• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Passports and stamps from Santiago to Finisterre via Muxia

NataliaK

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk in September for first time
Hello all,

I'm hoping to get pilgrim passports from Santiago and start my journey there and go on to Finisterre via Muxia. Is this possible? And can one get the certificates/stamps once in Finisterre?
Or do you have to have started the walk before Santiago?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Natalia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I logged on to ask the exact same question - great minds think alike and all that!

My circumstances are slightly different, in that a friend and I are starting the Camino Portugues from Porto next week and while we have our pilgrim passports already sorted out, we may be joined by a friend in Santiago who will then walk with us to Finisterre and (maybe) Muxia. Obviously, we'd all like to be able to stay in the same albergues once we walk on from Santiago, so I'm looking to clarify whether it's easy for someone to acquire a credencial in Santiago to walk the Camino Finisterre. I don't expect it will be a problem, but it's always a good idea to ask questions here and benefit from the knowledge of others.

Having walked the Camino Frances last year (and then going on to Finisterre and Muxia), I'm guessing the pilgrim office near the Cathedral will be the place to go. I didn't need to acquire a fresh passport for walking on, but I would be surprised if that wasn't the place to go. If you're starting in Santiago, my only advice on that front would be to try to call to the office on the day in question before the flow of arriving pilgrims begins. The pilgrim office tends to the first stop for arriving pilgrims and from mid-morning onwards, that will be a steady flow, which can translate into lengthy queues!

As for your question about certificates/stamps once in Finisterre, you will get your passport stamped along the way as you walk from Santiago, and when you arrive in Finisterre (or at least when I did last June), you call to the Xunta (whether you're going to stay there for the night or not), present your credencial/passport, and they will present you with the certificate. If you walk on Muxia (or go there before Finisterre) you call to the tourist information office and they'll present you with the cert for reaching Muxia there.

Hope that helps, and I hope someone else answers the first part of your query!

@NataliaK
I can double on Mark2012 post. It's not a problem.

But - do you really need the certificate?

Ultreia!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For credenciales and information on the route to Finisterre/Muxia go to the Tourist Office at 32 Rua do Vilar (the same street as the Pilgrims' Office) other wise you can get a credencial for this route at the albergue in Negreira - the first stop.

Buen camino

John

Hi Natalia, the walk to Fisterra and on to Muxia is almost a separate entity rom the Camino into S de C. The pilgrims´s office will send you to the Tourist Office as you have already learned. But beware: I learned today that two pilgrims asking for bus times at the Tourist Office were being "sold", and I have no other word for it, a packaged bus trip and questions about bus times were not answered as one would expect. JW, as I am sure you are reading this, maybe this ought to be checked out as it smacks of "enchufe"....!!!
Anyway, you can generally get a credential if not at the tourist office (which you should ordinarily bhe able to) or at the municipal/private albergues in Negreira. The Fisterrana is beautiful and available to anyone who has walked the way there; likewise the Muxiana.
Maybe you´ll continue my way? No "certificate" but a cute sticker and a very warm welcome.

A few weeks ago we had a very different experience when enquiring about bus times to Finisterre and Muxia. We did not have time to walk to the coast but did walk from Muxia to Finisterre. Both tourist offices supplied bus timetables, but the most helpful office was that for the City of Santiago rather than the Galician office. We got the impression that the Santiago office was only too pleased to help us. The Galician office did not appear to be very interested in our enquiries. Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi

Just a couple of days back from St Jean - Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia - Finisterre.
You can get your Finisterre/Muxia credencial before Santiago at the Tourism office in A Rua between Santa Irene and O Pedrouzo about 21 kms before Santiago if that is more convenient but if you collect if from the Galician Tourism office on Rue de Vilar about 50 yards from the Pilgrim office in Santiago they will give you your 1st 'sello' for it.
If you go: Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia then you can get both the Finisterre and Muxia completions scrolls.
The Finisterre scroll is issued at the reception in the municipal albergue which opens about 1 pm which also offers free hugs :) I arrived in Muxia about 2 pm on a Sunday and the Muxia scroll was issued to me at the municipal albergue there when I booked in. Not sure if this is a permanent chance of procedure as I expected to have to visit the council office on Monday to collect it or just an arrangement to cater for Sunday arrivals. No problem with getting 'sellos' for Finisterre/Muxia, I was able to get 18 although my inclination to have at least a café con leche every time I asked for a 'sello' did cause my kidneys to work overtime. ;-)

Buen camino

Seamus

Thank you all for your comments!
All very helpful.

Just a few more questions - you don't have to walk back to Santiago from Finisterre/Muxia do you?
I understand you can get a bus? Are these regular?
Most importnatly: Can I pick up passports for more than one person at the Tourist Office? The group I'm walking with are arriving a day or two after me and it makes sense for me to sort it all out before hand if this is possible.

In 2011 I used the remaining blank spaces on my Camino Frances credential for my way to Fistera, this was accepted and the Fistera certificate was issued to me, is it now a requirement to have another credential for the pilgrimage?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
ffp13 said:
In 2011 I used the remaining blank spaces on my Camino Frances credential for my way to Fistera, this was accepted and the Fistera certificate was issued to me, is it now a requirement to have another credential for the pilgrimage?

No. We advise pilgrims all the time that if there is room in their credencial when they reach Santiago they can carry on to Finisterre using the same one.

I got my Muxiana from the Municipal albergue on a Sunday after attending a Mass so I think it would have been about 1:30/2:00. I had used the space left on my SJPDP-Santiago credencia. I had it stamped on the day of my departure from Santiago, at the municipal Negreria albergue, and then 4 times on the way to Muxia on the Saturday (I walked Negreria to Muxia in one day).

I got my Muxiana from the Municipal albergue on a Sunday after attending a Mass so I think it would have been about 1:30/2:00. I had used the space left on my SJPDP-Santiago credencia. I had it stamped on the day of my departure from Santiago, at the municipal Negreria albergue, and then 4 times on the way to Muxia on the Saturday (I walked Negreria to Muxia in one day).

is there a bus from santiago to negreria?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Horarios Autobuses
Hermanos Ferrin S.L. – Servicio regular de viaxeiros

• Negreira – Santiago. Parada na Rúa Camiño Vello.
- Horarios luns a venres: 6.45, 7.45, 8.45, 9.45, 10.45, 11.45, 12.45, 13.45, 14.45, 15.45, 16.45, 17.45, 18.45, 19.45, 20.45.

- Horarios sábados: 7.45, 8.45, 9.45, 10.45, 11.45, 12.45, 13.45, 15.45, 17.45, 19.45, 21.30.

- Horarios domingos e festivos: 8.45, 9.45, 11.45, 13.45, 15.45, 17.45, 19.45, 21.30.

• Santiago – Negreira. Dende a estación de autobuses.
- Horarios luns a venres: 7.45, 8.45, 9.45, 10.45, 11.45, 12.45, 13.45, 14.45, 15.45, 16.45, 17.45, 18.45, 19.45, 20.45, 21.45.

- Horarios sábados: 8.45, 9.45, 10.45, 11.45, 12.45, 13.45, 14.45, 16.45, 18.45, 20.45, 22.30

- Horarios domingos e festivos: 9.45, 10.45, 12.45, 14.45, 16.45, 18.45, 20.45, 22.30.

Most read last week in this forum

Brother going next week SDC to Finisterre, can only remember one short hill climb of any consequence cannot remember location ???

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back