• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino Portugues Itinerary: Your Thoughts?

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPP-Finisterre, 2015
CP, Porto-Finisterre-Muxia, 2016
Hey folks,

Sooooo I am looking to cut 1-2 days out of the CP "standard" Porto-Santiago 10 day trek. Below are my 9 and 8 day outlines, including kilometers. I would love to hear feedback from folks on whether they think its good, what I am missing out on, albergue suggestions, etc. Should I walk more of the coastal route? What are your initial thoughts?
Thanks!!

9 Days:
Porto - V. do Conde (25km)
- Barcelos (28)
- Ponte de Lima (34)
- Tui (38)
- Redondela (33)
- Pontevedra (19)
- Caldas (23)
- Padron (18)
- SdC (25) *daily average 27km*
- - -
8 Days:
Porto - V. do Conde
- Barcelos (28)
- Ponte de Lima (34)
- Tui (38)
- Redondela (33)
- Barro (30)
- Padron (31)
- SdC (25)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey folks,

Sooooo I am looking to cut 1-2 days out of the CP "standard" Porto-Santiago 10 day trek. Below are my 9 and 8 day outlines, including kilometers. I would love to hear feedback from folks on whether they think its good, what I am missing out on, albergue suggestions, etc. Should I walk more of the coastal route? What are your initial thoughts?
Thanks!!

9 Days:
- Barcelos (28)
- Ponte de Lima (34)
- Tui (38)
- Redondela (33)
- Pontevedra (19)
- Caldas (23)
- Padron (18)
- - -
8 Days:
Porto - V. do Conde
- Barcelos (28)
- Ponte de Lima (34)
- Tui (38)
- Redondela (33)
- Barro (30)
- Padron (31)
- SdC (25)

Ambitious.
Do you have time constraints?
Do also check a map that indicates elevation levels. for e.g. from Ponte de Lima to Tui you'll encounter some very breathtaking hills/mountains. most pilgrims that i have encountered, had quite enough after that and paused for the night in Rubieas (spelling?)
have a read on the portuguese thread on this topic and other useful topics.
Bom Caminho.

Ambitious.
Do you have time constraints?
Do also check a map that indicates elevation levels. for e.g. from Ponte de Lima to Tui you'll encounter some very breathtaking hills/mountains. most pilgrims that i have encountered, had quite enough after that and paused for the night in Rubieas (spelling?)
have a read on the portuguese thread on this topic and other useful topics.
Bom Caminho.
Advantage Of this high speed walking Claudia is that between O Porriño and Redondela where you encounter very steep downhill slopes you can let yourself roll down to be sooner at your finish of that day.:p
When I read this thread about is it possible to walk in 8-7 (who will be the next in 6 ?) I get a severe hyperventilation :confused:. Chacun a son goûte. It's what you want.
But if you are in time constraints, I can imagine but on the other hand and I remember this saying-in a different context by the way- " sometimes the shortest caminho is NO caminho !:D"

Bom "short" caminho !

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am a generally fast walker and I had initially planned for 10 days, as per usual....BUT if I can swing it in 9 I'll have time to walk to Muxia or Finisterre so I was just wondering what people thought. I'll likely do the 9 day trip, and change my projection once I arrive and test the waters :)

I am a generally fast walker and I had initially planned for 10 days, as per usual....BUT if I can swing it in 9 I'll have time to walk to Muxia or Finisterre so I was just wondering what people thought. I'll likely do the 9 day trip, and change my projection once I arrive and test the waters :)

That said Christopher I should choose for more quality rather than quantity.
For example I should stay a night at Casa da Fernanda between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima which is the best place to stay at the entire caminho Português.And as Claudia said. Be prepared for the day between Ponte de Lima to Rubiães .that can be a killer.I also should skip the busy albergue in Redondela and walk 3 kms further to the refuxio de la Jérezana in Cessantes (well waymarked) We stayed in both but prefered the more relaxed refúxio in Cessantes.
Personally I have nothing with the walks to Fisterre and Muxía but that is my opinion.I more fancy the hospitality and kindness of the Portuguese people, the food and the wines .so never can be there too long. Kanske vi möter någonstans !?
Godt rejse .
Hälsningar frå Holland

Last edited:
Hi
How did it go? I will start CP on Thursday.
Wd be great if u cd share ur route.

Did u stay in Rates?
Tks a lot
Hey folks,

Thanks!!

9 Days:
- Barcelos (28)
- Ponte de Lima (34)
- Tui (38)
- Redondela (33)
- Pontevedra (19)
- Caldas (23)
- Padron (18)
- - -
8 Days:
Porto - V. do Conde
- Barcelos (28)
- Ponte de Lima (34)
- Tui (38)
- Redondela (33)
- Barro (30)
- Padron (31)
- SdC (25)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would always take the maximum days I have available.
It allows more time to see and experience what you are doing.
Or have a shorter day for resting or sightseeing.
Why rush more than you have to?

I considering "rushing" a state of mind, not of body. I like to walk fast, to test my physical limits as well as my spiritual ones. To each their own, of course! :)

I ended up walking the CP in 8 days, which worked well for me. I had planned for 9, but I would rather walk than rest! I then walked onward to Finisterre, and then Muxia (which I highly recommend!)

My schedule was:
Porto (starting at the cathedral; the walk to Matasinhos was amazing!) to Vila do Conde
- Barcelos
- Ponte de Lima
- Valenca
- Mos
- Pontevedra
- Valga

Valga was really the only place that was a tad disappointing, every other stop was great! I'll be updating my blog accordingly, so feel cree to check it out if you want some additional insight.

FYI: The first few days involve a LOT of old cobble stone, which really chew into your feet...you've been warned! :)

Hey folks,

Thanks!!

9 Days:
- Barcelos (28)
- Ponte de Lima (34)
- Tui (38)
- Redondela (33)
- Pontevedra (19)
- Caldas (23)
- Padron (18)
- - -
8 Days:
Porto - V. do Conde
- Barcelos (28)
- Ponte de Lima (34)
- Tui (38)
- Redondela (33)
- Barro (30)
- Padron (31)
- SdC (25)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
did this last year,

Porto -v do Conde 26km
-Barcelos- 28km
Ponte de Lima 34km
Pacos (Alb Romana) 28km
Mos 32km
Pontevedra 28km
Albergue Valga 32km
Santiago 34km

The last pull up to Santiago is a bit of roller coaster and makes for a long afternoon

I considering "rushing" a state of mind, not of body. I like to walk fast, to test my physical limits as well as my spiritual ones. To each their own, of course! :)

I ended up walking the CP in 8 days, which worked well for me. I had planned for 9, but I would rather walk than rest! I then walked onward to Finisterre, and then Muxia (which I highly recommend!)

My schedule was:
Porto (starting at the cathedral; the walk to Matasinhos was amazing!) to Vila do Conde
- Barcelos
- Ponte de Lima
- Valenca
- Mos
- Pontevedra
- Valga

Valga was really the only place that was a tad disappointing, every other stop was great! I'll be updating my blog accordingly, so feel cree to check it out if you want some additional insight.

FYI: The first few days involve a LOT of old cobble stone, which really chew into your feet...you've been warned! :)
Valga has great showers and a fantastic menu peregrino to be found at nearby El Criollo.

Hey folks,

Thanks!!

9 Days:
- Barcelos (28)
- Ponte de Lima (34)
- Tui (38)
- Redondela (33)
- Pontevedra (19)
- Caldas (23)
- Padron (18)
- - -
8 Days:
Porto - V. do Conde
- Barcelos (28)
- Ponte de Lima (34)
- Tui (38)
- Redondela (33)
- Barro (30)
- Padron (31)
- SdC (25)

I stick so far to ur outline -8 days - must say works for me well. One day I arrived at the albergues at 4 and had no idea what to do so cracked on. I am here for walking not interested in any sightseeing. Totally works for me. Tks a lot

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So I'm just back after completing the Camino Portugues in 8 days and probably could have finished in 7 if the hotel I booked in Santiago was also available a night earlier. The stage to Padron was a pretty short day and I would have liked to walk further.

It was pretty easy walking with not too many hills and I'd happy go back and start again tomorrow. :)

My stages were:

Porto - Vila de Conde - 35.25 km
Vila de Conde - Barcelos - 31.50 km
Barcelos - Ponte de Lima - 34.25 km
Ponte de Lima - Tui - 37.80 km
Tui - Redondela - 33.03 km
Redondela - Caldas de Reis - 41.70 km
Caldas de Reis - Padron - 19.57 km
Padron - Santiago - 26.25 km

I used MapMyWalk each day to measure the distances etc.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So I'm just back after completing the Camino Portugues in 8 days and probably could have finished in 7 if the hotel I booked in Santiago was also available a night earlier. The stage to Padron was a pretty short day and I would have liked to walk further.

It was pretty easy walking with not too many hills and I'd happy go back and start again tomorrow. :)

My stages were:

Porto - Vila de Conde - 35.25 km
Vila de Conde - Barcelos - 31.50 km
Barcelos - Ponte de Lima - 34.25 km
Ponte de Lima - Tui - 37.80 km
Tui - Redondela - 33.03 km
Redondela - Caldas de Reis - 41.70 km
Caldas de Reis - Padron - 19.57 km
Padron - Santiago - 26.25 km

I used MapMyWalk each day to measure the distances etc.
41k...wow!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back