• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Out of SJPP on Sunday April 30

Shston Girlfd

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2023
Am currently on the Camino Frances with limited connectivity. I had a horrific day on the trail out of SJPP due to the windstorm. I heard from some Portuguese pilgrims that several people had to be rescued. Anyone have any links or knowledge?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Am currently on the Camino Frances with limited connectivity. I had a horrific day on the trail out of SJPP due to the windstorm. I heard from some Portuguese pilgrims that several people had to be rescued. Anyone have any links or knowledge?
Shston, it's really alarming and difficult, I know. They had 146K/hr winds there a couple of days ago (the day you crossed), in February 2017 and again in March 2017 . Same when I crossed in September 2015 - people were injured and rescued, and the Napoleon route wasn't closed that day. The only indication not to go up was from Caroline at Bourricot Express. I live in the mountains, and still didn't know that in the Pyrenees at that elevation the winds would be so much worse than down below in town. The day in September 2015, people were sharing stories that they'd seen or heard about evacuations and injuries, but it was hard to get any comprehensive information and I saw nothing online afterwards. That day, many turned back at Hunto and most who tried to go up the hill just after Hunto had to come back down because nobody could move forward into the wind. Twenty of us at least were huddled against an embankment for almost an hour because it was so hard to stand. If I find anything, will post it. So far just seeing old posts about the more recent ones (in French) that aren't specifically about the route Napoleon from Sudouest.fr. I'm so sorry that you and others were in that situation.

Shston, it's really alarming and difficult, I know. They had 146K/hr winds there a couple of days ago (the day you crossed), in February 2017 and again in March 2017 . Same when I crossed in September 2015 - people were injured and rescued, and the Napoleon route wasn't closed that day. The only indication not to go up was from Caroline at Bourricot Express. I live in the mountains, and still didn't know that in the Pyrenees at that elevation the winds would be so much worse than down below in town. The day in September 2015, people were sharing stories that they'd seen or heard about evacuations and injuries, but it was hard to get any comprehensive information and I saw nothing online afterwards. That day, many turned back at Hunto and most who tried to go up the hill just after Hunto had to come back down because nobody could move forward into the wind. Twenty of us at least were huddled against an embankment for almost an hour because it was so hard to stand. If I find anything, will post it. So far just seeing old posts about the more recent ones (in French) that aren't specifically about the route Napoleon from Sudouest.fr. I'm so sorry that you and others were in that situation.
I got picked up and blown several feet twice before the snow and rain began. I had visited the pilgrims office evening before and knew to expect rain and snow, but that wind! Thanks so very much!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I started my Camino from SJPdP on the 13th April 2015 and the walk up to Orisson was beautiful. We overnighted at Orisson and continued on the next day. The weather was fine until we got a little bit higher and then the winds became horrendous. We saw trekking poles blown out of peoples hands, hats blown off heads, at some points people were unable to walk forward and were able to just lean into the wind and hold their position on the hillside. There was an American mother Carol walking with her grown-up son Tim that we had talked with and shared a drink in Orisson who were split up and seeing Tim on his own I enquired about his mother. "She's turned round and is getting a taxi to Roncevalles."
When I met up with her at Roncesvalles I ribbed her gently about being a bit of a softie. She said that she'd managed to get the cost of a taxi down a little bit by convincing a few others to turn round too and shared the cost of the taxi. Carol did the right thing. Instead of pushing on and failing, requiring others to come to her rescue, she realised that things were getting too tough and made her own way to safety.
Just goes to show that it ain't just the snow that you have to worry about crossing the Pyrenees.

I started my Camino from SJPdP on the 13th April 2015 and the walk up to Orisson was beautiful. We overnighted at Orisson and continued on the next day. The weather was fine until we got a little bit higher and then the winds became horrendous. We saw trekking poles blown out of peoples hands, hats blown off heads, at some points people were unable to walk forward and were able to just lean into the wind and hold their position on the hillside. There was an American mother Carol walking with her grown-up son Tim that we had talked with and shared a drink in Orisson who were split up and seeing Tim on his own I enquired about his mother. "She's turned round and is getting a taxi to Roncevalles."
When I met up with her at Roncesvalles I ribbed her gently about being a bit of a softie. She said that she'd managed to get the cost of a taxi down a little bit by convincing a few others to turn round too and shared the cost of the taxi. Carol did the right thing. Instead of pushing on and failing, requiring others to come to her rescue, she realised that things were getting too tough and made her own way to safety.
Just goes to show that it ain't just the snow that you have to worry about crossing the Pyrenees.

I'll second that! I walked that day with you, and recall we all looked a little shell shocked in the bar at Roncesvalles from that breeze. Following my wife up the pass, I laughed at one point how silly she looked walking sidewise........until I realized that everybody including me was doing the same thing.

Hi - I am walking the camino for first time. Will arrive in SJPdP at noon on Tuesday May 16th. I have reservation at Orisson that evening - in order for me to make it there before 5ish what would be a reasonable time I should leave to walk there? Thanks for any advise!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you are in reasonably good shape walking up hills, you will make it easily. Stop in at the Pilgrim office and check the weather first. Get your passport stamped. Have a bite to eat. Head up the hill. Most people can do this in around two hours. If you are older, or have done little training, it might take three hours. Its a short walk, about 8 Km, but very steep, and most people find that its quite a climb. Its almost all road, with a couple of short "scrambles" up a rocky trail. Its also beautiful. We left at about 2:00 PM and got into Orisson a little after 4.....

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back