• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack and footwear validation

Anton

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello fellow camino pilgrims,

I'm a mere month and a half from departing for my CF trek. Very, very exciting! I've reached the point of simply needing to poll the group about my pack and footwear selections (AKA: receive validation LOL).
I believe the Gregory Z40 pack will be enough for the whole trek and prevent overpacking. I considered a 45-50L bag, but I believe the quality of the Gregory pack and the massive wonderful reviews (both here and online) make me comfortable about moving forward with this pack.
My real conundrum, and as I've read in the forums, the conundrum of many others, has to do with footwear...I certainly understand that this is a very personal choice and each person's feet respond differently to different footwear. I've limited my choices to a solid trail sneaker like the Brooks Puregrit and a more substantial trail shoe like the Salomon XA 3D. My inquiry is whether people have walked in shoes like the Brooks and/or the Salomons and whether people have had positive/negative experiences?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use the Saucony Peregrine 5 which is the same type shoe as the Brooks Puregrit. My feet absolutely love them. Good luck with your decision. Sorry I can't help with the pack. I use a Talon 22 (which holds 20 liters in the small size I wear) and it still has room left over with all of my stuff inside.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm a mere month and a half from departing for my CF trek
I suggest you buy both, from a place that will happily accept returns. Maybe even buy 2 sizes for each. Go to a big mall with indoor walking and walk briskly with them on - wearing two the same, switching feet, wearing one of each, going back to an earlier combo. After an hour you might have a preference. If in doubt between 2 sizes, get the larger one. Then if you have bought from REI or another place with satisfaction guaranteed, take that pair out on a real walk.

People have used all types of shoes/boots with success and failure for all types! Only YOUR preference matters. For September, you don't need any special consideration for weather, so your walking comfort is the only factor.

But I'd urge you to do this soon!

Thank you C...what a great recommendation for trialing shoes. I was at REI this past Friday trying on shoes.

In fact, you will feel quite stupid, sitting on a bench in the mall to change your shoes and tuck the tags inside so they don't flap around. (You might even feel defensive and want to tell onlookers that you HAVE paid for the shoes!) You will of course be wearing a backpack with all the other shoes being tested!

You can also do something similar at REI, but I find it is hard to get the effect of good brisk strides inside the store. Just standing in the shoe department and taking a few thoughtful steps is not enough. Also, you may want to compare with a shoe that's only available in another store.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Love, love, love the Gregory pack. Went with the Z55 myself, just not enough difference weight-wise between it and the Z40 not to get the larger pack. At 3lbs it's a tad heavier than some ultra-lite packs, but the suspension system is fantastic. I've loaded it up to 30lbs when hiking for fitness and it carries like a charm. Shoe-wise I can't help you; I've got super wide feet and can't get into most hiking boots. That said, I did try a pair of Keen Targhee II Mid-highs and aside from being too narrow, they fit and felt like a New Balance athletic shoe. Really, super comfy and extremely lite. You might want to try a pair before you set your sights on another brand. Amazon has free shipping and free returns and every size imaginable.

Love love love my Salomon X Ultra which are not too different from the 3D ones. Light and quick drying but stable and comfortable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
nidarosa, thank you so much for your reply...I really think that's what I'm going to use on my Camino!

Cheers to you!

Footwear is the hardest thing IMO. And it is hard to prepare because who can replicate what happens when you walk day after day carrying a pack? This year I had New Balance shoes that I wore on my 12 km training walks. They seemed fine. They weren't. On Camino I developed massive blisters on the sides of my heels. My analysis is the New Balance are too wide for me at the heel base. Tightening the shoe does not fix the problem. Luckily I also had Ecco sandals, and was always open to the idea of walking in sandals - plenty of air, mud just washes off, comfort. They proved perfect for me.
Now I'm home I'm back into the New Balance - they are fine for stuff round here and they came back effectively still new! They look great, much classier than the Eccos.....

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.