A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

O'Cebreiro in the snow

4 Eyes

Camino(s) past & future
CF from SJPP 14, VDLP from Seville 15, DN&P from Irun 16, Portuguese from Lisbon 17
The camino leading to O'Cebreiro, and O'Cebreiro on October 29, 2018, covered in snow of up to 4 feet. Parts of the camino was close to impassible. Way marks were all covered, but that was not the worst problem.

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
(2003) Francés, (2014) Francés, (2016) Portugués , (2016) Aragonés, (2018) del Norte to Primitivo
Was O'Cebreiro named after an Irishman?:)

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Nothing looks open! What did you do?
I was at O'Cebreiro too and nothing that has been photographed here was to be "opened" any time of the year unless 3rd and 4th photo is taken (is it albergue???) from the lower (i.e. Camino) side ;)

But you can bet something WAS opened.

seashell

Camino(s) past & future
July 2016
The camino leading to O'Cebreiro, and O'Cebreiro on October 29, 2018, covered in snow of up to 4 feet. Parts of the camino was close to impassible. Way marks were all covered, but that was not the worst problem.
That’s exactly how it looked when my wife and I passed through in April. From O Cebreiro we followed footsteps that had been made earlier in the day by a couple of pilgrims. The snow was a good metre or so deep for over a km. I’m pretty sure that we stayed on the correct path but it was very hard going. When we finally arrived in Fonfria it turned out that everyone else had followed the road. Our mistake but what’s life without (mis)adventures 😊.

Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
Magical. I have been in a white-out in mid-May at O'Cebreiro. It can and does snow often there.

nomadpeah

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2015, (CF 2018)
That’s exactly how it looked when my wife and I passed through in April. From O Cebreiro we followed footsteps that had been made earlier in the day by a couple of pilgrims. The snow was a good metre or so deep for over a km. I’m pretty sure that we stayed on the correct path but it was very hard going. When we finally arrived in Fonfria it turned out that everyone else had followed the road. Our mistake but what’s life without (mis)adventures 😊.
Also there in April!
We enjoyed it though.

Attachments

robertt

Great pics.

I was lucky to ascend on a winter's day which was perfect. https://slowcamino.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/o-cebreiro-the-ascent/

In 2010 the Pyrenees were closed in late spring, though I was eventually able to pass via Valcarlos. When I came back in winter 2011 to restart in Pamplona, people coming from behind (everyone overtakes me, okay?) had no trouble crossing in midwinter. There had been a big freeze when I walked out of Pamplona, so cold I couldn't stop without chilling in minutes, but wind and precipitation were absent for almost the whole of my winter/spring Frances. There was a lot of snow in Europe that season, but not much on the Camino. The hardest thing was negotiating icy ruts in the high country of the Montes de Oca. (I know that sounds like a First World problem, but it was actually very tricky. No, really.)

Thanks again for those pics. Lot of memories there.

nomadpeah

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2015, (CF 2018)
Great pics.

I was lucky to ascend on a winter's day which was perfect. https://slowcamino.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/o-cebreiro-the-ascent/

In 2010 the Pyrenees were closed in late spring, though I was eventually able to pass via Valcarlos. When I came back in winter 2011 to restart in Pamplona, people coming from behind (everyone overtakes me, okay?) had no trouble crossing in midwinter. There had been a big freeze when I walked out of Pamplona, so cold I couldn't stop without chilling in minutes, but wind and precipitation were absent for almost the whole of my winter/spring Frances. There was a lot of snow in Europe that season, but not much on the Camino. The hardest thing was negotiating icy ruts in the high country of the Montes de Oca. (I know that sounds like a First World problem, but it was actually very tricky. No, really.)

Thanks again for those pics. Lot of memories there.
😳 the tricky bits are stressful!

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%