• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack too heavy

Luz de Luna

Time of past OR future Camino
Francais 2016
Prortugues central/ coastal 2023
Hola fellow pilgrims, asking for a friend who is currently on the Norte. His pack is too heavy, can someone tell us how he would send the excess items home to Canada and the cos?. Alternatively, does a luggage transport company take packs to SDC and store them until the owner arrives in SDC?
Thank you in advance for your help.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can send it to Casa Ivar in Santiago and pick it up when you arrive.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for this information. He is not a member of this forum, can you please advise me how he can arrange this?
There's a link in this thread to contact Ivar. Alternatively, if your friend has things he will not want after his Camino, he can walk into any post office (Correos in larger towns or cities) and they will help pack the box, label it and mail it home.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hola fellow pilgrims, asking for a friend who is currently on the Norte. His pack is too heavy, can someone tell us how he would send the excess items home to Canada and the cos?. Alternatively, does a luggage transport company take packs to SDC and store them until the owner arrives in SDC?
You can buy boxes and packaging in Spanish Post Offices. I did this once to get rid of excess weight - worked very well on both fronts!!!

You can send it to Casa Ivar in Santiago and pick it up when you arrive.

IMHO this is the best choice. The cost of shipping items back to Canada will exceed the value of the items.

Send it ahead to Casa Ivar using the Correos - post office. It is relatively cheap, reliable and fast.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Donate your excess stuff, It can all be replaced. You can drink a lot of beer or wine for what it will cost to ship it home.

I had this situation last year . I was able to find the nearest post office and send all the excess in a box for shipment to the US without any problems. Was expensive though

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Would be cheapest to send and hold within Spain.

I posted some things - via Post Office -on the French Camino last year - they even provided packaging - and it was kept it for me at the main PO near the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. There were stacks of pilgrim suitcases being kept there too. https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/es/envio-maletas

Or send to Ivar.

Last edited:
As others have said, if your friend is going all the way to Santiago, send via correos to Ivar. If he is stopping before Santiago, he possibly can ship via Correos to the nearest post office of his final camino destination if it's less that 15 days away. They will hold it up to 15 days. Keep in mind that packages can't be picked up at the post office on Sundays. I learned the hard way. Lastly, shipping back to Canada would be expensive AND could take a while AND would require going through customs. Don't send anything via international post that your friend can't replace.

As others have said, if your friend is going all the way to Santiago, send via correos to Ivar. If he is stopping before Santiago, he possibly can ship via Correos to the nearest post office of his final camino destination if it's less that 15 days away. They will hold it up to 15 days. Keep in mind that packages can't be picked up at the post office on Sundays. I learned the hard way. Lastly, shipping back to Canada would be expensive AND could take a while AND would require going through customs. Don't send anything via international post that your friend can't replace.
The Correos website says the Paq Perigrino can be held at the Post Office for up to 45 days. https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/es/envio-maletas

The Correos website says the the Post Office in Santiago de C. is open every day - Monday to Sunday - from 1 March to 30 November (even though others along the route are just Mon-Fri)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Correos website says the Paq Perigrino can be held at the Post Office for up to 45 days. https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/es/envio-maletas

The Correos website says the the Post Office in Santiago de C. is open every day - Monday to Sunday - from 1 March to 30 November (even though others along the route are just Mon-Fri)
Right. When you send the package you need to tell them how long you want it held for, and there is an extra fee to hold it beyond 15 days.

Most read last week in this forum

We are cycling and are two people, currently in Santander. We ideally want to book a double room. However we are finding the prices shown on Gronze are sometimes substantially higher when we make...
We are about to start our first Camino tomorrow morning and, after much getting lost, we are relaxing on our very comfortable beds at Hotel Urdanibia Park. My question is, do we start from where...
I just want to share with you, This Friday I will be off to CDN. It's very special because I have cancelled it twice in the past due to events out of my control. This will be my first Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.