• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Frances
Saint Jean Pied de Port
Peppers

photo taken October 10, 2011

Saint Jean Pied de Port, peppers 10.10. 2011.jpg

Named after the town of Espelette, about 35 km NW of SJPdP on the local voie Nive-Bidassoa, red Espelette peppers provide a piquant taste in Basque cooking. Such Chili pepper seeds were introduced to France during the 16th c. by seamen returning from Central /South America.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino Magdellena /Frances
east of Granon
marker

photo taken February 20, 2007

east of Granon, marker.jpg

Depicting the route of the Camino de Santiago crossing Rioja this marker is located on the Camino Magdellena which branches off the Camino Frances to arrive at Granon from the SE via the cemetery.

Camino Frances
O Cebreiro
Santa Maria a Real
tomb of Don Elias Valiña Sampedro

photo taken November 28, 2014

View attachment 144662

Within the church I paused at the tomb of Don Elias Valiña Sampedro the local priest well known for much historic camino research and for painting the first yellow arrows which pilgrims so diligently follow.

For basic info re O Cebreiro and Don Elias Valiña Sampedro's life and publications see this Spanish link.
Could you let me know how easy it is getting hotels and private pensions in November on Frances? I’ve not gone this late before and am concerned about available accommodations. Thank you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Could you let me know how easy it is getting hotels and private pensions in November on Frances? I’ve not gone this late before and am concerned about available accommodations. Thank you
frank john,

During the years when I walked in late autumn /winter I never had any difficulty finding a place to stay but I almost always stayed in non-reservable municipal albergues and only reserved for the last days in Santiago in a pilgrim room at San Martin Pinario. Since I always wore a full backpack I could easily stop whenever/wherever some place was open. The only constraints were the weather and, of course, my strength.

frank john,

During the years when I walked in late autumn /winter I never had any difficulty finding a place to stay but I almost always stayed in non-reservable municipal albergues and only reserved for the last days in Santiago in a pilgrim room at San Martin Pinario. Since I always wore a full backpack I could easily stop whenever/wherever some place was open. The only constraints was the weather and, of course, my strength.
Thank you for your prompt reply. I prefer a private room/bath since I have experienced albergue living on two caminos. I just need to be open to other possibilities.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Frances
Granon
parish albergue San Juan Bautista
door knocker

photo taken October 28, 2010

Granon albergue door knocker.jpg

I have stayed in the parish albergue San Juan Bautista in Granon on the CF 10 times. Upon arrival seeing this door knocker adorned with shell, staff and gourd was always a thrill.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The long walk into Burgos.
I wish I had known about the river route. I'll be cleverer next time.
CF, May 2017

View attachment 145720
Actually, it is the "worst" stretch of the whole Francés maybe ;-) But it is also part of the whole blend of impressions and inspirations.
I really enjoyed seeing the good, the bad and the ugly as it is the blend that makes the Camino whole.

Camino Catalan. Stage 0.
Cap de Creus.
Have you seen a similar plaque? where?
Powerful graphics, striking materials. Few words, yet universally recognizable. The plaque is genius. Here’s a plaque set into the pavement in Bordeaux, which caught me by surprise before heading to SJPP (2012). It is more text-heavy, but the words are very encouraging: Suivons les ! Let us take up our staff !

bordeaux_compostelle.JPG

€46,-
Camino Frances
walking path parallel to P-980
west of Fromista

photo taken March 1, 2007

west of Fromista.JPG

This elegant stately marker topped with a cross is a welcome contrast to the more recent low concrete bollards alining the Camino Frances path parallel to Palencia route P-980 west of Fromista/ east of Villalcazar de Sirga.

Powerful graphics, striking materials. Few words, yet universally recognizable. The plaque is genius. Here’s a plaque set into the pavement in Bordeaux, which caught me by surprise before heading to SJPP (2012). It is more text-heavy, but the words are very encouraging: Suivons les ! Let us take up our staff !

View attachment 145744
I am referring to this symmetrical plate.
Plaque Fisterra.jpg

This second plate is in Fisterra. I'm sure a lot of you have seen it. The photo is not mine.
In memory of the twinning between the easternmost and westernmost points of the Iberian peninsula.

Here is more information.
https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...grafica16-enero-1998/0003_201601C16C11991.htm

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Frances
path towards Sahagun

photo taken November 8, 2011

path towards Sahagun.jpg

Wherever our paths might lead
may we go forward with hope.

"...but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope."
Romans 5: 3-4

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Camino Frances
Villalcazar de Sirga,
Iglesia de Santa María la Blanca
door

photo taken November 6, 2011

Villalcazar de Sirga 06.11.2011.jpg

Unchanging interconnected units form this massive historic door; similarly camino paths are continually composed by innumerable pilgrims walking towards Santiago .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

€46,-
A few photos from Portuguese coastal last week, mixture of sun and rain but warm

Attachments

• 411559AB-4B3D-449A-83AB-F29836A9737A.jpeg
    411559AB-4B3D-449A-83AB-F29836A9737A.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 3BB0CC77-C414-46BB-9A0B-036A9F38979B.jpeg
    3BB0CC77-C414-46BB-9A0B-036A9F38979B.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 7
  • C5B4BFC4-36CA-4E12-9920-A900042AA426.jpeg
    C5B4BFC4-36CA-4E12-9920-A900042AA426.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20B24DAC-AF6D-4B0E-AB65-AC25A582D70E.jpeg
    20B24DAC-AF6D-4B0E-AB65-AC25A582D70E.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 7
  • EA8EBA3F-5006-4F13-8EA5-56C189C54847.jpeg
    EA8EBA3F-5006-4F13-8EA5-56C189C54847.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 9

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back