• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

November weather

Jim Michie

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
Norte 2016
Due to some personal commitments I am unable to start walking the Plata until October 12th. I am curious as to what the weather will be the first couple of weeks in November. Mainly what to expect north of Salamanca.
Thanks for you help
Jim Michie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We had pilgrims over Christmas at Zamora in 2018. Some were traveling and others finishing.

Last edited:
Due to some personal commitments I am unable to start walking the Plata until October 12th. I am curious as to what the weather will be the first couple of weeks in November. Mainly what to expect north of Salamanca.
Thanks for you help
Jim Michie
I believe that @lt56ny walked the VdlP at that time. Hopefully he will weigh in here.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We walked the VdlP in 2019 and headed out of Seville on October 10th with 38°C, walked out of Salamanca with rain & wind, ended up going to Decathlon in Zamora to buy us all fleece lined cold weather walking pants as the temperature dropped. Turning onto the Sanabres the weather was crisp and dry and we found ourselves walking through shin deep snow on the Castillo/Leon- Galician border past Pueblo de Sanabres and walked into SdC hours before the heavens opened up for all the poor pilgrims still walking in early December. Plan for every type of weather and buy what you need as the weather turns. I loved walking the VdlP and Sanabres and would happily do it again in the Autumn/Winter period. Buen Camino and wish it was me.

We walked the VdlP in 2019 and headed out of Seville on October 10th with 38°C, walked out of Salamanca with rain & wind, ended up going to Decathlon in Zamora to buy us all fleece lined cold weather walking pants as the temperature dropped. Turning onto the Sanabres the weather was crisp and dry and we found ourselves walking through shin deep snow on the Castillo/Leon- Galician border past Pueblo de Sanabres and walked into SdC hours before the heavens opened up for all the poor pilgrims still walking in early December. Plan for every type of weather and buy what you need as the weather turns. I loved walking the VdlP and Sanabres and would happily do it again in the Autumn/Winter period. Buen Camino and wish it was me.
Thanks for your great response. My hats off for persevering in the snow. I'd have to think about that. You response was "we" I assume you walked with you wife... I don't see that happening with my wife. My hats off especially to her.
Jim Michie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You're very welcome, and there were 3 of us. My husband, myself and our 15 year old daughter (who already had the Frances, Norte & Primitivo under our belts) and the snow was one of the best parts of the long journey. Don't fret if it snows as the worst outcome is damp shoes and sections of that stage take the road. All along the VdlP/Sanabres has stunning scenery that will stay with you forever. A heads up to stay at Rionegro de Puente on the Sanabres. The municipal albergue is good and across the road is "Mi gusta Comer", a restaurant that serves the best pilgrim menu in Spain. It was a degustation and the gentleman is a master chef who delights in serving amazing food. And stay in Lubian, a delightful small village with stone wolf traps and a great little albergue just as you walk in. We did a "live from the Camino" about our VdlP experience if you are interested. Buen Camino and hope to see some posts on how its going.

LIVE from the Camino @DeansFamily on the Vdlp​

Jim, here's the thread to look for. Hope it helps.

Finished my slow Via last year on 20 November 2022 (in Santiago). You will need some warmer layers for the evening after Salamanca. I bought some light fleece track pants and a fleece vest at the Decathlon in Salamanca but only wore my normal layers in the day - hiking pants, 2 layers mid weight merino tops - lightweight fleece - rain gear as needed for rain/wind. And often removed layers as the day wore on back down to short sleeve merino top.
All in all totally manageable.
EDIT. I noticed the weather became decidedly colder in Santiago very shortly after I arrived. I just read some of the DeansFamily posts and realised that November on the Sanabres would be a lot colder than I experienced- for one I didn’t see any snow.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from AlmerĂ­a. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back