A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Mystery

2020 Camino Guides

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
So long as we are airing such gripes, why are there so rarely hooks on the backs of the doors in albergue showers? 🤔
Many years ago when I was planning my first camino, someone on here suggested that I make a home-made S hook for use in showers. My husband made me one from an old wire coat hanger and I use it all the time... often showing it off with pride as other pilgrims oooh and ahhh at my precious little shower jewel 🤭

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
Why are there no soap dishes in Spanish showers?

And why do they put a little beer-cooler or foot wash (never could decide) next to the toilet?

Has the concept of the absorbent towel - or indeed the towel larger than a table-napkin ever made its way to Spain?

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
And why do they put a little beer-cooler or foot wash (never could decide) next to the toilet?

Has the concept of the absorbent towel - or indeed the towel larger than a table-napkin ever made its way to Spain?
Not sure I've seen that one?

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
Just as bizarre. I recently stayed a place where the ceramic toilet paper holder had an ash tray molded on its top.
I am so old that I remember those ash trays in most toilets before non-smoking rules arrived.

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Camino(s) past & future
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
Many years ago when I was planning my first camino, someone on here suggested that I make a home-made S hook for use in showers. My husband made me one from an old wire coat hanger and I use it all the time... often showing it off with pride as other pilgrims oooh and ahhh at my precious little shower jewel 🤭
Hi Les - your S hook sounds genius! Well done and thanks to your husband.
What about posting a photo of it on this thread so we can make our own - what a great thing to share and it's also a terrific gift idea for Camino friends and friends who're travelling.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
So long as we are airing such gripes, why are there so rarely hooks on the backs of the doors in albergue showers? 🤔
I always bring my own "S" hook, but I have noticed each year that some of the newer albergues seem to have hooks to hang your clothes.

Last edited:

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
What about posting a photo of it on this thread so we can make our own - what a great thing to share and it's also a terrific gift idea for Camino friends and friends who're travelling.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny
You can purchase them inexpensively at hardware stores, too.

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
I would be willing to bet there are.

Once many years ago I was in an albergue and I was trying to swat flies away from my dinner plate during dinner. The Spanish owner of the facility saw me doing this and laughed at me saying, in Spanish, I should not try to kill the national bird of Spain !!!!!!!!!!

Karl Oz

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Portuguese
Aragones
Sanabres
Piamonte
Elizabethpfad
I had to explain to my husband (he is Aussie, I was born overseas) what a bidet was during our first camino.
His expression of disbelief and disgust was hilarious. To this day, he has never approached one.
Quite right too.

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
You should have told him it was a beer-cooler. That would have made him happy.
And then he would divorce me once he found out the truth after drinking a beer that touched a bidet. Man, I can SO see him flipping at it.

Back on the original topic, I never noticed the lack of soap dishes... But then, I usually bring my own soap and balance everything on top of the toiletries case :p

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
Not sure I've seen that one?
Over 40 years ago....we were in some hotel somewhere and when my Dad came out of the bathroom he said " there's a very handy contraption in there for washing your feet!"
In actual fact, he wasn't far wrong either!
Often now, when I see one, I think of my dear Dad

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny
I can't take all the credit... it was someone on here who gave us the idea... but here it is... in all it's s'marvellous glory 🤭

70180301_525548164938800_7599334336894074880_n.jpg 70635247_540902746677577_2383179745123631104_n.jpg 70892386_439117953613894_5947373108921892864_n.jpg

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
I can't see how an S hook helps with the "where to put the soap" problem.
No... It would not help in the slightest 😂 but after that... There was this...

Hence my beloved S hook 😂😂😂

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
And then he would divorce me once he found out the truth after drinking a beer that touched a bidet. Man, I can SO see him flipping at it
Have you ever seen documentary proof that he’s an Aussie or does he just say he is?

I only know a couple of Aussie males these days, but both would take great pride (and many pictures) in drinking beer under those circumstances.

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Camino(s) past & future
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
I can't take all the credit... it was someone on here who gave us the idea... but here it is... in all it's s'marvellous glory 🤭

View attachment 64819View attachment 64820View attachment 64821
Thanks Les for the photos - and thanks again to your husband (and the Forum member who shared the S-hook idea).
I really like it that you've used a plastic-covered wire hanger - better than the usual wire hanger from the dry cleaners.
One of these hooks will be joining my bathroom kit on my next Camino!
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

gerip

Camino(s) past & future
CF, Lourdes to Burgos, Oct 2018
CF, Burgos to Santiago, May 2019
Ingles, Sep - Oct 2019
Or buy one in a home improvement store. They’re for hanging paint cans.

Max ***

Camino(s) past & future
Irun - Santiago - Finisterre
do you mind, please, to post - here - a pic of it?

gerip

Camino(s) past & future
CF, Lourdes to Burgos, Oct 2018
CF, Burgos to Santiago, May 2019
Ingles, Sep - Oct 2019
I would be willing to bet there are.

Once many years ago I was in an albergue and I was trying to swat flies away from my dinner plate during dinner. The Spanish owner of the facility saw me doing this and laughed at me saying, in Spanish, I should not try to kill the national bird of Spain !!!!!!!!!!
😂

Hurry Krishna

Indian on the Way
Camino(s) past & future
2009 (from Sarria), 2014 from St Jean Pied de Port, 2016 from Porto, 2018 from Le Puy to Santiago.
Just as bizarre. I recently stayed a place where the ceramic toilet paper holder had an ash tray molded on its top.
Hey, what is this? We are now complaining about things ‘not’ provided as well as about things provided? 🤔 I’d like to see some Spaniards doing a walk in UK or Oz and what they find weird.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Hey, what is this? We are now complaining about things ‘not’ provided as well as about things provided? 🤔 I’d like to see some Spaniards doing a walk in UK or Oz and what they find weird.
Good point! 😉

BPG2017

Camino(s) past & future
September 2017
Over 40 years ago....we were in some hotel somewhere and when my Dad came out of the bathroom he said " there's a very handy contraption in there for washing your feet!"
In actual fact, he wasn't far wrong either!
Often now, when I see one, I think of my dear Dad
My Dad was an unconditional fan of bidets. He used it regularly after his morning bathroom. And why ever not? You (male) can't always shower after a Number Two, but a little bidet session is much eco-friendlier than moist towelettes. Of course, you need to live in a house that has females in it, otherwise you'd never dare to put one in...

MoniRose

Camino(s) past & future
(5/28-7/4, 2012) Camino Frances - SJPP to Santiago
(7/22-8/2, 2013) Camino Finesterra
(?) Camino Le Puy
Why not buy a bunch a gift them!😬

Sansthing

Camino(s) past & future
French Camino (May 2009), French Camino (May 2011), Via de la Plata (April/May 2012)
If you put your bar of soap in one of those little mesh bags that lemons etc come in, and tie it off with string, you can then hang the bag from your 'S' hook. You can use the soap without taking it out of the bag!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I dislike bidets. They take up too much floor space in small European bathrooms and are just an extra thing for housekeeping to clean. Even if a person uses them, it's another another towel to wash and dry that isnt necessary...just my opinion. I live in the U.S. where you rarely encounter them.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I dislike bidets. They take up too much floor space in small European bathrooms and are just an extra thing for housekeeping to clean. Even if a person uses them, it's another another towel to wash and dry that isnt necessary...just my opinion. I live in the U.S. where you rarely encounter them.
The answer is a bidet toilet seat, like they have in Japan. https://washlet.totousa.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlJfsBRDUARIsAIDHsWpFHrwvHCRg6ovPyHYCVQD9Zb38q-JIuWR605gb89OuPSpfWNfQ-MkaAufkEALw_wcB

annakappa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
Are you male or female? Bidets are a God-send for ladies with their period.
You will find a bidet in most Southern European houses (plus I've seen them in offices in Italy). The bathrooms were built to include a bidet! I have lived in Switzerland, Italy, France and Spain, and have always found a bidet in the bathroom.
Another towel to wash? You certainly don't need a bathtowel, just a little hand towel!
Come to that, who suffers from haemorrhoids find them useful too.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Are you male or female? Bidets are a God-send for ladies with their period.
You will find a bidet in most Southern European houses (plus I've seen them in offices in Italy). The bathrooms were built to include a bidet! I have lived in Switzerland, Italy, France and Spain, and have always found a bidet in the bathroom.
Another towel to wash? You certainly don't need a bathtowel, just a little hand towel!
Come to that, who suffers from haemorrhoids find them useful too.
Hi Anna, I am female and have never used a bidet, so the old saying "you don't miss what you don't know" or "ignorance is bliss" is probably true for me. I prefer more floor space in the small European bathrooms since I have no interest in using a bidet, but I respect your reasoning for their usefulness.

Old Kiwi

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016
Camino Frances 2019
SdC to Muxia and Fisterra 2019
Camino Portuguese "2020"
I sympathise with the problem of no hooks to hang your clothes on while showering. While in Pamplona on my last Camino, I came across one of those cheap Asian shops where I found a couple of those hooks with a suction cup. You put it against a smooth surface and pull the hook down into place which creates suction in the cup. To remove just pull the hook back up again. They will take a lot of weight. I have used them on all sorts of surfaces even windows when there was nowhere else. They are not as cheap as a home-made S hook but are more convenient. On my last morning in Fisterra I left them in the shower so I hope another pilgrim now has them.

Aysen Mustafa

Camino(s) past & future
I plan on walking the Camino April 2018.
Somebody here recommended bringing one along and I was very glad I did. Now if anyone needs packing advice and its not in their list, I recommend it.

Sam - AU

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - Apr/May 2018, Feb/Mar 2019 .... upcoming Nov/Dec 2019
I can help with this one ... soap net bags!
They turn a bar of soap into a whole new lathered showering experiencing, they also exfoliate at the same time and then allows you to hang it up to dry afterwards!
A cheap little lightweight camino luxury!

Marcus-UK

Old Git
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles (2016) Camino Portuguese (2017) Considering Invierno 2019
Why are there no soap dishes in Spanish showers?
Why do they use frosted glass in the windows of aircraft Toilets (in the days of toilets having windows of course:-} Think VC10, Bristol Britannia)?

Marcus-UK

Old Git
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles (2016) Camino Portuguese (2017) Considering Invierno 2019

Glenshiro

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy - León, Camino Frances (2012 - 2019)
I found a couple of those hooks with a suction cup. You put it against a smooth surface and pull the hook down into place which creates suction in the cup
And why no plugs when there is (rarely, but it happens) a bath?
I have one of those suction hooks - it also doubles as a sink/bath plug.

Jean-Claude

Camino(s) past & future
Francés (June 2016) - Mixía/Fisterra (July 2016).
VDLP / Sanabrés (April/May 2018)
...well, you could put and use your bar of soap in a little mesh bag (kind of like soap on a rope) and then use your “S” hook 🙃 ...editing here - I see I’m not the only one with this brilliant idea

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
Such an easy fix.........

mdelag

Camino(s) past & future
**CAMINO FRANCES: LEON-SANTIAGO sept. (2015)
**CAMINO FRANCES SJPP-SANTIAGO 2017
I have read all the comments about BIDET, really think it’s just a matter of culture. But now a days, it serves as a very eco-friendly “tool”. And I think the albergues that have them are careful about the cleaning as they have to be with tubs and shower curtains. Just enjoy your stay, wherever you decide, the Camino gives us much more than “bidets”, and no soap dishes...
Buen Camino...

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 8 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 173 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 279 24.4%