• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, One Photo at a Time (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Some of us can now think of walking, while others of us are still not yet able to travel, into the forseeable future.
Round one of this thread has kept us sane from day to day, but now takes up too much memory to easily load. So here is round two!

I'll start off with horses (who can't drag me away from at least thinking of the camino).
The Baztan was a camino with lots of horses. We saw these beauties on the last day:IMG_4294 (2).JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Behind me as I took this photo someone had written a word to describe the wonderful view, but I prefer to show the view. According to the legend in the photo, it says: Lena, Asturias, 10th July 2017 @14.01. Camino del Salvador. En route to Bendueños - if my memory serves me correctly.
IMG_1410.jpeg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ok.
I can't resist. Here's someone who said hi on the first very wet day of the Vasco:
Vasco-VdB2019VN (4).jpg

And @alansykes , is Mojón de Roble the name of that ridge?
Edit...Each peak up there has a name, but down below there's a place called Cerrada Robles. Hmmm. Closed Oaks?? The mystery deepens. (I walked up to the point labeled 'El Rodadero' on the attached map; the view was glorious.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200627-175814_OsmAnd.jpg
    Screenshot_20200627-175814_OsmAnd.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Anne&Pat wrote on the earlier thread:
Camino Portuguese- 29th, April, 2016
Walking into Tomar after a long walk from Golega on quite a warm day.
Camino Francés, Alto de Padrón - November 10th, 2019.

This was seen walking to Pamplona on what turned out to be my last day of walking from Barcelona. It was not a warm day.

Screenshot_20200617-091847.png

And @alansykes, is Mojón de Roble the name of that ridge in the middle distance? Or??
I am looking for an enormous oak.

It's the name of the ridge (otherwise the Alto de Mirandilla) which has plenty of big oaks around it. The backdrop for the Sad Hill Cemetery in the Clint Eastwood film (which I'm afraid I've never seen) known locally as El Bueno, el Feo y el Malo. My pic was taken from the Alto de Merendilla [sic] just above the "cemetery" and only a km or so from your Rodadero on the way to Contreras with its excellent Monument to the Mule.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A farmer followed these docile creatures out of the pasture waving his arms and yelling for us to stand away. No one paid much attention to him until his young bull came charging out onto the road kicking and snorting. Then to road cleared muy rapido.2017-04-10 09.09.52.jpg

A farmer followed these docile creatures out of the pasture waving his arms and yelling for us to stand away. No one paid much attention to him until his young bull came charging out onto the road kicking and snorting. Then to road cleared muy rapido.View attachment 77789
I have two things to say - no, three:
one, thanks for the photo.
two, It took a fairly long minute to upload or download whatever you want to say.
three, It reminds me of a joke. I have cut out the bad language...

An inspector calls to a farm...
“I need to inspect your farm for illegally grown drugs”, he said.

“By all means officer, just don’t go in that field over there”, I replied.

The DEA officer exploded, saying “Do you know who I am?! I have the authority of the federal government with me!”, he shouted before pulling a badge out of his back pocket, “Do you see this badge?! This badge means I can do what I want and I’ll go wherever I want, have I made myself clear?!”

I nodded politely, apologized, and went about my chores. A short while later, I hear loud screams, looked up and saw the DEA agent running for his life being chased by my angry rodeo bull. With each step, the bull was gaining ground and he seemed sure to be gored before he reached safety. The officer looked terrified and continued to run for his life.

I threw down my tools, immediately ran to the edge of the fence and shouted at the top of my lungs,

“Your badge, show him your badge!”

[Off topic warning....]
It's the name of the ridge (otherwise the Alto de Mirandilla) which has plenty of big oaks around it. The backdrop for the Sad Hill Cemetery in the Clint Eastwood film (which I'm afraid I've never seen) known locally as El Bueno, el Feo y el Malo. My pic was taken from the Alto de Merendilla [sic] just above the "cemetery" and only a km or so from your Rodadero on the way to Contreras with its excellent Monument to the Mule.
Alan, how do you find out all this stuff? Thank you, my map is obviously pretty clueless.
There was a two-track road leading up there to the best view ever. I almost thought a hot air balloon floating over the valley was a hallucination - it was just too over the top gorgeous.
Then to pass the Sad Hill Cemetery added to the surreal morning. It was just funny. Then I ended up walking much of the way into Contreras with an old guy who was out for his morning walk. He went on at a million miles an hour, and I could not understand 99% of what he was saying. For all I know he might have been an extra in the movie and was telling me his Clint Eastwood stories.
But I missed the monument to the mule?! D**n. That would have made it a trifecta.

(Now I'm a little jazzed. Because I went up there and down to Contreras unintentionally, and thought I'd made a mistake not going directly to Covarrubias. Does the CdE go that way, following the GR?}

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And the occasional donkey. Vasco Interior.

View attachment 77757
These 2 cuties were saying good morning. I think it was on the way to/from
Fromista 20190512_073537.jpg20190512_073537.jpg UOTE="VNwalking, post: 858269, member: 38350"]
Some of us can now think of walking, while others of us are still not yet able to travel, into the forseeable future.
Round one of this thread has kept us sane from day to day, but now takes up too much memory to easily load. So here is round two!

I'll start off with horses (who can't drag me away from at least thinking of the camino).
The Baztan was a camino with lots of horses. We saw these beauties on the last day:View attachment 77754
[/QUOTE]

€60,-
I've been dying to put this photo on...hope no one takes offence!
This is the rear of a statue in Parque de Coto, Negreira - are we are the only ones childish enough to notice :eek:
The 2nd pic is the proper view (via Mr Google)...

2018-05-12 394.jpeg20170329_124937.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I set out on my camino to walk from sea to sea, Barcelona to San Sebastián, with a re-evaluation of the plan in Pamplona. The weather hadn't been good and wasn't getting better so I decided to stop and spend a few days in town. I have a few favorite pictures from there to share. Use this link to find out more about this monument to Ignatius Loyola.

Screenshot_20200617-093026.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looking down into France from the Col d'Ayous (2170m up) on the Col des Moines variant of the Chemin d'Arles. I slept soundly the previous night in a little shepherd's hut (the hut was little, I didn't see the shepherd) just above the tree line at 1600m, lulled to sleep by a babbling brook and some cow bells.

cabane.JPG

Camino del Norte- 21st, May, 2018 Somewhere between Llanes and Ovio, getting back to animal photos! Glad this chap was behind the fence! What a specimen! Before we retired we used to have a small farm with cattle, so we are always interested in any livestock we see along the way.

20180521_101352.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OK, so this isn't the camino but in our garden a few minutes ago...but this made me feel happy :)
We often get our resident woodpecker feeding - but today he seems to have invited his friendsIMG_9427.jpeg

Alan, you've lead us in and out of all sorts of valleys with your images and prose. But that one takes the cake. Gorgeous.
🙏

So, gorgeous vistas, graffiti, and fellow beings along the way...which theme to follow? How about long dead animals? I have a thing about fossils, but I'd never seen a fuente made of ammonites before - so this one to be more than a little astonishing. Cubillo de Cesar, Camino San Olav.

Attachments

• IMG_1353.JPG
    IMG_1353.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 34
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
"It's only a few extra km, darling..."
The day I nearly killed Jenny!
Luckily, she was resuscitated by the accompanying glass of sangria :) ;)

PS...just been looking through all my Camino pics and realised that when I've walked with Jenny there are more pictures of people, and when I walk alone there are more of scenery. I am so lucky to have experienced the Camino in different ways. Plus each journey is a new experience...

2018-05-10 287.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
These are the anatomically named peaks the Tetas de Viana, seen from the window of the albergue in Viana de Mondéjar on the Camino de la Lana (possibly one of the best views from any albergue I've ever stayed in). They are visible from miles around in every direction and there is a local saying, "muchos las ven, pero pocos las maman." In keeping with the one photo a day rule, tomorrow I will post a picture from the top of the left hand one, proving that I am one of the "pocos".

tetas.jpg

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances- 17th, September, 2014 La Virgen Del Camino Church of San Froilan, we turned of just after this to head to Villar de Mazarife. We met Gordy & Tracey from the USA with their 6 year old daughter walking the Camino outside this church. We also stayed in the same Albergue, Tio Pepe that evening and had a very good communal meal.17 Sep #3 0931hrs La Virgen del Camino Church of San FroilanOptio-n just ahead to take the Way...JPG

€60,-
Each peak up there has a name, but down below there's a place called Cerrada Robles. Hmmm. Closed Oaks??
I think the meaning is enclosed oaks or corraled oaks. I looked at a Spanish topo map of the area. I did not see the place name but the area has canyons (I think Cerrada Robles is immediately west of Las Huelgas) and an oak grove in one could be considered closed off from anything else. Also, nearby and close to a cliff, is a Campo de la Cerrada and cliffs close things off.

I'm starting over.

Ignore the strike-out parts above. I'm proposing that the name came from the oaks being shut off by being on a hilltop defined by canyons. See

https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/draw/?bg=ES_IGN_TOPO&z=15&c=41.987933,-3.443176'

At one zoom level (z=14) the name Las Huelgas is shown for a spot and at the next level (z=15) that name is replaced by Cerrada Robles.

BTW, this should center on the nearby Sad Hill Cemetery movie location just below the area marked Arena, a sand pit/quarry.

Coincidentally, nearby that location is a "hanging hill".

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
2015 04 14 1342.jpg
More horses; the young one was interested by those pilgrims who passed near him...
Few kms before Avila, on Levante, April 20142015 04 16 1250.JPG
and two others, two days after, before Arevalo

The view from the top of a Teta de Viana. Trillo, the evening's destination, is visible a long way down, nestling beside the mazy meanderings of the Tajo. A fairly large chunk of Guadalajara province is visible receeding into the distance - I last got a glimpse of the Tetas from over 60km to the north.

In Trillo the albergue is in the local bull ring, one of only three I've slept in. They had a paellador around 4 metres round and 80 cm deep, capable of feeding much of the village on fiesta days.

trillo1.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
This is NOT a horse.
But I was very glad s/he was corralled.IMG_8579 - Copy.JPG
(It's blurry because he or she was going for my eyes; this was not a friendly encounter!)

They had a paellador around 4 metres round and 80 cm deep, capable of feeding much of the village on fiesta days.
It would take a village to cook such a massive amount of food in one place! Do they still use it?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, my store of pictures from the Francés have finally reached Santiago, so instead of posting an obvious picture from the Praza do Obradoiro, I thought it might be more interesting to pick another image instead.

fBzktbfw.jpeg
My first Camino saw me celebrate journey's end over two nights with lots of fellow pilgrims in a number of bars and restaurants, and when I walked the Portugués the following year, something funny happened.

Most of us had walked to Santiago at least once before, so when it came to picking a restaurant, a few ideas were bounced around.

I didn’t quite catch the name of the restaurant we'd finally settled on until we arrived there, only to find that I had been brought to exactly the same restaurant that I’d celebrated with my Francés companions the previous September.

Of all the gin joints in all the world, as the saying goes.

Not only that, we sat in almost exactly the same seats, and they were still giving out Magnums as a dessert as well.

How funny.

Anyone else been there?

In between Negreira and Olveiroa but I forgot where exactly ( again! ).

View attachment 77980

Hi SabineP, we also have nearly the identical photo, taken in June 2018. It is between Olveiroa and Logoso, which is a distance of 3.5kms, where there is a very welcome cafe that we stopped at for a cafe con leche and some breakfast!
Anne & Pat

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, my store of pictures from the Francés have finally reached Santiago, so instead of posting an obvious picture from the Praza do Obradoiro, I thought it might be more interesting to pick another image instead.

View attachment 77994
My first Camino saw me celebrate journey's end over two nights with lots of fellow pilgrims in a number of bars and restaurants, and when I walked the Portugués the following year, something funny happened.

Most of us had walked to Santiago at least once before, so when it came to picking a restaurant, a few ideas were bounced around.

I didn’t quite catch the name of the restaurant we'd finally settled on until we arrived there, only to find that I had been brought to exactly the same restaurant that I’d celebrated with my Francés companions the previous September.

Of all the gin joints in all the world, as the saying goes.

Not only that, we sat in almost exactly the same seats, and they were still giving out Magnums as a dessert as well.

How funny.

Anyone else been there?
Yes. At the end of the Portugues, with the group we walked along with every day, including a young couple who had survived on €8.50 each for food per day - so they could splurge in Santiago, and Casa Manolo it was!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Sierra de Gata from just before Ciudad Rodrigo on the Camino Torres late in November. It was not a hugely crowded camino - in the albergue of Alba de Yeltes the previous night I had been the 21st person to stay there that year.

Attachments

• gata.jpg
    gata.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

€149,-

€149,-

€149,-
Before I continue on with pictures from our 2015 Camino Frances I'm going to jump back to the start of my 2019 camino. I started out in the morning passing by Sant Pau del Camp, meeting @Camino Chrissy for breakfast (Hi, Chris.), touching the Mediterranean and a few of the other churches in Barcelona. I had already spent a bit of time in the area beforehand though. Since my first day was a long one I didn't spend much time photographing the churches I already visited. But, for you, I'm going to submit some pictures of those churches that I photographed pre-camino. I start with Sagrada Familia.

cropped-blue-sagrada-windows.jpg

The windows on the east side of the church are in the cool colors and those on the west side are in the warm colors.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
These pictures are from 2003. My husband and I walked from Leon to Santiago. In Santiago we celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary on this date, July 6th. We treated ourselves with a stay on the Parador. In our room we got a big surprise - flowers and wine from our children back home. My husband died 5 years ago so there is no celebration today, but it is a very good memory🙂C6BDF91B-D436-40C9-9E98-9B295EABB871.jpeg65FAEE8A-0AD5-4AA9-8284-2882E1F6BDF1.jpeg

These pictures are from 2003. My husband and I walked from Leon to Santiago. In Santiago we celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary on this date, July 6th. We treated ourselves with a stay on the Parador. In our room we got a big surprise - flowers and wine from our children back home. My husband died 5 years ago so there is no celebration today, but it is a very good memory🙂View attachment 78334View attachment 78335
Thank you for your words. 🙏

These pictures are from 2003. My husband and I walked from Leon to Santiago. In Santiago we celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary on this date, July 6th. We treated ourselves with a stay on the Parador. In our room we got a big surprise - flowers and wine from our children back home. My husband died 5 years ago so there is no celebration today, but it is a very good memory🙂View attachment 78334View attachment 78335
So sorry for your loss, but so happy for your memory.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Does the road wind up-hill all the way?
Yes, to the very end.
Will the day’s journey take the whole long day?
From morn to night, my friend.

But is there for the night a resting-place?
A roof for when the slow dark hours begin.
May not the darkness hide it from my face?
You cannot miss that inn.

Shall I meet other wayfarers at night?
Those who have gone before.
Then must I knock, or call when just in sight?
They will not keep you standing at that door.

Shall I find comfort, travel-sore and weak?
Of labour you shall find the sum.
Will there be beds for me and all who seek?
Yea, beds for all who come.

Between Tarazona and Ágreda on the Camino Castellano-Aragonés.

up.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back