• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, One Photo at a Time (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On this day 8 years ago, I arrived at these doors in St. Jean Pied de Port, the day before I'd start my first camino. I spent the day exploring the town, having coffee and treats in the bakeries, picking up my Altus poncho from the Boutique du Pelerin, walking the ramparts, visiting the Citadelle and the Pilgrim's Office for the first stamp in my credential. After a lively communal dinner at the Auberge du Pelerin, I attended a concert by a Basque Choir at the Notre Dame du Bout du Pont. One of those full rich "alive" days, everything so new and still detailed in my memory.

st jean.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The city of Soria, by the way, is an absolutely beautiful small city on the Camino Castellano-Aragonés. It is very untouristy but FILLED with romanesque and beautiful plazas, just an amazing city.

An absolutely beautiful city, with a great paseo in the beautiful plazas every evening. This is the tympanum of the church of Santo Domingo, in the centre of town, described as "the Bible in stone". [PS. Machado lived here for several years, but was Andalusian: "esta luz de Sevilla... Es el palacio donde nací, con su rumor de fuente"]

Attachments

• stodomingo.JPG
    stodomingo.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 13
I arrived at these doors in St. Jean Pied de Port
Hi Theatregal, we also arrived at these doors for our first Camino, on 21st, August, 2014.

Camino Frances- 5th, September, 2014 Belorado to Ages. Leaving the Monument to the Fallen and looking across the arroyo Peroja to the Alto before San Juan de Ortega.
5 Sep #8 1027hrs Leaving the Monument to the Fallen and View across the arroyo Peroja towards ...JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Did you leave your little pyramid on CF?
No but I knocked over some. 😁

That view of the way between Villafranca and San Juan amazes me. It's in a parallel universe to this:
(I've posted this before, but it's the only photo I have of this place...as you can imagine, I was not inclined to pull my camera out.)

Attachments

• IMG_7520.JPG
    IMG_7520.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
No but I knocked over some. 😁

That view of the way between Villafranca and San Juan amazes me. It's in a parallel universe to this:
(I've posted this before, but it's the only photo I have of this place...as you can imagine, I was not inclined to pull my camera out.)

Here's mine - feel free to appropriate it as yours!

Attachments

• Fbd49BwQ.jpeg
    Fbd49BwQ.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Almost at Orisson, looking back and not realizing that I'd have to retrace my steps. I had reserved at Orisson but they were overbooked so they gave me a free bocadilla and sent me back a km to Gite Kayola which turned out to be a great place to stay with some wonderful people.

almost there.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Another pic of the rooftop tour at the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela
Me too. It is astonishing up there.
Sabine, I love how the evening light in your photo silhouettes the statue of Santiago in top part of the baroque facade; there's something sweet about that. From below it's all too easy to forget he's there.

Attachments

• 20150413_183302.jpg
    20150413_183302.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
9th May 2015:

Camino Madrid. Just a few kilometers further on from the slopes in my photo above, I spotted this mojon a little way off the path. While I stopped to take this photo Alan (@Alan Pearce) walked on. We had been hearing shooting for a few minutes and had assumed hunters were out and about but as I started walking after Alan, a bullet whizzed over my head. I immediately called out to Alan and he confirmed that he too had heard and felt bullets. Shortly thereafter we spotted what turned out to be a shooting range close to the path and the misdirected firing was coming from it. Needless to say, we passed it by at speed :) and didn't stop to take photos either!!

Camino Marker outside Segovia.jpg

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
OMG, @Madidi.
Just...
:eek:

It was a surreal couple of minutes but probably just wrong place, wrong time: it is possible that the range had warnings up but we didn't see anything from the direction we were walking. I grew up near a military camp and they would have red warning flags flying when there was live firing on the ranges: they might have had something similar around there.

Shooting range

just wrong place, wrong time
Which can be lethal. Seriously.
They may be unaware that the camino is right there. It's worth sending feedback about your experience to the Academia de Artillería de Segovia listed on the map as the owner...and your flag idea is a good one.
Edit - Huh, this is a government organization, not a bunch of yahoos. Theoretically they are acvountable:

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looking back down the valley towards Segura on the Vasco. The view is not especially 'spectacular,' but it felt special and sweet...perhaps because of 'camino happy-mind' and (a big factor) seeing the first sun since beginning the walk.

And a 'housekeeping announcement': as the thread is getting quite cumbersome again, there have been some requests for a 'round 3.' So I will post it tomorrow early morning my time, roughly 00:00 UTC - and if you're in the Americas, you might want to hold off tomorrow until evening or late afternoon, depending on which ocean you are closest to. Til then, here is the place!

Gracias a todos for your wonderful and uplifting photos - I look forward each day to seeing what everyone has posted. 🙏🙏🙏

Attachments

• 20190520_102014.jpg
    20190520_102014.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Anne&Pat submitted a picture showing something spectacular in the Burgos cathedral. I had already planned to submit this more sedate picture for today. It is a huge drawing on a wall of the cathedral as you come in through the tourist entrance.

Does anybody know anything else about it?

drawing-in-cathedral.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back