• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Organizing tech & electronics gear

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
I'm interested in how people organize their tech and electronics items (charging cord, power pack, charger, USB's, phone, plug converters, USB condoms, etc).

Do you prefer a small lightweight case with compartments or just use a ziplock bag? Or something in-between?

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm interested in how people organize their tech and electronics items (charging cord, power pack, charger, USB's, phone, plug converters, USB condoms, etc).

Do you prefer a small lightweight case with compartments or just use a ziplock bag? Or something in-between?

Buen Camino!
My phone goes in my pocket and the charging cord and EU plug go in an outside pocket of my pack so that they are accessible if I am waiting somewhere and I spot an availability electricity socket.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are infinite ways to "organize" (or not) your many items. How do you prefer to organize your electronics when you go away for the day at home? What is the condition of your phone battery? Will you typically need to access your power pack during the walking day? Does your backpack have pockets and how do you personally like to use them? If your electronics are going in the top pouch of your backpack, do you also need something waterproof to protect them?

We are all different in the ways that our brains organize things. For example, my electronics collection includes a few other items that I think of as "tools". So when I am trying to remember where I put that widget, I remember it is a "tool" and thus should be in my blue zipped case. Other people would think I am crazy, since they are able to remember straight away where every single item is. Others never know where anything is, and need to rummage through everything. What are you like?

All of these variables and many more will affect how you like to organize things, and once you are walking you will decide to try something different - it will depend on weather, what other things in your pack need to "rise to the top" on that day. If you develop a blister problem that needs special attention one day, you might put re-organize those supplies for better accessibility.

Organize these things in the way that seems most suitable for you, and then adjust. I recommend taking several extra zip lock baggies.

On 9 Caminos and many other trips, I have never landed on the perfect plan.

We are all different in the ways that our brains organize things. For example, my electronics collection includes a few other items that I think of as "tools". So when I am trying to remember where I put that widget, I remember it is a "tool" and thus should be in my blue zipped case
In the same vein my charger and cord go into a small zippered cloth bag that I consider my "sleep bag." Things that I use when getting ready for bed go in there.

Buen Camino!
I just use a ziplock bag. Except not for the phone. That tends to just go in my pocket.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Phone in my pocket, batteries in ziplock bag in pack, the rest in an old Nutella jar in the pack. I wanted something really waterproof as the things in there could have been difficult to replace. I had a bit more than most people because I had USB A-C and C-A adapters and a SIM card.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a TON of packing cubes but they are not light weight. I think I'll need to actually do a test of packing soon to see what is needed, and check the actual weights on the cubes.

Maybe I'll finish off the Nutella and use the jar :)

Lovely, those S2S stuff sacks are on sale, but they seemed too small to be of use? Do you like them?

I know I'll need a dry bag for my quilt & liner. I bought the S2S dry bags (set of 3) but they are all too small for my sleep system (the largest was 4L). I reordered a 12L. I'm sure it will be too big.

Buy/return/buy/return/buy/return.....I'm caught in a loop!!!!

*Anyone use a waterproof system for documents?
*Anyone use a shoulder strap pouch for misc items?

Phone will stay in pants pocket now that I have these DTC pants that are WONDERFUL!

CClearly -
"Will you typically need to access your power pack during the walking day? "
I doubt it.

"Does your backpack have pockets and how do you personally like to use them? "
Two small pockets on the hip belt. Not sure how to best put them to use. Maybe powerbars or gels?

"If your electronics are going in the top pouch of your backpack, do you also need something waterproof to protect them?"
I wonder if a double ziplock bag will be OK for a charger, charger cord, EU plug and USB condom or if I need a true waterproof container.

I know I'll need a dry bag for my quilt & liner.

I have never bothered to put any of my gear in a dry bag. My homemade "Parcho" - which is similar to an Altus with sleeves and room for my backpack, always keeps everything in my backpack dry. Some people like to use a waterproof pack liner to be doubly sure that the contents of their packs remain dry. Being a basically lazy person, I don't like to spend the time and effort to get the air out of the dry bag and roll the top down. I use a simple drawstring bag that I made out of the same waterproof fabric as my Parcho for my sleep gear.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I either re-purpose one of the small airline pouches that one gets on long haul flights with sleep mask, toiletries etc, or some other small pouch similar to a pencil case. I do have some larger zippered pouches that I will take if I have either a lot of items or more bulky items like a multi-USB port travel adaptor. This year I carried a power bank that I kept in the top pouch of my pack, and used that to recharge when I stopped at a cafe, rather than try and find a power point and sit next to that. I use a very short cable if I do that, and have a longer cable that I can use at night when I have access to a power point for my charger.

...........I know I'll need a dry bag for my quilt & liner. I bought the S2S dry bags (set of 3) but they are all too small for my sleep system (the largest was 4L). I reordered a 12L. I'm sure it will be too big.

Buy/return/buy/return/buy/return.....I'm caught in a loop!!!!

*Anyone use a waterproof system for documents?
*Anyone use a shoulder strap pouch for misc items?

Phone will stay in pants pocket now that I have these DTC pants that are WONDERFUL!
Hi Marska, all you really need is a waterproof pack liner. The rest of your stuff can go in ordinary cloth or silnylon bags without the weight or hassle of separate drybags. Your quilt need not even be put into a stuff sack but can be shoved straight into your pack to help give it shape and sit better on your back. Documents I keep in a waterproof wallet either inside my pants attached to my belt or in a top shirt pocket. Copies I keep in a plastic bag inside my pack. My pack has waistbelt pouches for small miscellaneous items and my phone sits comfortably in my pocket.

Containers of any sort add weight, as you've already found with the packing cubes.An oversized dry bag is no problem as it can be compressed down - you don't need a special compression dry bag.. Mine is normally compressed to less than half size for clothes and sleep system, but can hold everything if I hit prolonged torrential rain. I don't use a poncho or pack cover.
Documents - guide book pages, small notebook and return tickets, and also an e-reader lived in those plastic slip covers made to hold sheets within a ring binder. They just lasted the 6 weeks I was away. European usb charger plug and cord lived in a small pouch with eye shade, earplugs and torch (latter was superfluous). Phone in pocket or top compartment of pack, in a plastic bag if it rained.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Buen Camino!
Phone in its slim waterproof case goes in left front pants pocket for very quick access taking photos. Small headlamp, earbuds, wall charger, usb-phone cord, powerbank, usb-powerbank cord all go into backpack hip belt left pocket for easy access to charge phone as needed. Earbuds have easy access to make the odd call at cafe stop. Head lamp easy access for rare times walking in the dark. Sometimes I put the powerbank in rear pants pocket with cord to front for charging phone while I walk or take a snack break. I don't keep these in separate plastic bag as dampness as never hurt them on 10 caminos or numerous other travels.

Its a great question. I carried a lot of tech between myself and my 11 year old son. I made a video on powered device on the Camino. I hope it helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My phone is in my waist bag for easy access; all other tech things I bring go into a small 2-liter dry bag which is stored in the inner zipper of my backpack head.

Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 13.29.26.png

Buen Camino!
When not using, I keep my iPad, iPod, earbuds & cords in ziplock & place them in the space where a camelback would go & carry collapsible water bottle instead, Especially when I go to shower, it is concealed & no one knows my stuff is there. I don’t make it public when I remove them either. I learned from other pilgrim’s mistake to never leave your electronics charging while you take a shower; just never take your eyeballs off them. One young man we befriended did that & it was stolen at municipal albergue in Leon. Fortunately, an older man from his country agreed to cover him the rest of the way, because he had lost all his info for getting money, including all his phone numbers & couldn’t even remember his Dad’s phone number to call him.
When using, pocket on jacket or side pocket on pack are perfect, but there again, don’t leave out when you stop for a rest.

When not using, I keep my iPad, iPod, earbuds & cords in ziplock & place them in the space where a camelback would go & carry collapsible water bottle instead, Especially when I go to shower, it is concealed & no one knows my stuff is there
I wouldn't be too sure about that.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.