A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Perspective on luggage transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
Via de La Plata (spring, 2019)
I just wanted to point out that the pilgrims in Medieval times, if they had had luggage transport available to them, would have enthusiastically taken advantage of it. If there had been cars to drive them, it would have been even better.

You - with your 21st century designed backpack, shoes and high tech clothing, your smart phone and guidebook ap - probably shouldn't judge people who use luggage transport services on the Camino.

Camino(s) past & future
Some but not all, and other routes too.
I just wanted to point out that the pilgrims in Medieval times, if they had had luggage transport available to them, would have enthusiastically taken advantage of it. If there had been cars to drive them, it would have been even better.

You - with your 21st century designed backpack, shoes and high tech clothing, your smart phone and guidebook ap - probably shouldn't judge people who use luggage transport services on the Camino.
Nobody should ever judge anyone for whatever reason, unfortunately throughout there world this is not the case.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (Spring '17)
Primitivo (Spring '18)
TBD (2019)
I agree Jill. I don't use luggage transport myself but I don't have any issue with anyone else who does. And I don't really understand the negativity towards it that I sometimes see here, to be honest. If having luggage transport allows someone to experience the camino who otherwise wouldn't have been able to, then that's great for them.

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho Portugues (2017)
I can’t imagine why anyone would presume to judge anyone who used a baggage service. This is, afterall, a pilgrimage, which assumes the pilgrim takes on the virtue of humility. That means don’t judge. As other posters mentioned, if a baggage forwarding service enables those who would otherwise not be able to walk the Camino, then more power to them! Last year I walked with a dear lady with bad knees, who really should have used a baggage service. For the “purists” I get it; to be a pilgrim is to suffer - somewhat. So, find some other way to suffer or practice self-denial. Maybe it’s to shutup and not judge. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%