• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Opinions on EuroSchirm Hiking Umbrella for March/April Sevillia Hike

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have the Euroschirm telescope umbrella (like the one in the forum store) and love it. I've tried lighter weight umbrellas, but they didn't have the stability of this umbrella which is specifically made to be handsfree.

I haven't done the VdlP yet, but when I do I'll definitely bring my umbrella - it's great to carry your own shade.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For me, whether or not to bring an umbrella depends on the route. I brought it on the Frances because of the Meseta and was glad I had it. I brought an ultralight solar "hiking" umbrella and attach it to my shoulder strap. I have one by Gossamer gear and one from another brand but can't remember which. Having attachments to attach to your backpack straps is key - but I will bring extra velcro in the future to add extra stability. The straps alone were pretty good, but I still ended up stabilizing it with my hand quite often. But the hiking umbrellas tend to be very lightweight yet don't break as easy in the wind. And if they are "solar" umbrellas - well they provide great sun protection across more of your face and body than a hat alone. On rainy days it kept me dry. At that time I also wore prescription glasses - so I was able to see without my glasses being totally wet. On hot days it kept me a bit cooler and allowed me to not wear my hat which held in the heat too much. I used it a lot between Roncesvalles and Pamplona because it was very hot. I used it a lot on the Meseta because there wasn't much shade.

On the Norte I didn't bother to bring it because I thought there would be too much wind. Didn't miss it for the Norte or Primitvo - but then most days it was cooler and I could usually find shade to rest in. I had also had corrective eye surgery which meant I could easily see without the umbrella in the rain.

I will bring it this summer on the Via Francigena because I expect little shade for at least the first half of France.

Unfortunately - I can't comment on your specific umbrella - but if you expect heat and/or little shade - I would bring it. If you don't end up needing it you could always mail it home or donate it.

I always walk in spring and have never needed an umbrella for shade. I do bring a lightweight cheapie umbrella for any light drizzle or rain; the advantage is that it kept me from digging out my rain coat for short periods of intermittent light rain. I walk using just one hiking pole, so do not need a hands-free model.

I always walk in spring and have never needed an umbrella for shade. I do bring a lightweight cheapie umbrella for any light drizzle or rain; the advantage is that it kept me from digging out my rain coat for short periods of intermittent light rain. I walk using just one hiking pole, so do not need a hands-free model.
Yes, I have considered the single pole & hand held umbrella, although I may regret not going hands free on extra long distances.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, I have considered the single pole & hand held umbrella, although I may regret not going hands free on extra long distances.
I get that. I have read that the VdlP can get quite hot, even in early spring with little shade from the sun. A hands-free model would probably be more appreciated in that situation.

I have the Euroschirm telescope umbrella (like the one in the forum store) and love it. I've tried lighter weight umbrellas, but they didn't have the stability of this umbrella which is specifically made to be handsfree.

I haven't done the VdlP yet, but when I do I'll definitely bring my umbrella - it's great to carry your own shade.
Did you try the Z Pack umbrella? That’s the one I am considering, but want to be sure that it is good.

Hi All, I'm planning a March/April start from Sevillia.
What's the general opinion on the EuroSchirm hiking umbrella?
I have just ordered one after getting recommendations from a few people. I haven’t taken it for a test hike yet so hopefully it’s a good idea . Starting in Seville end of April.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I bought one for the CP initially for sun protection but mostly used it as a rain umbrella
It was warm in June and I could walk without having to wear a jacket or poncho
I was able to attach it so I was hands free without too much hassle,they are very light and wouldn't be without one now

I have one by Gossamer gear and one from another brand but can't remember which. Having attachments to attach to your backpack straps is key - but I will bring extra velcro in the future to add extra stability. The straps alone were pretty good, but I still ended up stabilizing it with my hand quite often.
That's never been an issue for me with the Euroschirm hands free. It's built with an extra long telescoping handle that provides an extra point of attachment at the hip belt that keeps it very stable.
Did you try the Z Pack umbrella? That’s the one I am considering, but want to be sure that it is good.
To me, the problem with Zpacks and Gossamer Gear umbrellas is that they have standard length handles and it's harder to keep them stable.

This video shows how easy it is to deploy.

I bought one for the CP initially for sun protection but mostly used it as a rain umbrella
It was warm in June and I could walk without having to wear a jacket or poncho
I was able to attach it so I was hands free without too much hassle,they are very light and wouldn't be without one now
Which one did you use?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have used the Euroschirms for many years - wouldn't be without one - even before they had a handsfree version. I then switched over to the handsfree and have just discovered (thank you Trecile for the U-tube link!) that they now have a compact version which I have now ordered. Halleluja!

I have used the Euroschirms for many years - wouldn't be without one - even before they had a handsfree version. I then switched over to the handsfree and have just discovered (thank you Trecile for the U-tube link!) that they now have a compact version which I have now ordered. Halleluja!
The compact version sounds perfect. Does it still attach/work as well as the telescopic version? Do you have a name/model number please? Did you order from Euroschim?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
PS I have ordered the silver-coated antiUV version. The coating comes off somewhat at the outer folds through a lot of usage without the protective cover. I do not know how the compact foldable version will fare…. However even on my oldest umbrella which I have had for 12 years and extensively used (even here at home for short walks - it is rather windy here), the silver coating is still quite good.

The compact version sounds perfect. Does it still attach/work as well as the telescopic https://euroschirm.com/schirm/LightTrek-ultra/index.cgi?session=7tGwri6N9QJWy&sprache_land=usaversion? Do you have a name/model number please? Did you order from Euroschim?
Yes, the compact version is called the Telescope Handsfree. You can buy one from @ivar in the forum store.
It is about twice as heavy as some of the ultralight umbrellas, but the canopy is larger and I think that the stability and ease of use are worth the extra weight.
One year I brought an ultralight Euroschirm trekking umbrella (I'm pretty sure that the umbrellas sold by Zpacks and Gossamer Gear are made by Euroschirm too), but one of the ribs broke on the first lightly windy day that I used it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, the compact version is called the Telescope Handsfree. You can buy one from @ivar in the forum store.
It is about twice as heavy as some of the ultralight umbrellas, but the canopy is larger and I think that the stability and ease of use are worth the extra weight.
One year I brought an ultralight Euroschirm trekking umbrella (I'm pretty sure that the umbrellas sold by Zpacks and Gossamer Gear are made by Euroschirm too), but one of the ribs broke on the first lightly windy day that I used it.
Thanks for the info. I hope I can get one to Australia before the end of March!

I adore my euroschirm hiking umbrella. Mine is the hands-free version which is quite heavy but large and sturdy. I used it practically every day on the Camino Frances in Sep/Oct 2018. It was essential as a sun shade and kept me much cooler as I could take off my hat and let the hot air escape from my head. It was sturdy against the wind and I often used it as a windbreak by angelling it towards the wind, and a wind shelter when we sat for lunch or a break. It didn't often get used against the rain but when it did it had a nice wide area of protection with its great-sized canopy. I later bought an ultra-light trekking umbrella but hated it, too flimsy and didn't stand up to the wind, so have tossed it away and went back to my faithful friend!

I have a Euroschirm umbrella - the one with the silver coating. After several years of use on caminos it’s now showing a patina of use but is still functional and more than does the job for sun and rain protection.

Here’s a photo of me in its welcome shade - I was walking into Fuenterroble on the VDLP on an absolute stinker of a day back in May last year. Wearing my hat my head had become so hot and sweaty and I was longing for some air on my head. I used the umbrella a lot on the VDLP and Sanabres but it was especially appreciated on this day.

9E5C6F7D-BC18-4A84-B9BC-3BD108219572.jpeg

Another tip - at times on the VDLP the flying insects were way beyond a nuisance - they drove me crazy flying around my face! I ended up buying a fisherman’s head net which weighed practically nothing a few days later in Salamanca and from then on the flies etc didn’t bother me. I received a few strange looks wearing it but those looks didn’t bother me either! 😎

Cheers from Oz -

Jenny

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That's never been an issue for me with the Euroschirm hands free. It's built with an extra long telescoping handle that provides an extra point of attachment at the hip belt that keeps it very stable.

To me, the problem with Zpacks and Gossamer Gear umbrellas is that they have standard length handles and it's harder to keep them stable.

This video shows how easy it is to deploy.

I had a solar umbrella with standard length by handles and it is take a bit of creativity to set it up to be hands free. The good thing was that it was short and easily stowed when not in use both when walking and when flying from Australia.
I know there was a time when umbrellas weren’t allowed in hand luggage. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

protection.

Here’s a photo of me in its welcome shade - I was walking into Fuenterroble on the VDLP on an absolute stinker of a day back in May last year. Wearing my hat my head had become so hot and sweaty and I was longing for some air on my head. I used the umbrella a lot on the VDLP and Sanabres but it was especially appreciated on this day.

Not only does it protect your head from the sun, but your whole upper body!

And I have found one other function nobody has mentioned so far: I absolutely need my siesta and have many times slept under my umbrella when no shade was to be found near the path. However I have not yet found a solution to use it for a siesta when it is raining except once sitting upright on a tree trunk closing my eyes for a few minutes - not a siesta exactly!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I believe that the umbrellas sold by Gossamer Gear, Zpacks, and Six Moon Designs are rebadged Euroschirm umbrellas.
Do you know which is the same they sell in the camino store? Im in the US so i dont think euroscirm sells here

I love my Euroschirm Telescopic, a silver beauty called Polly the Parasolly (of course). Used it extensively on the meseta and it was worth my weight in gold. First couple of days I used it, I could hear giggles around me and for a while I was apparently called 'UFO lady', but by Astorga I could have sold it many times over! It is heavier than the others out there but also a lot sturdier, as others have pointed out, and as I walk with Pacerpoles I really appreciated having my hands free and not worrying about Polly going AWOLly.

Attachments

• half UFO.jpg
    half UFO.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 22
I have a Euroshirm Telescope Handsfree bought here on the forum (always fast dependable service!). I found it a bit heavy but it was great for both sun and rain. At the end of my last camino, while walking through Obradoiro Square, one of the ribs broke during an intense wind / rain storm. So... looking at options for new one.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a Euroshirm Telescope Handsfree bought here on the forum (always fast dependable service!). I found it a bit heavy but it was great for both sun and rain. At the end of my last camino, while walking through Obradoiro Square, one of the ribs broke during an intense wind / rain storm. So... looking at options for new one.
Have you checked with them whether they do repairs?

Thanks for that. Wild Earth doesn't don't have them in my home state, although they did have a model called Dainty but no clips/clasps!!
I'll try Sydney, otherwise it's the Forum Shop.
Hi @rainforestgirl - I bought my Euroschirm umbrella at Trek & Travel in Kent Street in the Sydney CB several years ago. Might be worth a phone call or check their online shop to see if they currently stock them.
Cheers - Jenny

Have you checked with them whether they do repairs?
I did. They have a two year warranty and that period had passed for my umbrella. The said I could send it to them for repair but would have to pay for return postage along with the repair costs. The total costs would be far more than buying a new umbrella.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On the Camino Frances this past September I saw 6 other pilgrims carrying umbrellas besides my own (Zpack). 4 were UV silver, one orange and one yellow. (The colorful ones showed up nicely.) I only needed mine for rain 2 or 3 times but for sun, most other days it kept the afternoon sun off. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Trek & Travel only stock the Heliox. Did you find the EuroSchim heavy?
The specs for all of their umbrellas are on the Euroschirm website.

Here are the specs for the Telescope Handsfree:

telescope umbrella specs.jpg

It's about twice as heavy as their lightest weight option, but for me the sturdiness and stability is worth it. I had the Light Trek Ultra, and it didn't last the first wind.

My Telescope Handsfree umbrella is the heaviest single item that I carry, but like @nidarosa I found the shade that it provides invaluable on the Meseta, and I probably could have sold dozens to other pilgrims on hot sunny days.

Last edited:
Trek & Travel only stock the Heliox. Did you find the EuroSchim heavy?
Hi @rainforestgirl - that’s a shame … I’m not sure what Euroschirm model mine is as it’s quite a few years ago that I purchased it.

I didn’t find it heavy but it’s an umbrella that doesn’t fold up so it’s not as compact as some of the other hiking umbrellas on the market. If you were to buy something similar you’d need to secure it to the side of your pack when not in use, just as you would do with your hiking poles.

Buen sun-and-rain-protected camino!

Cheers -
Jenny

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I didn’t find it heavy but it’s an umbrella that doesn’t fold up so it’s not as compact as some of the other hiking umbrellas on the market.
I ordered mine from Euroschirm directly. And if you look at their video (click on “Telescope Handsfree” in Trecile’s post #41) you see this is a compact version which should go into any rucksack. Also check with Ivar whether this is the version he sells in his shop. I would have ordered it from him had I thought of it because he gives excellent quick service!

Also check with Ivar whether this is the version he sells in his shop
It is - it shows in the pictures on the listing for the umbrella. The only difference is that the umbrella pictured is orange, but Ivar states that those that he is selling have the silver UV coating.
It looks like it's currently sold out in the forum store - probably because of this thread! Hopefully @ivar will get more in soon.

Hi @rainforestgirl - that’s a shame … I’m not sure what Euroschirm model mine is as it’s quite a few years ago that I purchased it.

I didn’t find it heavy but it’s an umbrella that doesn’t fold up so it’s not as compact as some of the other hiking umbrellas on the market. If you were to buy something similar you’d need to secure it to the side of your pack when not in use, just as you would do with your hiking poles.

Buen sun-and-rain-protected camino!

Cheers -
Jenny
Thanks Jenny
Am quite excited about this Camino. I've walked a few over the past 20 years, but feel this one will be extra special. It's two months before the long haul across the world!
Thanks for your advice.
Annie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back