• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing List for a Successful Camino - 15 pound list

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's still way too heavy for the typical Camino for most users that walk between say April to September

Ten years ago, I started with a 40L pack on the Camino Frances - this year I did the Camino Norte with a 12L pack, the Gregory Miwok (women's version also available) - it weighs 1lb 30z not 3lbs for your 40L pack

I could go for a lighter pack but I like the back that reduces moisture transmission to my shirt, it can fit a bladder if wanted (water is the most vital necessity along with comfortable shoes) and it's robustly made (unlike my Lowe Apline 14L that preceeded it)

Given the 12L pack, the question is less about weight but more about volume - I have to go with a silk sleeping bag liner rather than a sleeping bag (but the liner is much cheaper than an equivalent warmth bag) - I then carry up to 2 x 1.5L of Aquarius plus chocolate inside plus 2 x 0.6L Sigg bottles outside

There's still some room left - for a rain jacket (either 100g of Berghaus or 250g of Haglofs - the latter is GoreTex pac-lite, the former is still pretty good) - for spare polyester shirt, underwear, socks, buff, hat, guidebooks (CSJ, Cicerone), Compeed and a few other things

More like 5-6 pounds plus liquid

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My own feeling is that the ultra lightweight packing is OK for June-September. April-May can still be cold and require more layers, or the space to carry them. My pack is a 25+5 and is only just big enough, total weight on a hot day is 6.25kg/6.5kg - including water. That extra 250gms is too much for my comfort but soon goes as I drink some of the water.
Chief guide is comfort and true need of what is in the pack.
@cebrianent is talking about summer walking when it could be OK without some items but earlier in the year the list looks good, although personally I prefer a poncho and fleece rather than a rain jacket. No sleeping bag or Crocs in my pack as there is not enough room so Terry carries them in his 40+5 pack. This year to save weight we had no bags and used private accomodation, but our basic kit came in (full weight) at 5.5kgs and 7kgs without water. Any less in early May and we would have been cold and miserable. By the end of May and just into June all the cold weather items were in the packs so we were carrying the full weight.
It is possible at times to have a pack that is too small as well as one that is too big.

Tia
On the cusp of the seasons, I might swap the spare polyester shirt for a Merino 260 wool one (on top of the Merino 140 wool one that I already bring), add a beany hat and thin gloves - and possibly Helly Hansen longjohns - that would all fit in my pack since I'd be needing less water - but your 25L+5 pack is already a much better starting point than the 40L ++ that too many first-time walkers carry
Mike

A selection of Camino Jewellery
but your 25L+5 pack is already a much better starting point than the 40L ++ that too many first-time walkers carry
Interesting point of view, but they are the sizes we still choose to carry. Terry has now carried his much loved 40+5 Berghaus on 4 caminos and me the equally loved 25+5 Berghaus on 3, plus walking to Covadonga from Santander. On my trial run in 2010 I had a 20lt Berghaus and it was far too small, I had a stuff bag strapped to its outside because things did not fit in it properly. I use it occasionally at home in summer but not for long days even. Note that we have always walked the Camino in the cooler months, but I would struggle with a smaller pack, and also find their fit is poor for me. Terry says the same about fit of packs - a 25+5 is OK round home, but he wouldn't walk with it on the Camino.
It should be possible IMO to fit everything into a 40+5 style, without having to go above that size.
It will be interesting to see other opinions as many try to get their packs ultra-light and seem to be happy with the result. I use a Sea to Summit bag round town after a days walk but find it sweaty on my back, so again would not use it as my main bag as I prefer an air-gap style.

I admit my sea to summit bag is full to capacity with my rain jacket (also bin liner to go over my shorts) and sandals in as well as everything else. Yes it does cause sweating, but I do that anyway? But for a weight of only 3.2 k to ease the load on this ageing body? I do however carry my two 500 ml aluminium bottles on carabiners attached to my belt. I tried this latest system out on the Ingles recently and was delighted with the outcome. I must emphasise that I only walk May to September and use a silk liner not a bag.

For an October-November camino soon to begin, my Osprey Talon 33 (31 L in the smaller size) is filled pretty much to capacity, with just under 6 kg of gear on a typical day, excluding water. I could, only through heroic efforts, reduce by 300 g by getting rid of my mini-umbrella (150 g), silk scarf (30 g) and 2 stuff bag organizers (120 g). Otherwise any reduction would mean I wouldn't be comfortable or adequately prepared.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I do however carry my two 500 ml aluminium bottles on carabiners attached to my belt. I tried this latest system out on the Ingles recently and was delighted with the outcome.
Hi Al
Where do you attach them? On the front, side or back?
I ask because I couldn't get used to the bouncey bounce.
I finally settled on two 500ml refillable plastic water bottles which I keep in the side cargo pockets of my zip-off trousers.
Although initially feeling a bit strange I find within half an hour I have become accustomed to them and they are not uncomfortable or annoying.

As an aside, last Camino I replaced one with a narrow 500ml thermos. I thought to make a cuppa before I left each morning to have on the wayside after an hours walking. Then, when empty fill at lunchtime cafe with water and a little ice for the afternoons walk. How good would that be! Another great idea of Gerard's!
Being a late summer/autumn Frances walker I found I didn't need a cuppa as I usually had brekky at a cafe within an hour of starting anyway, plus it was another 10 mins messing about before leaving the albergue in the morning, and the ice thing was only a little unnecessary luxury. And tea bags and milk to carry or mess about finding.
Another bright idea failure of Gerard's!
TIA for your advice.
Regds
Gerard

My plan re: water bottles (if I ever get to the Camino Frances ?!) is to use the front "pouches" of my Aarn backpack for this.

And yes, Gerard, the Aarn backpack is from New Zealand!
(http://www.aarnpacks.com/#!featherlite-freedom/c1cfl)

The front pouches with 500ml of water in each, as part of the Aarn principle of equalling front and back weights with all resting on waist/hips not shoulders, will help, with other items, to make this happen.

With the water bottles combined with the SmartTube system (I think it was Wayfarer who suggested this: http://www.bluedesert.co.il/images/SmarTubeNew_S.pdf) strikes me as a near perfect solution to the "on the move" hydration problem.

Well SWINGER :))), I understand about the bouncing thing. I wear them slightly to the front of side. I have looked for some sort of holster type attachment to hold them steadier but without success. For me it is a small price to pay for the trade of in a smaller pack. I have tried the pocket thing but it doesn't work comfort wise for me. I wonder if you can get pistol shaped water bottles then I could get a gun holster? I am exploring none round shapes at the moment. (Well it's something to while away in-between times, isn't it?) Maybe I should just get a butler? :rolleyes:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I admit my sea to summit bag is full to capacity with my rain jacket (also bin liner to go over my shorts) and sandals in as well as everything else. Yes it does cause sweating, but I do that anyway? But for a weight of only 3.2 k to ease the load on this ageing body? I do however carry my two 500 ml aluminium bottles on carabiners attached to my belt. I tried this latest system out on the Ingles recently and was delighted with the outcome. I must emphasise that I only walk May to September and use a silk liner not a bag.
My actual load then is approximately the same as yours Al as my bottles are in my pack side-pockets. My pack weight gives me an extra kilo and I also had my medication and mini paint set to add in. I sweat more with the pack against my back so walk better with the air-frame type.
At present we are enjoying walking with just a fleece, water and waterproofs, but still the frame packs, and next year that is all we will need to carry as we become car-egrinos :)

My plan is to use the front "pouches" of my Aarn backpack for this.
And yes, Gerard, the Aarn backpack is from New Zealand!
The front pouches with 500ml of water in each, as part of the Aarn principle of equalling front and back weights
So your suggestion to solve my water problem is to buy a new pack. A really expensive one from Kiwiland?
Then again I may be able to afford one if the All Blacks beat England in the World Cup Rugby final as my bet will provide the finance.
Regds
Gerard

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
May sound unpatriotic but if the All Blacks don't defeat England I will, quite frankly, be absolutely astonished!

But but but
In the unlikely event of that happening and your bet failing
the answer is
for you to publish your anecdotes in book format.

Financial security and a fat bank account guaranteed!

All I can say to that is that miracles have happened before Japan beat the Springboks and no doubt it wasn't the last one. ;)
Watch the next match. The brother of my brother- in-law will hopefully be on the paddock. Koli Holani. One of the Tongan Japanese.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
He's the regular No 8 but got injured so has been out. My BIL Soa is in the squad too but in the spares at home. My other BIL was in the last RWC playing for Manu Samoa but missed selection. Could have been really interesting having two BILs playing each other in the same group. Mind you, the All Blacks will win. (And yes, I used an Aarn pack on my camino :))

Most read last week in this forum

So….. we had 1 inch of rain here at home in a 4 hour period. We found it and opportunity to test our packs/setup. We hiked 12 miles in pure downpour. We both wore shorts and no pack covers as mine...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...
I’m walking the Frances in late Oct thru November. Is a 55L osprey too large in your opinion? Thx is for suggestions. Frank
Dear all, as I intent to bring a tent I would be very grateful if you could share some of your tips on how to keep the total weight down or even your own packing list. Currently I am about to...
I have a pacemaker on my left upper chest, right where a backpack strap goes. I am considering using a large messenger bag, approximately 20 litres, and a small hip pack, less than 5 litres...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.