• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Parts to bypass -time limited.

arlene1313

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016
i am leaving from SJPP on May 25th and only have 3 weeks to arrive at Santiago.. Is there a way, and a section that would be better to miss to sort of fast track a bit? I would love to do it all, but not this trip.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Maybe it isn't the sort of answer you were looking for but I would suggest to walk your 3 weeks and continue next time to Santiago de Compostela from wherever you end this year.

Another option you may consider is to bike it this time and walk it next time...

Hi Arlene,

This is a question to which you will get lots of different, but equally valid answers. @Castilian's suggestion is a good one, if it's possible for you to return another time. Many of us have walked the Camino Frances in stages because of work and time constraints.

On the other hand - assuming you want to end in Santiago, the simplest option is to start somewhere other than St. Jean. Walking from Burgos, for example would allow you plenty of time to walk to Santiago. Burgos is also a really easy city to reach. If you are flying into Madrid, there's a bus from the airport that takes just 2.5 hours. There are also buses from Bilbao.

If you want to start in e.g. St Jean or Pamplona you can make the decisions about what to skip as you go along. You'll see that some stretches of the Camino are very well served by public transport (including most places between Pamplona and Burgos). On the Meseta, you can take a train to Leon from Sahagun or El Burgo Ranero. There are other options later on too - e.g. from Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo. So, between buses, trains and taxis it's easy to work this out without any advance planning. However, it could leave you with what feels like a 'disjointed' Camino experience, so it's worth bearing that in mind when deciding what to do.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is no rule that you have to start in SJPdP or Roncesvalles ALL starting points are a compromise anyway. In pre-industrialisation times pilgrims would walk/ride/take a ship or a carriage to travel from home to Santiago and back home again by whatever means where available, affordable and safe. Unless you start from home and do the same, any starting point is a valid one. If you have only limited time and it is important to you to reach Santiago, simply start closer to Santiago. Buen Camino, SY

The "meseta" between Burgos and Leon is not very appealing compared to the rest of the Camino. If you don't enjoy flat trails with farm after farm, you can skip this entire section and start from Leon or even from Astorga, depending on how much time you want to gain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are many of us on the forum who would claim the exact opposite - the meseta is our favourite part!
Yes some would be attracted to this "flat plains" of central Spain. If considering to skip stages, IMHO, one does not have to walk the entire monotony section (some 10 days) to experience what this plateau has to offer. I enjoyed this part though as it gave me a break in intensity. But, i had ample time to complete the Camino.

i am leaving from SJPP on May 25th and only have 3 weeks to arrive at Santiago.. Is there a way, and a section that would be better to miss to sort of fast track a bit? I would love to do it all, but not this trip.

Maybe bus/taxi past the Meseta? I understand it helps a lot of people with the spiritual part of a Camino but the landscape is rather monotonous.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My daughters and I intend taking our Camino in August/September and have 25 days. We have opted to hire bicycles to travel from Logrono to Leon. This will be 5 days cycling over 13 days walking. this could be an option for you. We are using a company called Nava Rent (nava-rent.es). The rental is €150 per person and they supply helmets, panniers, repair kit etc.

It depends on if you want to have a pilgrimage or a nice sightseeing walk.
If you want to have the pilgrimage experience, your trip has a definite linear beginning and ending. You take it as it comes. Skipping "the boring parts" is kinda defeating the purpose. Start walking, and stop when you run out of time. Come back and finish later if you must.
If you're sight-seeing, on the other hand, feel free to cherry-pick the fun and interesting parts and skip the "uninspiring" bits. There's plenty of landscapes and great food and pretty villages to enjoy in the time you have.
Just don't stay at the places meant for pilgrims, or call yourself a pilgrim. Out of consideration for those who are on the camino for its original purpose.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Don't skip!!
Making friends is the best part.
Walk 3 weeks stop then come back another time and walk the rest.
It's not all about reaching Santiago
I,d have to disagree...even though my journey has yet begun and have yet to have walked the Camino, Santiago is what it is all about.!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
one does not have to walk the entire monotony section (some 10 days) to experience what this plateau has to offer.

That plateau (aka the meseta) offers (much) more that what it may seem at first sight but, many times, to discover it you have look further than that first sight. First sight may be monotony but you can look beyond it and, if you have eyes to see and ears to hear, you'll discover that you are offered (much) more than what you thought at first sight. Of course, even discovering all what it has to offer, it may not be your cup of tea...

I,d have to disagree...even though my journey has yet begun and have yet to have walked the Camino, Santiago is what it is all about.!

You are wrong,
When in Spain the Spanish will tell you Muxia is the finish,

And please don't say St JPdP is the start Rupe because someone might just commence in Paris or Leon or Le Puy [ notice these are all in France ] or Belgium , Austria or Geneva.

My reminder t/shirt only has Ronscavalles to Santiago , all Spanish towns/villages.
Walk it first mate and then disagree/agree with Frasert

Last edited:

There is no section of the camino that stands out as better or worse than another.

You're best off planning a continuous 3 weeks without breaking the journey.

You can spend a lot of time sitting on a bus ... some places have only one bus per day and require a connection via a town not on the camino. One whole day lost in order to skip a section because you're short of time ...

Its up to you to decide which section you want to walk. Is it somehow more important to you to walk the Napoleon, the Meseta, or see the baroque buildings of Santiago? Sometimes you can't have it all.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Maybe bus/taxi past the Meseta?...the landscape is rather monotonous.
I didn't find it as monotonous as I thought/heard it was going to be. (though I was too early for any wildflowers or crops in bloom) Each day has a varied terrain. And there are hills, just not the killer kind. I try to think of what walking day was my favorite on the meseta and it just might be Hornillos del Camino to Castrojerez. But ask me tomorrow and I might answer different!!

You are wrong,
When in Spain the Spanish will tell you Muxia is the finish,

And please don't say St JPdP is the start Rupe because someone might just commence in Paris or Leon or Le Puy [ notice these are all in France ] or Belgium , Austria or Geneva.

My reminder t/shirt only has Ronscavalles to Santiago , all Spanish towns/villages.
Walk it first mate and then disagree/agree with Frasert
Wow didn't think ones own personal opinion would strike such a cord. Is Santiago not the goal! "For me" I have say yes... no matter where one starts!

That plateau (aka the meseta) offers (much) more that what it may seem at first sight but, many times, to discover it you have look further than that first sight. First sight may be monotony but you can look beyond it and, if you have eyes to see and ears to hear, you'll discover that you are offered (much) more than what you thought at first sight. Of course, even discovering all what it has to offer, it may not be your cup of tea...
Not meant to disparage the Meseta. It does offer a unique walking experience compared to the rest of the Camino. The context here is how to "shorten the walk" due to time constraints. One suggestion is to walk fewer stages in the Meseta to gain upto a week, perhaps enough time to complete the rest.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow didn't think ones own personal opinion would strike such a cord. Is Santiago not the goal! "For me" I have say yes... no matter where one starts!

Yes Rupe Santiago is the goal of 80%, thats where they finish

However you originally said Santiago was what it was" all about"
That is a very different thing

You will find most spend a day or two in Santiago yet have spent 30-40 days on the Camino

My daughters and I intend taking our Camino in August/September and have 25 days. We have opted to hire bicycles to travel from Logrono to Leon. This will be 5 days cycling over 13 days walking. this could be an option for you. We are using a company called Nava Rent (nava-rent.es). The rental is €150 per person and they supply helmets, panniers, repair kit etc.
Thank you I like this idea!

Not meant to disparage the Meseta. It does offer a unique walking experience compared to the rest of the Camino. The context here is how to "shorten the walk" due to time constraints. One suggestion is to walk fewer stages in the Meseta to gain upto a week, perhaps enough time to complete the rest.
Thank you ! I am learning a lot about the passion for this quest...I appreciate your understanding of my question.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Faced with time pressures myself, on a Camino in 2011, I elected to start in SJPdP and end where I could.

As with any camino I met friends along the way. We exchanged FaceBook accounts. It was quite grand for those 16 days.

But then I had to catch a flight home, around Leon, so I departed.

I came home to work and the usual day to day, and watched on FB as they continued the journey. It was torture. I watched them complete what we set out to do, but I wasn't there.

I have never since done a Camino where I did not at least make it to Santiago. Just to feel the sense of accomplishment, the camaraderie with those I have met along the way.

I know this topic comes up again and again, but my advice is to pick a spot to start where you can make it to at least SDC and walk it continuously, not ferrying ahead and losing friends met. In fact, I would prefer to pick a spot where you can make it beyond, to Finn and Muxia if possible. 3 weeks is a long time to walk...

In my opinion a Camino without closure, reaching some middle destination only, is not as happy as a camino closing reaching a common goal.

Again, there are many opinions on this, and I admire those with the discipline to walk one year, stop, and then the next to continue a journey to the destination.

I'd rather walk a year and make it, and then figure out how I can walk longer distances with either more time, or more stamina, on subsequent ways.

Damien

I like to start "at the begining", see where ot takes me and feel the call to go back and fishish another year. That expecation of wanting to go back inhabits me and is now a part of my life. Mind you, I did the Frances in three stretches, and not in order: SJPP to Burgos, Leon to Muxia, Pamplona to Leon and loved it, and in fact felt arriving in Santiago was very anticlimatic, but that in itself was an important leeson. It really is about each footstep and what you make of it, how you accept your environment and deal with it, day after day.

Yes Rupe Santiago is the goal of 80%, thats where they finish

However you originally said Santiago was what it was" all about"
That is a very different thing

You will find most spend a day or two in Santiago yet have spent 30-40 days on the Camino
Sorry YOUR original response to MY opinion makes it sound like one has to walk the Camino to have an opinion!
Try not to discourage others from commenting by telling them they are "WRONG". So with that... allow this forum to teach people, to gain knowledge, and to gain strength from those who may have walked the Camino and yes those who have yet to make the journey. Just my opinion!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Breaking the walk and landing in a place 200 miles ahead is not the Camino; I would suggest

1) start in SJPP and go as far as you can (león?)
2) Start in Burgos and make it to Santiago all the way non stop and no bus/train/taxi. That way you fit in a "wave" of pilgrims that will be around you all the way to Santiago, it is a unique experience. That is what I would do, the meseta will be all green with endless seas of cereals, history, remote little towns... 04_trigales.JPG

Is that a photo of an uninspiring landscape? I do not think so! It was taken on may 26th, on my second day from Burgos, 10 years ago

the Meseta is stunning, absolutely, I agree with every word of Rebekah Scott above, a pilgrimage is not a sight seeing tour.

For what it is worth, arrived in Santiago Saturday after walking 14 days from Leon. If I would have had more time, I would have walked to Fisterre. Though Santiago was amazing (we saw the Botafumeiro in action at Mass on Sunday), my brain and most of my body felt the need to continue to the ocean but sadly had to come home. Perhaps with 3 weeks you could start in Leon and walk to the ocean. I must also concur with other posters who have said all parts are worth seeing. Even though we stated in Leon we plan to come back and begin in SJPDP or maybe even Le Puy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Sorry, I would have to disagree :D

My Camino was never about Santiago. But the 'journey'.....

I hope you discover the same.......or you might miss out on a lot ;)

But hey......it's your Camino :)

Please don't quote me but originally, I believe, your pilgrimage or any pilgrimage started with the first step out of your own door.

So given I live in Australia, my pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela is over 15,000 kilometres or 9375 miles so can all those people who suggest that my stroll from Sarria to Santiago of 115Kms doesn't count please stop?

PS I'm not including you in this Rupe as I agree with you.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back