• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pensionista Pilgrims Planning for May 2019 Camino

kclem

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago de Compostela 2019
Hi
Thanks for the add.
We are planning our Camino Sarria to Santiago de Compostela May 2019.
My biggest fear is the downhill sections, I have a real fear of walking downhill.
I have just read Mark McCarthy's Guide book and the elavation pages have me in a panic.
Looking for some reassurance from others please.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@kclem Try working out your own elevations at true scale. From memory and without the book to hand the illustrations are "unhelpful". There is scarcely a slope between Sarria and Santiago worth the title of elevation.

If you plot at true scale: 1 kilometre of distance to 1 kilometre of height you'll be much reassured.

And if walking downhill is a serious challenge try turning around and walking backwards. The mind is easily fooled.

I took a look at one of his elevation pages. They do look very steep, but the page shows 18 km so the hills are squished to fit on the page. What is it that you don't like about hills? A lot of the hills on this section are walking beside roads. I don't remember anywhere that felt like you could fall off. Poles are also helpful for walking downhill. We all have to face fears on the camino. That is part of the journey.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I took a look at one of his elevation pages. They do look very steep, but the page shows 18 km so the hills are squished to fit on the page. What is it that you don't like about hills? A lot of the hills on this section are walking beside roads. I don't remember anywhere that felt like you could fall off. Poles are also helpful for walking downhill. We all have to face fears on the camino. That is part of the journey.

Thanks for your responses. I feel reassured.

I agree 100% with previous comments. I walked both the Frances and el Norte and tracked my walks each day. I was able to also show my elevation and descents all day long. I can say that it made for a lot of WOW moments on paper but there was never any ascent or descent that matched those in the guides. My answer is to,always use my hiking poles and descend slowly cautiously and to focus on eac( step. You can do it !!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am really sorry, I don't want to panic anyone. Its a fabulous part of the Camino where all the steepest descents are all on Tarmac. The elevation charts are accurate but they are scaled slightly differently to give as large an image as possible. I have been through my data and the steepest slope is 31% on a very small section in to Portomarin. This, however, can be avoided by taking the complimentary route on your left. Apart from this the next toughest descent tops out at 21% on the way in to Ribadiso. On reflection perhaps this is data I should include with the elevation charts which I will do for the next edition. If you have any more questions you are more than welcome to message me here or on the email address given in the guide.

Thanks for your response Mark. I guess this is a Pilgrimage and my fears need to be faced. Just had visions of having to bum slide downhill and that wouldn't be a pretty sight.

I agree 100% with previous comments. I walked both the Frances and el Norte and tracked my walks each day. I was able to also show my elevation and descents all day long. I can say that it made for a lot of WOW moments on paper but there was never any ascent or descent that matched those in the guides. My answer is to,always use my hiking poles and descend slowly cautiously and to focus on eac( step. You can do it !!!

Thanks for responding I'm going to face my fear and do it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Two tips to help on steep downhills are:
  1. Use hiking poles. Just go slowly and plant the poles deliberately.
  2. Zigzag down the hill (like a slalom skier). Walk to the right, pause, turn, walk to the left. Stop and rest at the turn point if your knees are getting wobbly. Take your time!

Last edited:
Use two trekking poles and watch the YouTube videos on how to get best use from them, this really makes a big difference. They're also very useful going uphill too.
UltreĂŻa

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for your response Mark. I guess this is a Pilgrimage and my fears need to be faced. Just had visions of having to bum slide downhill and that wouldn't be a pretty sight.
You will have no bum sliding on the Camino Frances so you will not have to face your fear! Enjoy the journey, I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back