• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One hour, Madrid airport.

Theresa Brandon

Artist, photographer, dreamer
Time of past OR future Camino
Inglés '18, Ingles '19, Ingles '22, Portugues '22
I always book the early morning flight from Santiago to Madrid so I've got several hours before a flight home to Chicago. That early flight was cancelled and now I have just an hour to make the connection. Is this feasible?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I always book the early morning flight from Santiago to Madrid so I've got several hours before a flight home to Chicago. That early flight was cancelled and now I have just an hour to make the connection. Is this feasible?
Do you have a connecting flight? Are you flying into the same terminal on the same airline?

This is all on one ticket through Iberia. Santiago to Madrid, connecting flight to Chicago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is all on one ticket through Iberia. Santiago to Madrid, connecting flight to Chicago.
Then no problem. Iberia is obliged to get you to Chicago from Santiago.

If the flight to Chicago does not wait for the flight from Santiago (unlikely), then you will be put on the next flight to Chicago (which may be the next day . . . ).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If it’s on one ticket it’s not your problem - other than the potential time you might spend cooling your heels in Barajas.

Best to check that your luggage is checked through to your final destination when you check in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then no problem. Iberia is obliged to get you to Chicago from Santiago.

If the flight to Chicago does not wait for the flight from Santiago (unlikely), then you will be put on the next flight to Chicago (which may be the next day . . . ).
And Iberia would be responsible for putting you up!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If the lineup is terminallly long, zap over to the Reina Sophia as Picasso's Guernica needs to be seen in place, or to the Museo de Artes Decorativos. There's no shortage of things to do and see in Madrid.
I've been to the Reina Sophia (and loved it). I did not get to spend enough time at the Prado the last time I was in Madrid.

The Prado advertises that you can visit for free after a certain time.

I don't recommend you do this. I have been to the Prado 2 times and went this time during the free admission. After waiting a long time, I was told all the free tickets were sold- a stretch. I ended up buying a ticket and it was half of the regular admission. I thought it was a deceptive practice and later complained once I got home; on holidays you need to pick the hill you are willing to die on!! I suggest you go during regular hours and get a ticket. The Prado is a wonderful museum and I was surprised that they used deceptive practices. A world class museum does not need to have free times by the way.

They were not interested in my complaint.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Back to the OP's question: it is feasible. I've flown into MAD Barajas from SdeC SCQ (via Iberia) with just one hour to make my connection to Chicago ORD -- and I've made that connection successfully. Twice, over the years. But the experience was stressful each time and I really hope that I won't ever have to do it again. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back to the OP's question: it is feasible. I've flown into MAD Barajas from SdeC SCQ (via Iberia) with just one hour to make my connection to Chicago ORD -- and I've made that connection successfully. Twice, over the years. But the experience was stressful each time and I really hope that I won't ever have to do it again. Good luck!
Thank you!

Thank you!
I'm returning to Spain in May to walk the Ingles. And, looking over all the American/Iberia current airfare offerings, I may get stuck again with just one uneasy hour to make my returning MAD-ORD connection! Don't like that at all!

Back in 2017, (I think it was), my flight from SCQ arrived at MAD late and I ended up nervously sprinting through MAD to catch the inter-terminal underground train. Full backpack and all! I made it, but you better believe that I got some very suspicious looks from airport security.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dreamer: I'm returning to Spain in May to walk the Ingles. And, looking over all the American/Iberia current airfare offerings, I may get stuck again with just one uneasy hour to make my returning MAD-ORD connection! Don't like that at all!

Back in 2017, (I think it was), my flight from SCQ arrived at MAD late and I ended up nervously sprinting through MAD to catch the inter-terminal underground train. Full backpack and all! I made it, but you better believe that I got some very suspicious looks from airport security.
(Our Iberia flight from Santiago to Madrid in June was unbelievably costly! The morning flight at 9:15am, the only one which we could take to make our next flight at 12:15 to Boston )was $197...the same flight leaving Santiago to Madrid at 1:00 was $24 !!!!! I even called Iberia to check if this was an error.
Did you encounter this same price discrepancy ?

(Our Iberia flight from Santiago to Madrid in June was unbelievably costly! The morning flight at 9:15am, the only one which we could take to make our next flight at 12:15 to Boston )was $197...the same flight leaving Santiago to Madrid at 1:00 was $24 !!!!! I even called Iberia to check if this was an error.
I don't remember, I booked it months ago with a voucher.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had to get a last minute flight from Santiago to Madrid in September and the price was over $300. The prices change frequently and vary enormously. I assume they have their algorithms that set the prices — ah the beauty of supply and demand!

I’m glad you made the connection, @KJFSophie! You are less risk averse than I am, I would never book that connection unless it was all on one ticket.

I had to get a last minute flight from Santiago to Madrid in September and the price was over $300. The prices change frequently and vary enormously. I assume they have their algorithms that set the prices — ah the beauty of supply and demand!

I’m glad you made the connection, @KJFSophie! You are less risk averse than I am, I would never book that connection unless it was all on one ticket.
The rest of the flight costs from Boston to Porto via Madrid, then home from Madrid to Santiago were $620.00 USD roundtrip, booked in December. It was impossible to het any round trip or multi city combinations that included Santiago at that time...Indeed they know there's a market of pilgrims that need to get home...lol

Looks like that early morning flight is still cancelled! Major bummer!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How would mandatory rebooking work if I do miss the flight to Chicago? Would it only be flights offered by Iberia?

How would mandatory rebooking work if I do miss the flight to Chicago? Would it only be flights offered by Iberia?

No they would book you on any partner airline too. So that would be American and British Airways. I’ve missed a flight or two to chicago from Madrid, and it’s been easy to rebook me through London.

If you’re really sweet and get lucky with the person you deal with in the airport, they can also book you on a non-partner airline. But that costs them more, so they prefer not to do it. I don’t know if they are obliged to do it but I once did get re-booked on Delta through Atlanta and then on to Chicago.

That is the good feature of booking all the way through with one airline; they are obligated to get you to your destination. Buen camino!
Or on one continuous ticket - regardless of them being with one or more airlines, which is where good old-fashioned travel agents have an advantage over the online-booking of separate flights.

I decided that making a simple change to my tickets, by flying from Santiago to Madrid the day before (a 37 Euro flight) would eliminate the stressful layover. Through 3 hours (and lots of hold music), three different customer service representatives at Iberia - the first told me the change was impossible, the second managed to rebook both legs of my return flight to the wrong days and then hung up on me when I politely pointed it out (!). (I had to pay a change fee for that, which would have been fine if the booking had been correct). The third representative tried to bill me $1500 for changing the flights again, but I was emphatic that I shouldn't have to pay for something that wasn't my fault. I "think" the current booking is now correct but after looking it over once I shut my computer down for the day and will look at it again tomorrow. (I did try changing the booking myself online but was only given one option, which wasn't feasible). I know this is a 1st World problem.... Thanks for letting me vent here.

Last edited:
You have accomplished a feat that many have tried but most have failed. If I understand correctly, you have:

1. Managed to speak at a person on the Iberia Customer Service line.
2. Get your flights rebooked (even though it was done for the wrong dates).
3. Convince an agent that the mistake was not your fault.

@Theresa Brandon, there is no challenge that the camino can throw you that will test your mettle more than this!

¡Enhorabuena!

You have accomplished a feat that many have tried but most have failed. If I understand correctly, you have:

1. Managed to speak at a person on the Iberia Customer Service line.
2. Get your flights rebooked (even though it was done for the wrong dates).
3. Convince an agent that the mistake was not your fault.

@Theresa Brandon, there is no challenge that the camino can throw you that will test your mettle more than this!

¡Enhorabuena!
Wow, thank you! I did put on my "teacher voice" at one point. Effective but has to be used sparingly. ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back