdP to Fisterra in one piece, and had an amazing time.

Breathe!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Amazing!

Not sure I can add any tips except that I no longer carry shaving foam or anything. You tend to find most albergues have hand wash liquid, so I tend to use that. If there isn't anything then I don't bother shaving.

On the CF last year I carried 9kg which I thought was pretty good at the time considering I was carrying full camping gear and three portable devices!

It's amazing how little clothing you can get away with.

Don't worry! From what you've already discussed, your pack does not qualify as "really heavy". You are less than 18 lbs total, right? Yes, there are places still to pare down or replace with lighter choices before you set off. But for your 1st camino, so far, you are in a really good place. An 18 lb pack is not tragic, and it will not kill you. My very first camino 18 years ago, my pack was probably twice that heavy. (I was an idiot at the time. I have since learned, and am still learning.) I made it from SJPdP to Fisterra in one piece, and had an amazing time.

Breathe!

Well this is encouraging. After switching a few things out and in, I came in at 18 lbs, before water, and without the stuff I'm wearing. I am working on reducing weight with toiletries and will give it another once over, but I don't see a lot more being left home. I'll be well under the 15 % FSO for a winter camino...I may just have to use that as my final guideline.

The hair on my back weighs that much... :p I am impressed. One of these days someone will post they walked with the clothes on & slowly added what they needed as they moved along. That would be interesting to try.
Buen Camino!
Keith

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Still trying to pick myself off the floor from laughing MT :)
You've got me thinking now , six weeks , forty two days, minus two kilos of ' Body hair ' plus two grams per sheet of toilet paper multiplied by two per day . 6x7 (2000-4) =(Gms)D3 =7kg
Yes , I finally have my pack down to 10% of me !

In all seriousness though , how many of us have seen the ' tiny ' pack strapped up with almost twice its contents on the outside ?
Is there some type of one upmanship to be earned in walking the Camino with just a handbag ?
I see this sometimes in wild and inaccessible places , the smug look , the '' I travel light '' holier than thou mantra . ''Ten days in the Tasmanian wilderness and I only carried six KG'' read this as I only carried six but begged and borrowed the equivalent of a further ten along the way .
There is a danger that the '' Camino [ or others ] will provide '' attitude can be used as a reason for not taking care of yourself .

"'Ten days in the Tasmanian wilderness and I only carried six KG'' read this as I only carried six but begged and borrowed the equivalent of a further ten along the way .
There is a danger that the '' Camino [ or others ] will provide '' attitude can be used as a reason for not taking care of yourself .

My kids observed on our latest camino that things worked out for people who were completely unprepared. Often it was because we shared our meals, medical supplies, soap and spare socks! I challenged them to consider whether they wanted to be reliant on others' generosity or be the one who could share!

I think each of us determines how extreme we get packing. My decision to carry a 1 meter by 200cm sheet of Moleskin was to ensure I could always deal with blisters, the weight was .25 kilo (I am guessing my metric scale is non existent) it was under a pound. The scalpels, antibiotic cream, & sterile gauze made for close to a pound. I ended up fixing a lot of blisters that were on others feet. I would carry it back in a heartbeat. It was my way of helping.
So my point is sometimes an extra bit of weight is not a bad thing.

I think each of us determines how extreme we get packing. My decision to carry a 1 meter by 200cm sheet of Moleskin was to ensure I could always deal with blisters, the weight was .25 kilo (I am guessing my metric scale is non existent) it was under a pound. The scalpels, antibiotic cream, & sterile gauze made for close to a pound. I ended up fixing a lot of blisters that were on others feet. I would carry it back in a heartbeat. It was my way of helping.
So my point is sometimes an extra bit of weight is not a bad thing.

On one hand, I'm impressed by your generosity and helping spirit. On the other hand, I can't imagine I'd ever let a stranger come anywhere near my feet with a scalpel.

Did you have many takers?

Yes, it was not immediate, initially it was just my walking family & as others observed my method, the trust grew. There were those that I met that just pushed it too long & the entire foot or half of it was huge blisters, they had to go to a medical center as they had infection set in. I know my limits & I am very serious about keeping the site & cleaning area very clean. Then dressing it overnight & redressing the next day.
The scalpels were used 2x only. When someone had a blister on the surface & a blister deeper in a different level of skin. We get some very thick skin on the bottoms of our feet over time.

Most times a sterile needle was all that was needed followed by antibiotic cream then dressed with sterile gauze overnight, removed in the morning, re-cleaned, more antibiotic cream, moleskin applied & a couple extra given to the person for the end of that day. Then there was the fixes at the bar when stopping for food you fix them when they are small no issues.
I just was suprised by the amount of people that had no idea how to maintain their feet. For those reading this try to hike 10-15 miles before arriving on the Camino to test your shoes. Take extra inserts so you can build up under your foot if you get blisters under the pad of your foot. Better still walk enough to figure it out before you leave.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Love it, I too think light (not as good as u) I'm using a 920gm MILLET 30L backpack + 3.6 kg gear (I'm currently 7% of my weight and am sure to shed more ninessentiaks). I cut my toothbrush handle much shorter ha ha but didn't think to drill holes (don't have a drill ha ha). Toiletries were my heaviest so really minimized. The silk tops I'd never heard. Thanks and buen camino, Im leaving SJPP 19 March

Good list, my base weight is 5.13 kilo with pack. Expensive but collected over several years. I understand there is stupid light who take risks with gear, never met any myself.Why would you pack to be uncomfortable.
Try the chewing stick, Miswak tree root-toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash in a root. Use a volcanic alum crystal for deodorant.I understand in manufactured deodorant ammonium alum is used; derived from waste from nylon and aluminium factories.

I too pack light. Not ultralight but light. I also weigh everything. Around 12 pounds. But there are some reasonable limits for me. I did try cutting the deodorant in half. Messy and unnecessary. I threw it away and bought a new one in Spain. Just bring it whole. An extra pair of socks and underwear allow me to occasionally skip doing laundry. Very little weight and a day off from washing clothes is worth it to me. I bring a small cup to share a bottle of wine and a scarf because it's colorful. I do like the freedom of not worrying about so much stuff but I also want to have some fun on my adventures. YMMV.

Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

This is so helpful, even for one of the gentler persuasion. Thank you
JMB :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Somerset shaving oil. Tiny 15 ml bottle lasts the length of the Camino and beyond. Much lighter than even the travel size shaving cream. Available on-line, and I also found it at Walgreen's occasionally.

I like the idea of a double silk liner.

Great piece. Drill holes in the toothbrush handle for weight reduction has to be the best! No worries about the structural integraty of the handle Hahaha! Brilliant. Best of luck in May. Hoping to walk again later this year. Buen Camino. ...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Talk about being self sufficient but I'm guessing that this only applies to the Camino Frances. Great if you can get to that weight. However, what about the longer routes such as Via de la Plata where the distances average about 25km per stage? Food for thought.

StFin, reading your post I'm in a state of shock, truly. There must be some kind of esoteric knowledge you're privy to, or some kind of clear-minded discipline, or something that I haven't yet tapped into, to enable you to accomplish this feat of ultralite packing......

Mmmmm, perhaps it's that you trust yourself, and the Way to provide, rather than being anxious about 'what ifs'.

You are an inspiration! I applaud you, and I wish you Buen Camino.

@StFina -
Thanks for all the good suggestions!
1. Does your rain parka just a rain shell or does it have any fur or warm lining? Wondering if my North Face rain shell is good enough for May or if I also need my light weight puffy jkt?
2. You also mentioned short sleeve shirts...Are these in addition to your l/s silk shirts? I already bought REI nylon/polyester shirts and wondering whether I should return them and get silk shirts instead?
3. I'm planning to sleep in my next day outfit so that I won't have to bring any extra clothes for sleeping. What do you think?
You didn't mention any other necessity as sunscreen, etc. As for money, passport, ID, credit card, how did you pack these? Do you have to carry them into the shower and everywhere with you to prevent them from being stolen (like other pilgrims suggested?)
Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You are incredible--I thought I was an ultra light packer but I haven't thought of drilling holes in my tooth brush (which I am charging the drill to do now :) Are you walking in May/June 2017? If so I hope to meet you on the trail!

My decision to carry a 1 meter by 200cm sheet of Moleskin was to ensure I could always deal with blisters, the weight was .25 kilo.
I don't carry any foot preparations or Moleskin. I save that weight for my giant supply of KT Tape Pro!

My kids observed on our latest camino that things worked out for people who were completely unprepared. Often it was because we shared our meals, medical supplies, soap and spare socks! I challenged them to consider whether they wanted to be reliant on others' generosity or be the one who could share!
Best thought I have read so far. Thanks.

€149,-

Bravo St Fina, this is fantastic and just shows how much you can achieve with a bit of ingenuity.

I don't think I will ever achieve your level of skill but just like 'comfort food' after a hard day, I like a few things to just have a change (no pun intended) when I arrive after a long day of trekking. It may be a polo shirt and/or a casual pare of shorts. Just to break the every day grind of wearing the same kit for 35 days. Plus, I have my trusty digital camera and small diary as a keepsake to take notes, retain visitor cards, press flowers, etc. Doesn't add much weight but, for me, makes for a personal experience as opposed to a minimalist experience. But well done. And, one of my SABRE mates doesn't drill holes in his tooth brush, he just cuts off half the handle (John you're a legend).

Happy trails

- For silk shirts, I use Terramar.I buy them through Sierra Trading Post, along with silk long underwear.
- For shorts and pants, I like Royal Robbins or White Sierra. Very light nylon blend. They wash and dry in a flash. Again, Sierra Trading Post.
- Shoes, Oboz Sawtooth walking shoes. I put a high quality insert into the soles after removing the horrible factory insert and they are great. BTW, I hate goretex in shoes. I prefer a breathable shoe.
- Short sleeve shirts are all microfiber, normally bought through a discounter, such as Sierra Trading Post. Great items at discount prices in the US.
- Shave Cream is Pacific Shave Cream. I put about two ounces into a tiny plastic container, and have enough for over a month. I take one razor, shave every other day and make it last for the trip. Again, I took my scale to the supermarket to make sure I was buying the lightest one available.

On my last Camino, I can't say that I wanted for anything, or thought of something I should have brought or didn't. Your mileage may vary, but my feeling is that every ounce that stays home is one ounce I don't need to carry on my back. - Steve
Great going! It's a pity Sierra Trading Post doesn't ship to Australia - but will have to check out silk shirts and undies from elsewhere. My pack last year was 8kg including pack, but aiming for nearly half that for the next one.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is made of "high quality artificial silk fibers", the ones I see around here & online are 100% silk (e.g. Frilufts, Cocoon,...).

Yes, like I said above, art silk. But the TrekSilk company makes pure silk ones too. They're just more expensive and more trouble to care for properly. Not sure if the seller I linked carries those or not.

I did the same. I got the "art silk" one so it is sturdier, easier to maintain, and machine washable.

No way I can keep my backpack weight that low but I do keep it below 5 kgs because I have osteoporesis in my spine.
And I do use a lot more silk. Silk undies and bras (Aliexpress); vintage mens silk shirts (both from Etsy); silk walking trousers (one new pair from a US cothing shop that alas no longer stocks them and the other used from Ebay); homemade silk doona cover for my sleeping bag that unzips into a quilt and silk fitted single sheet (yeah overkill I know but these two are my lxury items); silk Tshirt for sleeping (Etsy); silk shorts also for sleeping (Aliexpress); set of silk thermals (Simply Silk, an NZ company); large homemade silk scarf multiple uses including wrapping around pillow as a pillow slip, and finally homemade silk money belt type thingo. Most of this sort of stuff was tried and tested on my first camino and worked well. I've added a bit more for this coming camino but expect it to work equally well. It does of course mean no washing machines and driers but luckily I enjoy hand washing and silk dries fast.

Last edited:
The hair on my back weighs that much... :p I am impressed. One of these days someone will post they walked with the clothes on & slowly added what they needed as they moved along. That would be interesting to try.
Buen Camino!
Keith
I've seen this guy from Leon that did just that, and with no money to boot! It was a social experiment, wrote a book, posted videos on Youtube under "The Universe Will Provide" (orsomething like that). Added what equipment (including knapsack) from stuff he found along The Way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've seen this guy from Leon that did just that, and with no money to boot! It was a social experiment, wrote a book, posted videos on Youtube under "The Universe Will Provide" (orsomething like that). Added what equipment (including knapsack) from stuff he found along The Way.
I met a guy last year that had checked his backpack on the plane and it didn't arrive with his flight. He was limited on time to walk and didn't want to wait for it so he just bought a small backpack like students use, along with a pair of underwear, socks, another shirt and a toothbrush. That's what he walked the Primitivo with.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am walking on two Caminos. Camino Primitivo, arriving in Santiago on 5/27. I then fly to Biarritz, train to SJPP to begin the Camino Frances to Burgos. It is the piece I have yet to complete. This is my third time on the rodeo, and each time I came back it made me sick to see things I packed and carried, but never used.

Have you ever had your heels dry out & bleed from walking/hikeing in sandals? I have that issue with them. So using socks & lotion helps but not with the weight portion.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Typing again for having computer issues: glad to find your post for like you I would like to hike in only one pair of shoes - mine being my favourite SAS tripod sandals. I just hike 16 miles in them and did fine. I do have Timberland walking shoes but I find them heavy. My thought is to take a second pair of sandals and throw one away midway or at end of camino that I hope to do late August/September 2017. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Have you ever had your heels dry out & bleed from walking/hikeing in sandals? I have that issue with them. So using socks & lotion helps but not with the weight portion.

Hi: never bleed but one crack. I can use a light sock. Thank you for this hint. I shall have to find vaseline at a Spanish store I guess.

Well done. We, my wife and I, traveled last year (Camino, and around Spain and Portugal) with her carrying a 7 pound pack and me a 9 pound pack - all up except for water. We usually travel for two to three months at a time and our packs are never over ten pounds. We haven't yet got down to your weight, but we're working on it. The freedom from burden is wonderful. What pack are you using?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No way I can keep my backpack weight that low but I do keep it below 5 kgs because I have osteoporesis in my spine.
And I do use a lot more silk. Silk undies and bras (Aliexpress); vintage mens silk shirts (both from Etsy); silk walking trousers (one new pair from a US cothing shop that alas no longer stocks them and the other used from Ebay); homemade silk doona cover for my sleeping bag that unzips into a quilt and silk fitted single sheet (yeah overkill I know but these two are my lxury items); silk Tshirt for sleeping (Etsy); silk shorts also for sleeping (Aliexpress); set of silk thermals (Simply Silk, an NZ company); large homemade silk scarf multiple uses including wrapping around pillow as a pillow slip, and finally homemade silk money belt type thingo. Most of this sort of stuff was tried and tested on my first camino and worked well. I've added a bit more for this coming camino but expect it to work equally well. It does of course mean no washing machines and driers but luckily I enjoy hand washing and silk dries fast.

Good call. Silk is wonderful. Been wearing since I was in the silk trade many years ago

Good call. Silk is wonderful. Been wearing since I was in the silk trade many years ago
Yep, for sure! Having tried the synthetic, hi-tec, extruded, ultra-engineered, wicking option, I'm back with natural fibres whenever possible. Heaps more comfortable especially with temp control. Cool in warm weather and warm in cool weather. Far less smelly. Generally cheaper or at worst no more expensive. Significantly lighter.
And can anyone explain why wicking is so important? I'm an Australian and sweating is an important factor in controlling body temperature. Why isn't quick drying comfortable natural clothing like silk (but NOT cotton because it dries slowly) more important than wicking for a Spanish camino at any time except mid winter?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Relying on supermarket water bottles could be risky in very hot weather. They break so easily and unexpectedly. I even carry a spare platypus now after losing my water when I couldn't afford to. Also no sunhat or sunscreen?

Since 2013, I've been 'successful' in reducing my pack weight (sans food and water) on successive Caminos from 18+kgs to 13.2kgs. I felt really proud of this achievement until I read through this thread :(. I'm off again in 10days and -suitably inspired by you guys and gals - my new goal is 10kgs. Wish me luck!!

(FYI: I'm 5' 11" /1.8m + on a good day weigh ~ 15st 7Ibs/220Ibs/100kgs)

I took a tent last time.. an extra 2.4 kgs, seems a lot but very handy if you arrive in a small town with no spare beds which happened many times for me in 2016.

That's why my wife and I will both carry/use the USGI-style (though not USGI-weight) ponchos for our rain-gear, along with "joinable" sleeping bags. If we need to sleep outdoors for whatever reason, I can use them to make an adequate field-expedient bivy-for-two. With access to a third poncho and some ultra-light nylon cord, the resulting bivy would go from merely adequate to excellent.

Last edited:
I suppose people take everything conceivable they think they might want and suffer for it OR fail to take things they end up needing and suffer for it....Only experience will guide you on what you really need.

Well done getting it so low though. Those low pack weights really are achievable if people leave out 500ml bottles of shampoos, lotions, ipads, cameras, ipods, jeans, evening wear/3rd set of clothes, bespoke laundry detergent, books, guidebooks, sneakers/trainers, leatherman multitools, airmats, camping and cooking gear, poles, padlocks (yes I have seen people take them), headlamps (unless walking in pitch darkness), torches (use your phone my lockscreen is black background and gives enough light to navigate to toilets at night) etc...

I have always managed 5kg on my 2 caminos so far (May 2015, Sept 2016).

Although 5 or 6 kg is pretty well un noticeable to carry I would be down to around 2kg if I ever walk a summer camino because I'd want the option to be able to sling the pack on either shoulder to air my back etc...(Osprey packable day bag, ultralight fleece, silk liner, North Face shorts, Warmpeace hot shirt, swim shorts, socks, ultralight poncho, soap in bag, toothbrush, mini paste, half used roll- on, 50ml suncream, spork, shemagh scarf as a towel, crocs, credencial, passport, phone charger, mini 1st aid, 750ml shop bought water bottle. Cheap reading glasses.

Wear - Boots, North Face shorts, Warmpeace hot shirt, watch, sunglasses, hat, phone in pocket, headphone buds, wallet, money belt

Edit - Should have said my 5kg set up includes a poncho tarp, exposure blanket and 400g air mat forbivy camping

Thought I was doing well to get my pack weight (including pack of course) down to 7kg sans water/food.

There's an old saying: Go light, freeze at night.
Refers to wilderness backpacking not the Camino. But it's funny so I'm sharing it.:)

As I heard it from several Army sources, "Travel light, freeze at night." This was the source of many interesting products, btw, such as poncho liners insulated with Thinsulate rather than the typical insulation.

€149,-
As I heard it from several Army sources, "Travel light, freeze at night." This was the source of many interesting products, btw, such as poncho liners insulated with Thinsulate rather than the typical insulation.

That's why I carried the olive-drab version of this little beauty on my ultra-light trips. Raked up a thick bed of leaves/pine needles, laid the poncho over it as ground-sheet, put down the poncho-liner as a "sleeping bag", arranged this space blanket over the poncho. So that the space blanket could "breathe" *, I did not tuck it in.

I'm a big guy. Even back in those days, it was necessary for me to "turn over WITH" the poncho liner rather than turning over in it.

-- Glenn

* Long explanation here that I choose not to include. If anyone wants to know more, send me a private message.

Last edited:
I am a very small, very cold natured woman, but with the help of z-packs gear, Icebreaker clothing and a lot of planning, I have been able to have a pack weight less than 5kg. It is low enough that since I have been having foot problems, I may add another pair of my shoes just to be on the safe side. They are broken in and give me the ability to alternate them so my feet don't get pressure in the same places every day. I am still finding new ways to cut weight! I just cut my Lush shampoo bar in half--surely enough for a month!

I just packed and unpacked 3 times for my first Camino worrying about weight , leave home Monday. 10% body weight is 13 lb. my pack is now 15.5 lb. do you think that's ok?

Thanks for the response
I Walked around with it and seems ok. So hoping won't have any issues.

Thanks, hoping it will be ok.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My pack is generally under 8 kilos but I know from walking the Norte with a tent and all the necessary extra gear, that I can comfortably carry much more. If you need to think of advantages - a heavier pack builds muscle and uses more calories.

Did a little thought experiment based actual weights of things that I own (well, except for the rain jacket and the t-shirt) - just the bear essentials. Take a look at the attached image.

BearEssentials.png

In reality, I'd bring two each of socks, underwear and t-shirt, plus a sample-size tooth paste and a some stinkum. That would be 245 gram extra for clothes, plus about 50 gram for tooth paste and -fumes.

I hope you aren't including the clothes you will be wearing, hiking poles, & hat in your pack weight! And please note, there isn't a "10% rule"!!! No idea where that came from and it has caused people endless amounts of grief. If you are happy and comfortable carrying your pack, then that's all that matters. If you think it's too heavy, take something out or replace it with something lighter, it's really that simple. Throw away the scale!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hope you aren't including the clothes you will be wearing, hiking poles, & hat in your pack weight! And please note, there isn't a "10% rule"!!! No idea where that came from and it has caused people endless amounts of grief. If you are happy and comfortable carrying your pack, then that's all that matters. If you think it's too heavy, take something out or replace it with something lighter, it's really that simple. Throw away the scale!
I did include the clothes I will be wearing and poles, took out a few things and now feel better about what will actually be on my back each day! Maybe just obsessing about pack weight because I am starting soon and a little daunting to actually be starting.

I've never walked a camino in the summer months but have just done test "summer" pack using the experience gained from my previous 3 caminos and have managed to get it down to 1.6kg:

Osprey packable day pack, dry bag, poncho tarp, silk liner, shemagh (scarf/towel), spare shorts, shirt, swimming trunks, socks, soap in container, trial sized toothpaste, travel toothbrush, passport, credencial, bare first aid (tape, gauze, plasters, moleskin, medical tape, painkillers), ear plugs, phone charger, reading glasses, sun cream, spork.

(I grow a beard and am not in need of male head grooming accessories as I sport a "Kojak" on camino) just I case you are wondering ;-)

Items not counted/worn: hat, sunglasses, wallet, watch, phone in pocket, earphones.

I know what I use and the things I've taken before and not used or didn't use enough to carry them 800km (head torch, phone mini powerbank, zip-off lower sections of hiking trousers, gaiters, crocs/evening footware etc).

The Osprey pack has zero padding on the traps and back so have to use dry bag to form a lozenge out of spare clothes to act as an internal backpad. Limited water carrying capability due to lack of padding on the pack straps but seems ok with a 1.5 l bottle inside plus 0.5 litre in side pocket as worse case scenario. Although I have always gotten away with just s 0,5 l water bottle I'd carry more in warmer months.

This would be what I'd likely take on a warm camino next time (except if I attempt the Via de la Plata).

For the VdlP I'd swap the day pack for my Osprey Talon 33 pack so I could carry a lot more water (3l) and food, and take my air mat and SOL bivy (so I could rig up a tarp shelter using my poncho to have a siesta or camp out if need be). This VdlP set up weighs in at 3.7kg, so still only 6.7kg with 3l of water.

I just packed and unpacked 3 times for my first Camino worrying about weight , leave home Monday. 10% body weight is 13 lb. my pack is now 15.5 lb. do you think that's ok?

Well today is my day to unpack and repack. I leave in 10 days. I have been practicing with my pack here in DC, making another longer hike this Sunday. Once I wear down my hiking sandals, I shall lighten my load when I use the second pair that I have in my pack.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Today is my day to pack and repack. I’ve been practicing here in DC with my pack, and manage but probably need to improve weight since I must carry a kangaroo back in front with essentials. Once I wear out my hiking sandals, the second pair inside pack for sure will lighten my load. Leave in 10 days, both nervous and excited. Ciao, JMB

To all you ultralite packers out there.... if I was a jealous woman, I'd be very jealous indeed of your discipline! May I learn from you!

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back