• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need a Portuguese wine suggestion

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have a very close friend who is, and I don't say this disparagingly, a wine snob. I always bring home a bottle of very good wine for him whenever I go to Spain or Portugal. Seeing as there is no shortage of expertise on the forum, I thought I'd ask for some suggestions. (I've gotten good advice on buying in Spain here, so I thought I'd broaden across the peninsula).

I think Douro is the most likely to fill his taste for "big, fruit forward, well-balanced, with oak." (His words, not mine). So if anyone can recommend something, preferably from a small producer that doesn't export, that'd be great. I don't want to bring home something that I can get at the local liquor store or at the duty free shop. My price range would be approx. 30-35 euros, but would go higher for something that got a five star absolutely fantastic review from one of you.

Obrigada! Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have a very close friend who is, and I don't say this disparagingly, a wine snob. I always bring home a bottle of very good wine for him whenever I go to Spain or Portugal. Seeing as there is no shortage of expertise on the forum, I thought I'd ask for some suggestions. (I've gotten good advice on buying in Spain here, so I thought I'd broaden across the peninsula).

I think Douro is the most likely to fill his taste for "big, fruit forward, well-balanced, with oak." (His words, not mine). So if anyone can recommend something, preferably from a small producer that doesn't export, that'd be great. I don't want to bring home something that I can get at the local liquor store or at the duty free shop. My price range would be approx. 30-35 euros, but would go higher for something that got a five star absolutely fantastic review from one of you.

Obrigada! Laurie
Hi Laurie,

In the 30-35 euros price range you could get some of the finest Portuguese wines. Portuguese wines are very much underpriced and are some of the best bargains available.

In general wines from the Duro valley are based on their premier grape variety Touriga Nacional which tends to be high in tannin, and full bodied.

Here are three wines from the Duoro heartland, one from a sizable producer and the other from a family winery that should be worthy to try. Most of the Portuguese wines are not readily available in the US. Port is a different story however.

Quinta das Carvalhas Douro 'Carvalhas' Vinhas Velhas 2012 (around $43)
Quinta das Carvalhas Douro Touriga Nacional 2011 (around $23)

Quinta de la Rosa - La Rosa Reserve 2007 (around $40)

I visited both wineries during my visit to Pinhao, Duoro Valley two years ago. I have been very impressed with the quality of these wines.

Obrigado!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love the two varieties of Broadbent Vino Verde. They have a white and a dry rose. The slight bubbles and the acidity make if a very nice spring day wine.

Now back to the original question. The beauty of buying wine, is trying and tasting a number of wines, until you find something you really like. In you Camino, try wines with dinner at restaurants, buy them at stores for picnic lunches, do wine tastings at wineries. Try, try, try. at your price range, you will find something you really love and that is the wine to give your friend.

I love this thread and am taking notes. I love beer (IPA) but like wine also, and will never forget the delicious Rioja I enjoyed at a upscale hotel I was "forced" to stay when everything else was booked.
I have heard that Portugal doesn't have the greatest beer and so will be "forced" to enjoy their lovely wine.
Cheers
Janice

Cartuxa red whine is some of the best. The 15€ bottles are often specially protected against theft in the stores.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@peregrina2000 -

Try this link for price, ratings and U.S. availability for online purchase:

http://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-portugal

You can select just for reds, adjust the slider to the desired price range and see "Critics Ratings" instantaneously. You can also see tasting notes and any auction results for each wine just by a mouse-click. It also provides you with information about the industry in Portugal so that you will have some background for discussion.

A friend, and extremely talented wine investor, uses this site all the time. My guess is that your friend might be impressed with your knowledge of it.

It looks to me like there are several good reds in your target range.

B

@peregrina2000 -

Try this link for price, ratings and U.S. availability for online purchase:

http://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-portugal

You can select just for reds, adjust the slider to the desired price range and see "Critics Ratings" instantaneously. You can also see tasting notes and any auction results for each wine just by a mouse-click. It also provides you with information about the industry in Portugal so that you will have some background for discussion.

A friend, and extremely talented wine investor, uses this site all the time. My guess is that your friend might be impressed with your knowledge of it.

It looks to me like there are several good reds in your target range.

B

Wow, the amount of information is tremendous. Thank you so much. And I especially like the fact that I can limit my search to wines sold only in Portugal. Makes it a little more special, I think, if I carry home something I couldn't buy back home. You wouldn't happen to know of a similar site for Spanish wines, would you? :) I always buy this friend a bottle when I'm done walking in Santiago as well.

I love this thread and am taking notes. I love beer (IPA) but like wine also, and will never forget the delicious Rioja I enjoyed at a upscale hotel I was "forced" to stay when everything else was booked.
I have heard that Portugal doesn't have the greatest beer and so will be "forced" to enjoy their lovely wine.
Cheers
Janice
Ask for the "white" vinho verde which means "green "wine but stands for young wine. Or "maduro " if you want red wine aka "vinho tinto"
And try the portwines. They are great. I prefer the white one.
On the Vila Nova da Gaia bank of the river Douro in Porto are all the famous portwine houses like Sandeman, Cruz etc. If you have time ,go there for a tase Great time !

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ask for the "white" vinho verde which means "green "wine but stands for young wine. Or "maduro " if you want red wine aka "vinho tinto"
And try the portwines. They are great. I prefer the white one.
On the Vila Nova da Gaia bank of the river Douro in Porto are all the famous portwine houses like Sandeman, Cruz etc. If you have time ,go there for a tast. Great time !
Thanks, I will have 2 days in Porto and appreciate the suggestions
Janice

You wouldn't happen to know of a similar site for Spanish wines, would you?

Same site, @peregrina2000 ! Just look up to the top of the screen for the menu bar, "regions" is the option 4th in. Click on it and select.

BTW, since the site is generally for people outside of the region of origin the prices will be higher. I'd expect that you may be able to double or triple (maybe more) the price range that you are looking at since you will be picking up the goods in-country.

B

Wow, the amount of information is tremendous. Thank you so much. And I especially like the fact that I can limit my search to wines sold only in Portugal. Makes it a little more special, I think, if I carry home something I couldn't buy back home. You wouldn't happen to know of a similar site for Spanish wines, would you? :) I always buy this friend a bottle when I'm done walking in Santiago as well.

Hi LAurie

When you want (27, 28 or 29 April), we can visit a wine shop in Lisbon and we will talk to the owner about the good wines that are sold exclusively in Portugal and then this information you can choose the wine you buy for your friend.
The shop has good wines and less good wines, wines for tourists (vinho verde, ...) and wines for connoisseurs.
I see you on the 27th of April.
AMSimoes

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Peregrina,

When I flew back to the US from Madrid last time, I found some excellent wines at the duty free shops. I was able to get some grand reservas including excellent Riojas at great prices.

Its not clear if you presently on the Camino. If you're, you could also stop by a winery on the way and get a bottle from the source.

Good luck!

Hola Laurie

You might take your friend a fine Californian wine and expand his knowledge. Better still when we meet soon let's venture across the border to Portugal and try some of their big tintos. I'd recommend Quinta de Vallordo Souzao or Principal Barriada or Quinta do Castro Reserva. If your friend is likely to include you in their will I'd invest in a bottle of Barca Vella which at 90 euros might be persuasive. While you're buying get me one too please

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back