• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

new girl on the block

lesleyjane

hello everyone, my name is Lesley, I'm a 56 year old woman, overweight and unfit who is currently undergoing chemo and surgery for breast cancer. Walking the way of st James in late spring 2009 has become my focus and inspiration and I would be most grateful for any advice anyone might have. I must confess that my motivation is spiritual more than anything else, but as I have no experience of long distance walking I don't want to land up being so heavenly minded that I'm no earthly good! I had tentatively thought that 10miles a day might be a manageable daily distance, does this seem reasonable? I expect to have a double mastectomy in November and thought that if I swim regularly and build my strength up slowly over winter and early spring that I might manage this distance each day. I am not time constrained at all and would like to walk the entire way. I know I have many questions to ask, but this seems the most pertinent one at the moment, so I would be most grateful for some feedback. Many thanks to you all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome to the forum! I hope you are feeling better soon & your treatments go as planned. :)

As for the Camino, do you plan to walk the Camino Frances? That is the most populous route. As for walking only 10 miles a day, that's okay. Everyone walks at their own pace. Last time out, I was clocking 20k/day, which is about 12.4 miles (10k = 6.2 miles approx.). Sometimes, you may have to walk a bit further; other days, a bit shorter, but it's your camino, so plan it as you would like to do it.

The most used guidebooks are the ones offered by the CSJ in the UK. I'm not sure of the link, but I think it's available on the homepage. :) Also popular are the John Brierley guides. I found that a combination of both worked best for me. The CSJ guide is updated each year, while the Brierley guide has pictures & maps so you can get an idea of what's ahead.

Also, many of us have blogs with photos & info (with a side of whining sometimes ;) ), so feel free to check them out. The link to mine is in my signature & many others are listed on the homepage. Feel free to ask questions! That's what we're here for! :D

I'm hoping to go back to the CF in April or May 2009, starting in Pamplona, & skipping the bits I either didn't care for or won't miss.

Buen Camino! :arrow:

Kelly

Welcome to the forum Lesley!

Doing some training before you leave is a good idea. It seems like you have set up a plan, and that is a good start.

As for the forum, I hope it will be useful in your planning. We are here to help! :)

Good luck with your treatment and your camino planning.

Greetings from Santiago de Compostela,
Ivar

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I heartily endorse Ivar's comment about doing training before you leave home. I ve seen quite a few people not bother only to have to pull out because of injuries. One woman on the Via de la plata was confined to an albergue because she didnt do any training before hand,got a sprained ankle but kept going and was spending 4 days on a bed.I suspect she did not continue as she was virtually immobile. She also did not take any books! so I gave her one of mine,I'm amazed that people do not take at least one book-and ear plugs.
It is also VERY important to:
have good broken in boots
take around 6-7 kgs
train before going
You might also consider starting after the Pyrenees-the first stage is VERY demanding-even if you stop half way up.

Lesley, Welcome...I think you've landed on the most perfect spot to learn about the Camino! Check out all the various and sundry listings and topics...there is an unbelievable wealth of info here from people who've gone and done it before. Some have done it several times, some of us only once (and waiting and plotting to do it again!) The support is amazing.

Keep us abreast (bad ass pun...sorry) of your progress, you will aboslutely be in my prayers (as well as a gazillion others when word spreads ...) You are already an inspiration, just in your attitude and forward outlook. Go for it lady!

Wishing you all the best in all parts of your "road"
Buen Camino,
Karin

Hi Lesley,
I knew little about long distance walking before my Camino also. I would suggest you go to a hiking/sports/camping store and start looking at boots. I went to three stores before I found my hiking guru/boot salesman. Tell them what your plan is, about the terrain, your schedule, etc. A really knowledgeable person can look at your foot and fit you with a really good boot. My guy also recommended socks that he thought I should use. Both the boots and socks worked wonderfully for me. I would recommend getting your boots soon and start wearing them around. Then take walks as your energy level permits. The stores I visited had a policy that you could return the boots even if you had worn them for some months in the event that they didn't work out for you. This wasn't necessary for me though as they were perfect. I consider myself to be pretty frugal but I spent whatever I had to on boots, insoles, and socks and I do not regret that decision. I am very excited for you to have this marvelous Camino goal. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you heal and become strong and as you prepare to walk this wonderful Camino de Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Four years ago I was 56 and doing chemo as well. Now I am well past treatment and busy with many things. Whether you will be ready for the Camino in the spring is somewhat beyond your control. However, it is an excellent goal and motivator.

I am still not sure when I'll actually get to do the Camino, but I find that planning and training for it is entertaining and satisfying in itself! I now walk about 50 km/week, as I go about my business. I find that wearing a pedometer is a fun way to challenge and monitor myself.

I expect that I will first do part of the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago. So, I urge you to keep planning and start training, but be kind to yourself and don't consider it an all-or-nothing endeavour. Once you start walking a lot, you will find mini-pilgrimages everywhere, and the tranquility that seems to come from even an hour of walking.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.