• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim reported "missing" because of broken mobile phone

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Several news websites are reporting on a search by the Guardia Civil for a pilgrim who was reported missing by his mother in Italy but who turned out simply to have a faulty mobile phone. The report triggered substantial efforts by the Guardia Civil to locate the man through likely stopping points along the Camino before finally locating him safe and well in Melide. One of the downsides of modern technology seems to be that dropping off the grid unexpectedly can cause unnecessary alarm amongst friends and relations at home.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One of the downsides of modern technology seems to be that dropping off the grid unexpectedly can cause unnecessary alarm amongst friends and relations at home.
I am torn between thinking that this is unnecessary and that it is a good thing that someone who was expecting regular contact raised the alarm when that didn't occur. I wonder whether the pilgrim involved might have used some other way of informing those at home that regular contact wouldn't be possible for some time. At the same time, I think it was the responsible thing to do to raise the alarm when contact has been lost.

We will all see this somewhat differently, but my wife and I know not to expect regular daily contact when one or other of us is travelling. More, when we are going to be several days in areas without mobile coverage, we let each other know beforehand about how long that will be and when we expect to make contact again.

There is also the prospect that some people might want to spend some time walking without the distractions of modern communications technology of any kind, mobiles, email, instant messaging, VOIP, etc. If that is so, it would seem reasonable to let one's loved ones know that, and for how long they expect to retreat from using such tools, and when they expect to make contact again.

I am torn between thinking that this is unnecessary and that it is a good thing that someone who was expecting regular contact raised the alarm when that didn't occur.
I think that both are true. The mother's anxiety seems very understandable in the circumstances and some contact from her son via another channel to explain the problem could have prevented it. Perhaps borrowing a phone from another pilgrim just to send a brief message explaining the situation.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It could also depend on the pre agreed contact arrangement. If I told my mom I was going to contact her daily and I didn't, I'm sure she would raise an alarm. If I told her I'd check in once in a while she would be less anxious.
Expectations can be very different and the availability of mobile phones and international roaming have raised the bar enormously. On my first Camino I phoned home to my wife two or three times from a public payphone and sent her a couple of letters. I doubt I would get away with that now. Many people today expect their nearest and dearest to be instantly contactable 24/7. I've raised my eyebrows once or twice at posts here and elsewhere from people who intend to carry satellite phones on the Camino Frances because of a fear of being out of mobile signal range even for an hour or two.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, My husband and I have contact by phone or text or video call regularly whether we are at home or traveling now. When he served in Korea in the 1970's he and his former wife wrote each other almost daily, but the first letter didn't arrive until almost 6 weeks after he reached Korea. Times are much different. Phone calls were prohibitively expensive.

If one of my loved ones called regularly, and then suddenly stopped calling, I would also report it to the authorities and hope that they had just dropped off the grid, or lost signal or couldn't use their phone.
In April 2015 the family of an American pilgrim reported her missing because although she called them regularly every few days, she hadn't called for a week, nor could they contact her. The last call they had was from Astorga and they thought that she might have lost signal heading into the mountains. At first everyone thought she just turn up. But, she didn't and it was only after a 5 month search that they discovered her remains in North-West Spain.
Better be safe than sorry!

Perhaps borrowing a phone from another pilgrim just to send a brief message explaining the situation.

I dropped my phone in an ALSA bus on the way to Finisterre. The manager of the Albergue where I stayed for the night did not lend me his Smartphone calling ALSA for my lost phone. I'm not sure if it is a unique case?!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Several news websites are reporting on a search by the Guardia Civil for a pilgrim who was reported missing by his mother in Italy but who turned out simply to have a faulty mobile phone.
This is just silly.

And a clear indictment of smartphone addiction syndrome.

At the same time, I think it was the responsible thing to do to raise the alarm when contact has been lost.
One brother acted extremely harmfully towards me on my first three Caminos from his unreasonable expectations from supposing that informing him of my progress was somehow more important than any of my own purposes, and decades before mobile phones.

Some people are overly intrusive into the lives of others.

Some people should simply be more trusting.

It could also depend on the pre agreed contact arrangement. If I told my mom I was going to contact her daily and I didn't, I'm sure she would raise an alarm. If I told her I'd check in once in a while she would be less anxious.
There may not have been agreement on this point. Sometimes it's easier just to turn your phone off rather than try to explain to your mother that you want some peace!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This issue has nothing to do with the Camino. Each person usually knows their mother much better than anybody else on the planet. If your mother is one who expects regular communication, and your phone goes bad, you have to let them know that you’ll be out of contact for a few days so they don’t worry.

I can think of no scenario in the Camino, where if you asked a few fellow pilgrims, that someone would not loan you their phone to call your mother! There’s a special level in Dantes hell for those who don’t keep their word to their mother, especially Italian ones. Or there should be.😇🤡

Last edited:
This issue has nothing to do with the Camino. Each person usually knows their mother better than pretty much better then anybody else on the planet. If your mother is one that expects regular communication, and your phone goes bad, you have to let them know that you’ll be out of contact for a few days so they don’t worry.

I can think of no scenario in the Camino, where if you didn’t ask a few fellow pilgrims, that someone would not loan you their phone or call your mother! There’s a special level in Dantes hell for those who don’t keep their word to there mother, especially Italian ones. Or there should be.😇🤡
I think Irish mammys would disagree and as this is an English speaking forum, there Mother should read " their mother ". Ya got that?

Samarkand.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perhaps borrowing a phone from another pilgrim just to send a brief message explaining the situation.
Assuming, of course, that he can remember the phone number. When you are a regular mobile phone user how many times do you actually physically dial the number? I have well and truly lost count of the number of times I have asked people for their phone number, and they've had to look it up on their phone. Now your mother's phone number may be a little different, unless of course it's her mobile number which she's only had for a year or two.....
I am guilty of the same sin. Had issues with my phone on my first Camino and needed to call my son - the only problem was I simply couldn't remember his mobile number, and couldn't access my phone to find it! It was the first (and last) time that I broke my own rule about writing down important info.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.