• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nearly 85% Decrease in Pilgrims in 2020

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
Although the 2020 full year statistics are not yet available from the Pilgrim Office, all the monthly reports from 2020 are, so I have used these to create an analysis of how the pandemic affected the camino in 2020. The biggest takeaway is this:

Only 53,905 pilgrims received compostelas in 2020, easily the lowest number among the years for which statistics are available (2004-2020). The 2020 figure represents an 84.5% decrease from 2019 (347,578 pilgrims, the most ever), and is 42.6% lower than 2005 (93,924 pilgrims), which had the previous lowest number of pilgrims within the data set.

For those interested in more information, the full article is available on my website here:

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks very much, really interesting reading. I was one of the 53,905 pilgrims to receive a compostela in 2020 (having walked from SJPP to Santiago in September-October). It suited me that numbers were much lower, although it meant that many albergues, especially municipals, and bars were closed (I didn't find obtaining accommodation difficult though). On some days I encountered no other pilgrims on the route, although from Sarria onwards it did pick up, mainly with Spanish and German walkers. Vaccinations willing, I hope to do the Porto to Santiago route this autumn.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As I was reading this thread, I tried to place the human suffering, death, illness, the economic implication to the Camino routes, Spain and the World as a whole, isolation and loneliness into a seperate and very sad silo. When I did that, I began to wonder if there was a possible upside ecologically, or maybe just looking for the rainbow after the storm. Roughly 300k fewer people along these routes, especially the CF. Certainly less refuse, less erosion to the paths, especially in the Pyrenees and the hills of Galicia. I've read and heard a bit about more animals being seen. While I won't get to witness it, I would love to see the more rural parts of the Camino(s) after this long CV-19 imposed slumber. Possibly the subject of future posts this Spring(?) or Summer. Until then, stay home, stay safe and don't forget to reach out to those in need.

Thanks very much, really interesting reading. I was one of the 53,905 pilgrims to receive a compostela in 2020 (having walked from SJPP to Santiago in September-October). It suited me that numbers were much lower, although it meant that many albergues, especially municipals, and bars were closed (I didn't find obtaining accommodation difficult though). On some days I encountered no other pilgrims on the route, although from Sarria onwards it did pick up, mainly with Spanish and German walkers. Vaccinations willing, I hope to do the Porto to Santiago route this autumn.
I found the same, walking in October 2020

I know many of us are very excited and hopeful about 2021 and I don't want to squish our enthusiasm, but 2021 is only a "number" for now. Having the vaccine beginning to take shape at least brings something tangible to the table...fingers crossed.🤞
That is exactly why after losing 2020 camino I projected a late March 2021 start in Sevilla now I am looking for a start in Sevilla of about October 10, 2021.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Although the 2020 full year statistics are not yet available from the Pilgrim Office, all the monthly reports from 2020 are, so I have used these to create an analysis of how the pandemic affected the camino in 2020. The biggest takeaway is this:

For those interested in more information, the full article is available on my website here:
Thanks and it was interesting to read. I was wondering if there would be an uptick in CF pilgrims because of infrastructure but as you noted that the percent of CF pilgrims was about the same. I am too lazy to check :) but did the percent of pilgrims stay steady of some of the less traveled routes like the Norte, Primitivo or especially my next Camino making my first Camino step at the Sevilla Cathedral and ending at Holy Door?

Thanks and it was interesting to read. I was wondering if there would be an uptick in CF pilgrims because of infrastructure but as you noted that the percent of CF pilgrims was about the same. I am too lazy to check :) but did the percent of pilgrims stay steady of some of the less traveled routes like the Norte, Primitivo or especially my next Camino making my first Camino step at the Sevilla Cathedral and ending at Holy Door?
Thank you!

When the report for the whole year comes out, it will be easy to see those percentages. For now you have to add them up month by month and since that was outside the scope of my article, I didn't do it.

Like @lt56ny , I too am hopeful that Oct. 2021 will allow for walking in Spain. Even with the US’s relatively poor start to mass jabbing (thanks to all you Brits for giving me a new word!) things should be running smoothly by then. Also we should have a good idea on available accommodations on the various routes.

best,
frm

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you!

When the report for the whole year comes out, it will be easy to see those percentages. For now you have to add them up month by month and since that was outside the scope of my article, I didn't do it.
Not big on doing math so I will just wait till the final figures come out. Have a nice and safe new year.

Imagine those 85 % come back ... in 2021

Not in 2021 but 2022, maybe.

I understand infections are increasing like wild fire in several of the English speaking countries that are in this forum and with consequential public health rules that mandate stay at home (with exceptions for essential food and the like)

If this is so, I have difficulty with thinking that says everything will "be back to normal" in a few months time.

Why not wait until normality is proven.

In the meantime the Camino will still be there and the infrastructure will respond in due course.

And that infrastructure response will depend on the many who need more certainty that normality is here rather than the few who hope for normality now.

Kia ora, kia kaha (be healthy, be strong and take care)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm surprised it was only 85% down, given that Covid hit in March...... And really the pilgrim 'traffic' just starts to pick up then.

It will be interesting to see how those stats change if the 12 month period was Feb 2020-Feb 2021 or March to March.

My family of 4 walked the CF (SJPDP-SDV), arriving around 20 Jan 2020, when there was just a whisper of an outbreak in Wuhan. When we arrived in at the Pilgrims office we were numbers 34-37 and by no means the last of the day. Walking the earlier stages there were at least 20 pilgrims in my daily cohort, growing considerably from burgos then Leon and then Sarria.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It will be interesting to see how those stats change if the 12 month period was Feb 2020-Feb 2021 or March to March.
I‘d need to get hold of an old envelope to work out the likely change for the 85% figure but my guess is that the change of the annual decrease in % is neglegible.

In January 2020, about 2,000 people obtained their Compostela.

Currently, in January 2021, between 1 and 3 people are registered daily as receiving their Compostela, so perhaps 100 Compostelas for this month in total.

+/-1,900 fewer Compostelas is peanuts compared to the huge decrease during April-June 2020 when nobody came and July-October 2020 when the decrease in numbers ran into the 10,000s.

Last edited:
The European ECDC is showing positive trends in the reduction of infections

Oslo seems to be very low as well as some parts of Greece.

Even parts of the UK are showing much lower levels.

And in line with greater confidence in lower infection rates/vaccinations, some holiday operators are reporting a surge in bookings for 2021. But I suspect it will be something of a rollercoaster with stop-go's on the restrictions as the virus/vaccinations works it way through.

We can now curb our fears as well as our enthusiasm.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
^^yes, fair call Kathar1na, since you put it like that :)
I am so glad that you made your earlier comment. It took my mind off other threads and made me download a trial version of Mathematica again because I really don't like the look of the graphs that my spreadsheet app (Numbers) produces. And now I am trying yet again to find a reason that would justify the purchase of Mathematica at the end of the 2 weeks trial period. 😄

I wonder whether we should have a long running thread about Camino statistics 2021 😇. @jungleboy, I hope you don't mind me just continuing here. I occasionally look at the Oficina's website. Yesterday I saw for the first time the line "0 pilgrims arrived yesterday to Santiago" (and where I was certain it wasn't a website glitch).

La Voz de Galicia has an article about the first two weeks of this year. So far this month [January 2021] the Pilgrims Office delivered only 42 Compostelas, most of them to Spanish pilgrims, although there were also Portuguese or Americans who arrived in Santiago during these two weeks.

They say that the staff spends a lot of time answering phone calls and emails from people who want to know what the current situation for hacer el Camino is like. They advise Spanish pilgrims to wait until the public health situation has improved and point foreigners to their respective embassies when they enquire about conditions of entry into Spain.

They don't really explain how it is possible that there were 42 pilgrims so far, a question that I wonder about myself. Unfortunately, this question has often given way to polemics in other threads :(. It's like people thinking that merely talking about some facts is equivalent to endorsing something they don't approve of.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
They don't really explain how it is possible that there were 42 pilgrims so far, a question that I wonder about myself.

Seems we have a similar mindset as I have been checking the Officina website regularly as well and wondered about the same question. So do not expect a polemic from me :)

But most logically I think is that these are mainly Spanish pilgrims living app 100. km from Santiago, maybe even able to get home (f.e. by car) after every stage. I am eager for the breakdown of arrivals by starting point to be published, to see if my assumption is correct. I do wonder though how many places are open where one can collect a sello.

I wonder whether we should have a long running thread about Camino statistics 2021 😇. @jungleboy, I hope you don't mind me just continuing here. I occasionally look at the Oficina's website. Yesterday I saw for the first time the line "0 pilgrims arrived yesterday to Santiago" (and where I was certain it wasn't a website glitch).
Not at all! I see the daily numbers on Instagram and/or in FB groups because someone posts them each day. The one I find amusing/sad is when there's only one pilgrim and the pre-written line hasn't accounted for that possibility, so it reads '1 pilgrims arrived yesterday to Santiago'.

For those who have wondered how it is possible that there are still pilgrims arriving and being registered at the Santiago Pilgrims Office even in January 2021: Despite the pandemic and despite the perimeter closure decreed in Galicia throughout the month of January, pilgrims continue to arrive in Santiago. The Camino remains "open" for those who were surprised by the closures en route. This is what Turismo de Galicia has decided and this is how the concelleiro of Tourism of Santiago explains it.

Note: I’m merely reporting this. I’m not expressing an opinion about it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The January 2021 figures are published. 60 Compostelas after all. 48 of these pilgrims who arrived at the pilgrims office in Santiago in January are residents of Spain, nearly half of them foreign residents. Unlike in normal times, where men and women are equally represented, a clearly male affair now - 45 men and 15 women pilgrims. Did they really all have to go on foot to Compostela right now? Couldn’t make themselves return home to continue later? We will never know the answer.

The Oficina's website is now up to date for February 2021. A bit of a mystery but let's not go into it: a total of 14 pilgrims obtained a Compostela last month.

Continent-wise, there were 13 from Europe and one from South America, and of those, there were 9 from Spain consisting of 5 foreign residents and 3 Spaniards from Galicia and one Spaniard from Valencia.

This leaves 4 who did not indicate Spain as their country of residence.

Under the heading "countries", i.e. nationality, the website lists:

Spain: 4​
France: 4​
Czech Republic: 3​
Colombia: 1​
Italy: 1​
Switzerland: 1​

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back