A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Overnight in La Faba but also go to Pilgrim's Mass in O Cebreiro

Bob Howard

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2016
Frances 2018
This is a bit of an oddball question, and I did a search on the Forum but didn't see anything. As many of you know, there is a rather wonderful, and often moving, Pilgrims Mass in Cebreiro at the Church of Santa Maria.

So, if one were to stay in La Faba, is there a way to get a ride after arrival at La Faba to O Cebreiro for the Church of Santa Maria Pilgrims Mass and then return to La Faba. Wonder if there would be taxis operating up there? Maybe even hitchhike. It's about a 15 minute drive.

Leibniz

Peregrina
Camino(s) past & future
Frances from Astorga (2018)
Frances/Invierno from SJPP (2019)
You’ll find a local taxi. Just ask at your albergue or hotel at La Faba and they’ll get you a number or even call it for you.

Chances are you’ll spot the number yourself on a poster before you even ask.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2019
This is a bit of an oddball question, and I did a search on the Forum but didn't see anything. As many of you know, there is a rather wonderful, and often moving, Pilgrims Mass in Cebreiro at the Church of Santa Maria.

So, if one were to stay in La Faba, is there a way to get a ride after arrival at La Faba to O Cebreiro for the Church of Santa Maria Pilgrims Mass and then return to La Faba. Wonder if there would be taxis operating up there? Maybe even hitchhike. It's about a 15 minute drive.
I'm glad that you asked because otherwise I might have missed the mass and it sounds like a good experience. I'll be there tonight now thanks to your question.

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
Why not continue to O'Cebreiro? I can remember a wonderful pilgrims dinner in a local Pub and afterwards there was celtic life music with bagpipes etc.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Why not continue to O'Cebreiro?
Maybe because La Faba is a magical place? I found it so anyway; it's much quieter than O Cebreiro, which has a busier and more touristic buzz. And the albergue next to the church is so lovely.

norelle

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2011 April, 2014 March) San Salvador, Primitivo, Finisterre, Muxia (June 2015) Del Norte (Sept/Oct 2016)
Maybe because La Faba is a magical place? I found it so anyway; it's much quieter than O Cebreiro, which has a busier and more touristic buzz. And the albergue next to the church is so lovely.
O Cebreiro is also a magical place later in the day when the tourist buses leave. Beautiful sunset!

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Back in 2017 having overnighted at Trabadelo we were in La Faba at around 11.00 and O'Cebreiro for lunch at 13.00. If pushed I would recommend O Çebreiro given its historical association with the Camino.

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
Yes, I like this albergue, which is run by a german pilgrims association. Sometimes there is mass or an evening prayer at the church in La Faba, too.

I do not really see the point in sleeping at La Faba but driving to a distant place to go to mass. Only few pilgrims who stayed at La Faba overnight attended the religious services which were offered in the nearby church, which is a pitty.

After 5 o'clock in the afternoon O'Cebreiro became a quiet place too. So it is in the early morning hours (but then it is unlikely that you will find the church open).

I think you have to take a decision and not try to pick the raisins out of the cake.

Bob Howard

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2016
Frances 2018
I overnighted in O Cebreiro on both my previous caminos. And yes, it is atmospheric and charming. But I'm trying to break out of the Villafranca del Bierzo to O Cebriero stage I have done previously.

tpmchugh

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Camino Frances (2015)
You’ll find a local taxi. Just ask at your albergue or hotel at La Faba and they’ll get you a number or even call it for you.

Chances are you’ll spot the number yourself on a poster before you even ask.
Met a guy in A Faba waiting for his taxi. He was sitting outside the local café and said the lady who owned it phoned for him. He was not going to Mass, just too tired to make the final walk so it was early afternoon. Dont know what kind of service you will get later on but a taxi is a definite possibility

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sept 2017
Camino Frances Sept 2020
I highly recommend the Albergue, Refugio in La Faba. Only 9 beds, amazing organic, vegetarian meals and a wonderful communal dinner.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 154 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 254 24.9%