• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orisson Refugio - A Philosophical/Literary Footnote

John Finn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances - Sarria to Santiago (2013), Burgos to Leon (2014), St Jean Pied de Port to Logrono (2015), Logrono to Burgos (2016), Leon to Sarria (May 2017).
The Orisson Refugio is justly famous as a stop for either a short break before heading on to Roncesvalles or as a place to stay the night.

The magnificent views to be obtained (on a good day!) while sipping a coffee on the terrace is one of the highlights of the Camino Frances.

What very few people are aware of however is that it has a tenuous relationship with two the of the twentieth century’s greatest philosophical and literary figures, Jean-Paul Sartre and his lover Simone de Beauvoir.

(Sartre is probably best known for his saying “Hell is other people”, a sentiment with which anyone who has ever stayed in an albergue will heartily agree.)

It all stems from an incident in August 1964. Sartre, at de Beauvoir’s urging, agreed to accompany her on a walking holiday in the region around St Jean Pied de Port which was then a sleepy little village (this was long before the resurgence of interest in the Camino - pilgrims at the time were few and far between). “You need to get out more, Sartre - you’ve always your nose stuck in a book - it'll do you good", urged de Beauvoir.

Reluctantly, Sartre agreed. This was surprising as Sartre’s idea of relaxation was drinking copious amounts of brandy and smoking to excess while ruminating on the meaninglessness of existence.

They arrived in St Jean in early August and obtained lodgings in a guesthouse. Sartre promptly made a beeline for the local hostelry which irked de Beauvoir no end - this was not in keeping with her plan for
fresh air and exercise. They retired to bed around 11 p.m. with Sartre (as usual) the worse for wear.

The following morning de Beauvoir decided they would try to walk to the Col de Lepoeder which at 1,450 metres is the highest point of the Route de Napoleon. This was utterly unrealistic given Sartre's general physical condition and his bleary-eyed countenance on the morning. They set out at around 10 a.m.

It did not work out well. While de Beauvoir strode purposefully forth, Sartre waddled along, coughing, wheezing and complaining. She had to constantly wait for him to catch up. After several hours they reached a location near to where the Refugio Orisson now stands. At the time there was a shepherd's hut there.

At this point Sartre collapsed in a paroxysm of coughing. His face turned shades of purple and blue and as he crouched on his hands and knees a hip flask fell from his pocket. He was drunk as well! De Beauvoir verbally castigated him for his behaviour but it had no effect on Sartre. His only response, when he recovered his voice was to break into song - a medley of ribald peasant ballads. Clearly, he was in no condition to go on or go back.

As luck would have it, a shepherd with a horse and cart and accompanied by a youth came along. De Beauvoir pleaded with them to carry them back to St Jean. They agreed a price. While they were manhandling the drunken Sartre into the cart the youth who had a simple camera photographed the scene.

And this is where the present-day Refugio Orisson comes in. That photograph is in the possession of the owner Jean-Jacques Etchandy. The youth who took it was his uncle. It is not on public display but Jean-Jacques is happy to show it to those whom he is satisfied has an interest in Sartre and/or de Beauvoir.

Be sure to ask him to show it to you if you are stopping there. But please, do NOT ask to see the photo of “Gene Paul Sartry and Simon de Beaver”. Try to get the pronunciation of their names right. Otherwise, Jean-Jacques will feign ignorance of any such photo.

References:

1. “Mes vacances avec cette petite baise de graisse” - a privately published monograph by de Beauvoir on her ill-fated trip. It was written in anger. It translates roughly as: "My vacation with that little fat fellow" (except that "fellow" is not the right word but I hesitate, for reasons of propriety, to give the correct one. It does begin with "f" however.) It can be seen in the Simone de Beauvoir collection in the Bibliothéque Nationale de France, Paris.

2. “Sartre and de Beauvoir - an unconventional love story” - Jean-Michel Rubillon, Dublin 1991 (out of print). Rubillon details the trip (based on de Beauvoir's monograph) on pages 115-116 and surmises that their relationship came near to breaking point at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Wow that is an absolutely amazing titbit of Camino lore you posted here! Thank you ever so much! Triple-thousand like if I could! Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Orisson Refugio is justly famous as a stop for either a short break before heading on to Roncesvalles or as a place to stay the night.

The magnificent views to be obtained (on a good day!) while sipping a coffee on the terrace is one of the highlights of the Camino Frances.

What very few people are aware of however is that it has a tenuous relationship with two the of the twentieth century’s greatest philosophical and literary figures, Jean-Paul Sartre and his lover Simone de Beauvoir.

(Sartre is probably best known for his saying “Hell is other people”, a sentiment with which anyone who has ever stayed in an albergue will heartily agree.)

It all stems from an incident in August 1964. Sartre, at de Beauvoir’s urging, agreed to accompany her on a walking holiday in the region around St Jean Pied de Port which was then a sleepy little village (this was long before the resurgence of interest in the Camino - pilgrims at the time were few and far between). “You need to get out more, Sartre - you’ve always your nose stuck in a book - it'll do you good", urged de Beauvoir.

Reluctantly, Sartre agreed. This was surprising as Sartre’s idea of relaxation was drinking copious amounts of brandy and smoking to excess while ruminating on the meaninglessness of existence.

They arrived in St Jean in early August and obtained lodgings in a guesthouse. Sartre promptly made a beeline for the local hostelry which irked de Beauvoir no end - this was not in keeping with her plan for
fresh air and exercise. They retired to bed around 11 p.m. with Sartre (as usual) the worse for wear.

The following morning de Beauvoir decided they would try to walk to the Col de Lepoeder which at 1,450 metres is the highest point of the Route de Napoleon. This was utterly unrealistic given Sartre's general physical condition and his bleary-eyed countenance on the morning. They set out at around 10 a.m.

It did not work out well. While de Beauvoir strode purposefully forth, Sartre waddled along, coughing, wheezing and complaining. She had to constantly wait for him to catch up. After several hours they reached a location near to where the Refugio Orisson now stands. At the time there was a shepherd's hut there.

At this point Sartre collapsed in a paroxysm of coughing. His face turned shades of purple and blue and as he crouched on his hands and knees a hip flask fell from his pocket. He was drunk as well! De Beauvoir verbally castigated him for his behaviour but it had no effect on Sartre. His only response, when he recovered his voice was to break into song - a medley of ribald peasant ballads. Clearly, he was in no condition to go on or go back.

As luck would have it, a shepherd with a horse and cart and accompanied by a youth came along. De Beauvoir pleaded with them to carry them back to St Jean. They agreed a price. While they were manhandling the drunken Sartre into the cart the youth who had a simple camera photographed the scene.

And this is where the present-day Refugio Orisson comes in. That photograph is in the possession of the owner Jean-Jacques Etchandy. The youth who took it was his uncle. It is not on public display but Jean-Jacques is happy to show it to those whom he is satisfied has an interest in Sartre and/or de Beauvoir.

Be sure to ask him to show it to you if you are stopping there. But please, Americans, do NOT ask to see the photo of “Gene Paul Sartry and Simon de Beaver”. Try to get the pronunciation of their names right. Otherwise, Jean-Jacques will feign ignorance of any such photo.

References:

1. “Mes vacances avec cette petite baise de graisse” - a privately published monograph by de Beauvoir on her ill-fated trip. It was written in anger. It translates roughly as: "My vacation with that little fat fellow" (except that "fellow" is not the right word but I hesitate, for reasons of propriety, to give the correct one. It does begin with "f" however.) It can be seen in the Simone de Beauvoir collection in the Bibliothéque Nationale de France, Paris.

2. “Sartre and de Beauvoir - an unconventional love story” - Jean-Michel Rubillon, Dublin 1991 (out of print). Rubillon details the trip (based on de Beauvoir's monograph) on pages 115-116 and surmises that their relationship came near to breaking point at the time.

Thanks for sharing the story - it will be in my mind when I overnight at Orisson soon - I love this forum too - learn something every time. There is another post about a backpack being stolen - it never occured to add some kind of contact details on my backpack - I will now. Gracias

Thank you extremely!
Now I know what I've been doing wrong all my life!
In attempting to lure intelligent women into my grasp, I have sought to weave an intricate web, the various sticky strands of which were designed to portray myself as a desirable, sober, industrious, learned, trustworthy, thoughtful, kind, handsome gentleman. Indeed, a veritable Renaissance man.
I'm still on my own. The results speak for themselves.

But now the shades have been lifted from my eyes. If I'm to get myself a Simone, then, in the few remaining years I now have available, I intend to take Jean-Paul as my role model.
Look how well he did!
Pass the cognac, light me a cigar.
It might be my last innings, but I'm coming home strong.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you extremely!
Now I know what I've been doing wrong all my life!
In attempting to lure intelligent women into my grasp, I have sought to weave an intricate web, the various strands of which were designed to portray myself as a desirable, sober, industrious, learned, trustworthy, thoughtful, kind, handsome gentleman. Indeed, a veritable Renaissance man.
I'm still on my own. The results speak for themselves.

But now the shades have been lifted from my eyes. If I'm to get myself a Simone then in the few remaining years I now have available, I intend to take Jean-Paul as my role model.
Look how well he did!
Pass the cognac, light me a cigar.
It might be my last innings but I'm coming home strong.
Been practising that for years. Never alone, unless I insisted.

Wine - Connecting people.

Or cognac. Whatever.

Well, with re current re-enacting mania (I was very surprised to read that some people are doing the Camino looking for the suppposed exact places pictured in "The Way" movie) we could have curious sightings in this stage.
But getting a horse and cart could be a problem nowadays.
On the other side, being of a skeptical and distrustful nature, I suspect that the Orisson owner is pondering the convenience of opening the "Simone and Jean Paul" bar.

Well, with re current re-enacting mania (I was very surprised to read that some people are doing the Camino looking for the suppposed exact places pictured in "The Way" movie) we could have curious sightings in this stage.
But getting a horse and cart could be a problem nowadays.
On the other side, being of a skeptical and distrustful nature, I suspect that the Orisson owner is pondering the convenience of opening the "Simone and Jean Paul" bar.

Perhaps that bar might borrow a film line and be aptly named "We'll always have Paris".

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Didn't he write s trilogy, The Roads to Freedom? Maybe a hazy memory of that drunken hill climb lodged somewhere in the back of his mind.

And wouldn't "The Road to Freedom" be a great name for a light-hearted book about the Camino - with due acknowledgement to Jean-Paul. Two books I've enjoyed are "Spirit of Place" by Lawrence Durrell (serious, philosophical) and "Fillets of Plaice" by his brother, Gerald Durrell (amusing, anecdotal). It was Lawrence who came up with the title for Gerald's book, which was published shortly after his own.

Over to you @gerardcarey .

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back