• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte halfway point

Maxcheese

Time of past OR future Camino
Hey guys! I'm sure it's been adressed before but can't find anything on the subject. I know that on the norte, there's no official halfway point marker like in Sahagún on the francés, but anybody knows what is considered as the known halfway point? I'm in Llanes now nearing 400 km and I feel like I'm getting close to it so I was wondering... 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Google says 865km. So 433ish I guess. I’ll do so adding of stages and come back. If those numbers are accurate it would be just after Ribadesella

Edit: did you start in Irun?

Last edited:
I got 857km in the clock in 2017 starting in Irún, going over Oviedo and back to avilés, but the Norte is famous for being an intertwined network of caminos. Still, as Sparrow mentions above, Ribadesella is a good candidate, or even Vega and its amazing painted window panes and façades!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not sure what to make the halfway, 400 at llanes is further than I get from Irun to llanes using gronze but as @amancio notes there are many variant routes. If I use gronze and @amancio logged distance, about halfway would be sebrayo which would be 434 or Pernus at 428, found in the Collunga to Villaviciosa stage. If you want to go by stages, Llanes is the end of the 18th stage of 36 so 🎉.
I would have guessed Llanes was halfway if someone asked me

At any rate, you walked far and did A LOT of ups and downs by now so congratulations!! 🍾
Buen Camino!

Edit: for an odd reason Gronze marks the tiny town of Vega (Pernus) without any comment about why so perhaps it’s the halfway point but if so I saw nothing there to note that.

Last edited:
Here is one way of determining a midpoint of of an east to west journey; find the longitudes of the start and end points and then compute the longitude halfway between them and then find where that longitude crosses your path. You could do it on a map or use an app to watch your coordinates change as you walk. When you reach that longitude the distances that you walked and still have to walk are not likely to be the same but you could still say you reached a halfway point.

417k in ribadesella tonight so I've decided that my half way point is going to be mid walk tomorrow, which is a 38k ribadesella-Villaviciosa. We'll see in a few weeks upon touching the Santiago cathedral if I was on the spot or not 😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I left the Camino at Ribadesella in 2019 with the plan to return this year to finish. It must be close to halfway ... I had walked about 400 kms when I reached there. I loved the city and thought it would be a great place to return to when I am able to ... 2022 🤞

Gronze has this figure:
The Camino del Norte, from Irún to Arzúa, is 784 kilometers long and passes through 133 towns with services. If you add the distance of 39k (rounding up) from Arzua to Santiago it is 828K. When I walked in 2018 I checked a few websites and they all had about that distance. I think just about everywhere you check there will be a slight variation. There are so many distance signs outside of the official markers that have various distances to the same place it can drive you batty. But it is fun to see them. Just pick a distance you like divide by two then go on Gronze and figure out the closest town to that number you calculated.
Then there is always the question of the "official" starting point is it Bayonne or the more "traditional" start in Irun. If it is Bayonne than depending on the route you go you would add another 44.4k or 47.8k depending on if you take the "official" route or walk the variant along the coast. ;) 👍

I went to Wikiloc and found a track by Rocjumper that went 532.37 miles from Irun to SdC. Half that is 266.185 miles. Sliding my finger along the profile I somehow miraculously ended up with a short lived tooltip that showed 266.19. The blue dot on the profile and map above it shows that point. I would pick the celebration point to be when I stepped onto the overpass to Naves but I zoomed in so you can pick your own point.
Screenshot_20210917-105840.png Screenshot_20210917-105907.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
According to the Buen Camino app it's 825.89 km from Irun to Santiago on the standard route.
Half way is 412.945.
Cuerres is at 412.72

Distances from Irun

Screenshot_20210917-085032_Buen Camino.jpgScreenshot_20210917-085104_Buen Camino.jpg

417k in ribadesella tonight so I've decided that my half way point is going to be mid walk tomorrow, which is a 38k ribadesella-Villaviciosa. We'll see in a few weeks upon touching the Santiago cathedral if I was on the spot or not 😊
Ooh, we could make a betting pool!

I think there are so many variations on the Norte (variations to the coast, to ermitas, ways out of cities, boat or overland, on the beach or the promenade, over the hill or around it, etc , what counts as the start city, did you deviate to Valdedios or Oviedo then go back, etc that I think few walk the exact same distance.

An individualist Camino, like those who walk it.

I would pick the celebration point to be when I stepped onto the overpass to Naves but I zoomed in so you can pick your own point.
I changed my mind. In Naves there is a plaza with what looks like a crucero. I believe that the camino goes through the plaza. Around the plaza are some sidrerías. I'd celebrate at one of those.
Screenshot_20210917-165722.png

[Slightly edited]

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.