• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phone / Money

Duey0074

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk in july (2015)
Hi!

I am starting my Camino July 1st which is now very soon! I am essentially ready but have yet to decide what to do with regards with my phone. I am only 17 so my parents would like to have some sort of contact along the way. I also want a little music for the night so I was thinking of simply bringing my iPhone, switching the SIM card, or simply keeping my phones data off and using wifi when I can reach it. How common is wifi along the way? I would like to stay focused on myself but my mom wants to make sure I am ok! And it would be neat if I could blog a little. Recommendations?

Also coming from Canada I have a lot of euros in cash but am curious whether it is smarter to simply leave most in an account and pay the service charge to make a withdrawal? Or simply carry the cash on hand

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Your plan for your phone is a good one. You will find wifi at a lot of places along the way - many bars (cafes) and restaurants have it, most alberques do as well. Occasionally you'll be someplace without wifi for a couple days - I remember a town called Foncebadon that didn't have wifi anywhere. So as long as your parents know that you won't be in constant contact, but you will check in at least every few days, you'll be good. And with your SIM card, if you buy some small amount of minutes and text, you can communicate anywhere that you have mobile service if you need to. A quick text to mom and dad occasionally should be fine.

For cash, I'd bring a few hundred euro and then get additional euro out of the ATM as you go along. You'll pay extra fees, but you won't have to worry about having a large amount of cash on you. If you already have euros in cash, then bring what you have. Just don't exchange any more. You'll lose value by putting the euros into your Canadian bank (because it will be a currency exchange), and then lose value again when you pull the cash out in euros in Spain.

Completely going along with november_moon's sound advise, I would recommend the purchase of a local SIM card (Vodaphne, Movi, etc.) with a combined voice + data mix; the cost of about 25-30 € will get you enough of both to get you through the camino in style. Consider that you might at times not be able to resist consulting Google map or wanting to call ahead to reserve a bed on the way, never mind, –God forbid– calls of emergency.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi!

I am starting my Camino July 1st which is now very soon! I am essentially ready but have yet to decide what to do with regards with my phone. I am only 17 so my parents would like to have some sort of contact along the way. I also want a little music for the night so I was thinking of simply bringing my iPhone, switching the SIM card, or simply keeping my phones data off and using wifi when I can reach it. How common is wifi along the way? I would like to stay focused on myself but my mom wants to make sure I am ok! And it would be neat if I could blog a little. Recommendations?

Also coming from Canada I have a lot of euros in cash but am curious whether it is smarter to simply leave most in an account and pay the service charge to make a withdrawal? Or simply carry the cash on hand

I have ATT and bought a small data package and International phone package. I think it is called "Passport". I was careful to use wifi as much as possible. That way I was able to keep my same number. I highly recommend WhatsApp for texting…get your close contacts to sign up before you go and texts are free. I would bring your Euros if we are talking hundreds, but consider breaking up your cash and credit cards into two or more stashes, so if one is lost or stolen you have a fallback. Put important card info and photos of your passport on Dropbox or with someone at home in case of loss or theft. Back up your photos to the cloud as you go so you don't lose them.

I also bought a local SIM card for 10€ - voice only and used the free wifi which was found almost everywhere.

My daughter called me on video call using Messenger, and given I was visiting the fortress at El Real de Jara at the time, it was quite cool being able to point out where I had walked and show her how pretty that town is. Skype doesn't seem to work as well. We also send the odd Snapchat. I picked up a Lebara SIM at El Prat, Barcelona when I flew into Spain.
Someone here suggests having about €300 on you. I'm on the VLDP at the moment and albergues are usually €10. Assume the same for a bought meal or enough groceries to make dinner, breakfast and some lunch. You will spend more in the cities.
I tend to walk with my phone in airplane mode which allows me to take photos but saves the battery a bit.. I have an external charger battery which I do end up using daily. Most places so far have Wi-Fi.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Also coming from Canada

Your phone is probably locked and roaming fees will be steep.

I am not sure what the regulations are now, but ask your mobile provider to unlock your phone (I "think" for free if your contract has been up for 6+months, $75 otherwise).

When in Spain get a local SIM. In Europe, receiving a call is free, so your parents could call you.

Hi!

Since you are from Canada, your iPhone is more than likely locked to your Canadian carrier, contact your provider and have them unlock your phone, they will make you pay a fee to get you device unlocked, (seems Canada makes you pay, what a ripoff) and you can buy a local Spanish SIM card with data for less than €20.
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...-by-canadas-high-roaming-rates/article616433/
I withdrew €300 at a time, when I got down to €50, I would start looking for an ATM or sooner if I knew it would be a day or two to smaller towns that did not have any ATMs.
Wifi is usually available, just don't look up your banking information on unsecured wifi.

Duey, I use my iPhone every year.
Mine is unlocked and I just purchase a Spanish SIM card when I'm in Spain.
I use Vodafone and usually pay $15-20 then fill it when necessary at Tobacco shops along the way.

If you do this, you'd be smart to get a sim that allows you to talk in Spain and to receive calls, but not make them.
It will be cheaper.
Just remind your parents of the time change!

I found it MUCH easier to stay in contact with my family using email and texting.
Cheaper too! FREE!
There is internet, literally, pretty much all the way across the Camino now.
No problem finding it except in a few remote villages.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My iPhone was locked. I bought an inexpensive ATT plan and turned off my data roaming. Phone calls were still somewhat expensive but much less than calling on my regular plan (kept calls to a minimum). I could use wifi but, more importantly, could text every day without wifi. This may be a good alternative. You can simply send a text each day when you arrive at the albergue and let your parents know where you are. This will save them from worrying if you don't find wifi for a few days. They may also enjoy following you across Spain on a map! Check out your carrier's travel plans.

I am Canadian and have a Telus plan. I had it inlocked and bought a Vodaphone plan that is supposed to give you 1G and 60 min od calls home for 15€. Fat chance, afte r 2 calls I was out odpf money. First thought it was the roaming, so I ompnluy logged in at WIFI places. No difference. Next time I am paying my regular suplier for the priviledge of making obscene amou ts of money on my back. Call your provider and see what their plans are. But, if ypu can favour email from WIFI place, planning more or less your stops to be in places likely to have WIFI and tellig your parents to expedt ypu will miss a "date" here and there so they don't panic, or tell the, that the next day ,ay be difficult to access WIFI.

bought a Vodaphone plan that is supposed to give you 1G and 60 min od calls home for 15€
Anemone - Did your Vodaphone plan include text messages?

I bought a similar Vodaphone plan last year. The one time I tried to call Canada, I got a recorded message telling me something I couldn't understand. I never bothered again. Also, it didn't seem to have texts included, which would have been more useful. I think I only made a couple of Spanish calls in the end. I am also thinking of staying with my home plan, using a travel package for somewhat reduced rates, and then just using Wifi, as I don't expect to make many voice calls.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anemone - Did your Vodaphone plan include text messages?

I bought a similar Vodaphone plan last year. The one time I tried to call Canada, I got a recorded message telling me something I couldn't understand. I never bothered again. Also, it didn't seem to have texts included, which would have been more useful. I think I only made a couple of Spanish calls in the end. I am also thinking of staying with my home plan, using a travel package for somewhat reduced rates, and then just using Wifi, as I don't expect to make many voice calls.
C Clearly, it did, and yet failed me. A hospitalera tild me this used to happen to her when on a card plan, which noone has these days apparenty.

I was with Telus. Had my iPhone unlocked and bought a SIM card and phone/data package for 25 Euros. Never ran out and called home using Skype. Basically no problem at all.
BTW I waited until I got to Pamplona to buy my SIM card from Vodaphone.
Enjoy your Camino....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Also another question about converter and adapters. My sister just came back from Barcelona and I think it was the converter she used that ruined her phone. She got an ATT international plan and couldn't use her phone after she charged it for the first time. Her laptop didn't suffer the same problem.

Do you need a converter as well as an adapter? I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 android cell phone.

Btw, called ATT about their international plan and they told me it would cost $50 for a minimum of 3 months.

No need for a converter with an Iphone. Can't imagine you would need one with a Samsung. What I use is a "plug" for 2 USB slots that I bought in Spain. No need to worry about the adaptor and can charge phone and Ipad at the same time, or let someone else charge at the same time as I do. Corte Ingles will have them as well as "chinos", aka discout or dollar stores.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When you change hour Sim card, do all your contact numbers get taken off too?

Depends where you store them. On your next post you mention S5 presumably running Android. In this case your contacts aren't changed by the SIM. (feature phones typically offer the option of storing on the SIM or on the phone memory. Unusual today but still possible with smartphones)

Hi!

Hi Gauvins
I am also from Canada and I brought my iPhone and blogged every night except at one or two places that wifi was bad or nonexistent. I did not get any plan but because I had an iphone If I was at a wifi I could text to people at home who also had an iPhone for free. I also used Tango which was excellent for calling and texting which was also free. As a backup I also had what's app. It's all free and you don't need a converter just the right adaptor for your plug. I also took a small camera that had wifi so I didn't run down my phone taking too many photos. If I can help more please let me know.
Have a great Camino.

Frances
Kitchener Ontario

Thanks for the info. Had looked up amps or voltage of my phone a while back as recommended in an online article and didn't get a clear answer because my phone was slightly off on the value. I'm a complete dummy when it comes to some tech stuff.
Since Vodaphone sounds unreliable will probably go with my provider's plan. Found a multicharger but need a Spanish electric plug adapter for my potable heating coil.
Thanks for the info about where to buy such things. Will have 2 days in Seville where I can buy what I need.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Also another question about converter and adapters. My sister just came back from Barcelona and I think it was the converter she used that ruined her phone. She got an ATT international plan and couldn't use her phone after she charged it for the first time. Her laptop didn't suffer the same problem.

Do you need a converter as well as an adapter? I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 android cell phone.

Btw, called ATT about their international plan and they told me it would cost $50 for a minimum of 3 months.

Get yourself one of these, very inexpensive and also the proper plug, those US to EU adapters are garbage, they always get left behind in the socket, great for a short trip, not durable for a month or more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Ports-EU-...360?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f43b85858

Submit an unlock request to AT&T, very easy to do, takes less than 2 minutes to submit.
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Buy a Spanish SIM card with data, here are many options, cheaper than any plan through AT&T. If you want, you could suspend your AT&T service during your Camino to save a little $$$.

Switching SIM cards in smartphones is like switching license plates on a car, you just get a new number plate, everything else on the car stays the same, all your contacts, apps, photos, etc. stay on the phone itself.
I have an unlocked iPhone on AT&T and switch SIM cards when I get to my destination, (I tape the AT&T SIM card to the back of an ID card) and switch back to my AT&T SIM when I get back home.

Hi
My husband Tom also had a galaxy s5 and he only needed to use an adapter.

Frances

Get yourself one of these, very inexpensive and also the proper plug, those US to EU adapters are garbage, they always get left behind in the socket, great for a short trip, not durable for a month or more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Ports-EU-...360?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f43b85858

Submit an unlock request to AT&T, very easy to do, takes less than 2 minutes to submit.
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Buy a Spanish SIM card with data, here are many options, cheaper than any plan through AT&T. If you want, you could suspend your AT&T service during your Camino to save a little $$$.

Switching SIM cards in smartphones is like switching license plates on a car, you just get a new number plate, everything else on the car stays the same, all your contacts, apps, photos, etc. stay on the phone itself.
I have an unlocked iPhone on AT&T and switch SIM cards when I get to my destination, (I tape the AT&T SIM card to the back of an ID card) and switch back to my AT&T SIM when I get back home.

What provider is best. Some pilgrims have noted that Vodaphone was problematic. Or some hint that it's best to get Vodaphone in a big city. I'll be Seville for 2 days.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Had looked up amps or voltage of my phone a while back as recommended in an online article and didn't get a clear answer because my phone was slightly off on the value.

This should solve your problem. (it is cheaply made. I've had to put a drop of contact glue to fix the casing. But works flawlessly)

Hi
My husband Tom also had a galaxy s5 and he only needed to use an adapter.

Frances
Franpio, thanks for the info. It's reassuring. I was putting off really dealing with the issue of what to do about my cell phone. And I really depend on it for maps, communicating with family, photos, and reading.

Someone mentioned bringing a small camera to avoid using too much data on the cell. Is this really necessary? I'm trying to keep down the number of gadgets because of the weight, expense (don't have one) and worry of one more thing that could get stolen.

iPhone 6 with ATT here.

You have to be careful when calling ATT customer service. They are trained to up sell you. There are two different types of international calling plans. One is far more expensive than the other is designed for business travelers who spend a lot of time out of the country. That is the plan they quoted you. Its called ATT Global. You do not want that.

The second program, found here: http://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless/international/roaming.html is cheaper and what you want.

For a one time charge of $30 bucks you will get unlimited texting and a break on the price of international roaming at about $3 a min after taxes. So if things really go wrong, its only $1 a minute to call your folks. They will have peace of mind knowing that.

There is some bunk on there about downloading their app and using their wifi hot spots. I honestly don't know what that is about.

I leave the United States for a month each year. Ive bought that plan, kept my phone on Airplane mode except when I was connected to wifi or needed to get directions using the GPS, and never gone over the limit, except once when I was stuck on a train for 6 days from Moscow to Beijing. I went over the data limit and they charged me another $30 bucks. I would have used less data and paid more to have wi-fi on the plane trips over, so that was a bargain. I was texting my parents across the Gobi desert and didnt have a problem. I've used the wifi for weeks at a time on a remote island in Thailand, downtown Buenos Aires, and in Pamplona as the bulls have run by. I was never charged for it, so I honestly don't know what the wifi app thing is about. You are young, maybe you will understand it.

The link above will take you to the place where you can navigate to purchase the plan. It will automatically expire after 30 days and will not renew unless you go in and purchase more.

This will solve your phone and parents anxiety problems. It may not be as cheap as buying a burner and a sim card, but you will get the comfort of using your own smart phone, have access to your downloaded music and movies, and Mom can call the number she knows to reach you by voice mail.

Apple has some type of proprietary magic with their new chargers. Wouldn't surprise me to read that Galaxy has the same thing. I would not take the risk of burning up your phone. Your sister isn't the only person I've heard who has had this problem and it isn't just limited to overseas converters. Stateside charger cables are causing the same problem. Apple sells a box of converters as a set that are good for all over the world. Pack the one for the EU and leave the rest at home. It snaps on and off your current charger so you'll have no trouble going back and forth. I would imagine Samsung has the same type of rig.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry to monopolize this thread but I'm hoping this info will help others too.
iPhone 6 with ATT here.

You have to be careful when calling ATT customer service. They are trained to up sell you. There are two different types of international calling plans. One is far more expensive than the other is designed for business travelers who spend a lot of time out of the country. That is the plan they quoted you. Its called ATT Global. You do not want that.

The second program, found here: http://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless/international/roaming.html is cheaper and what you want.

For a one time charge of $30 bucks you will get unlimited texting and a break on the price of international roaming at about $3 a min after taxes. So if things really go wrong, its only $1 a minute to call your folks. They will have peace of mind knowing that.

There is some bunk on there about downloading their app and using their wifi hot spots. I honestly don't know what that is about.

I leave the United States for a month each year. Ive bought that plan, kept my phone on Airplane mode except when I was connected to wifi or needed to get directions using the GPS, and never gone over the limit, except once when I was stuck on a train for 6 days from Moscow to Beijing. I went over the data limit and they charged me another $30 bucks. I would have used less data and paid more to have wi-fi on the plane trips over, so that was a bargain. I was texting my parents across the Gobi desert and didnt have a problem. I've used the wifi for weeks at a time on a remote island in Thailand, downtown Buenos Aires, and in Pamplona as the bulls have run by. I was never charged for it, so I honestly don't know what the wifi app thing is about. You are young, maybe you will understand it.

The link above will take you to the place where you can navigate to purchase the plan. It will automatically expire after 30 days and will not renew unless you go in and purchase more.

This will solve your phone and parents anxiety problems. It may not be as cheap as buying a burner and a sim card, but you will get the comfort of using your own smart phone, have access to your downloaded music and movies, and Mom can call the number she knows to reach you by voice mail.

Apple has some type of proprietary magic with their new chargers. I would not take the risk of burning up your phone. Your sister isn't the only person I've hurt who has had this problem and it isn't just limited to overseas converters. Stateside charger cables are causing the same problem. Apple sells a box of converters as a set that are good for all over the world. Pack the one for the EU and leave the rest at home. It snaps on and off your current charger so you'll have no trouble going back and forth.

Your absolutely right. It was the Global plan they were selling. Whew, feel like I dodged a bullet.

What provider is best. Some pilgrims have noted that Vodaphone was problematic. Or some hint that it's best to get Vodaphone in a big city. I'll be Seville for 2 days.

If you can first get your phone unlocked, I recommend Lebara, they have their website in English and uses the Movistar network which is right up there with Vodafone.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi!

I have just finished - Samsung note 4 - switched off data before leaving home and was only without WiFi a couple of nights - not always great mind you

Looked up the charger and it says it's an IPhone charger. Or is it for androids too.

It can be used for any USB powered device from iPhones to Androids, tablets, kindles, and other items such as battery packs.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Spanish voltage is 220v - OK for us from the UK, but folk who have 110v as the norm will need ana adaptor plug which is also a voltage converter, unless the phone is dual voltage.
We used our phone for wi-fi and turned off data on the phone and mostly kept the phone in airplane mode (or off). We also turned off the wi-fi and data etc except when using it to save battery life. Interestingly Skype did work for us but texting was the easiest and cheapest way of keeping in contact when needed.

Hi!

Fellow Canadian greetings. Don't much cash with you it's best to get money when needed. I am doing my 7th. Camino and have always relied on the ATM . Also I'm one of those primitive piligrinose who has no phone..if need to make call buy a phone card otherwise use email or facebook.

Hi!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Would calling home to Canada collect be an economical alternative to using a cell phone? (I will carry a basic phone but want to keep it for emergencies only) Are there widespread public phones on the CF?

Public phones are NOT easily found on the CF; in fact those few that still exist are totems/tokens from the past.

Hey Duey0074
It's encouraging to hear you are going out on your own at 17. We are going with our own son (16) this year, and he will be travelling on his own next year.

Where are you starting? We will be in Roscenvalles on Canada Day. We'll keep an eye out for you. We are a family of 3, all with MEC packs.

On a recent trip to the UK my wife bought a Comfort Way Pro, which allows us to use it as a mobile hotspot. The nice thing about that is that if your device changes for future trips, it won't matter and you can still use it as a hotspot. You can also connect multiple devices to the unit. http://www.eng.comfway.com/tourist.html

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, I am just back from the CF.
I had my canadian virgin iphone unlocked, bought a 3g/voice SIM card but used less than 1g as wifi very prevalent. Had euros to start but used my credit card for bigger amount and ATM are just about every where. I also blog on a daily basis using wifi. Used Messenger/WhatsApp/Facetime and email for communication.
Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back