• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Accommodation in Lourdes Pre-Camino

NeeT

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2016
Hi all, I am planning my camino for end of June/beginning of July and was hoping to fly to Lourdes for a pre-camino wander and then get the train to SJPP. I wanted to know if there was any accommodation for pilgrims in Lourdes that someone could recommend?! Thanks in advance.:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lourdes does not have pilgrim style albergues like you see on the Camino Frances.

However when we completed our Le Puy to Lourdes pilgrimage we stayed a few nights at this place which offers budget style accommodation.

Dom PMK "Bellevue”
Router de Bartres
05 62 94 91 82
pmk-lourdes@club-internet.fr
http://www.mission-catholique-polon...noc-2012&catid=46:ogoszenia&Itemid=57&lang=fr

You need to book ahead (it is above the town, about 15 mins up the hill, and away from the action, so it is quiet

The other to consider is:
Foyer Familial
Foyers Des Soeurs de la Charité
2, Avenue St Joseph
www.dominicaines-lourdes

It is nearby the train station - again you need to book ahead.

Lourdes does not have pilgrim style albergues like you see on the Camino Frances.

However when we completed our Le Puy to Lourdes pilgrimage we stayed a few nights at this place which offers budget style accommodation.

Dom PMK "Bellevue”
Router de Bartres
05 62 94 91 82
http://www.mission-catholique-polon...noc-2012&catid=46:ogoszenia&Itemid=57&lang=fr

You need to book ahead (it is above the town, about 15 mins up the hill, and away from the action, so it is quiet

Foyer Familial
2, Avenue St Joseph
www.dominicaines-lourdes

Perfect...just what I was looking for! Thanks for all the details. Now to decide on the exact date...The summer is fast approaching!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
La Ruche on 21 Rue de Pau, dorm rooms, 15 Euros including breakfast, communal meal in the evening- Donativo. It has the very best views of Lourdes, is central and is owned by a wealthy ex business man who walked the Camino and decided to open up a Gite Pelerin. You can stay for 1 or 2 nights even if you decide to start elsewhere you just need a credential.

Lourdes (65100)

- Accueil Jacquaire (21 a rue de Pau), (05 62 97 98 21, ou 06 24 99 01 21) (à partir de 15h30; 9 places, sur credencial; donativo)

- "Soeurs Auxiliatrices" (37 r. de Bagnères) (05 62 94 05 61) - 15 places

- "Cité Saint-Pierre" (av. Monseigneur Rodhain) (05.62.42.71.11) - 2 ch. libres pour gens de passage, et pèlerins avec crédencial.

- "Entraide Saint-Martin" (près Porte Saint-Joseph) (05.62.42.79.94) - info pèlerin; hébergement religieux.

- "Accueil international" (3 chemin de l’Arrouza) (05.62.94.34.54)

- hôtels: voir l'Office de Tourisme.

- Office de Tourisme (pl. Peyramale) (05.62.42.77.40)

hébergement des sanctuaires de Notre Dame de Lourdes (sur présentation de la crédencial) :

- "Hospitalet" (3A rte de Pau) (Marie Elisabeth Aubry, accueillante de 17h à 21h) (tél 05 62 42 79 87 - fax 05 62 42 78 46) - nuit 8 €, petit déjeuner l.60 €, repas 5.45 €.

- "Ave Maria" (accueil habituel des Hospitalités diocésaines et de l'Hospitalité Notre Dame de Lourdes) - (7 av. Paradis, près du Vieux Pont, côté rue de la Grotte) (tél 05 62 94 24 88 - fax 05 62 94 85 61) - sur réservation - nuit 8 €, petit déjeuner l.60 €- repas 5.45 € - (prix spéciaux réservés principalement aux Hospitaliers de Notre Dame de Lourdes et aux Hospitalités diocésaines de chaque pays).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
La Ruche on 21 Rue de Pau, dorm rooms, 15 Euros including breakfast, communal meal in the evening- Donativo. It has the very best views of Lourdes, is central and is owned by a wealthy ex business man who walked the Camino and decided to open up a Gite Pelerin. You can stay for 1 or 2 nights even if you decide to start elsewhere you just need a credential.

Wonderful! I'll have a look. Do you know if it's necessary to book ahead?

Lourdes (65100)

- Accueil Jacquaire (21 a rue de Pau), (05 62 97 98 21, ou 06 24 99 01 21) (à partir de 15h30; 9 places, sur credencial; donativo)

- "Soeurs Auxiliatrices" (37 r. de Bagnères) (05 62 94 05 61) - 15 places

- "Cité Saint-Pierre" (av. Monseigneur Rodhain) (05.62.42.71.11) - 2 ch. libres pour gens de passage, et pèlerins avec crédencial.

- "Entraide Saint-Martin" (près Porte Saint-Joseph) (05.62.42.79.94) - info pèlerin; hébergement religieux.

- "Accueil international" (3 chemin de l’Arrouza) (05.62.94.34.54)

- hôtels: voir l'Office de Tourisme.

- Office de Tourisme (pl. Peyramale) (05.62.42.77.40)

hébergement des sanctuaires de Notre Dame de Lourdes (sur présentation de la crédencial) :

- "Hospitalet" (3A rte de Pau) (Marie Elisabeth Aubry, accueillante de 17h à 21h) (tél 05 62 42 79 87 - fax 05 62 42 78 46) - nuit 8 €, petit déjeuner l.60 €, repas 5.45 €.

- "Ave Maria" (accueil habituel des Hospitalités diocésaines et de l'Hospitalité Notre Dame de Lourdes) - (7 av. Paradis, près du Vieux Pont, côté rue de la Grotte) (tél 05 62 94 24 88 - fax 05 62 94 85 61) - sur réservation - nuit 8 €, petit déjeuner l.60 €- repas 5.45 € - (prix spéciaux réservés principalement aux Hospitaliers de Notre Dame de Lourdes et aux Hospitalités diocésaines de chaque pays).

Wow...thank you so much! It's like having my very own Lourdes yellow pages ;):)

The list of pilgrim style accommodation presented here is much more than I was able to find back in 2012, so there are obviously plenty more choices.

However given how busy and how many "tourist pilgrims" come to Lourdes each year ( it's in the millions and I believe more than those that come to Santiago, Spain ), I would book ahead.

I don't think there is any real "slow off season" in Lourdes too - it is always busy, bus loads of people arriving each hour.

Kind of crazy place.

Do you know if it's necessary to book ahead?
There are so many rooms in Lourdes that you can compare rates on booking.com when you get there. I was last there in a rainy May, and got rained in for a couple of days. I stayed in three different hotels as they lowered the rates to sell the rooms!! July is busier, so booking in advance is probably a good idea, particularly for pilgrim accommodations.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
How long would you all recommend there as I fly in at around 3pm and would like time to have a good wander around?

How long would you all recommend there as I fly in at around 3pm and would like time to have a good wander around?

This depends if you like line ups and crowds.

You certainly need more than the afternoon when you arrive. In July I could only imagine it will be busy, very busy with a steady stream of tour buses arriving during the day. Best to use that afternoon to settle in and plan the next day or two to take in what sights you want to see. We were three nights, the night we arrived and two extra and by then we were ready to leave. Personally I was ready to leave after the second night.

Plan and book ahead for anything you can.

Others that have been there more often might have another opinion.

How long would you all recommend there
The Cathedral is interesting, and has lots of views, rooms, and chapels. The underground auditorium claims to be the largest in the world, and has several altars with simultaneous activities. The grotto has regular open air ceremonies. There may be lines to fill a water bottle at the dozens of taps. The evening procession can be very long. The historic church on a hill above the cathedral is worth touring. The town itself is mostly t-shirt and plastic rosary shops. A three p.m. arrival may not allow you enough time to see the good places, but adding the next morning will.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Dom PMK "Bellevue”
Router de Bartres
05 62 94 91 82

Foyer Familial
2, Avenue St Joseph
www.dominicaines-lourdes

I have tried several times to email them and they do not respond.

I have tried several times to email them and they do not respond.

I just rechecked my old emails and I believe we ended up phoning them instead of emailing them. We tried to email them from Canada but we never received a reply. So we called and we were able to reserve a room

I just rechecked my old emails and I believe we ended up phoning them instead of emailing them. We tried to email them from Canada but we never received a reply. So we called and we were able to reserve a room
Thanks appreciate it now just for assurance which albergue was it and can you provide for me the phone number.Thanks much.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for that! I am still waiting for a reply and becoming a bit anxious so will try giving them a call. Will it be a problem that I don't speak French?
could be but try a bit of french and then ask for somebody that can speak english

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
could be but try a bit of french and then ask for somebody that can speak english
Hm, I think I will have to find a french speaker...I've never ever learnt or studied it before so could be an issue.

€83,-
May I ask which hotel? I have also been looking into AirBnB, however am a little worried about using this option as a lone woman :confused:

Née, I looked at my blog and I didn't mention the name. Let me email Joe and ask and get back to you. I'm on Camino and my notes are at home.

... I have also been looking into AirBnB, however am a little worried about using this option as a lone woman :confused:

I used AirBnB now several times when traveling without my husband, it is fine! Just look at the reviews a place gets and follow your gut instinct. Seriously, often you will barely see the owner/person that rents a place out to you. SY

There are hundreds of hotels and they're all very nice. I'd just go to booking and find one in the center of the city that looks good. There is enough to see there to stay a couple of days. Be sure to see he candlelight procession!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used AirBnB now several times when traveling without my husband, it is fine! Just look at the reviews a place gets and follow your gut instinct. Seriously, often you will barely see the owner/person that rents a place out to you. SY
I've used it a fair few times and never had issues; I think as I get older I let my nerves get the best of me. I should trust my instincts more ;)

There are hundreds of hotels and they're all very nice. I'd just go to booking and find one in the center of the city that looks good. There is enough to see there to stay a couple of days. Be sure to see he candlelight procession!

Thanks Annie! I'll certainly have a look and try to book by the end of this week. I'm quite excited to begin my camino here as there has always been this curiosity! Buen Camino :) I look forward to following your progress x

Thanks for that! I am still waiting for a reply and becoming a bit anxious so will try giving them a call. Will it be a problem that I don't speak French?
Given all the various options and taking into consideration your concerns and preferences, I would select some place nearby the little rail station which is just north of the centre of town. The place we stayed at is further up the hill and while quiet, it might be further out than you want.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sorry to keep bothering you but this place Bellevue in Lourdes you gave me as an option to stay read up on it and price list looks great. How central is it? I s it in Lourdes?

It is approximately a 30 minute walk to the Gotto from Bellevue. Nice walk for a pilgrim - about 2.5 km

Sorry to keep bothering you but this place Bellevue in Lourdes you gave me as an option to stay read up on it and price list looks great. How central is it? I s it in Lourdes?

It is in the north side of Lourdes just about a 15 min walk up the hill. I have attached a google map with the drop pin in red showing approx where it is.

The good news is they offer a free bus shuttle service into the old centre and back again a number of times per day, so it saves you walking up the hill. The old centre is lower and it is where all the attractions are ( and it is the most touristy section )

It is great place to escape the Disney world feel of the centre of Lourdes. Lourdes has a steady stream of tour buses and people ( I think they get 10 million visitors per year) and it is steady non stop tourist shops and people.

We arrived from the north ( we started in Le Puy) and basically passed our accommodation as we walked down the road to Lourdes. ( the trail actually passes by the place just west of it and enters Lourdes at the south west end of the city ). After getting settled in, we took the shuttle bus down and back again later in the afternoon in time to arrive back for dinner.

I am not if you would follow this same route back up and out again if you were walking on the Santiago for example.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Here is a link that has some more information about the place in Lourdes.

http://pmklourdes.blogspot.ca/p/otoczenie.html

It is run by Poles, so phoning them might not be a problem since I seem to remember once we were there, a number of people spoke English

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is in the north side of Lourdes just about a 15 min walk up the hill. I have attached a google map with the drop pin in red showing approx where it is.

The good news is they offer a free bus shuttle service into the old centre and back again a number of times per day, so it saves you walking up the hill. The old centre is lower and it is where all the attractions are ( and it is the most touristy section )

It is great place to escape the Disney world feel of the centre of Lourdes. Lourdes has a steady stream of tour buses and people ( I think they get 10 million visitors per year) and it is steady non stop tourist shops and people.

We arrived from the north ( we started in Le Puy) and basically passed our accommodation as we walked down the road to Lourdes. ( the trail actually passes by the place just west of it and enters Lourdes at the south west end of the city ). After getting settled in, we took the shuttle bus down and back again later in the afternoon in time to arrive back for dinner.

I am not if you would follow this same route back up and out again if you were walking on the Santiago for example.
thank am most appreciative for directions, last time did this route was at a rather quaint family run small hotel. I am sure when I get off the train someone will give me directions. I will phone tomorrow to reserve for two days. again thanks much.

Perfect...just what I was looking for! Thanks for all the details. Now to decide on the exact date...The summer is fast approaching!
Neet, greetings good news I phone the PM Bellevue this morning and they didn't English but lucky me they spoke Italian which I speak. They took my reservation and they asked when I would arrive and to phone them and they would pick me up at train station. Thought should share this in case others plan to stay there in the future. Thanks for your help and everyone else who help ciao, N.

It is approximately a 30 minute walk to the Gotto from Bellevue. Nice walk for a pilgrim - about 2.5 km

Thats about what I would suggest too: 30 minutes to Grotto and 15 minutes to the train station

€83,-
Neet, greetings good news I phone the PM Bellevue this morning and they didn't English but lucky me they spoke Italian which I speak. They took my reservation and they asked when I would arrive and to phone them and they would pick me up at train station. Thought should share this in case others plan to stay there in the future. Thanks for your help and everyone else who help ciao, N.
Grazie Nathanael! I'll give it a go with my best Italian...that'll be a real test :D

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back