• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Our friend Geoffrey tells us what to expect

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
Befell that in that season on a day .............. It happened
In St Jean at the Aubergue as I lay .............. Southwark/The Tabard Inn
Ready to wenden on my pilgrimage ............. to go
To Santiago with full devout couráge, .......... Canterbury/spirit, heart
At night was come into that hostel ............. hostelry
Well nine and twenty in a company ............. fully 29
Of sundry folk by áventure y-fall .................. by chance fallen
In fellowship, and pilgrims were they all ........ Into company
That toward Santiago woulden ride ............. Canterbury/wished to
The chambers and the stables weren wide ..... were roomy
And well we weren easèd at the best ........... catered for
And shortly, when the sunnè was to rest,
So had I spoken with them every one
That I was of their fellowship anon,
And madè forward early for to rise ............... made agreement
To take our way there as I you devise ........... I shall to you recount

The replacement of a few words (italics) in Geoffrey Chaucer's 'Prologue to The Canterbury Tales' reveals the comforting information that little appears to have changed in 600 years regarding the intent and spirit of pilgrims as they gather at the start of their journey.
Devout, courage, sundry folk, adventure, fellowship. The words leap off the page as I recall the folk I met in St Jean and along 'The Way'.

Regards
Gerard

PS
To those interested, or who have had difficulty in reading/understanding 'The Canterbury Tales' may I enthusiastically recommend Michael Murphy's reader-friendly on-line edition. Start at the 'General Prologue' in which Geoffrey gives us a wonderful description of his Pilgrims, their dress, manners, morals, virtues and foibles.
http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/webco ... anterbury/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And thries hadde she been at Jerusalem; Three times she'd travelled to Santiago;
She hadde passed many a straunge strem; And passed many a foreign stream;
At Rome she hadde been, and at Boloigne, At Rome she'd been, and in Lourdes
In Galice at Seint-Jame, and at Coloigne. In Galicia at Santiago, and at Finisterre
She koude muchel of wandrynge by the weye. She could tell much of wandering by the way

:D

Lovely !
Remember you well :D
Hope all good with you in sunny Oz.
Helen :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
fortview said:
Lovely !
Remember you well :D
Hope all good with you in sunny Oz.
Helen :)
Brisbane in the summer is a bit hot for me mate so I headed off to Kiwiland in Jan and just back.
Didn't we just have a good time! Hope all is well with you both,
Gerard

Most read last week in this forum

I think I messed up my stages. Following Brierly now after being off stage during the busy sections. Brierly has a stage from Molinaseca to villafranca del Bierzo. And then one potentially...
A local Navarra website has reported the death of a 61 year old German peregrina this morning in Zuriain. The cause appears to have been cardiac arrest. The third death of a pilgrim in Navarra in...
We’re currently on the Frances. We’re walking from SJPDP. We’re looking at our projected dates for Sarria to Santiago. When we try to find lodging it all looks sold out on booking.com. What...
I just got an email that the train from Bayonne to St Jean tonight is canceled. Anyone else see this?
Hi - I am currently on the Via Podiensis and in a few weeks will be arriving in SJPP and then continuing on the Frances for a bit. I have never been to SJPP before and am wondering if it is worth...
So just leaving Sarria, after crossing the little stone bridge Ponte de Aspera at the train tracks there are 2 mojons pointing different directions. It was fun to watch the confusion of the shiny...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back