• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Negreira to Cee - 2 days or 3 days?

rainswift

Time of past OR future Camino
Jun 2024 - Portuguese Litoral + VE + Finisterre
Hello, thank you all for your time again.

I'm a planner through and through. (Though maybe I can let go of some of that when I go on the Camino). I am looking at the Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia leg of my trip in June 2024. I'm wondering whether I should plan to take two or three days to get from Negreira to Cee.

Original plan:
  1. Santiago to Negreira (21km)
  2. Negreira to Vilaserio (13km) or Santa Mariña (21)km
  3. Vilaserio/Santa Mariña to Olveiroa (21km or 13km)
  4. Olveiroa to Cee (19km)
However, I saw that @trecile had a great time at the Albergue Monte Aro when I was digging around the forum, which led to me pondering on walking further starting from Negreira. Overall this would then give me an extra day in Muxia to rest/relax/reflect at the end of my journey.

Possible modified plan:
  2. Negreira to Lago (Mazaricos) (25km)
  3. Lago (Mazaricos) to Cee (26km)
I'm hoping to walk through some pros and cons of this. (Probably by the time I've finished writing I'll have made a decision, but I'll post anyway for feedback and for others to reference in the future)!

Biggest con of the modified plan: I will walk longer days towards the end of my Camino. For the previous parts of my trip I have planned shorter stages and intend to take a relaxed pace. Three days of over 20km in a row will actually be the longest stretch of long days that I have.

Biggest pro of the modified plan: I will have an extra day to relax in Muxia when I get there. I might even stay at the Parador for one night (then in Muxia town for the second night; I can't afford two nights at the Parador)! They have a spa... a really nice looking spa....

I suppose I could also leave this part open to how I feel when I get to that leg of the trip. Spirit of the Camino and all that. It costs a lot less to book the Parador ahead of time if I'm going to do the modified plan though.

In any case, by the end of June, I'm hoping the water in Muxia is warm enough to swim at Espineirido Beach.

What do you all think? Stick with the original schedule, or walk longer days and have a spa day at the end?

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia is actually a really nice route.
I walked it in May this year.
I had always thought of it as a kind of 'add on' rather than a Camino worth walking in it's own right.
Not sure why.
It's a beautifull route.

The exit from Santiago is really nice.
Within a few minutes you are in the countryside!

So you might not want to 'rush' it.
I walked it at the end of quite a long Camino, and so planned to take my time with relatively short days.
I was glad that I did.

Whilst Muxia is a lovely place and the best Camino end point in my view.....
It's a small place with not much there.
Depending what you want to do there of course.

Copied from an earlier post.

My stages were

Santiago to Negreira 20 kms
Santa Marina 21 kms
O Logoso 16.5 kms
Corcubion 17.8 kms
Fisterra 10. 8 kms + 6.4 return to lighthouse
Muxia 28 kms

As Fisterra to Muxia was my last day on Camino, I thought I would try it in one day.
It wasn't actually that hard. (Maybe due to the 'warm up' walking from Seville)

And a second breakfast at Lires helped! :)

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the advice! I definitely do not want to rush - the rest of my Camino (Portuguese + Variante Espiritual) is a downright meandering pace by comparison. It would really suck to get blisters at the end of the trip!

I can see there might not be much to do in Muxia. If I stay at the Parador, I'd just laze about in their spa or pool all day, I'm sure!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hey, thanks for the advice! I definitely do not want to rush - the rest of my Camino (Portuguese + Variante Espiritual) is a downright meandering pace by comparison. It would really suck to get blisters at the end of the trip!

I can see there might not be much to do in Muxia. If I stay at the Parador, I'd just laze about in their spa or pool all day, I'm sure!

Sounds like a plan! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Agree with the comments about it being a lovely Camino, would highly recommend - in Muxia right now and it’s a perfect ending. Bus leaves at 3 pm today. We came from Lires yesterday, and arrived around 12:30, so plenty of time in Muxia.
Our stages were very manageable, we stopped for photos, coffee, to chat with locals, who seemed very friendly on this route, etc.
Negriera 21
Santa Marina 21
Hospital 18 ( we took advantage of the shuttle offered by Casa Jurjo to A Picota and back to Hospital the next morning)
Cee 14
Fisterra 15
Lires14
Muxia 14

Last edited:
Agree with the comments about it being a lovely Camino, would highly recommend ( the perfect weather helped) - in Muxia right now and it’s a perfect ending. Bus leaves at 3 pm today. We came from Lires yesterday, and arrived around 12:30, so plenty of time in Muxia.
Our stages were very manageable.
Negriera
Santa Marina
Hospital ( we took advantage of the shuttle offered by Casa Jurjo to A Picota and back to Hospital the next morning)
Cee
Fisterra
Lires
Muxia
This is very valuable information. I was wondering how long it would take to get to Muxia from Lires.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My stages in 2016:

Santiago
Negreira
Ponte Olveira
Cee
Fisterra.

In Cee I stayed at Pension Beiramar with water views. Special price for pilgrims (35 Euros in 2016}. Had lunch at a nearby resto where for dessert I was offered ice cream with whisky. I nearly said no, and was glad that I decided yes.

Hello, thank you all for your time again.

I'm a planner through and through. (Though maybe I can let go of some of that when I go on the Camino). I am looking at the Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia leg of my trip in June 2024. I'm wondering whether I should plan to take two or three days to get from Negreira to Cee.

Original plan:
  2. Negreira to Vilaserio (13km) or Santa Mariña (21)km
  3. Vilaserio/Santa Mariña to Olveiroa (21km or 13km)
  4. Olveiroa to Cee (19km)
However, I saw that @trecile had a great time at the Albergue Monte Aro when I was digging around the forum, which led to me pondering on walking further starting from Negreira. Overall this would then give me an extra day in Muxia to rest/relax/reflect at the end of my journey.

Possible modified plan:
  2. Negreira to Lago (Mazaricos) (25km)
  3. Lago (Mazaricos) to Cee (26km)
I'm hoping to walk through some pros and cons of this. (Probably by the time I've finished writing I'll have made a decision, but I'll post anyway for feedback and for others to reference in the future)!

Biggest con of the modified plan: I will walk longer days towards the end of my Camino. For the previous parts of my trip I have planned shorter stages and intend to take a relaxed pace. Three days of over 20km in a row will actually be the longest stretch of long days that I have.

Biggest pro of the modified plan: I will have an extra day to relax in Muxia when I get there. I might even stay at the Parador for one night (then in Muxia town for the second night; I can't afford two nights at the Parador)! They have a spa... a really nice looking spa....

I suppose I could also leave this part open to how I feel when I get to that leg of the trip. Spirit of the Camino and all that. It costs a lot less to book the Parador ahead of time if I'm going to do the modified plan though.

In any case, by the end of June, I'm hoping the water in Muxia is warm enough to swim at Espineirido Beach.

What do you all think? Stick with the original schedule, or walk longer days and have a spa day at the end?

Thanks for listening to me ramble!
We walked Santiago to Muxia September 2022 over 7 nights just after walking the last 100km of the Portuguese.
Santiago to Negreira 21km
Negreira to Lago (Monte Aro!) 28km
Lago to O Logoso (resident ponies) 10km
O Logoso to Corcubion 18km
Corcubion to Finisterre 18km (including walk to lighthouse)
Finisterre to Lires 15km (took coastal variant into Lires)
Lires to Muxia 15km

Yes, it was much longer than some take. It is such a beautiful walk that I'm so glad we did. The Albergues at Lago (Monte Aro), O Logoso and Muxia (Arribada) are all excellent. If you have the time, consider staying in Lires overnight. Lovely coastal town with all the services and good food. The Muxiana certificate available at the tourist's office is beautiful.

On your kind advice to spread out the walking and not stress out the end of my Camino, I might do:

1. Santiago to Negreira - 21km
2. Negreira to Lago (Mazaricos) - 28km
3. Lago (Mazaricos) to O Logoso - 10km
4. O Logoso to Cee - 15km
5. Cee to Finisterre (including lighthouse) - 18km
6. Finisterre to Lires - 13km
7. Lires to Parador Costa da Morte - 14km
8. Parador to Muxia - 5km

And on the eighth day, since it's such a short day, I can get my Muxiana, swim at Espineirido Beach to wash away my worries, and take the 15:15 bus out of Muxia back to Santiago for the night. (Have a flight to make the next day, can't overnight in Muxia town and make it).

The Negreira to Lago day will be quite long for me, but then I get a bunch of short days afterwards, so hopefully it will be all right.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Agree with the comments about it being a lovely Camino, would highly recommend - in Muxia right now and it’s a perfect ending. Bus leaves at 3 pm today. We came from Lires yesterday, and arrived around 12:30, so plenty of time in Muxia.
Our stages were very manageable, we stopped for photos, coffee, to chat with locals, who seemed very friendly on this route, etc.
Negriera 21
Santa Marina 21
Hospital 18 ( we took advantage of the shuttle offered by Casa Jurjo to A Picota and back to Hospital the next morning)
Cee 14
Fisterra 15
Lires14
Muxia 14
@auburnfive What time in the morning did you leave Lires? I heard it's a bit of an uphill from Lires to Muxia - how many hours did it take to walk from Lires to Muxia?

@auburnfive What time in the morning did you leave Lires? I heard it's a bit of an uphill from Lires to Muxia - how many hours did it take to walk from Lires to Muxia?
When I walked from Muxía to Lires it took me about 3.5 hours. The hill is steeper going to Lires from Muxía.

Screenshot_20231011_124357_Firefox.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Haha, maybe I'll budget 5 hours and set off early in the morning to make it to the Parador by noonish so I can spend time in their spa in the afternoon before check-in.

Appreciate the information!

@rainswift, your Cies Islands post has led me to this one so I'll chime in... 😉

I did things in the opposite direction to your plan. With not enough time to walk from SdC after my CP, I bussed to Muxia, stayed o/night then walked to Finisterre via a night in Lires. I'm really glad you have added Lires!...I loved it there! As it's a short haul from Muxia, I spent a blissful afternoon wandering along the river to the wonderful beach...complete with very convenient bar 🥂 overlooking aforementioned beach.

I risk getting in over my head here but...at Lires during dinner with a few previously unmet pilgrims, one walking your direction told me of the old path in/out of the village (depending on your perspective!) which stays on the coast longer than the newer route. He told me how to access it, which I did & it was glad of it as it was very scenic.
I'm fuzzy on details now but someone with a more acute memory for these things may be able to steer you towards it if you'd like to enter Lires that way. Way marking was fading (2015) but the path was obvious & I had no trouble linking back to the main route.
Oh...the possibilities...enjoy planning! 🤗
👣🌏

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you so much! I do like the scenic routes!

I risk getting in over my head here but...at Lires during dinner with a few previously unmet pilgrims, one walking your direction told me of the old path in/out of the village (depending on your perspective!) which stays on the coast longer than the newer route. He told me how to access it, which I did & it was glad of it as it was very scenic.
It's part of the Camiño dos Faros, and you can see it on the mapy.cz app.
See the green line on this screenshot.

Screenshot_20231011_202935_Mapycz.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What mapping app is that one?
It's called mapy.cz

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back