• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Omicron be damned, I bought flights to Portugal today

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I used mileage points, so no real cash out of pocket, and I haven't got a return ticket yet. If all goes well, my thrice jabbed self will arrive in Lisbon on Easter. I plan to start walking on Wednesday, the 20th of April.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen Camino @trecile. For the time being I am to land in Lisbon about 3 weeks ahead of you… and then grab a commuter flight to Bilbao To walk from there.
Waiting… watching… hoping…
Do you plan to walk out of Lisbon?
I had thought about doing that myself, but I grew overwhelmed at the thought of lack of infrastructure, and not being quite in the “high season” for things to be open…

Do you plan to walk out of Lisbon?
I had thought about doing that myself, but I grew overwhelmed at the thought of lack of infrastructure, and not being quite in the “high season” for things to be open…
Yes, I'm walking from Lisbon. It seems that the weather should be good that time of year. I know that there isn't much infrastructure between Lisbon and Porto, but I can deal with that. I kind of like the idea of starting out alone and having the number of pilgrims steadily build as I approach Santiago.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes, I'm walking from Lisbon. It seems that the weather should be good that time of year. I know that there isn't much infrastructure between Lisbon and Porto, but I can deal with that. I kind of like the idea of starting out alone and having the number of pilgrims steadily build as I approach Santiago.
It's not really that there isn't much infrastructure. Obviously less than there is beyond Porto, but enough, I would say. When we walked in Sep 2020, all the municipal albergues were closed because of Covid, and even then we were able to find reasonably priced accommodation along the route. So I'm sure you'll be fine in that respect.

Boa viagem e bom caminho! I hope to meet you in Lisbon.

I used mileage points, so no real cash out of pocket, and I haven't got a return ticket yet. If all goes well, my thrice jabbed self will arrive in Lisbon on Easter. I plan to start walking on Wednesday, the 20th of April.
We, too, used mileage points and are still planning our spring Portuguese Camino arriving in Porto April 14. I see you’re from southern Oregon. I grew in Roseburg and then spent 10 years up in Corvallis. Go Beavers!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We used mileage points as well. Now leaving and hoping to do part of CF and part of the Invierno. Very limited posting of accommodations on the Invierno so far.

I feel your pain. My husband is very anti travel with all this Covid business going on, I had just convinced him to go to Lisbon in January to do part of the Camino Portugues, luckily I was just at the planning stage and looking at flights to fit in with our dates, as now with “omicron” he has changed his mind☹️🥲I am gutted, I miss the Camino sooooo much and can’t wait to get back to the Camino. 😀💕👣

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yay for @trecile! I think you’ve made a sensible choice. No one knows what April will look like.

I remember that in August of 2021, I met up with jpflavin, and I told him I was doubting whether to walk a camino in 2021 or to wait till 2022. He said to me — What do you think will be different in 2022? So I walked in 2021. Though it was not my best camino ever, I am so glad I went!

I will have the same mentality for 2022 — forge ahead, buy tickets, and then evaluate whether it’s reasonable to go when the time comes. Covid will be with us, that much we know, but I think the world is trying to move into a “live with it” mode. I just saw that Pfizer says it can be ready with an Omicron vaccine in 100 days if needed!

Life, and the Camino go on. Plan, reserve (with good cancellation provisions), pray and hope for a positive outcome. That is what I am doing.

Right now, I am planning to meet JennyH94 at Zamora to finish the VDLP with her. She is starting from Sevilla after Easter in late April. I will join her in late May. She is walking solo - as usual. I am trying to help her create a peleton of slow walking friends.

Jenny does not necessary need the company but family members on the other side of the world might feel better if she has a mate or two tagging along. So I try to help.

Of course, this presumes that they will let her out of Australia to travel to Spain and back.

Like I said, all we can do is plan - and hope that God does not laugh.

Fingers crossed!

Tom

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ominicron "be damned"? Are we back to Spring-Summer 2020, as pilgrim returnees/wannabees virtually slavering for a Camino, any Camino, just gimme a Camino already (because those posts read just like that) concocted travel shenanigans and wily cunning to leap borders and bend restrictions with diverse entry and exit points?

This is not a trip to Yellowstone, or the Great Wall of China or Las Vegas -- this is the Camino de Santiago. This ...folks, this is special. This is solitude, companionship, travail, sorrow, hilarity and compassion. Fresh air, healthful exercise, great food, and even better wine in 500 miles, take a pick of routes. This is walking west and going within. This is a pause. This is silence. This can be joy.

I get the distinct feeling we were getting kinda cocky, there, pretty arrogant, with this whole COVID experience. Got mask? Oh, yeah; a bunch! Got vaccine? Hey, I got two vaccines, look at me! Got travel plans? Got those tickets right here on my IPhone! Kids back in school, working from home, got it all figured out.

Because ... you can't tell me what to do, COVID: I decide.

COVID: "NOPE". (Watch this space.)

That should be a wondeful time of year in that area. Not too hot, but lots growing and excellent weather, as a rule.

I would suspect most of the albergues opening for the holy year will be open by then; when there are gaps, there should be lots of small sleeping places open, and not yet charging high-season prices.

Bom caminho!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What underlies concern about a Camino adventure in 2022 is the nature of the travel. We walked the Camino Frances in 2018. We stayed in a few nice hotels, isolated in our room. Although the privacy and luxury was welcome, we felt that disconnect from the Camino itself and much preferred the crowds, the camaraderie, and the spirit of the Albergue, private, municipal or religious; didn't matter. The concern? Albergue living is the perfect breeding ground for the spread of infectious disease. We both suffered from some unknown respiratory malady on our '18 journey; we joked that it was a sort of 'kennel cough', carried from one crowded facility to another. We met and slept near people from everywhere; several hundred people, some of whom were from the most obscure places. The solution for your April '22 journey? The Portuguese Camino is a great choice for a pilgrimage, particularly between Lisbon and Porto. A 'go decision' for Spain/Portugal though, should be a last minute one. Come a week prior to departure, even if travel is nominally allowed, if the CoronaVirus is raging and vaccines are showing less efficacy against variants, cancel your trip!!!

Based on purely anecdotal evidence obtained through several years of subjective observation (especially the large cluster of data put forth in 2020 and 2021), another forum thread has achieved par.

If ever I want an imperfect blend of encouragement, discouragement, judgement, condescension, and lecturing, I'll be sure to post my Camino plans here.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Also used points and will arrive in Europe on Easter Sunday, April 17th, 2022. This is my 4th attempt --each of the other 3 times, I also used freq flyer points and had them redeposited when I had to cancel due to covid (Advantage miles through American Airlines & partners) and also with Mileage Plus points through United Airlines and their partners. Still have credits with TAP to get me onto the Portuguese route-- the only airline I've encountered that would hedge on an actual reimbursement, but it was only an inter-European leg. Hopefully, all will go well. Heard some nations are issuing knee-jerk reactions to this variant. A leading physician is saying that this variant presents a bit differently, but symptoms are mild for most people, while saying that it's important for those with health problems and up in years (and myself is included in that group) should have the vaccine. Hope all settles down by my departure date. That said, I'm preparing for "here we go again" and having to cancel by the time April arrives. Arranging accommodations now and getting only places that have a cancel feature when booking.

Based on purely anecdotal evidence obtained through several years of subjective observation (especially the large cluster of data put forth in 2020 and 2021), another forum thread has achieved par.

If ever I want an imperfect blend of encouragement, discouragement, judgement, condescension, and lecturing, I'll be sure to post my Camino plans here.
Ah, amigo. Can you imagine what it would be like if we ever all got it right? That E major at the end of “a day in the life” but louder and longer… 😎

I completely understand anyone who thinks that I am being flippant or reckless.
I have huge respect for this virus and what we don't yet know about it.
I definitely will not travel if the situation continues to deteriorate.
I have been optimistic in recent months by the stellar job that Spain, and especially Portugal have done in vaccinating their populations, and had been enjoying dreaming about a Spring Camino next year. Then along comes the news of Omicron.
When I said Omicron be damned, I meant that I am still going to dream of a Spring Camino, but be fully ready to postpone my plans. Since I had the opportunity to purchase flights with my mileage points with very little risk of losing money I decided to put myself in the position of realizing the dream if it will be possible to do so safely.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A classic "Popeye" moment! I get it. I bought my tickets for last September's Camino exactly 50 weeks ago today. At that time, there was a whole lot of assumption, mental modelling, and guesswork attached to those tickets, and a lot of messages from the discouragement fraternity. It all worked our great for me in the end. Will it work out for you? Who knows, but if you don't take a chance, you'll never get there. Oh, and if you are wondering if it was worth it, a snippet from my Day Two in September: [fellow pilgrim] Why do you look so happy? [Rick M] Because there is nowhere else on earth I would rather be today.

Buen Camino

Albergue living is the perfect breeding ground for the spread of infectious disease.
I don’t disagree with you, but I have been amazed by the fact that there has been virtually no covid reported on the camino in albergues. There was that group walking (in 2020?) and maybe one other case I heard about. And I am sure the camino pipeline would have heard about it if there were a lot of infections.

Having said that, I only slept in one albergue in 2021, and that was in Samblismo where I had a private room (2-bed rooms at covid capacity = 1 person per room). But hearing from so many people who have done it makes me think that, depending on how things go, I may test the albergue waters again next year.

I have been optimistic in recent months by the stellar job that Spain, and especially Portugal have done in vaccinating their populations, and had been enjoying dreaming about a Spring Camino next year. Then along comes the news of Omicron.
When I said Omicron be damned, I meant that I am still going to dream of a Spring Camino, but be fully ready to postpone my plans. Since I had the opportunity to purchase flights with my mileage points with very little risk of losing money I decided to put myself in the position of realizing the dream if it will be possible to do so safely.
I understood all this in your original post. <3
Very different from the kinds of posts we see about whether Spain or Portugal will try to impose mean restrictions on the unvaccinated or demand tests etc etc.
If it costs us little to dream, then there is truly nothing lost… and if we remain aware that neither the camino nor the countries it crosses owe us our travels (and I know you are aware and respectful)… then we should do what will allow us to face another morning, another day…
BC
Faye

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good for you, it is so lovely to read something positive. I am starting from Porto on or about 14 May, maybe I will get to meet you if you are continuing on.

Good for you, it is so lovely to read something positive. I am starting from Porto on or about 14 May, maybe I will get to meet you if you are continuing on.
I'll probably be a few days ahead of you at that point, but I'll try to clear the weather for you if necessary. 😄

I hope this works out for you....
A most responsible and respectful post.
Fingers crossed 🤞

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'll probably be a few days ahead of you at that point, but I'll try to clear the weather for you if necessary. 😄
Please do that weather clearing!
Dear Spouse was hospitalized in January 2020 as his birthday present… diagnosed with unstable angina. Arterial occlusions… the whole thing. I told him that if he would just get better I would send him on the Portuguese that spring… On March 10th his cardiologist cleared him to go. On March 11th I was shopping for the tickets when we went into global lockdown.
I gave him an early b-day present this year of tix for mid May to early June on the CP. (points, no money lost except for the taxes and the insurance, but I will eat that if needed).
But I long for him to have that freedom, that triumph…

If it costs us little to dream, then there is truly nothing lost… and if we remain aware that neither the camino nor the countries it crosses owe us our travels (and I know you are aware and respectful)… then we should do what will allow us to face another morning, another day…
BC
Faye
Love this, Faye...so true!

I gave him an early b-day present this year of tix for mid May to early June on the CP.
I hope you both get to realize your Camino dreams in 2022.

Go girl 👧

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@trecile Good for you. It's great to read positive posts!

And yes, to this. That's what we're doing.

I will have the same mentality for 2022 — forge ahead, buy tickets, and then evaluate whether it’s reasonable to go when the time comes.

And this

Life, and the Camino go on. Plan, reserve (with good cancellation provisions), pray and hope for a positive outcome. That is what I am doing.

Like many others, our planned departure is about 4 months way - so I try not to get too caught up in the detail of what's possible / not possible now or next week etc. A lot can and will happen between now then. Is there such a thing as an optimistic realist? If so, count me in that group.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I booked mine for June the night before the new restrictions dropped this week. Definitely a yikes moment in the morning. Hopefully we are both able to safely make it work!

That's what I strive for, though some days the optimist part is hard to achieve.
Here is how, so far, I am deciding whether to go or not with tickets purchased for late April! Spain has done an excellent job of containing the virus this past season. I felt truly safer in Spain than in the States. So the decision for me regarding the virus will be simply is Spain open for tourism. If its open I am walking. I will get another booster and use appropriate PPE..
Can’t wait to go again!

Here is how, so far, I am deciding whether to go or not with tickets purchased for late April! Spain has done an excellent job of containing the virus this past season. I felt truly safer in Spain than in the States. So the decision for me regarding the virus will be simply is Spain open for tourism. If its open I am walking. I will get another booster and use appropriate PPE..
Can’t wait to go again!
Totally agree. So long as we continue to check en route, we can bring risk to a minimum. We cannot spend the rest of our lives locked in our houses. I will always respect and follow the rules put in place for everyone's safety, but I do not intend to become a hermit.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I understood all this in your original post. <3
Very different from the kinds of posts we see about whether Spain or Portugal will try to impose mean restrictions on the unvaccinated or demand tests etc etc.
BC
Faye
Such a nice take for the ever helpful and respectful @trecile…a little dreaming for something to look forward to. She has been a consistent and positive force in this forum. Here’s hoping her dream comes true!

Ominicron "be damned"? Are we back to Spring-Summer 2020, as pilgrim returnees/wannabees virtually slavering for a Camino, any Camino, just gimme a Camino already (because those posts read just like that) concocted travel shenanigans and wily cunning to leap borders and bend restrictions with diverse entry and exit points?

This is not a trip to Yellowstone, or the Great Wall of China or Las Vegas -- this is the Camino de Santiago. This ...folks, this is special. This is solitude, companionship, travail, sorrow, hilarity and compassion. Fresh air, healthful exercise, great food, and even better wine in 500 miles, take a pick of routes. This is walking west and going within. This is a pause. This is silence. This can be joy.

I get the distinct feeling we were getting kinda cocky, there, pretty arrogant, with this whole COVID experience. Got mask? Oh, yeah; a bunch! Got vaccine? Hey, I got two vaccines, look at me! Got travel plans? Got those tickets right here on my IPhone! Kids back in school, working from home, got it all figured out.

Because ... you can't tell me what to do, COVID: I decide.

COVID: "NOPE". (Watch this space.)

I never took it to mean anything other than an enthusiastic statement of finally deciding to start planning for the next pilgrimage.

For now, my 'be damned' moment is waiting on permission to be granted by 'She Who Must Be Obeyed'.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So happy for you. I am trying these tickets drama again one more time. Re-bought now for Porto in May. Finger crossed airlines not changing flights for me twice like last time. This sooooo awaited first camino must to come!

Last edited:
So happy for you. I am trying these tickets drama again one more time. Re-bought now for Porto in May. Finger crossed airlines not changing flights for me twice like last time. This sooooo awaited first camino must to come!
I fully expect my flights to change between now and April. It's just what happens, especially during a pandemic.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I fully expect my flights to change between now and April. It's just what happens, especially during a pandemic.
Yes im sure it will happen. As long they dont try to add a bunch of connections…since i bought a direct flight. im good to deal with the drama again. Lol

Last edited:
Well Omicron be dammed with flight cancellations and rescheduling and the escalation of Omicron, I have postponed my Camino until September 2022. Sigh, one day we get there.

I am planning too for a spring CF. It is just that I live in Europe (Norway) so I can activate my trip in a blink, when conditions are calm. It will cost me only small money for a flight to Madrid and a train to Pamplona.

Buen Camino to you! (hopefully). Hope is the last thing that will die.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Having been the 'be careful', 'don't take too many chances' voice on this thread I have to admit that my girlfriend and I have also planned a Spring walk. We leave Portland for Dublin on April 5th, to Lourdes, April 8th, SJPDP and then start the walk on the 12th of April. We fly back DUB-PDX on June 1st. (Slow walkers). Good fortune to all who walk this year!

Due to either spraining or breaking my toe I've had to change my travel dates. I'll be leaving a couple of weeks later, and plan to start from Lisbon on May 7th now.
Oh, sorry to hear that - ouch - but glad you can reschedule for just a few weeks later.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bom Caminho trecile! May the fair winds follow you all the way to Santiago! I hope you've healed well and take your time to enjoy the beautiful scenery along the way. What's the hurry? Life is too short to not stop and smell the roses, and take a fresh breath along the ocean! Relish your journey!

Before we leave for our Camino on the 18th next month, we'll be spending time with our son, his wife and our 18 year old grandson in Colorado Springs next week, our daughter and family in central MN, our other daughter in St, Paul and our youngest daughter and family here in town. We definitely want to spend as much time with all of them and be at peace when we leave to do our Camino:)
May we have many Caminos yet to walk!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.