Search 62305 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Pilgrim numbers on the Via are down slightly

Time of past OR future Camino
There are statistics in a graph format below, showing numbers and trends by month of Compostelas issued for Pilgrims on the Camino Via de la Plata (as defined by the Pilgrim Office).

Keep in mind that the data is by month of arrival in Santiago de Compostela.

The number of Pilgrims vary up and down by month and are down slightly overall. This is in contrast with most other Caminos which have generally shown an increase in numbers this year compared with 2019.

Via16.jpeg

How to Successfully Prepare for Your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Kev&Kath

Camino Frances - Oct/Dec 2021
VdlP - Apr/Jun 2023
There are statistics in a graph format below, showing numbers and trends by month of Compostelas issued for Pilgrims on the Camino Via de la Plata (as defined by the Pilgrim Office).

Keep in mind that the data is by month of arrival in Santiago de Compostela.

The number of Pilgrims vary up and down by month and are down slightly overall. This is in contrast with most other Caminos which have generally shown an increase in numbers this year compared with 2019.

View attachment 130775
Thanks for posting! I’m actually quite amazed at the summer numbers...thinking there would be very few walking during Jun/Jul/Aug.

Thanks for posting! I’m actually quite amazed at the summer numbers...thinking there would be very few walking during Jun/Jul/Aug.
Yes, but keep in mind that the months shown are the month that they arrived in Santiago. They would have started some time before that, depending on their starting point.

Quite popular with cyclists during the summer.
Yes, one of the issues with the Pilgrim Office data is that I can't get the raw underlying data and so while they do an overall breakdown of walkers vs cyclists vs horse riders vs wheelchairs vs boats it is not possible to do this breakdown on a per Camino basis, just overall.

However, some data is better than no data and so "Thank you" to the Pilgrim Office for their data.

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino

Molly Cassidy

Travelling light
Starting May 2023 from St Jean Pied de Port
Yes, one of the issues with the Pilgrim Office data is that I can't get the raw underlying data and so while they do an overall breakdown of walkers vs cyclists vs horse riders vs wheelchairs vs boats it is not possible to do this breakdown on a per Camino basis, just overall.

However, some data is better than no data and so "Thank you" to the Pilgrim Office for their data.
Can you do it a boat?

All the way?

Kev&Kath

VdlP - Apr/Jun 2023
Yes, but keep in mind that the months shown are the month that they arrived in Santiago. They would have started some time before that, depending on their starting point.
Very true…but finishing in Aug means you're in the midst of it in Jun/Jul.

Last edited:
Can you do it a boat?

All the way?
I have seen (from memory - I will get to this data later) up to 25 people in a month get a Compostela based on "Vela". I initially thought that this meant Candle but it turns out it also means boat.

There were some Irish mariner Pilgrims a couple of years back.

Recent years there is a regular trickle, normally some each Summer month.

Molly Cassidy

Travelling light
Starting May 2023 from St Jean Pied de Port
I have seen (from memory - I will get to this data later) up to 25 people in a month get a Compostela based on "Vela". I initially thought that this meant Candle but it turns out it also means boat.

There were some Irish mariner Pilgrims a couple of years back.

Recent years there is a regular trickle, normally some each Summer month.
I would love to do that!

C clearly

Staff member
Most years since 2012
I’m actually quite amazed at the summer numbers...thinking there would be very few walking during Jun/Jul/Aug.
the months shown are the month that they arrived in Santiago.
Very true…but finishing in Aug means your in the midst of it in Jun/Jul.
I think (can anyone confirm?) that the statistics include all the people who start at any point along the Sanabrés. The number of people who walk from Seville or elsewhere in the south is likely only a small fraction of the reported numbers, especially during the hot months. Ourense is a more popular starting point.

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How to Successfully Prepare for Your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Kev&Kath

VdlP - Apr/Jun 2023
I think (can anyone confirm?) that the statistics include all the people who start at any point along the Sanabrés. The number of people who walk from Seville or elsewhere in the south is likely only a small fraction of the reported numbers, especially during the hot months. Ourense is a more popular starting point.
C Clearly...good point!

Rita Flower

2022 Via del la Plata
Thanks for the clarification @C clearly - ah your name is true!
Starting from Sevilla in September I guess I can expect a few fellow pilgrims, but as with other routes, more as I get closer to Santiago. Of course that is obvious but wasn't in front of mind till now. 😂

Was just going to ask can it be broken down by start point to figure how many are vdp or Mozarab/vdp vs Sanabres ??
It certainly can but I haven't done that bit yet. The graph shows data as collected and defined by the Pilgrims Office. They don't publish their definitions anywhere that I can see.

If you want to know what their definition of a particular Camino is then someone should ask them.

Knowing the start city by month will help a little but won't answer the question about how many people walked vs riding a bike.

The other issue with the data is that there are so many possible starting cities/villages that the Pilgrim Office only reports on ones that have large numbers. This means that the number starting in Seville or south of that rarely get separately reported.

It would be nice to have access to the raw data but that isn't currently possible.

Last edited:
Camino Frances, Finisterre & Muxia (2018)
Camino Portuguese - Lisbon (2019)
It certainly can but I haven't done that bit yet. The graph shows data as collected and defined by the Pilgrims Office. They don't publish their definitions anywhere that I can see.

If you want to know what their definition of a particular Camino is then someone should ask them.

Knowing the start city by month will help a little but won't answer the question about how many people walked vs riding a bike.

The other issue with the data is that there are so many possible starting cities/villages that the Pilgrim Office only reports on ones that have large numbers. This means that the number starting in Seville or south of that rarely get separately reported.

It would be nice to have access to the raw data but that isn't currently possible.
Thanks Mate, Wasn't interested in the cyclist thing just given length whether the delineation between the VDP/Mozarab and the Sanabres was discernable. I'll go and have a gander at the pilgrim office. Cheers

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2022 Camino Guides