• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OMG. I can´t believe I made it this far!

AnnieBobanny

Hello everyone,
I´m reporting in from the Camino. Wow. It´s only my 4th day and already I´ve experienced so many ups and downs, joys and pains, sometimes I wonder WHAT in the hell I am doing out here, other times I think there is nowhere else I want to be.

It´s been hard going, given my general lack of fitness, weight, and smoky lungs. But I guess given all that, it´s not going so bad. Last night I was seriously ready to quit. That was it, I was done. I was in so much pain I knew I couldn´t go another step. After a night´s sleep and not wanting to go home feeling like a failure, I decided to go on. I thought, ok, it´s difficult, but I´m not going to die, and if it were easy, why do it ? So I was about 2km out from the place I stayed in Biskaretta, not feeling at all sure I was doing the right thing or if I wanted to be there or if I could bear the pain in my calves and feet. Then I looked up and there was a stop sign. Which someone had spray pained the words "don´t" and "walking" so it read "don´t stop walking". and I just burst into tears. It was what I needed. And I knew I would keep going. I read on here before someone wrote that on the Camino you get what you need. And when you least expect it. I got what I needed. So onward I go, totally unsure, in pain, hoping not to run out of money before I get to Santiago, etc, etc, etc, but I go anyway, because for some inexplicable reason, I know I have to.

gotta go. Time is about to run out on this machine. Don´t know when I´ll be able to log in again.

Buen Camino!!!

Annie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A day of complete rest is amazingly restorative. Consider it! Congratulations on keeping going.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Don't be fooled Annie. Even those who have taken the trouble to get fit know what pain is.

Remember as you go up the hills that if you lean slightly forward on your sticks that up to a third of your body weight is being taken by your arms. It helps.

Don't overdo it and remember there is no race to get to Santiago.

If you runn out of money and have to come home remember that the Camino will be there for your next holiday and many people walk in three stages over three years.

In the mean time, keep your nerve and get as far as you can. You could well find yourself taking that line even as you climb the cathedral steps/

Hi Annie,

I see from your post that all is as it should be on the Camino today and its all going to plan :)

There is a tiny percentage of pilgrims that can report zero pain in the first week so you are among the vast majority. This means that whatever it is that the Camino has in store for you, at least the first step, the 'asking the question of your resolve' is underway.
What will begin to happen in a wee while is that your routine will become habit and when it becomes habit, pains and concerns about fitness etc will disappear and in turn will open your eyes to the beauty to come and believe me, there are countless beautiful moments ahead of you.
Hold your resolve, treat those feet and each day raise your head a little more than the last.

Buen camino

Greg

Hi imagine how you'll feel when you make it all the way!!,try not to worry to much about the money, you always spend too much to begin with and anyway the wine and the smokes are cheap :D
enjoy
Ian

A selection of Camino Jewellery
aahh yes it dóes sound like everything is well on the Camino :)

I sometimes wonder where that comes from, the drive to plod on and on and on even when it is completely optional and the pain is excrutiating it just seems like it is the only thing one can do...

I walked 30k yesterday (on asphalt) to have coffee at my sisters and even when I was barely able to stand today, I still decided to go for a walk after work....

Go slow.
It is not a race.
Take a rest day.
There is no set number of kilometers you must walk.
Pay attention to the pain and be gentle on your body.
Buen Camino!

OMG...I remember that sign well, and damn near cried myself! Your doing so well, smokes and all! One foot in front of the other...repeat! All the others here have given lovely advice...esp, that it isn't a race! Looking forward to hearing about your journey, wishing you well, Karin

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Annie,
It is never easy for anyone. Your attitude is an inspiration for all!
Buen Camino...

Way to go AnnaB - you are doing well - brave and good person that you are!

I don't think anyone told you but days three to six can be the worst. First two days ..okayy... then the next few the body can really rebel (as you have found out). Many people (of those who drop out) leave at Logrono - day five.

It gets better, it is all part of the Camino - and when you get home you know you'll be able to outpace any mugger you meet :lol:

keep in touch - one foot in front of the other - Ultreiya!!! :wink:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Br. David said:
It gets better, it is all part of the Camino - and when you get home you know you'll be able to outpace any mugger you meet :lol: :

No she won't Br. David. She will simply trip them up and then hit them with the walking pole that will now never leave her hand. :shock:

What an absolutely beautiful Camino story, Annie!
Santiago is already watching after you and wanting you to get there!
Your story just made my day!
Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Keep going Annie ...you can do it.
The Camino is an amazing experience ....

Wow, thanks to everybody for the wonderful words of support. This camino thing was a really good idea. Whoever came up with it was a genius. lol.

I truly do appreciate everyone's thoughts and boosts of encouragement to me, a complete stranger.

To Br.David: As it turns out, I did infact end my camino in Logrono, on the TENTH day!

Yeah, it took me 10 days to get to Logrono, lol, but I don't care. As was said previously, it's not a race. I felt it was time to stop for now, for a few different reasons, but that's ok. I got so much out of this journey even in the short time that I was there. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever done, and I will definitely be going back to continue or finish it.

Lots of love to everyone,
Annie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
well done annie.

we will look forward to hearing part 2 when you are ready to return.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back