Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Navigation and information

Year of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2017
Planning for 2021
There is, in web world, an enormous amount of navigational and planning software, advice, apps etc concerning the Camino de Santiago. (Camino Francés)

I will start by stating that the things I found to be of most use, and the only things I will take in future , are
1. For Day to day planning
The paper sheet on the profiles for the camino given out at the Pilgrim office in SJPdP. (copy also available to download on this forum)
The list of Albergues, available on this forum.
Booking.com for the ability to book ahead for pensiones /hotels when required.

2. Navigation.
The Michelin Camino de Santiago map guide, which also has the addresses of various Albergues

The Viewranger gps phone app just in case I get hopelessly lost. (There are many GPS apps this just happens to be the one I know and like). Only used twice last time due to daydreaming and not noticing the very prominent arrows at the turn!

For town history, advice on places to visit then I have Google.

In short one piece of paper a very small map booklet and a smartphone.

Due to the yellow arrows, then I'm not sure I need the map book next time.

What do others think?
Did you find something better than I intend to use or decent alternatives.

Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

filly

I hiked from Vézelay to Santiago over two months, September to October in 2020. Due to issues with finding accommodation that was actually open, I found that booking.com was invaluable. Many private Albergues are now using such websites and I could walk peacefully, knowing that I would had accommodation. I found this out the hard way - with justification, municipal Albergues, when open, were limiting the number of beds used. In addition, in order to generate business, some of the offers of more upmarket private accommodation were unbelievable. I missed the usual atmosphere everywhere as only in about two locations were communal kitchens ‘open’.

I have also had good maps and booklets from tourist offices; you do need to be specific that you are hiking. I especially value a gorgeous colour, glossy booklet (in English) called The Northern Ways to Santiago (Servicio Central de Publicationes del Gobierno Vasco).

I had planned to hike from Almeria to Granada in May, having read George Brenan’s excellent ‘South from Granada’ but Easyjet have just cancelled the flight..

‘Magwood’ has attempted to instruct me in the use of gps... but I find that my COMPASS always sorts me out!

mspath

Veteran Member
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
filly,
How wonderful it must have been to be able to walk in 2020 despite the pandemic! "From Vezelay to Santiago" would be a great title when you write up your memories.

November 2008 I simply climbed the hill behind our farmhouse in Champagne facing the Marne River and started walking south towards Vezelay and hopefully Santiago! Following small roads and eventual marked paths like you I generally stayed in chambres d'hotes.

During the cold, foggy 26 km slog to Laroche Migennes I bought a welcome goody at a small boulangerie and ate happily while sitting on a public bench, too lazy to remove my pack. When I continued walking a car of Gendarmes stopped and checked my papers!! Rural France just can't be too careful about old ladies out hiking alone late in November!

These police were rather stunned that I was going to Vezelay; I didn't dare mention I was aiming for Spain and Santiago! Although I intended to continue on to SJPdP my knees did not and hence I stopped at
la colline éternelle.
...This journey to Vezelay is described in my blog AllMyCaminos.

What camino are you planning next? Whenever/wherever I wish you Buen camino and in the truest sense Ultreia

SJPD-Burgos 2012/13 …. suspended the VdlP in Fuente de Cantos 3/20
There is, in web world, an enormous amount of navigational and planning software, advice, apps etc concerning the Camino de Santiago. (Camino Francés)

I will start by stating that the things I found to be of most use, and the only things I will take in future , are
The paper sheet on the profiles for the camino given out at the Pilgrim office in SJPdP. (copy also available to download on this forum)

2. Navigation.
The Michelin Camino de Santiago map guide, which also has the addresses of various Albergues

The Viewranger gps phone app just in case I get hopelessly lost. (There are many GPS apps this just happens to be the one I know and like). Only used twice last time due to daydreaming and not noticing the very prominent arrows at the turn!

What do others think?
Some links might be helpful, please

Camino Frances 2017
Planning for 2021
Some links might be helpful, please
Which links do you require?
I use this forums resources for the profile of the Frances and the list of Albergues.

The Michelin Camino de Santiago map is available through Amazon.

booking.com is simply that

Viewranger (which has
just been taken over) is

I don't use anything else, but I'm sure if you want you could Google for other information. Actually the resources offered by this forum are probably a great starting point in general.

I stated what I use, I asked if anyone had any other ideas.

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)

filly

filly,
How wonderful it must have been to be able to walk in 2020 despite the pandemic! "From Vezelay to Santiago" would be a great title when you write up your memories.

November 2008 I simply climbed the hill behind our farmhouse in Champagne facing the Marne River and started walking south towards Vezelay and hopefully Santiago! Following small roads and eventual marked paths like you I generally stayed in chambres d'hotes.

During the cold, foggy 26 km slog to Laroche Migennes I bought a welcome goody at a small boulangerie and ate happily while sitting on a public bench, too lazy to remove my pack. When I continued walking a car of Gendarmes stopped and checked my papers!! Rural France just can't be too careful about old ladies out hiking alone late in November!

These police were rather stunned that I was going to Vezelay; I didn't dare mention I was aiming for Spain and Santiago! Although I intended to continue on to SJPdP my knees did not and hence I stopped at
la colline éternelle.
...This journey to Vezelay is described in my blog AllMyCaminos.

What camino are you planning next? Whenever/wherever I wish you Buen camino and in the truest sense Ultreia
Thanks Margaret for this. I have followed your own journey on your blog: much enjoyed. I also hope to rent your Paris apartment for a week when permitted to travel from the UK. My next hike will be wild camping the Pennine Way in June. I have flights to Seville/from Santiago end August/beginning of October to do the VdePlata for the third time, with a variant via Invierno or all the way up to Gijon. Zamora is probably my favourite city in Spain.. I also plan to repeat the Norte with a detour to the Picos de Europa (inspired by the famous priest of Guedes who was posted in a village up there previously).

RRat

Planning 2017

2. Navigation.

What do others think?
Upon arrival to your alburge. After the cold beer. After your hot shower, After washing and hanging your clothes. After determining where your having dinner. A short stroll to determine you way out of town in the dark tomorrow is helpful. You might even pass a small store so you can obtain snacks for tomorrow.

David Tallan

Veteran Member

2. Navigation.

What do others think?
1. For day to day planning I like to use a variety of sources and cross check them against each other. They all make mistakes, but when three say one thing and one says another, chances are the error is with the fourth. For the Frances, I tend to use the KIndle version of the Village to Village guide and the Brierley Map (which includes accommodation information), the Gronze.com website, and various apps (Wisely+, Buen Camino, Camino Pilgrim - Camino Ninja is one I got but I haven't used yet because it came out after I walked my most recent CF).

2. For navigation, I use the aforementioned apps if I get lost.

3. For town history, advice on places to visit, nothing beats the Kindle version of Gitlitz and Davidson's The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook. This can be supplemented by other guides or Google for newer things to see but 99% of what I'm looking for is there, in a more useful format.

No paper, just the smartphone.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings