• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Only 'change' (no pun intended) for next Camino...

Brian E

Time of past OR future Camino
May/ 2018
May 2019
Sept 2019
So I felt I brought the basics/usual stuff and got by fine on Camino #1. You really just don't need much. The one thing I will get for next year though is a man purse. Well, let's call it a wallet with a zipper instead to keep my masculinity intact. I didn't realize the amount of coins I would end up with each day and just used my old school wallet and threw the coins in there. So numerous times if I wasn't paying attention and/or wallet was upside down then coins would spill out.

I only hope and feel blessed something so trivial like that will be my biggest annoyance again next time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
When I travel I keep coins (and sometimes even the notes) in a small pencil case. The wallet stays out of sight unless I need cards or home country money etc. I started this in Peru when my own wallet wasn't safe to use and loved it ever since.
Where will your May 2019 Camino take you?

Good idea. Next year will either be Burgos to Ponferrada or do St. Jean to Burgos again. Might depend on a couple people that I met on this years walk and their schedule and availability.
Will you be doing a walk soon I assume?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My dad (now age 97) started using a small purse for coins. This was because in WWII he would have to hastily get up during night time air raids and dress in a hurry. He also flew on various test flights and said coins would roll around and get lost during turbulence.

So I felt I brought the basics/usual stuff and got by fine on Camino #1. You really just don't need much. The one thing I will get for next year though is a man purse. Well, let's call it a wallet with a zipper instead to keep my masculinity intact. I didn't realize the amount of coins I would end up with each day and just used my old school wallet and threw the coins in there. So numerous times if I wasn't paying attention and/or wallet was upside down then coins would spill out.

I only hope and feel blessed something so trivial like that will be my biggest annoyance again next time.

I carry something called the "Taxi Wallet." It is a patented design that I have used for nearly 20 years. I find them on Amazon, in a variety of colors and leathers. Make sure you get the trademarked "Taxi Wallet" and not a knockoff.

At home, I use a brown / tan "Taxi Wallet." On Camino, I carry a black one. The color difference is because I leave my Camino wallet loaded with Euros from my previous trip to Europe, debit cards, and anything else I will need in Europe but not in the US. I simply swap out a few plastic cards to the "Euro wallet" before leaving for the airport.

This wallet fits easily in a hip pocket, not rear pocket. This helps foil pickpocketing. it also keeps the wallet very lose to hand when you are wearing a rucksack...

It is VERY cleverly designed to hold cash (paper money) in two pockets, PLUS a built in coin purse. It also has a single slot for 3 - 5 plastic cards (photo ID, credit & debit cards, transport pass, and medical insurance card. PLUS, the coin pocket has a small pouch that can hold a key, spare SIM, folded, large denomination "emergency" currency stash, etc. Thew wallet is about the size of your palm when folded closed. It snaps closed. I found the snap to be very durable.

Just as an FYI, I combine this handy, in the front pocket wallet with a nifty wallet callet the "Butterfly Wallet." This is made of lightweight, ripstop nylon, is a tri-fold design and holds up to a dozen cards and some cash easily. When folded, it is no larger than the size of the dozen or so plastic cards contained within. I fasten the folded wallet with a rubber band to make it near impossible to slip out of a pocket easily.

This tiny, weighs nothing wallet, holds all the plastic cards I MAY need but do not want in my quick access hip pocket Taxi Wallet. It rides in the same cargo pocket as my national passport and pilgrim credencial. I have these in varied bright colors. I use a muted one when at home, and a very brightly colored one when traveling so, should it come out of my pocket, it can be found in almost any lighting condition.

Over some 45-years of international travel I have learned the wisdom of spreading your stuff out in different pockets. Using two small wallets, each with a dedicated purpose and standard location on my person works best for me.

Start here to find these useful items....

Taxi Wallet:

From the designer's site:

https://aliciaklein.com/

From The Grommet, a clever items website:

https://www.thegrommet.com/taxi-wallet-by-alicia-klein-1

From Amazon, a dedicated Taxi Wallet page:

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Taxi+Wallet/Taxi+Wallet/&tag=?tag=casaivar02-20

Butterfly Wallet:

From the designer's website:

https://urbanultralight.com/product/butterfly-wallet/

From Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Butterfly-Wallet-Ultralight-Minimalist-Lightweight&tag=?tag=casaivar02-20

Check it out... These two items are Camino and foreign travel 'must' for me...

Hope this helps...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I carry something called the "Taxi Wallet." It is a patented design that I have used for nearly 20 years. I find them on Amazon, in a variety of colors and leathers. Make sure you get the trademarked "Taxi Wallet" and not a knockoff.

At home, I use a brown / tan "Taxi Wallet." On Camino, I carry a black one. The color difference is because I leave my Camino wallet loaded with Euros from my previous trip to Europe, debit cards, and anything else I will need in Europe but not in the US. I simply swap out a few plastic cards to the "Euro wallet" before leaving for the airport.

This wallet fits easily in a hip pocket, not rear pocket. This helps foil pickpocketing. it also keeps the wallet very lose to hand when you are wearing a rucksack...

It is VERY cleverly designed to hold cash (paper money) in two pockets, PLUS a built in coin purse. It also has a single slot for 3 - 5 plastic cards (photo ID, credit & debit cards, transport pass, and medical insurance card. PLUS, the coin pocket has a small pouch that can hold a key, spare SIM, folded, large denomination "emergency" currency stash, etc. Thew wallet is about the size of your palm when folded closed. It snaps closed. I found the snap to be very durable.

Just as an FYI, I combine this handy, in the front pocket wallet with a nifty wallet callet the "Butterfly Wallet." This is made of lightweight, ripstop nylon, is a tri-fold design and holds up to a dozen cards and some cash easily. When folded, it is no larger than the size of the dozen or so plastic cards contained within. I fasten the folded wallet with a rubber band to make it near impossible to slip out of a pocket easily.

This tiny, weighs nothing wallet, holds all the plastic cards I MAY need but do not want in my quick access hip pocket Taxi Wallet. It rides in the same cargo pocket as my national passport and pilgrim credencial. I have these in varied bright colors. I use a muted one when at home, and a very brightly colored one when traveling so, should it come out of my pocket, it can be found in almost any lighting condition.

Over some 45-years of international travel I have learned the wisdom of spreading your stuff out in different pockets. Using two small wallets, each with a dedicated purpose and standard location on my person works best for me.

Start here to find these useful items....

Taxi Wallet:

From the designer's site:

https://aliciaklein.com/

From The Grommet, a clever items website:

https://www.thegrommet.com/taxi-wallet-by-alicia-klein-1

From Amazon, a dedicated Taxi Wallet page:

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Taxi+Wallet/Taxi+Wallet/&tag=?tag=casaivar02-20

Butterfly Wallet:

From the designer's website:

https://urbanultralight.com/product/butterfly-wallet/

From Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Butterfly-Wallet-Ultralight-Minimalist-Lightweight&tag=?tag=casaivar02-20

Check it out... These two items are Camino and foreign travel 'must' for me...

Hope this helps...
Two nations separated by the same language . . . here's what a "Taxi Wallet" looks like in the UK

1540214338499.png
a bit like those Jacob's Ladder toys.

I use an AlpineSwiss magnetic holder for cash and cards

1540214646611.png
but always have a problem with Euro coins - so many and of such little value - so maybe a purse?

The Taxi Wallet I refer to is a patented design that incorporated the change purse. The overall shape and format is perfect for front pocket carry.

I appreciate the linguistic divide. I really do. Clearly the phrase takes on a different meaning in the UK. But, in the US, a clever person copyrighted / trademarked the design and name. So, here at least the term has a specific meaning.

See my links for more information...

Thanks for the added explanation and information.

I simply wrap my credit cards in a plastic sleeve and place them in my money belt hidden under my clothes. I wear a small bum bag outside of my clothes where I have coins and euros for the day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good idea. Next year will either be Burgos to Ponferrada or do St. Jean to Burgos again. Might depend on a couple people that I met on this years walk and their schedule and availability.
Will you be doing a walk soon I assume?
Yes Brian, we will leave 1 April from Sevilla, with the intention of arriving in Santaigo. Will hopefully meet 2 of our 3 kids somewhere along the way, not necassarily at the same place ....this could be interesting! Lol :)

I use a very small zip lock bag, reinforced along the edges with the tape I use on my my feet :eek:
Doesn't come any lighter than that ;)
The smaller denomination coins I keep in my pack top pocket for use at churches...

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You could attach some reflective tape to the wallets or purses. This could be done with your regular ones but it would look weird. On Camino, who cares. Or, using Tom's great rubber band idea, the reflective material could be slipped under the band. Then the thing could even be found at night. Don't forget to add your email address and Mobil phone number in the things.

I use a very small zip lock bag, reinforced along the edges with the tape I use on my my feet :eek:
Doesn't come any lighter than that ;)
The smaller denomination coins I keep in my pack top pocket for use at churches...
I just kept my coins in my front pants pocket. Lighter by the weight of a ziplock bag and reinforcing tape. ;-)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back