• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Person missing since Nov 9, 2023 — walking Camino Portugués -RIP

mirichka

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues 2023
Good day everyone,

My friend is currently walking Camino Portugues, and until recently was checking in every day with friends and family. He (and his phone) was last online 6 days ago, November 9, at a hostel in Vila do Conde, from where he was planning to walk to Santiago de Compostelo. Is anyone walking this part of Camino now and could ask in hostels / albergues? Does anyone have any advice? I am not sure if 6 days is considered early enough to alert local police; after all, I don't know if he is lost in his own thoughts or prayers and simply decided to go no contact with everyone for a while (even though it is highly unlikely). I can provide some more information if needed, please ask away. I apologize if this is a wrong place to post, please direct me if there is a more appropriate place for this thread. Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello - Welcome to the forum.

It is very easy for pilgrims to immerse themselves in the experience of the Camino, and sometimes making daily contact with home can become a bit of a chore or distraction from the experience.

However, I can understand your concern, and hope that someone who is currently in that area will respond. If so, it is best to provide any personal details by private Conversation.

I hope you hear something soon!

It is a difficult situation and you are right not to post any personal details, there are all kinds of privacy issues there. Is this the kind of thing your friend has done before? How do their family feel? You could try posting on other social media platforms, even if your friend doesn´t use them, another pilgrim might and pass on the message. You could also, if you are very concerned, try phoning albergues and hostals along your friend´s probable route. Language would obviously be a problem but they might recognise the name. In the meantime, could anyone who is on the Portugués keep a look out for anyone who could be mirichka´s friend?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello - Welcome to the forum.

It is very easy for pilgrims to immerse themselves in the experience of the Camino, and sometimes making daily contact with home can become a bit of a chore or distraction from the experience.

However, I can understand your concern, and hope that someone who is currently in that area will respond. If so, it is best to provide any personal details by private Conversation.

I hope you hear something soon!
I hope you are right. I don't want to take away from his experience, neither does his mom, but 6 days with no contact with any friends or relatives (and phone turned off) feels a bit too much. Thank you for your reply!

It is a difficult situation and you are right not to post any personal details, there are all kinds of privacy issues there. Is this the kind of thing your friend has done before? How do their family feel? You could try posting on other social media platforms, even if your friend doesn´t use them, another pilgrim might and pass on the message. You could also, if you are very concerned, try phoning albergues and hostals along your friend´s probable route. Language would obviously be a problem but they might recognise the name. In the meantime, could anyone who is on the Portugués keep a look out for anyone who could be mirichka´s friend?
Phoning albergues is the step we'll be taking tomorrow, but since I don't know his exact route it may take a while. This is my friend's first Camino and he hasn't traveled on foot for this long before. Disappearing for nearly a week with no warning isn't usual for him, and his family is also rather concerned (however, we're across the ocean and local police here said more time needs to pass until they accept the report). Do you think there any details (such as his general description) that may be useful for me to post here, or should I wait until anyone currently on that stretch of Camino responds and take it to private messages? Thank you!

Last edited:
While on a Camino I seldom know where I am on the globe, nor the date within weeks. It may indeed be that your person has simply immersed themselves in the experience. Or they left their phone charger in the wall at their last stop. On the other hand, I understand your concern. Hopefully it all works out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are two points on the route where you could usefully canvas pilgrims to see if he has been spotted. The first would be the ferry at Caminha and the second would be the bridge at Tui. So whatever the itinerary he would have to come through one of those two points.

Do you think there any details (such as his general description) that may be useful for me to post here,
That should be OK. There should be nothing that can actually identify your friend but age and gender would help. It might mean that a lot of pilgrims get accosted, but they will understand. Have a look at Gronze.com to get an idea of where your friend should be by now so that have an idea of where to start looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think there any details (such as his general description) that may be useful for me to post here, or should I wait until anyone currently on that stretch of Camino resp

General description and gender good idea but vague!
Stayed in Casa Roan y Casa Grande near Palas de Rei a lady wanted her friend picked up as it was pouring with rain.
Her description was
He's a pilgrim with poles and a backpack standing by himself! that narrowed it down a lot for the driver?

Would a first name be to much?
Big assumption but i imagine he's from USA (but not a given)
By now after six days he could be in or around Vigo.
Hope you have a good outcome.

Woody (if anyone said that in my vicinity i'd respond!! as i expect this guy would respond to his name)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If everything is ok, your friend should be already in Spain.

If I were you, I would contact the Guardia Civil (maybe try to do it through Alertcops?), and explain the situation. You can give them all the details about you friend, including photos.

I would expect them to try to track him down.

personal security is important on the Camino, I hope your friend is safe and well.. pilgrims should consider installing the "AlertCops" app while on the Camino in Spain.....(I am not sure if there is a similar app for Portugal) please let us know if there is any news..

Phoning albergues is the step we'll be taking tomorrow, but since I don't know his exact route it may take a while. This is my friend's first Camino and he hasn't traveled on foot for this long before. Disappearing for nearly a week with no warning isn't usual for him, and his family is also rather concerned (however, we're across the ocean and local police here said more time needs to pass until they accept the report). Do you think there any details (such as his general description) that may be useful for me to post here, or should I wait until anyone currently on that stretch of Camino responds and take it to private messages? Thank you!
I have seen the notes from others, and believe that if this is unusual behaviour, you should report it to the authorities. It might be a simple explanation - having lost his phone, or decided to take a week out, but he might need assistance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As a mother of a son who has walked the Camino three times, I understand that six days is a very long time not to hear from someone although, as mentioned above, it is common for people to get very caught up in their present moment and not phone or text home.

The phone being off is worrisome. On our last walk our son's phone was stolen. We were together at the time, and one would be surprised how difficult it is to communicate without a phone. It was impossible for him to get into his accounts (phone, email, etc.) on our devices because he had set everything up to require 2 factor authorization and one of those factors always involved his phone. Fortunately, the thief couldn't access anything either.

I hope you hear from him soon, perhaps, via a fellow walker's email account. You have been given some good advice above, and I think emailing albergues on the route is a great idea.

As a mother of a son who has walked the Camino three times, I understand that six days is a very long time not to hear from someone although, as mentioned above, it is common for people to get very caught up in their present moment and not phone or text home.

The phone being off is worrisome. On our last walk our son's phone was stolen. We were together at the time, and one would be surprised how difficult it is to communicate without a phone. It was impossible for him to get into his accounts (phone, email, etc.) on our devices because he had set everything up to require 2 factor authorization and one of those factors always involved his phone. Fortunately, the thief couldn't access anything either.

I hope you hear from him soon, perhaps, via a fellow walker's email account. You have been given some good advice above, and I think emailing albergues on the route is a great idea.
Agree with this about the phone being turned off for 6 days as being very different from simply not affirmatively keeping in contact while walking. Particularly if this is his first Camino, I would expect that he would be using his phone at the very least to identify open lodgings each night (particularly this time a year).

Hi! I am currently on my way to Santiago. At 9th of Nov i stayed at Agucadoura Albergue, I am walking alone mostly, but I have met many pilgrims and exchanged our stories as just the day before- 8th of November was very rainy and stormy- many of us still havent got our things fully dry since then- and thats a big topic to discuss “where were you during the storm”? I will spread the word among other pilgrims I meet.
Hope everhthing is fine 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If everything is ok, your friend should be already in Spain.

If I were you, I would contact the Guardia Civil (maybe try to do it through Alertcops?), and explain the situation. You can give them all the details about you friend, including photos.

I would expect them to try to track him down.
Agree, the Guardia Civil might be able to check the national database of tourists (details here). Don't know if Portugal have a similar system, but I'm sure police will be used to dealing with queries like this.

I am sorry everyone, not a good update. My friend passed away at the hospital this morning due to health complications.

Please, those walking Camino now and feeling inclined to do so - please pray for Vlad when you finish your Camino, let his name be said at Santiago de Compostelo. I appreciate it...

I am so very sorry to hear this.

May his memory be a blessing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am sorry everyone, not a good update. My friend passed away at the hospital this morning due to health complications.
So very sorry to hear this news of your friend. Condolences to his family and loved ones.
Thank you for taking the time to update forum members with this outcome, tragic as it is. Putting closure on missing persons who have been reported on this forum is always appreciated.🙏

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Please, those walking Camino now and feeling inclined to do so - please pray for Vlad when you finish your Camino, let his name be said at Santiago de Compostelo. I appreciate it...
I am so very sorry. May his memory be a blessing.

Mirichka, I am so sorry to hear that this took place. I pray that his soul abides in peace and that his memory may be a blessing. I hope the Cathedral offers a special memory for him. May his friends and his family find peace and comfort that he died while in a sacred place.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Oh no! So sorry to hear this.
May your soul rest in peace Vlad. Buen Camino and God bless!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good day everyone,

My friend is currently walking Camino Portugues, and until recently was checking in every day with friends and family. He (and his phone) was last online 6 days ago, November 9, at a hostel in Vila do Conde, from where he was planning to walk to Santiago de Compostelo. Is anyone walking this part of Camino now and could ask in hostels / albergues? Does anyone have any advice? I am not sure if 6 days is considered early enough to alert local police; after all, I don't know if he is lost in his own thoughts or prayers and simply decided to go no contact with everyone for a while (even though it is highly unlikely). I can provide some more information if needed, please ask away. I apologize if this is a wrong place to post, please direct me if there is a more appropriate place for this thread. Thank you!
What a sad ending and confirmation of your concerns. I so feel with/for you, and send my condolances to all directly concerned, as well as the pilgrim community. This was truly sad news.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm so very sorry to learn this @mirichka. How heartbreaking. May Vlad rest in the peace of the Lord. My prayers and condolences his family and to you and all his friends and loved ones.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sad news,so sorry for your loss.rest in peace Vlad. Buen Camino .🙏

€46,-
Hola @mirichka It is very sad news about your friend Vlad. Yes39 is far to young to pass away. Still he was fortunate to have a friend such as yourself. My thoughts and prayers are with Vlad, you and his family. Hopefully St James will be there to welcome him home. RIP Vlad!

Mirichka,

Again, our deepest sympathies (and, in rare cases, empathies) on the loss of Vlad.

As you, his family and friends, struggle through the shock and grief, it *might* be helpful for you and them to know that, sometimes, families and/or friends finish the Camino for their lost loved one, starting from their last known location. There are articles and stories on such living/walking memorials.

If he had wanted to obtain a Compostela from the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago, and the route and distance qualify, the walker can have their Compostela inscribed with the lost one's name In Vicarie Pro (roughly, in place of), under their own name.

Offered only for your contemplation.

Mirichka,

Again, our deepest sympathies (and, in rare cases, empathies) on the loss of Vlad.

As you, his family and friends, struggle through the shock and grief, it *might* be helpful for you and them to know that, sometimes, families and/or friends finish the Camino for their lost loved one, starting from their last known location. There are articles and stories on such living/walking memorials.

If he had wanted to obtain a Compostela from the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago, and the route and distance qualify, the walker can have their Compostela inscribed with the lost one's name In Vicarie Pro (roughly, in place of), under their own name.

Thank you! I've been wanting to walk the Camino for a while, just for my own experience, but now it looks like I have another reason to do so. I didn't know about adding a name to Compostela, thank you for letting me know. I think I might start making plans for March to coincide with Vlad's birthday.

€149,-
Thank you! I've been wanting to walk the Camino for a while, just for my own experience, but now it looks like I have another reason to do so. I didn't know about adding a name to Compostela, thank you for letting me know. I think I might start making plans for March to coincide with Vlad's birthday.

Mirichka....please let us know when (in the future) you are able to complete Vlad's Camino. We will all walk virtually with you both here .....on the forum.

Last edited:
Mirichka,

What a kind proposition.

Unfortunately, I don't have the funds or time to walk that route for him. However, since I walked In Vicarie Pro for my biological mother this September, I an familiar with that concept. And there are many posts and links on these boards about the practice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Very sad to hear this outcome, although hopefully he had some good experiences while on the trail and succumbed while doing something that could have been very meaningful to him. Yes, prayers for him are in order. My sincerest condolences to you and his family.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

💔

I’m terribly sorry for your loss. Prayers for his family

€46,-
Dear Mirichka, I am so sorry for your loss. We will add our prayers to the scores of others and pray for eternal rest for him. Blessings, Wayne

Sorry to hear that sad news, my sincerest condolences to family and friends. He was chosen by our Lord to finish his camino straight in heaven. may he find his peaceful rest in the bosom of our Godfather.

Thank you so much for your support, everyone! While he wasn't in the best of health, Vlad was only 39, so the news is truly devastating. I will be passing all your comments and condolences to his mom.
So sorry for you loss ❤️

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good day everyone,

I was there last year and have a vivid memory of villa de conde. 🙏

So sorry Mirichka for you and for all Vlad's family and friends.
I hope you walk a camino and maybe finish his camino.
Buen camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Such a sad outcome. My condolences to you and Vlad’s family.

Good day everyone,

🙏🌿

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So very sorry for your loss and sending warm hugs to you and Vlads dear family - may his dear soul rest in peaceXX

Good day everyone,

I am so very sorry to hear this.

May his memory be a blessing.
RIP and blessings to you and his family.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you so much for your support, everyone! While he wasn't in the best of health, Vlad was only 39, so the news is truly devastating. I will be passing all your comments and condolences to his mom.
Please do. I (we) so feel for her. Devastating news. Heartfelt condolences to you and his family. 39 is very young :-(

€60,-
Good day everyone,

🤞🤞😢

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back