• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte in Jan/Feb

Malachiuri

CaminoTranquilo
Time of past OR future Camino
Forgive me if this has been asked to death, my search resulted in little.

I have walked 4 Camino Frances and kinda want to branch out to a different route. ViaDLPlata is an option, but presses my available time to its max.

I have a working farm and Jan/Feb is the only open window I have for travel.

Rain, snow, wind dont bother me much, in fact they are my favorite hiking conditions. I also have slept in a few church porches over the year so not worried about the occasional lodging issue.

So, any experiences to share??

Thanks much,
M

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
January and February are cold and dark months in Northern Spain. Many albergues will be shut and clothes drying might be a problem too. You will find private accomodation in all the larger towns though..
But if you're really ok with rain, snow and wind, and you don't mind finding shelter in a church porch or doorway if it comes to it, then there's really nothing to add but happy planning, buen camino!

Snow is extremely rare at the northern coast (at least below 300m). Rain and wind yes, count on it. Cold? Not really. Temperatures hardly get below zero at the coast, not even at night (again, a bit of a different story more inland and higher up). Dark? Depends of your perspective. On the shortest day it gets light around 9.00am and dark around 6.00pm. The sun can be out as well. Maximum temperatures of about 15ºc are not uncommon.

Oh, and yes, drying clothes might be a problem.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Frances in Jan/Feb of 2020 and had a great time, riiiiiight up until Covid showed up. Drying clothes isnt much of a worry, I pack 3 sets these days so I have extra on a daily basis.

My only real worry would be weather making routes unpassable and lodging. I tend to use hotels and posadas when available and have no clue what might be open.

Is there a list like Aprinca for other routes?

Current plan is to start checking availability this Jan and sending emails.

My next trip isnt till Jan 2025 which gives me plenty of time.

If the Norte looks iffy, I am planning the Vasco to Santo Domingo, the Frances to Ponferrada and then onto the Invernio as my backup plan.

M

I was there in February 2017. The issue is the isolation. You may meet families or pairs that are walking together but some stages I was the only pilgrim for days. It worked fine in the more expensive accommodation, but in Galicia the albergues were open and available but I was the only pilgrim in them. I ended to many stages alone, so I popped off to London to meet family.

It was great weather that year Jan 28-31 in San Sebastian was 26-30 degrees C. Amazing!!!!

Forgive me if this has been asked to death, my search resulted in little.

I have walked 4 Camino Frances and kinda want to branch out to a different route. ViaDLPlata is an option, but presses my available time to its max.

I have a working farm and Jan/Feb is the only open window I have for travel.

Rain, snow, wind dont bother me much, in fact they are my favorite hiking conditions. I also have slept in a few church porches over the year so not worried about the occasional lodging issue.

So, any experiences to share??

Thanks much,
M
Prepare for mud

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the Frances in Jan/Feb of 2020 and had a great time, riiiiiight up until Covid showed up. Drying clothes isnt much of a worry, I pack 3 sets these days so I have extra on a daily basis.
The Francés is on the other side of the mountain range and has a different climate: colder in winter, but probably also dryer. The humidity on the northern coast stays around 80-100% in winter.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.