• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona 9 July

thetravellingpen

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2014
Hi
I'm flying in to Madrid on 9 July arriving 1:35pm, then hoping to get a bus to Pamplona. I see this is during festival time, will it be impossible to get a bed for the night? By the time I get to Pamplona it will be too late to start walking.
Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, and yes.;)

See booking.com for bed availability. Jesus y Maria is closed. Paderborn will fill by noon. Hotels are pretty much booked by now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cizur Menor is about 5km from the center of town (about the same from the airport). Zariquiegui is about 11km from the center of Pamplona, but has only 16 beds. Cizur Menor (75 beds) will fill quickly.

Found on Booking.com that this place still has beds, any comments? And anyone know how long the bus takes from Madrid airport to Pamplona?
Hostal Rural Haizea

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you're up to doing 11k at the end of the day, or even take a taxi, see if these people will hold a room, http://www.laposadadeardogi.com/, I stayed there and it's a great place, early trek up to Alto de Perdon. BTW the picture was taken just outside Cizur Minor, just under 1/2 of the way.

Hostal Rural Haizea is back toward the French border from Pamplona. If you are starting in Pamplona to head for Santiago, Espinal is the wrong direction, and you will be back in Pamplona in a couple of days.

The bus is five to six and one-half hours Madrid to Pamplona.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is also the albergue in Trinidad de Arre, some kms before Pamplona (I saw urban buses there). Easy to find, just go to the old bridge. 34 places, phone 948 33 29 41. Lodging in "San Fermines" is tough and expensive. I suppose hospitaleros give a skeptical eye to would-be pilgrims. So, it may be better to get the credencial in advance.
Ah, and advice. If you see lots of people dressed in white, going toward you as fast as they can....run! :)

I'd consider the train instead of the bus.
So if I land in Madrid at 1:45pm, is there enough time to get to Pamplona? I've found a place I'm considering booking today before it fills up, but want to make sure I'll make it there before they close for the night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You will be in Pamplona at 2015 on the bus from the airport with enough time to get to a local hotel. By taxi, you can be almost anywhere in the greater Pamplona region.

You will be in Pamplona at 2015 on the bus from the airport with enough time to get to a local hotel. By taxi, you can be almost anywhere in the greater Pamplona region.
So is there a direct bus from Madrid airport to Pamplona? Would it be necessary to book in advance? Sorry for all the questions, but there seems to be conflicting info out there!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So is there a direct bus from Madrid airport to Pamplona? Would it be necessary to book in advance? Sorry for all the questions, but there seems to be conflicting info out there!
Long distance buses in Spain are just that - it's a very long distance between rest stops - read rest rooms - a watermellon sized bladder helps and no liquid refreshment before or during travel - you have been forewarned!

Long distance buses in Spain are just that - it's a very long distance between rest stops - read rest rooms - a watermellon sized bladder helps and no liquid refreshment before or during travel - you have been forewarned!
I'm from Africa and I live in Asia -- I'm not scared of roughing it!
So if I arrive on a 1:45pm flight, do you think bus or train is the best way to get to Pamplona? I've just booked a place in Pamplona for that night, so now I better get there!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transportation: train to Pamplona is about 3-4 hrs, including a connection. You need to go to Atocha station, Madrid downtwon, by metro; estimate 1 hr more
The bus company is Alsa; look for Aeropuerto Madrid - T4 on its webpage http://www.alsa.es . Time to Pamplona is more or less 5 hrs, so to you it may be the same that train, average, just easier. Just check up horaires, becauses some buses make more stops. On the other side, train is more enjoyable, and Madrid is beautiful...

Transportation: train to Pamplona is about 3-4 hrs, including a connection. You need to go to Atocha station, Madrid downtwon, by metro; estimate 1 hr more
The bus company is Alsa; look for Aeropuerto Madrid - T4 on its webpage http://www.alsa.es . Time to Pamplona is more or less 5 hrs, so to you it may be the same that train, average, just easier. Just check up horaires, becauses some buses make more stops. On the other side, train is more enjoyable, and Madrid is beautiful...
. I'll enjoy Madrid for a day or 2 after the Camino, as flying out from there again. Is there enough time to make the train? All the sites seem to be in Spanish, so battling to make head or tail of them at this stage. Looked at flight price to Pamplona, but just too expensive.
OK, and when arriving in Pamplona, which is easier, bus or train, to get to the city centre.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bus it is as it's just more simple after a long trip from Thailand and arriving at night. Have credential already. What's the name of the bus company that leaves from the airport? Is it direct or is there a change over?

It is an ALSA bus, and it goes directly. It may originate in downtown Madrid, so it may have some passengers. The bus bays are grouped together, but it seems fairly random as to which one will have the Pamplona bus. Sometimes it feels like they have never operated a bus before even though they have operated a dozen a day for decades! You ask where the bus leaves from, and get a shoulder shrug...

It is an ALSA bus, and it goes directly. It may originate in downtown Madrid, so it may have some passengers. The bus bays are grouped together, but it seems fairly random as to which one will have the Pamplona bus. Sometimes it feels like they have never operated a bus before even though they have operated a dozen a day for decades! You ask where the bus leaves from, and get a shoulder shrug...
Lovely! So i will try book that then. I like the sound of a train but this direct bus sounds simpler. Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I like the sound of a train
Train is always more comfortable, but the small town stations have largely been abandoned, and replaced by bus service. Since the market did not support train operations to small towns, the new trains are long distance, high speed trains between large cities with no stops in between. I think the concept is to compete with airplanes, but I am betting that it won't work. For example, the Burgos train station is as far from the city center as the airport, so it really is less convenient than the old one downtown. The high speed trains are running well below capacity as travelers continue to use their automobiles.

Train is always more comfortable, but the small town stations have largely been abandoned, and replaced by bus service. Since the market did not support train operations to small towns, the new trains are long distance, high speed trains between large cities with no stops in between. I think the concept is to compete with airplanes, but I am betting that it won't work. For example, the Burgos train station is as far from the city center as the airport, so it really is less convenient than the old one downtown. The high speed trains are running well below capacity as travelers continue to use their automobiles.
That is a pity... takes the fun out of train travel. Final question then off to bed as it's 12:30am here... if I land at 1:45pm is there enough time to get the 3:15 train? Dont intend checking in luggage.

That is a pity... takes the fun out of train travel. Final question then off to bed as it's 12:30am here... if I land at 1:45pm is there enough time to get the 3:15 train? Dont intend checking in luggage.
But remember you have customs as well. It would be close.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
if I land at 1:45pm is there enough time to get the 3:15 train?
I think it is a 1505 train and a 1515 bus. You will have time for the bus; I don't know about the train, which leaves from Atchoa. I remember a passport check, but I do not remember any baggage check by customs.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes, and yes.;)

See booking.com for bed availability. Jesus y Maria is closed. Paderborn will fill by noon. Hotels are pretty much booked by now.
During the festival San Fermin it is hopeless to get a place to sleep in Pamplona and in the surrounding. Even the benches in the parks are occupied by drunken Spaniards!
Buen Camino
Jochen

Last edited:
Im sat trawling through the net trying to find out the best way to get from Madrid to Pamplona so this has been helpful, trying to find my way out the airport itself to find the train station is, well, another matter, all the maps I come across are in spanish :eek:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The bus does not go to the airport. If you do not walk down to it, perhaps taking a taxi all the way to the train station would be most efficient.

upload_2014-3-18_11-55-36.png

You can book bus travel Madrid Barajas to Pamplona on the Alsa bus company website, or it is also easy to book buses of several companies in Spain ahead of time via the movelia website (www.movelia.es/en). You pay online, print a voucher, and (I hope I remember correctly) collect the actual travel ticket from the relevant company at the departure station/desk.
The Travelling pen: Several long-distance buses leave conveniently right outside Terminal 4 at Barajas airport, so you should be able to make the 15.00 (or 15.15?) bus. You may not be able to book this far ahead for July, but you can try it out, and wait if necessary until nearer the time to book. I've travelled from Barajas to Astorga, efficiently and comfortably by bus, and by train to Palencia, but that meant taking the metro into the city for Chamartin station. I hope you enjoy Pamplona during the Fermines--rather you than me, I must say.
Angie, there is a metro station at the airport (T1, when I used it, but perhaps also from T4??) so it is easy to get into the city--if you prefer to travel on by train, and have the time to do so.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back