• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Outraged

GraemeHall

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés 2017/18; Portugués 2019
I don't know where else to express this, so here goes.
I'm currently a pilgrim on Via de la Plata/Sanabrés. I won't say where I am but let's just say nearing Ourense. There seem to be very few people on the route (avoiding words such as pilgrim).
But there is a small group of men from the host country who "rule the roost" - somehow always arrive first, put hand-written "Reservada Español" notes on beds for the rest of the gang. OK - it's their country. I've been in the same albergus as them for the past few nights. They refuse every offer to share cheese, wine etc and stick together.
But tonight, in this very nice albergue: both male toilet cubicles were occupied (one by me); one of this group was banging on the doors and calling out. Having finished my reason for being there I hurried and left. And there he was, in full view, using the shower as a urinal!
I was really disgusted and in whatever Spanish I could muster called it out. Got the look and the middle finger.
As an aside, there are no women in the albergue tonight so there were other options.
I'm sorry - this post probably breaks several Forum rules, but I have to get it off my chest or I won't sleep

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm currently a pilgrim on Via de la Plata/Sanabrés. I won't say where I am but let's just say nearing Ourense. There seem to be very few people on the route (avoiding words such as pilgrim).
But there is a small group of men from the host country who "rule the roost" - somehow always arrive first, put hand-written "Reservada Español" notes on beds for the rest of the gang. OK - it's their country. I've been in the same albergus as them for the past few nights. They refuse every offer to share cheese, wine etc and stick together.
But tonight, in this very nice albergue: both male toilet cubicles were occupied (one by me); one of this group was banging on the doors and calling out. Having finished my reason for being there I hurried and left. And there he was, in full view, using the shower as a urinal!
I was really disgusted and in whatever Spanish I could muster called it out. Got the look and the middle finger.
As an aside, there are no women in the albergue tonight so there were other options.
I'm sorry - this post probably breaks several Forum rules, but I have to get it off my chest or I won't sleep
If I were you I’d take a day off and let them get ahead. The showers might smell a bit; but it might be more bearable.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Only one thing to do: Tomorrow, make either a very short or very long day, and you won't see them again. Consider it a very well deserved rest day for yourself, in more than one meaning.
Exactly this. Don't let them spoil your Camino experience.

What about hospitaleros on site? Do they let them put handwritten reservation notes on the beds? I assume things will change a bit after Ourense, but I wouldn't count on it. It all sounds very unpleasant.

It's not about me, really. Tomorrow I have booked to stay in a hotel and enjoy a special city, and I don't think they are the type to take a longer detour to a monastery.
So hopefully I won't see them again. But that said, surely nothing can condone such behaviour. Why should I change my itinerary. ..oh, I'm over it.

I completely understand and sympathise with you. By sheer coincidence, tonight I posted this in another thread, which also may help you:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once, on the Via de la Plata, there was an old Scottish couple walking same length as me each day, ending up in the same albergues as me. Each morning, he got up at 3.30 AM, noisily, made a lot of noise in the nearby kitchen, and at 4.30 AM he walked into the dorm, and shouted: "Tea is ready, my dear!" At 8 AM, when the last pilgrims started walking, they were having coffee in the kitchen.

After 3 nights, I stopped early in a bar, and watched them walk by and into the distance. I then went to the albergue, making it a short day. I never saw them again until Santiago.

A God exists; sometimes, He just needs a little help.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Only one thing to do: Tomorrow, make either a very short or very long day, and you won't see them again. Consider it a very well deserved rest day for yourself, in more than one meaning.
This. Take a rest day.

And use it to complain via hospitalero channels about this outrageous behaviour.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For the fun of it:

Imagine tomorrow, staying in a comfortable hotel room, with peace and quiet, relaxing completely, while at some other place, there are someone who has to take a leak in a shower, banging on doors for a shared toilet seat, having to stick name labels on a bed in fear of not getting it, while you, after a quiet visit to your own toilet, sink into your own bath tub, calling room service for a bottle of red, before entering the restaurant for a delicious private meal (and another bottle of red), and then sink into and rest in total quietness in a comfortable bed, before walking on the next day(s) in peace, and meeting only nice people (AKA pilgrims)....

Heck, I think I'll come over and join you!

Last edited:
I'd be outraged too @GraemeHall...these types of behaviours (incl @alexwalker's experience) are one of the reasons leading me to seek private accommodation.

I can't help wondering though, if there's some 'mob mentality' going on here. Would the members of the group be so arrogant as individual/solo travellers? Would they be as emboldened & act so entitled? Hmm... 🤔

Enjoy the rest of your walk...& let's hope your paths don't cross again!
Happy trails.
👣🌏

Last edited:
I completely understand and sympathise with you. By sheer coincidence, tonight I posted this in another thread, which also may help you:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once, on the Via de la Plata, there was an old Scottish couple walking same length as me each day, ending up in the same albergues as me. Each morning, he got up at 3.30 AM, noisily, made a lot of noise in the nearby kitchen, and at 4.30 AM he walked into the dorm, and shouted: "Tea is ready, my dear!" At 8 AM, when the last pilgrims started walking, they were having coffee in the kitchen.

After 3 nights, I stopped early in a bar, and watched them walk by and into the distance. I then went to the albergue, making it a short day. I never saw them again until Santiago.

A God exists; sometimes, He just needs a little help.
There's more to this story:

When I entered Santiago, I stopped at a bar on the entrance to town (I normally stop there) for a cold beer. The Scottish couple came in and sat down at the next table.
I walked to the bus station to take a ride to Finisterre. The Scottish guy was standing in the line behind me.
I went to the toilet at the bus station for a leak. The Scottish guy was standing in the line behind me.
I entered the bus. The Scottish couple was seated behind me.
The day after, I took the bus back to Santiago. The Scottish couple was sitting in front of me.

Next day, I was taking the train to Barcelona for a flight back home. I was sh*t scared, but the Scottish couple was not on the train.

Spooky...

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What excellent advice you’ve been offered by caring folks here. What you can’t control is their behaviors, as it currently stands, so you change yours so as to avoid them in future albergues. What I try to keep in mind is that not everyone who walks a Camino is a pilgrim. If that were the case, none of us would have to worry about being victimized in albergues by those who choose to steal from others. It’s hard to understand some people’s reasons or motivations for even making the journey. As said above, don’t let them ruin your Camino. You do have control over that. Enjoy rest of your Camino.

I’m really sorry to hear about this experience that you have had. Great advice from the previous responders to your post…. I’d be taking a day off or walking a short or long day if possible, in order to avoid these guys. It’s interesting how, no matter how many times it happens, this sort of behaviour always seems to shock and surprise me….

Hopefully the rest of your camino is a much more joyous experience.

Buen camino!

When I entered Santiago, I stopped at a bar on the entrance to town (I normally stop there) for a cold beer. The Scottish couple came in and sat down at the next table.
I walked to the bus station to take a ride to Finisterre. The Scottish guy was standing in the line behind me.
I went to the toilet at the bus station for a leak. The Scottish guy was standing in the line behind me.
The day after, I took the bus back to Santiago. The Scottish couple was sitting in front of me.

Next day, I was taking the train to Santiago for a flight back home. I was sh*t scared, but the Scottish couple was not on the train.

Spooky...

You got away scott free.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I second this. Anytime I am around people that are making my Camino less peaceful - I change my pace, and walk further or shorter than a normal stage and find an off stage place to stay. There is no reason to stay in the same places as a rowdy or rude group. You could even take a rest day to ensure they are a full day ahead of you if that means you get to enjoy the Camino more.

A decade or so ago i drove otr.
You go a certain speed and a kind of stratification happened and you end up traveling with obnoxious souls for hours.

AS advised above, turn right down the scenic route
Stop and create time and space
90 deg turns make joy sometimes

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Next day, I was taking the train to Santiago for a flight back home. I was sh*t scared, but the Scottish couple was not on the train.

Spooky...
Something wicked this way comes... 😯 🤭
👣🌏

Next day, I was taking the train to Barcelona for a flight back home. I was sh*t scared, but the Scottish couple was not on the train.

Spooky...
Have you considered they were MI5 and they thought you were in an international Compostela dealer? Are you an international Compostela Dealer?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have you considered they were MI5 and they thought you were in an international Compostela dealer? Are you an international Compostela Dealer?
They didn't get it. Still dealing Credencials & Compostelas halfway, Sahagun area. Good business off tired pilgrims.

What about hospitaleros on site? Do they let them put handwritten reservation notes on the beds? I assume things will change a bit after Ourense, but I wouldn't count on it. It all sounds very unpleasant.
An Italian fellow showed up wanting to reserve eight beds for him and his seven buddies. I asked him where are they—"they're on the way." I said they could reserve their own beds when they arrive. He didn't argue, maybe because my Italian isn't very good, and checked himself in. No "buddies" ever arrived.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would have cried. Or, exploded and punched him. Really, neither good options.

I express it in my blog! I sympathise. I have been in this position many times. In my extensive camino experience I’ve found groups of men to be ignorant or maybe just uncaring of those around them. When I encounter one of a group alone they can be charm personified but when they number four compañeros they are always best avoided. I realise this is an absolute generalisation but it is absolutely my experience.

From my blog - also whilst walking the VdlP
…. I have a gripe to share. Men and bathrooms! Why do they have to make such a mess with the water. I have now shared enough bathrooms with various male pilgrims to see a very clear pattern. They splash water on their faces in the morning and it ends up on the floor. Not a little bit, but a lot. This morning I was minding my own business tying up my hair when a (Spanish) guy entered and used the loo directly behind me and left the door open. Why?? I quickly pushed the door closed on him whilst he finished his ‘business’, but then he emerged and took up a position at the basin next to me and continued to vigorously splash water over his face, at the same time splashing the floor and also splashing me. Not good manners by anyone’s standards. In general I have found that groups of men walking together are not very inclusive of others – they go about their business as if no-one else exists. I was very glad this morning when this group of four busily passed me early in the day and were then out of my sight for the rest of my day.

Last edited:
I must admit I am somewhat enjoying this thread. It reminds me of the time on the Francés when I had to deal with my companion’s ire after she witnessed a peregrino use a toilet in an albergue. Not only did he not flush the toilet, but he left the bathroom without washing his hands. 🤣

€46,-
It's sad, but many people simply do not have class.

I hope you follow the suggestion of others and let them move forward so you do not cross paths. As my mother once shared, sometimes God puts obstacles in front of us to slow us down and to save us from something dreadful (like being stuck behind a slow driver on the highway who prevents us from being in an accident ahead). Maybe God also wants to slow you down so you can be an angel to someone behind you.

Buen Camino!

I once was staying at a hotel in Leon that had rooms around a U-shaped courtyard.
I was looking out my 2nd story window in the morning, and a guy in a room across from me was peeing out his window into the courtyard.
Maybe it's a cultural thing.. but I never stayed there again.

Suggestions to slow down or speed up are the best I saw here.
Nothing much more you can do.

I once was staying at a hotel in Leon that had rooms around a U-shaped courtyard.
I was looking out my 2nd story window in the morning, and a guy in a room across from me was peeing out his window into the courtyard.
Maybe it's a cultural thing.. but I never stayed there again.

Suggestions to slow down or speed up are the best I saw here.
Nothing much more you can do.
Perhaps avoid a ground-floor room?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Isn’t it sad that if you put Fonda into all these modern search engines you get actors or parardors but you don’t get the old fashioned Inns where you parked your mule on the ground floor and p**sed on it’s back from the balcony. Was a time that access to the dry straw on the upper levels reflected your elevation from the poor b@ggers who could only afford to sleep with the mules

Isn’t it sad that if you put Fonda into all these modern search engines you get actors or parardors but you don’t get the old fashioned Inns where you parked your mule on the ground floor and p**sed on it’s back from the balcony. Was a time that access to the dry straw on the upper levels reflected your elevation from the poor b@ggers who could only afford to sleep with the mules
Some of the pubs round here are a bit old-fashioned and I suspect that the occasional Porsche which turns up for our village’s renowned 3* restaurant leaves the carpark with a fair selection of local DNA on the driver’s door handle, but even the locals wouldn’t urinate on their own mule.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I find that in such outrageous circumstances, pointing and laughing at the perpetrator works wonders.
I’m just guessing here, Mycroft, that you identify as male. Pointing and laughing might not be a wise strategy for a solo pilgrim. As Margaret Atwood wisely noted, “men are afraid women will laugh at them. Women are afraid men will kill them.”

Hi Graeme - have these past few albergues you’ve all stayed in been Municipals? If so, perhaps avoid them for a couple of days after you have your hotel stay in Ourense, if you can, by staying at private albergues. These selfish, obnoxious people might only be staying in munis and if you don’t see them for those couple of nights it might be a reasonable bet that they are only staying in munis.

I hope you don’t see them again.

Enjoy the hotel in Ourense and have a great visit to the spas if you decide to do that. And enjoy the Galician food!

Cheers from Sydney -
Jenny

Last edited:
An Italian fellow showed up wanting to reserve eight beds for him and his seven buddies. I asked him where are they—"they're on the way." I said they could reserve their own beds when they arrive. He didn't argue, maybe because my Italian isn't very good, and checked himself in. No "buddies" ever arrived.
The Italian was probably trying to ensure that the very loud snorer he had encountered the night before didn't stay there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just want to say that I have never ever encountered boorish behaviour on the Camino. I’m in Cacabelos at the moment, and mostly stay in private accommodation. The big difference this year, compared to previous Caminos, are the very large groups of cyclists. I wish they would stay on the roads instead of getting in the way of peregrinos on narrow trails.

I just want to say that I have never ever encountered boorish behaviour on the Camino. I’m in Cacabelos at the moment, and mostly stay in private accommodation. The big difference this year, compared to previous Caminos, are the very large groups of cyclists. I wish they would stay on the roads instead of getting in the way of peregrinos on narrow trails.
I won't say never, but almost. Never had a problem with bicyclists—all those that passed me announced their approach before doing so. But I did encounter a large group of Italians walking side-by-side filling up the entire width of a car sized road and seemingly thought I would leave the road to let them maintain their formation. I didn't and they finally had to break formation to get past me.

€46,-
I express it in my blog! I sympathise. I have been in this position many times. In my extensive camino experience I’ve found groups of men to be ignorant or maybe just uncaring of those around them. When I encounter one of a group alone they can be charm personified but when they number four compañeros they are always best avoided. I realise this is an absolute generalisation but it is absolutely my experience.

From my blog - also whilst walking the VdlP
…. I have a gripe to share. Men and bathrooms! Why do they have to make such a mess with the water. I have now shared enough bathrooms with various male pilgrims to see a very clear pattern. They splash water on their faces in the morning and it ends up on the floor. Not a little bit, but a lot. This morning I was minding my own business tying up my hair when a (Spanish) guy entered and used the loo directly behind me and left the door open. Why?? I quickly pushed the door closed on him whilst he finished his ‘business’, but then he emerged and took up a position at the basin next to me and continued to vigorously splash water over his face, at the same time splashing the floor and also splashing me. Not good manners by anyone’s standards. In general I have found that groups of men walking together are not very inclusive of others – they go about their business as if no-one else exists. I was very glad this morning when this group of four busily passed me early in the day and were then out of my sight for the rest of my day.
Was reminded of the morning routine from the 13th Warrior movie of a sudden...

Ha! I just found a video clip 🤢
I don’t generally laugh at videos/movies when I’m alone - BUT I’m at home 🏠 having a quiet morning coffee, catching up on ‘the forum’. and I’m ‘in stitches ‘

Gee - thanks @Magwood That belly laughing has made me feel so good. Perhaps they actually did this? Who knows - but although it’s disgusting - just watching the reactions was so funny to me.

Edit : apologies to Graeme @GraemeHall
I don’t want to make light of your experience. I have encountered similar once myself. I hope you’ve only found good days since posting.
Buen camino.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers
If you’re walking the Camino Portugues right now I’d recommend you avoid the complementario route into Pontevedra. While it is quiet and green and follows the river, it’s also a muddy mess. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back