• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Napoleon Route weather in April

caminotony

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago-Finisteree 2016; St Jean-Pamplona 2017
We are planning to take the Napoleon route from St Jean to Roncesvalles the first week in April.
Does anyone know what the weather is like at that time of the year?
Where is the best place to get accurate, up-to-the-minute information?
Secondly, walking poles. Yes or No?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @caminotony welcome to the forum. The Route Napoleon may or may not be closed at that time entirely depending on the weather and you should seek the advice of the Pilgrims Office in St Jean the day before or on the day of departure. http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios/pamplona-iruna-id31201 is as reliable as any other predictor and also contains historic data. It is completely impossible to predict the prevailing weather in a mountain system 4-5 weeks in advance.

Please use the search facility (top right corner of the screen) to access hours and hours and hours of contradictory opinion on walking poles. And then be guided by your own experience, fitness and mobility ;);)

We are planning to take the Napoleon route from St Jean to Roncesvalles the first week in April.
In 2015 I had snow , hail, fog and sun.
As already stated , it is almost impossible to predict the weather .
Your question about the walking poles, yes or no ? Thats the question !;)

Wish you well,Peter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Weather is like weather in the mountains anywhere. Beautiful one minute ... potentially lethal the next ... all shades of grey between at any given moment ... in short ... not predictable.

The best place to get accurate up-to-the-minute information is on the mountain.

What you need to read into this is you should have the gear to survive the worst of it and know how to use it ... because there is no where to go to get out of it.

Read up on hypothermia ... the stuff that happens at 50F if you don't know it already.

Walking poles: not needed on the journey.

In 2015 we walked the Napolean in head winds measured up to 147 km an hour. Without poles we'd have been blown back to SJPdP rather than eventually reaching Roncesvalles. There were many many times when all we could do was plant our poles and hang tight.
In 2016 21 yo niece walked the Napolean around the same time of year; glorious day, fantastic views, got to Roncesvalles in time for late lunch and never used walking poles for her entire camino.

First week April 2014 snow, rain & it was closed when I arrived in Roncevalles big spring storm hit just as I started the down hill to Roncevalles

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It sounds like you might be in our "posse" who are leaving SJPdP the first week of April. . . I will add you to a conversation group that we started.

Wait for another 2 weeks too inquire. Google weather roncesvalles and bobs your uncle. Pilgrim office in sjpdep will have up to date information. Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In order to lessen the stress of the 1st day route choice concern....if you plan to walk the Napoleon Route...make your plan and then relax.

But...in the event that weather prevents walking the Napoleon Route..
Have a researched plan to walk the Valcarlos route. The differences are much less than the myths often make them out to be. I have walked both several times.

If you do not plan to walk through to Roncesvalles, you can sleep in Valcarlos where there are both albergue and pensions available.

Just simply have a good plan to do either and then relax and see what the good folks at the Pilgrim office in St. Jean advise.
Enjoy your adventure...

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Day 1 - A sunny start along Napoleon Route

Day 1,  Sheep Farm - French Pyranees.jpg

Day 2 Foggy, chilly and wet from Orisson to Roncesvalles
Day 2,  Foggy Morning - French Pyranees.jpg

Poles. I brought lightweight carbon, collapsible poles, just to humour my wife who is a diehard pole hiker. I tried them out on Day 1, ended up using them all day, every day. They definitely redistribute weight from the knees and ankles. I got used to them very quickly, they didn't hinder my photography, snacking or any other activities.
Weather along the Napoleon Route? April 2016, the route was still closed while we were in transit to Europe. Prediction was that it would be closed for another week after our scheduled departure. We arrived in SJPP to learn it had opened the day before due to a warm spell that melted most of the snow. We enjoyed a beautiful sunny Day 1 to Orrison ; a rainy, foggy Day 2 to Roncesvalles.
Camino Lesson #1? Weather is totally unpredictable. It is what it is. Be flexible in your planning.
Buen Camino

The weather on the mountain can be unpredictable, even hour to hour. Last April I walked the Valcarlos route. It was spring in the valley, stunningly beautiful! From the Ibaneta pass there are glorious views if you are not caught in the mountain fog, rain and high wind. A few who walked the Napoleon route talked as though they had bragging rights to something better. The Napoleon route is not better, just different. Either way is a challenge.

While some do not use poles, everyone who walks with them appreciates having them.

Last edited:

Caminotony:

No one can answer your first question.

Poles are a personal preference. You should try them out before you go and then make a decision. I do not use them.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back