• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My First Camino - Advice Please

Eswee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese - Coastal (2017)
Primitivo (2019)
Hi All

I am doing my first Camino in October from Porto to SdC, starting with the Senda Litoral and change later to the Coastal route. My plane from South Africa is landing at Porto Airport on 7 October at 6:15 the morning (11hrs flight) and depart again to South Africa on 19 October at 22:15.

I will start my Camino at the Cathedral Se Do Porto and will walk all the way. No bus to Matosinhos.

I have two options:

Option 1. Start my walk on the same day I arrive (7 October) and walk to Angeiras (24km) for my first stop. I will then reach Santiago on 17 October. I will leave Santiago by bus back to Porto early on 18 October. I will then have the rest of the 18th and most of the 19th to spend in Porto before my plane depart the evening.

Option 2. Spend my first day in Porto. Start my walk on 8 October and walk to Angeiras (24km) for my first stop. I will then reach Santiago on 18 October. I will leave Santiago by bus on 19 October and stop at the airport to catch my plane back the evening.

Option 1 gives me more time in Porto, but will I be able to walk the 24km after my 11hrs flight? I am a 59 year old male that is reasonably fit.

Please advise.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Since you're coming up from RSA you will be in the same time zone-- that's good. On the other hand, you're taking a red-eye flight, so my guess is you'll need to sleep. At least, I would. There is no way I could walk 24km without sleep- so I'd check in to an albergue the first day, take a nap, get a nice meal, spend some time in the cathedral. Buen Camino.

Why go as far as Angeiras the first day. Walk to Moratinos. That will get the blood flowing in your legs again, and after a nap you could take bus/metro back and forth to visit Porto,in the afternoon/evening, and walk to Vila do Conde the next day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After an 11 hour flight I'd be hobbling down those steps and there's no way I'd fancy kicking off at 6:15 (plus time to clear immigration) either.

Why not be a tortoise instead of a hare and head into Porto - you can catch the 601 bus from airport to the heart of the city - to unwind?

Alternatively, if you need any last minute buys (hiking poles?) you can stop off at the Decathlon store. Same bus get off at No Freixierio (8th stop say No Fresh Airey Oh), walk 5 minutes to Decathlon, buy poles and walk back to same bus stop catch 601 to Cordoaria on city centre. (Do you speak Portuguese? I know some people from SA do).

Find your place to stay/stash pack and laze for a day. Take the double-decker bus tourist tour. Visit the cathedral.

Next day take the Metro to Matosinhos market and start walking along the coast from there. It's easy walking and you should make Vila do Conde (20km?) with no trouble.

Portugal is lovely, you will enjoy it!

Hi Eswee, there is another option, if you have your credencial already, start walking from Porto airport:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walk-from-porto-airport-to-angeiras.46591/

But otherwise, I’d go with Option 2, and spend the first day exploring Porto.

Next day walk from the cathedral, down to the river, stay by the river all the way to Matosinhos, cross the bridge and . . . . . you’re well on your way.

The Alsa buses do fill up sometimes, so it might be a good idea to buy your bus ticket back to Porto airport a couple of days ahead of time.

Bom caminho!
Jill

A selection of Camino Jewellery
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No Metro as well. I want to walk from Cathedral to Cathedral.
Good for you! I'd follow @jsalt's suggestion: down the hill from the cathedral to the river, start walking and keep the water on your left until you reach Spain ;) (I'd still do the city tour by bus though!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good for you! I'd follow @jsalt's suggestion: down the hill from the cathedral to the river, start walking and keep the water on your left until you reach Spain ;) (I'd still do the city tour by bus though!)
If you want to enjoy the best views of Porto, as you leave the cathedral walk over the iron bridge. Once on the other side, visit the convent/monastery on the left, then walk along the river to the right of the bridge (as you have your back to it) until you pass under a second bridge where you will find a small dock where a boat shuttles people back and fort all day for a few €.

Walking on this aide of the river you walk through heery touristy port wine warehouses/tasting bars, and get to take impn the beauty of the city on the other side.

Once back on the city side, keep walking keeping the water on your left. That is Matosinhos.

Stay in Porto It's lovely. You can get your stamp at the cathedral and get into the Camino mood and start all rested the next morning. (Walked the same route in June this year. Porto was so nice I could consider going back as a normal tourist.)

Thank you all for your contributions and well wishes. I do really want to spend a bit of time in Porto. If I stay over for the first night, I will only have one day to explore Porto. If I start to walk the same day I arrive, I will have 2 days to explore Porto when I have finished my Camino.

I think I will let my body do the talking. I am an athlete (long distance) and know how to listen to my body. When arriving at Porto airport, I will take the Metro to the city center. I will probably be there at the latest at 9:00. I will then have something light to eat and drink and relax for an hour or two at a Bar/Cafe/Coffee Shop. I will then know if I am ready for the 24kms to Angeiras. If I do decide to walk, I will be in Angeires before 18:00. Otherwise I will explore Porto and leave the next morning.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you all for your contributions and well wishes. I do really want to spend a bit of time in Porto. If I stay over for the first night, I will only have one day to explore Porto. If I start to walk the same day I arrive, I will have 2 days to explore Porto when I have finished my Camino.

I think I will let my body do the talking. I am an athlete (long distance) and know how to listen to my body. When arriving at Porto airport, I will take the Metro to the city center. I will probably be there at the latest at 9:00. I will then have something light to eat and drink and relax for an hour or two at a Bar/Cafe/Coffee Shop. I will then know if I am ready for the 24kms to Angeiras. If I do decide to walk, I will be in Angeires before 18:00. Otherwise I will explore Porto and leave the next morning.

Bom Caminho Eswee!

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back