• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Negreira to Olveiroa advice

Garethmcm

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2023
We plan to get from Negreira to Olveiroa in one day but don't feel that we can walk all of it, so we plan to take a taxi for part of the distance. What I'd like to know is, which part of the walk is the most scenic and interesting - the first part or the second part?
We would also book the taxi in advance. Thanks for any advice

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have always split the stage and stayed at Albergue Casa Pepa in Santa Mariana (21.1km).

There is another albergue a little further along in Lago Albergue Monte Aro (27.6km).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I liked it too! Here is the Casa Pepe dorm in December 2013. All was pleasant with very good food.

Santa Marina Maronas, Casa Pepa.jpg

Last edited:
I stayed in Santa Marina when I walked to Muxia and Fisterra, and would do so again. Even at that time, the stage to Olveiroa was too long for me, and my distances have not gotten any longer in the meantime.
Love Santa Marina. Stayed there 2x, 2019 and 2021. They even gave me an entire dorm room in another building to myself during the plague when I arrived late and the only bed left in the upstairs dorm was the one nearest the toilet. Great dinner and they let a few of us use yet another large building across the street to partake of vino and orujo until the wee hours after the main dinner area closed.

Agree with another post. Walk as far as you want, then stay nearby in an albergue if possible. Taxi using one of the many posted phone numbers as absolute resort. Don't need to prebook any of this route.

I stayed in Santa Marina when I walked to Muxia and Fisterra, and would do so again. Even at that time, the stage to Olveiroa was too long for me, and my distances have not gotten any longer in the meantime.
I also am on the Camino to Finisterre and Muxia. I am staying in Cee tonight. I plan to walk the 15k to Finisterre tomorrow (Tuesday) and then walk to M, I hope. I will buss back to Santiago Wednesday late afternoon. Any advice on where to stay in F&M, or somewhere in between? All recommendations appreciated!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Marla in CA,

If you have not yet checked at Cee you might consider the simple, welcoming albergue at San Roque/Corcubion. In the dark from their dorm window when you see the lighthouse beacon at Finisterre shining on the silver sea it is magical. This is a great stop before the nrxt day's walk along the beach into Finisterre and kilometer 0.

Wherever you do stay enjoy the last days of this camino!

Last edited:
Marla in CA,

If you have not yet checked at Cee you might consider the simple, welcoming albergue at San Roque/Corcubion. In the dark from their dorm window when you see the lighthouse beacon at Finisterre shining on the silver sea it is magical. It is a great stop before the nrxt day's walk along the beach into Finisterre and kilometer 0.

Wherever you do stay enjoy the last days of this camino!
Thank you. I actually had intended to walk to Corcubion, but I walked 20 k in the rain today from Olveiroa. I left all my rain gear and warmer clothes in Santiago along with my big backpack, until my return. So I am just getting warm at my pension in Cee after being cold and wet for the last 5 hours!

Thank you. I actually had intended to walk to Corcubion, but I walked 20 k in the rain today from Olveiroa. I left all my rain gear and warmer clothes in Santiago along with my big backpack, until my return. So I am just getting warm at my pension in Cee after being cold and wet for the last 5 hours!
Thank you for your update. Glad that you are getting warm after the cold and rain. Carpe diem !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Any advice on where to stay in F&M, or somewhere in between?
I must admit I have forgotten the names of the albergues that I stayed in in Muxia and Fisterra, and my credencial is at home and I'm not. The albergue in Muxia was one of the more pleasant places, with individual booths, power points, etc, and I would recommend it if I could remember its name. I'm sorry I cannot be more helpful.

I must admit I have forgotten the names of the albergues that I stayed in in Muxia and Fisterra, and my credencial is at home and I'm not. The albergue in Muxia was one of the more pleasant places, with individual booths, power points, etc, and I would recommend it if I could remember its name. I'm sorry I cannot be more helpful.
thank you! I will see what I find. I assumed there are not too many to choose from?

We plan to get from Negreira to Olveiroa in one day but don't feel that we can walk all of it, so we plan to take a taxi for part of the distance. What I'd like to know is, which part of the walk is the most scenic and interesting - the first part or the second part?
Another option depending on your preference could be to stay in a pension such as Casa Jurjo in A Picota - they will come and pick you up at a few locations. I used this last year as by 5pm and the intense heat I realised I wouldn’t make it there by foot and so called them at the pick up spot at Lago. ( time had previously been spent having lovely late lunch at Casa Pepe before facing the huge hill !) It was easier to walk the extra few kms fresh the next morning. Booked again with them for next week but plan to walk the “ green arrow” detour directly to them - weather looks to be heating up again though!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In 2018 I arrived in Muxía on the weekend of a big festival. I wanted a private room, but everything was totally booked, including dorms at Bella Muxía and other private albergues. So I went with my plan B, which was the Xunta albergue. It's got the best view in town! You can see from all directions from the rooftop terrace.

Re Negreira to Olveiroa, coming from Santiago I did not stop in Negreira, but stayed in Vilaserio and then found the distance to Olveiroa perfectly manageable.
Buen camino whichever way you go!

I hear there is a shortcut a A Picota between Negreira and Olveiroa. Anyone knows about this? How many km does this save?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The route up and down Monte Aro, then through A Picota and on to Olveiroa is lovely: I just did it today. I would do it only on a good weather day, as it is very exposed on the mountain. It is well marked with green and yellow arrows and with a good option sign board where you leave the regular Camino Finisterre in Castro.
However, this option is actually 1.4 km longer than the regular Camino Finisterre route to Olveiroa, so not likely you would do it if you are coming from Negreira, with the very long hill from there up to Pixar A Peña.

For what to eliminate on the long Negreira to Olveiroa section, I would suggest keeping the beginning (Negreira to Santa Marina - 21km) and taking a taxi from the Casa Pepa albergue / bar-cafe in Santa Marina to Olveiroa. The hill from Negreira to Piaxe A Peña is long (9 km) but it is mostly on trails and shaded. Once you are past Piaxe A Peña, the route is mostly open, which could be an issue if there is hot sun. In that case, you could take a taxi from the Alta A Peña albergue/cafe near the top of the hill to some place such as Santa Marina and then walk from there to Olveiroa.
Hope this helps!

Thanks to all for your advice. What we actually did was to walk from Negreira to Casa Pepa in Santa Marina, had a nice drink and a rest there and then ordered a taxi. We had planned to stay at Casa Loncho in Olveiroa that night and they sent a taxi for us, at a cost of 20 euro.
I would recommend Casa Loncho for their overall helpfulness, friendliness and the facilities. Incidentally it was just as well we had booked in advance because apparently Olveiroa, a small village, was completely booked up that night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back