• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, One Photo at a Time (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I confess to not remembering, but I will ask my friend. She might remember. I remember that the road was very quiet, if there was one vehicle while we walked along that was it. The heading I put on the photo at the time was “18km straight on”. Your sleuth skills are highly polished!
Is this the place kirkie? The current Google maps street view Outside El Burgo Ranero
I just checked with my friend, and yes, she Agrees, and thinks it is between Mansilla de las Mulas and Bercianos. We saw them again on our way from Santiago back to Bilbao, a long train journey to help slow down the return to ‘normal’ life! On Gareth’s thread, walking now, the growth is luxuriant!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is it because you usually walk the camino in Spain's fall season?
My preference is to walk during late Spring through Summer so that I get to enjoy two Summers rather than during the European Autumn when I prefer to be back home, tending my garden during the NZ Spring.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Happy memories of Ponte de Lima on my first ever camino in 2011.
P1090214.JPG

O I would go
How gladly I would go
Were feet and limbs not aching with old age.

O I would go
Relive those times now past
When walking on the old, well trodden paths
Gave me such joy

O I would go
Meet up again with fellow travelers
Enjoy their company – their love – whilst on the road
Leading me onward to that golden shrine
Of Santiago.

O I would go
To walk again those quiet ways
Beside the rivers, over Roman paths
Under the welcome sun of northern Spain
To Santiago.

O I would go
But now the years have come
When pain prevents the onward path
To Santiago.

Yet even now, I bless those travelers
Still in their young or middle years
Who walk the paths pre-trodden by a million feet
To Santiago.

© Stephen Nicholls

This stretch of straight road walking after Villar de Mazarife is awful on a hot afternoon, but quite lovely on an April morning at dawn, with the snow-capped mountains to be crossed day after tomorrow getting larger on the horizon.

Attachments

• IMG_7984.JPG
    IMG_7984.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
11th October 2017:

Camino Frances. Iglesia Parroquial in Villar de Mazarife on the way between leon and Hospital de Orbigo. Amazing construction techniques with what appears to be a mixture of plaster embedded stones and small bricks. Not a great photo when you consider there was a plaza just to my right :oops: and I am sure someone has a better one. :)

Iglesia Parroquial in Villar de Mazarife.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
11th October 2017:

Camino Frances. Iglesia Parroquial in Villar de Mazarife on the way between leon and Hospital de Orbigo. Amazing construction techniques with what appears to be a mixture of plaster embedded stones and small bricks. Not a great photo when you consider there was a plaza just to my right :oops: and I am sure someone has a better one. :)

View attachment 81893
17th, September, 2014
Hi Madidi, just another one, not a better one. ;)
17 Sep #14 1715hrs Villar de Mazarife Church of Santiago with three stork nests.JPG

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Looking towards Iglesa San Blas, on the outskirts of Columbrianos.
This place is memorable to me because of the stork nest platform kindly provided in the corner of the church carpark. Checking Google's streetview shows it's still popular - there's a pair of storks in the photo. ☺

Attachments

• IMG_8180.JPG
    IMG_8180.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 20200829_134124.jpg
    20200829_134124.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 20
This stretch of straight road walking after Villar de Mazarife is awful on a hot afternoon, but quite lovely on an April morning at dawn, with the snow-capped mountains to be crossed day after tomorrow getting larger on the horizon.
I love seeing far off mountains or villages on a hill top in the distance and know my own two feet will get me there eventually...very satisfying.

Hello all - back again after a two-week road trip around Iceland, so back on duty with more pics from my Portugués in the spring of 2019.

Here's a cheerful welcome to the outskirts of Pontevedra.

There was a mention of a "walking somewhere else" thread - I've got a lot from my hikes in Iceland to contribute to that! What's the title?

Attachments

• 2019-05-05 10.00.53.jpg
    2019-05-05 10.00.53.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
We've also gotten back; for us from camping and hiking in the mountains. Back on the forum I picked this thread with its lovely photographs to be the first to catch up on.

This 2015 photo was taken somewhere not very far beyond Trabedelo. The House of Rosaries had its door right on the Camino Francés.

house-of-rosaries.jpg

I've got a lot from my hikes in Iceland to contribute to that!
Oh, good!
Look forward to seeing them.

I love seeing far off mountains or villages on a hill top in the distance and know my own two feet will get me there eventually...very satisfying.
Yes, isn't it amazing?
Looking back is fun too.
I had an epiphany on my first time over the Alto de Perdon. Looking ahead I thought, "Wow, I'm going further than I can see." Then I looked back towards Pamplona and the penny dropped. Already, just 3 days in, I'd come from farther away than I could see. It was such a confidence-building 'Woaaahhh' moment.

Oh, good!
Look forward to seeing them.

Yes, isn't it amazing?
Looking back is fun too.
I had an epiphany on my first time over the Alto de Perdon. Looking ahead I thought, "Wow, I'm going further than I can see." Then I looked back towards Pamplona and the penny dropped. Already, just 3 days in, I'd come from farther away than I could see. It was such a confidence-building 'Woaaahhh' moment.
I actually had the exact same epiphany as you did on my first Camino as I turned around and saw Pamplona sprawled out in the distance...quite overwhelming in a pleasin way. It makes me smile even now as I think about it.

The little shepherd's hut in the Pyrenees this shepherd slept in on the chemin d'Arles last October. I've had more comfortable beds but, lulled to sleep by cow bells and the gurgling of the nearby stream, with possibly the brightest stars of my life, I doubt I've ever slept better.

Attachments

• DSC_0296.jpg
    DSC_0296.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Three pictures today because it's storytime. The first two pictures were taken in the evening in Negreira on the way to Finisterra. A Spanish pilgrim is sketching a monument unto his souvenir T-shirt. Five and a half days later, getting breakfast at a bar in Muxia before taking a bus to take us away from the Camino, we see a T-shirt hanging up in the back. It looks like one of the pilgrim's from five years previously.

monument-01.jpeg
shirt-1.jpg
shirt-2.jpg

BTW, the T-shirt was my next to last picture taken on the Camino (sunrise over the harbor was the last). And I did a bit of arithmetic and found that I took 450 pictures between the two submitted today.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After an excellent breakfast, copying what two Andaluz pilgrims ordered - minus the spirits they washed it all down with - we set off, to be overtaken by them, fairly skipping down, talking at the tops of their voices and smoking away goodo. What a descent!

r002-003.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's something, alright.
That's a lovely photo of Acebo, @kirkie .
I love that view, too. It was shortly after leaving O'Cebreiro when the orange clay roofs were replaced by charcoal gray flagstone tiles. I saw a big flagstone quarry in the distance upon leaving O'C.
Builders usually try to use what materials are available in their own areas when possible, saving time and money.

Last edited:
The Ribeira da Certagem - a stream that runs for about 5km from Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport at Porto, draining into the sea at Fontáo Beach near the fisherman beach at Angeiras. It was so striking to see this lush vibrant foliage along the stream cutting through the sandy beach.

certagem stream.jpg

I slipped on the loose rocks and fell right about where you took the photo.

13th October 2017:

Camino Frances. Talking about slipping.....how would you fancy trying to walk down here in wet or frosty conditions :oops: Below Riego de Ambrós on the way to Molinaseca on a fab sunny morning 😊

The path above Molinaseca Oct 2017.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino Frances- 31st, August, 2014 Los Arcos to Viana. Ruins of Iglesia San Pedro, Viana, just beside our Albergue Andres Munoz, where we slept in three tier bunk beds!
View attachment 82063

Oh yes, I've slept in those twice and disliked them intensely! But have never forgotten watching a falconer flying his bird from the ramparts nearby. Amazing to see it swooping and gliding high over the plains below, and then returning to land on the falconer's hand.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One of those things that creates a flurry of questions, mostly along the lines of 'What were they thinking?'
This has to be the ugliest religious structure in Spain, and it wouldn't have been cheap to build. Capella San Olav, near Covarrubias, on the Camino San Olav. (To be fair, because it was locked, I don't know what the inside looks like - for all I know it's gorgeous.)
Over that hill and a few kilometers along is Santa Maria de Lara, on the other end of the beauty spectrum.

Attachments

• IMG_1314.JPG
    IMG_1314.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
One of those things that creates a flurry of questions, mostly along the lines of 'What were they thinking?'
This has to be the ugliest religious structure in Spain, and it wouldn't have been cheap to build. Capella San Olav, near Covarrubias, on the Camino San Olav. (To be fair, because it was locked, I don't know what the inside looks like - for all I know it's gorgeous.)
Over that hill and a few kilometers along is Santa Maria de Lara, on the other end of the beauty spectrum.
Are you sure that's not a parking garage for road repair vehicles? We could use it here in Canada to park snow plows in the winter.

€83,-
If you ignore the arrow and take the next right you can detour to visit the lovely lonely visigothic church of Santa Lucía del Trampal.

And as someone who is in Alan’s debt for his wonderful suggestion (and GPS tracks), I’ll post a glimpse of what awaits you if you take that detour.

Attachments

• AD3152FB-6C68-46E9-A086-7530CB614BB0.jpeg
    AD3152FB-6C68-46E9-A086-7530CB614BB0.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 21
Exquisite.
That kind of makes up for me posting the photo of the snow plow garage. 😁

Anyone who thinks civilization is getting more and more advanced needs to look at these two pictures side by side. And edit: I wonder what the snow plow garage will look like in a thousand years. I bet it won't look anything near as good as that.

Last edited:
16th May 2015:

Camino Madrid. My Aussie pal Alan approaching Lock no.7 on the Canal de Castilla at Ramal de Campos: a beautiful early morning walk here from Medina de Rioseco on the towpath alongside the canal. The huge building ahead was a flour mill which has fallen into disrepair.

Canal de castilla End 16 May 2015.jpg

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Carrocera cascade, shortly before entering the Desfiladero de Los Calderones, on the Olvidado.
Might as well be a tag team with Alan again today. This is a shot of the Desfiladero itself, with my pal Alun standing in front to give you a sense of its majesty.

Attachments

• F56EACCB-F4FE-4798-837F-10EF2A8E1DCA.jpeg
    F56EACCB-F4FE-4798-837F-10EF2A8E1DCA.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On Corpus Christi Sunday at Carrión de Condes the townspeople decorate the street that the Camino Francés follows with plant materials. Even the sisters from the parroquial albergue.

carrion-nuns.jpg

We left in the morning but if you want to see what things look like at the end of the day click
this link.

What's this - a smelter of some sort? (We didn"t know.)
Near Elizondo on the Baztan.
Around Gaucin in southern Spain (where they have the white villages) there are lime/whitewash smelters that are somewhat similar, and in Death Valley, CA, there are similar ones that were used for making charcoal. No idea if either of these is correct, but human ingenuity is ubiquitous and tends to replicate widely. FWIW

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The statue is of the poet and dramatist Ramón Valle-Inclán. You can also find him sitting on his favourite Alameda Park bench in Santiago.
Ah. So that's what that is, and who that is.
Thank you, @Covidyard Bob and @Theatregal. Mysteries at least partly solved.

(Those glasses ... 😊)

Since people are posting pictures of statues, I thought I’d post this one of Antonio Machado. He was from Soria, which is on the Camino Castellano-Aragonés, a spectacular camino from Zaragoza to Burgos. The city of Soria, by the way, is an absolutely beautiful small city on the Camino Castellano-Aragonés. It is very untouristy but FILLED with romanesque and beautiful plazas, just an amazing city.

Machado is the author of the familiar and very beautiful poem that resonates with people on the camino —

Caminante, son tus huellas el camino, y nada más; caminante, no hay camino: se hace camino al andar. Al andar se hace camino, y al volver la vista atrás se ve la senda que nunca se ha de volver a pisar. Caminante, no hay camino, sino estelas en la mar.

Not a great translation: (but I don’t fault the translator, this is a very hard verse to translate)
Traveler, your footprints
are the only road, nothing else.
Traveler, there is no road;
you make your own path as you walk.
As you walk, you make your own road,
and when you look back
you see the path
you will never travel again.
Traveler, there is no road;
only a ship's wake on the sea.

Attachments

• 573A5E03-C83A-49F6-A242-522AFB37DA73.jpeg
    573A5E03-C83A-49F6-A242-522AFB37DA73.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21

€83,-
A have a few bird pictures from the CF. This is my favorite. This little guy knocked himself out flying into a sliding glass door at an albergue. It took him about fifteen minutes to recover. This is shortly before he thought that he was being eyed as lunch and flew away.

injured-bird.jpg

Last edited:
.................... Knossos ...................................................... Santiago .......................................................Chip
1599220121455.png 1599220141241.png 1599220162851.png
................. 7000 BC ..........................................................1833 ................................................................ 2019

Winter's gone my wings are done and I'm ready to fly.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
2nd September 2016:

Camino Primitivo. One of the paths on the way down to the Embalse de Salime. Sadly a large part of this beautiful forest was destroyed by fire in 2017.

Path above Embalse de Salime.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back