• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, One Photo at a Time (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This one is from.....
...Zabaldika (right??)!

I'm torn between posting something that reminds me of people - I seem to have quite of few like this
[...]or just something beautiful, like this
Both! You could alternate one day to the next...

Editing to add...wow, what a place to rest! Lounging in the lavender - I can almost smell it. All in pink. It wins the thread today, at least in the human interest category...;)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
15th October 2017:

Camino Frances. In the Igrexa de Santa María A Real do Cebreiro. A selection of the large range of gospels reflecting the varied languages of the pilgrims. This small group included one in braille and nearby I saw one in Cherokee. An amazing little church.

Igrexa de Santa María A Real do Cebreiro.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
More fortress than church on the outside.
It doesn't look like much on the outside, but if I had known what the inside looks like I'd have definitely found a way to visit!

(Photo from the website linked to above - do click on that image to see it full-size. It's amazing.)

Attachments

• 1597829199300.png
    1597829199300.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 20
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have to be honest and say I forget, but I think this is one of our photos. In 2006, we had a system of taking photos and getting them saved onto disc... and then I kind of lost the originals, but a rediscovered thumb drive showed up. If this belongs to someone else, which is possible, sorry! The reason it was taken? It was just a voice. someone began it. The sound swelled with the addition of more and more. It was in and around Najera. That was a joy, Najera!
8BBE0D5A-F2DC-4D77-A1EC-481F6EA2B5E2.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And mine was taken just a couple of weeks after yours, @Madidi :) Sept. 21, 2012. Wonder if that little tree has continued to thrive?
On the latest Google maps, there are still a few of those small trees alongside the piles of stones: I think the maps are fairly recent, so they must still be there :)👍

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After the communal dinner at the albergue in Miño on the Ingles, the hospitalera Estelle spread photo cards across the table and asked each of us to choose a card that reflected something for us that day and then to share what drew us to the particular card. It was a wonderful enjoyable evening there. This was my card.

Mino .jpgMino card.jpg

The little 13th century chapel of San Bartolomé de Ucero stands at the entrance to the Cañón del río Lobos near the Camino Castellano-Aragonés in Soria province. It faces north east, apparently because Santiago dropped his sword here when his horse jumped across the canyon, and they built the church in the direction the sword was facing. It was probably built by the Templars, and the exterior has many of their symbols - a circle of five hearts forming a pentagram, bees, vine leaves etc. It is allegedly exactly half way between Finisterra and the Cap de Creus in Catalonia. Whatever the Templar associations, it's a lovely little chapel on the cusp between late Romanesque and early Gothic, in an utterly spectacular canyon.

Attachments

• lobos.JPG
    lobos.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 20
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
First day walking the Camino Frances, 23rd June, 2006. Set off from Roncesvalles just after 7am. This photo was taken after the breakfast of a just made tortilla with fresh bread and cafe con leche. Was it Espinal? It got very warm. Stopped for the day in Larrasoaña. Chauffeur/hospitalero/father of my walking companion was waiting to take us back to Pamplona, and return us to the same spot the following morning. That happened for three nights, and then from Puente la Reina we went on without going back to Pamplona in the afternoons.

FE59251F-D9BD-420F-AB7D-6952CD0F0FDB.png

On the 21st, August, 2014, 6 years ago today, we arrived in Bayonne to take the train/bus to St Jean Pied de Port, to start walking our first Camino Frances! We are going to relive that camino over the coming days one photo at a time, if you don't mind!? We should have been walking it again this year May/July. Hopefully next year. :)
21 Aug #6 1045hrs Railcar Bayonne _ St Jean.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On the second day of the Invierno, I intentionally had most of the day to poke around in thee Roman mines of Las Medulas; in the afternoon I visited the lakes about a km away from the village that formed in areas where the rocks had been washed to separate the ore. Drainage patterns had been changed by the accumulation of tailings, and lakes formed in the depressions. Now they are well known for their flora and fauna.
Here is Laguna Largo in the middle distance, with mines of Las Medulas in the background.

if you don't mind!?
That's exactly the kind of thing this thread is for. I look forward to seeing your photos, @Anne&Pat !

Attachments

• 20190604_183556.jpg
    20190604_183556.jpg
    832.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200821-141756~2.png
    Screenshot_20200821-141756~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20200821-141528~2.png
    Screenshot_20200821-141528~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20200821-141152~2.png
    Screenshot_20200821-141152~2.png
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 13
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Autumn comes to the chesnuts of As Médulas, on the Invierno.
I wondered what that would look like. Thanks, Alan...glorious!

Following the misty and mysterious theme...
Morning on the Frances a little after Ribadiso.
I will have to string these along over a few days as I had a hard time choosing and can only post one!

Attachments

• IMG_8778.JPG
    IMG_8778.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kirkie, could that possibly be Venta Celta?
I can’t say, but I do know it was on the left, down a little bit from the church, and before heading out over on the right, past the albergue. If this is the same bar, then yes, because I found this and cropped it, from the Venta Celta website. Oh, my goodness. The cheese and honey set us up for the next stage of the day’s walk!
D1D266D8-FA87-438E-AD40-2FD67209F4D2.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
but I do know it was on the left, down a little bit from the church, and before heading out over on the right, past the albergue.

Yes, I do believe it is the Venta Celta. I stayed here on my very first camino in 2000 — they have some private rooms in addition to the restaurant. At that time the place was owned and run by a young woman from Bilbao, who had fallen in love with the camino and had opened this place. At that time, as others might remember, there was only one set meal for dinner. Ensalada mixta, caldo gallego, and tortilla española. Dessert was — queso do Cebreiro con miel :)

When i was back there in 2015 or 16, just passing through for a coffee, the owner was still there, no longer enamored of the camino but she had expanded her business to include a small grocery across the street in an old hórreo. You had to take some steps down from the road to get to it, I don’t think it was very visible from the street in fact. The restaurant had changed dramatically — now offering a full menu of all sorts of things to meet the increasing demands of the pilgrim traffic. I know that souring on camino businesses happens frequently as the realities set in, but I kind of wish I hadn’t gone back, so that I could remember the whole enterprise in its romantic bubble.

Yes, I do believe it is the Venta Celta. I stayed here on my very first camino in 2000 — they have some private rooms in addition to the restaurant. At that time the place was owned and run by a young woman from Bilbao, who had fallen in love with the camino and had opened this place. At that time, as others might remember, there was only one set meal for dinner. Ensalada mixta, caldo gallego, and tortilla española. Dessert was — queso do Cebreiro con miel :)

When i was back there in 2015 or 16, just passing through for a coffee, the owner was still there, no longer enamored of the camino but she had expanded her business to include a small grocery across the street in an old hórreo. You had to take some steps down from the road to get to it, I don’t think it was very visible from the street in fact. The restaurant had changed dramatically — now offering a full menu of all sorts of things to meet the increasing demands of the pilgrim traffic. I know that souring on camino businesses happens frequently as the realities set in, but I kind of wish I hadn’t gone back, so that I could remember the whole enterprise in its romantic bubble.
I understand, and I am sorry that your return experience was disappointing. I wish I had known the young lady was from Bilbao. That is where I learned my Spanish! I was lucky to be able to attend a second chance learning school, with other native people living in the barrio, and so did not have to go through learning how to order a meal! It really was immersion learning. Anyway, if my photo brought back your initial experience, I am happy.

San Pedro de Caracena on the Lana, Soria province. The twisted column and capitals are by the same sculptor who worked on the cloister at Santo Domingo de Silos (three days further on).

Attachments

• sanpedrodec.jpg
    sanpedrodec.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 17
13 Sept 2012:

Camino Frances. One of the iconic pallozas at O'Cebreiro. A similar photo of this particular one on the old 'Google Earth' website was my introduction to the Camino de Santiago. I asked the guy who posted the photo about the structure and he mentioned the camino, I asked what the 'camino' was, he explained it..........and here I am, seven caminos of my own later :) 👍

palloza at  O'Cebreiro.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What an exciting thrill for me to see these sheep being herded through the village of Viskarret on my first Camino in April 2015. They ran right past Corazon Puro, the guest house where we had spent our first night.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200822-202205~2.png
    Screenshot_20200822-202205~2.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
Camino Frances- 23rd, August, 2014 Day 2 We have reached Navarre, Spain! We had beautiful weather for this walk to Roncesvalles. After we arrived at Orrison, the day before, we had thunder, lightning and a massive downpour, luckily we stayed the night in Orrison and met many people who became camino friends and a few have since visited us in Australia!
23 Aug #14 1044hrs Navarre.JPG

Last edited:

€149,-
9th May 2014:

Camino Ingles. Strange cross atop a pig (I think) near the shoreside at Mino. I am sure there is a story to it :confused:

:) An image from one of my camino photos that I researched lately! It's a monument dedicated to Fernán Pérez de Andrade, a cross on the back of a wild boar or wild pig, symbol of Andrade's house.

The cruz del niño muerto (or of San Juan) on the Vía de la Plata north of Mérida. In memory of an unfortunate shepherd boy chomped by a wolf one midsummer's day. If you ignore the arrow and take the next right you can detour to visit the lovely lonely visigothic church of Santa Lucía del Trampal.

Attachments

• IMG_20171112_112738-1.jpg
    IMG_20171112_112738-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wondered what that would look like. Thanks, Alan...glorious!

Following the misty and mysterious theme...
Morning on the Frances a little after Ribadiso.
I will have to string these along over a few days as I had a hard time choosing and can only post one!
Agree ,there is something mystical and spiritual about a misty morning and a stormy evening (this near O Cabo)

Attachments

• iPhone Photos 2018 163.JPG
    iPhone Photos 2018 163.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
11th May 2015:

Camino Madrid. Heavily tapped black pine tree in the forests on the way to Coca. A huge enterprise when you consider every tree as far as the eye can see is being tapped. One of the side effects is that the forest paths are churned to a very soft sandy texture by the heavy tractor traffic removing the barrels of resin, making walking conditions difficult underfoot 😅

Resin Tapping (2).jpg

Last edited:
Harvesting apples for cider on the Vasco del Interior. When enjoying the local cider in Astigarraga that evening, my daughter described it as "Tastes like the real thing - made from apples that were scraped off the ground with a bulldozer, dumped into the back of a truck, and fermented. But in a good way!" 😁 We laughed joyfully and drank up!

Attachments

• 20191008_090348.jpg
    20191008_090348.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How are these trees now? Photo taken 2006
Anyone have more recent photos?

Looking back towards the mountains and the snow we had walked through the day before. Somewhere between Burguete and Zubiri, early March 2015.

Attachments

• IMG_7286.JPG
    IMG_7286.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
11 May 2015:

Camino Madrid. Heading into another beautiful forest on the way to Coca. You can see the soft sandy tracks created by the vehicles used to transport the resin tapped from the pines.

Forest near coca.jpg

Is this the place kirkie? The current Google maps street view Outside El Burgo Ranero
I confess to not remembering, but I will ask my friend. She might remember. I remember that the road was very quiet, if there was one vehicle while we walked along that was it. The heading I put on the photo at the time was “18km straight on”. Your sleuth skills are highly polished!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
View from Alto del Perdon, looking to Uterga, Muruzabal, Obanos and Puente La Reina in the distance.
I love that moment of coming to the top of the alto, when a whole new landscape opens up, and the old one disappears for good.

I tend to stop and look back at times like that - and a lot, actually.
The view back of Sansol from the western edge of Torres del Rio on a gray day, admiring the almond trees in full bloom.

Attachments

• IMG_7401 (2).JPG
    IMG_7401 (2).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
02 September 2012;

Camino Frances. We stopped in Santo Domingo de la Calzada and were directed to an albergue in the Abadia Cisterciense by staff from the cathedral. The nun who booked us in was fearsome (well she scared me anyway) 😊 so we headed into the town for food and a beer. We came across Cerveceria Titanic on Calle San Roque: ironic, as I lived close to where it was built and also because I don't think you could find a more remotely unrelated location for a bar named after such an iconic ship. The 'canas' were good in any case and the albergue was first class too :)👍

Titanic Bar Santo Domingo.jpg

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

€46,-
Not so delightful if you come from NZ ☹
Haha, yeah - that was my thought at the time. Erased! :eek:

Today it is a favorite stork photo. He or she was skulking along the edge of the roof of the church in Boadilla, clearly hunting, peering carefully under the rooftiles for hiding prey while walking along, with a little difficulty - I caught a moment of loss of balance.

Attachments

• IMG_1498.JPG
    IMG_1498.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back